• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Having trouble figuring out which rings.

ashiha

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Arizona
Sorry to make another thread on this. I HAVE read the sticky on measuring to get the needed height of the rings, but am having trouble measuring due to the abnormal shape of my Remington 700 barrel.

Gun: Remington 700 SPS 308 Win
Rings: Seekins 4/6
Base: Seekins 1 Piece 6-48
Scope: SWFA 5-20x50 SS (don't have it in hand yet to measure)

So with that, does anyone have a similar set up that wouldn't mind sharing the heights of their rings preferably in inches?

What's happening is that I had a really cheap Vortex on the rifle as a place filler, but there was a failure of the Leupold rings which caused damage to the rings and the scope. Vortex has offered to replace the scope so I just sent that out, but have not heard back form Leupold.

I am waiting on the SWFA SS 5-20x50, but in the meantime would like to get the new Vortex mounted so I can do some more shooting. I figured that since the Vortex is a 1" that I would just buy these 1" inserts from Midway for the Seekins rings until I get the SWFA.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Having trouble figuring out which rings.

Yes I did. I assume the answer may lie in heatseekin's response, but comes with no explanation on how to figure out the contour.

" Remington 700 SPS 308 Win"

Is it a factory gun or a custom barrel? If its factory your barrel is smaller than a a number 5 contour and you can use LOW rings
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">" Remington 700 SPS 308 Win"

Is it a factory gun or a custom barrel? If its factory your barrel is smaller than a a number 5 contour and you can use LOW rings
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks so much! So the contours are just known based on the barrel whether or not it is aftermarket or stock? I'm curious to figure this all out so I don't need to ask this again in the future. Although, I suspect I won't run into this problem on future barrels.