• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

He’s just a little Guy! Let’s see the little 223 trainers!

Factor in deceleration? It's about 1.93 seconds. But still not near 7. Maybe to hear the sound bounce back if hitting a plate(do 77 grain bullets make a sound loud enough to hear at 1000 yards?)

My 1.5 second estimate wasn't entirely off the cuff. My 75gr bullet at a very pedestrian 2788fps is 1.57 seconds (bottom right). I let AB do the heavy lifting on the math so I didnt hurt myself 🤣

Reactions: MarshallDodge
@just browsing and @spife7980 thanks for the info guys...

...so I suppose my club having these monitors and big-ass sight-in plates at 600, 750, 1000, 1250yrds will come in handy?

View attachment 7707544

Ah Strategic Edge, I was just there last weekend. I shoot my Valkyrie bolt gun to 1250 all the time and yes the sight in plates do help lol. You should have no problem with a 223 at 1000.

Reactions: CK1.0
Tikka T3x Varmint threaded, 5.56 SOCOM Suppressor, XRS 4.5-30x50 in MPA folding stock.
20210922_201825.jpg

What velocity are you getting with the 85's? Nice rifle.
Right at 2750 currently, but it’s a modest load and a practically new barrel. I haven’t done any type of ladder or load testing yet.

End goal would be 2825-2850, which I believe is attainable with the longer freebore. Currently using 8208, but I also have Varget and AR-Comp depending on results.

Reactions: RFutch
Right at 2750 currently, but it’s a modest load and a practically new barrel. I haven’t done any type of ladder or load testing yet.

End goal would be 2825-2850, which I believe is attainable with the longer freebore. Currently using 8208, but I also have Varget and AR-Comp depending on results.
8208 has been brilliant for me. And it meters fantastic.

Decided I wanted to build a new .223 to closer match my AT-X weight and ergos.

Impact action with 24” Brux 1:7 .125fb shooting 85.5gr Hybrids. Some might say it’s magical.

View attachment 7771643
How do you like your FDN 25x? I've just mounted one on my T3 223 w/JVCR reticle, but haven't shot it yet. Looks like a great scope if you can get past the size

8208 has been brilliant for me. And it meters fantastic.
Yep, certainly my go-to powder for .223. Good velocity and reasonably good temp stability. Wide nodes and excellent accuracy. Hard not to like it.
How do you like your FDN 25x? I've just mounted one on my T3 223 w/JVCR reticle, but haven't shot it yet. Looks like a great scope if you can get past the size
Love it. I have 2 of them and they’ve been bulletproof over the last 2 seasons through some reasonably hard use. One of them has been dropped off a bench and both of them have had their share of run-ins with barricades… not a single issue. JVCR is awesome and if you have the internal level, it’s hard to go back to anything else.
That barrel looks very... Stiff!
Lol, few notice it and even fewer appreciate it!

Yep, certainly my go-to powder for .223. Good velocity and reasonably good temp stability. Wide nodes and excellent accuracy. Hard not to like it.

Love it. I have 2 of them and they’ve been bulletproof over the last 2 seasons through some reasonably hard use. One of them has been dropped off a bench and both of them have had their share of run-ins with barricades… not a single issue. JVCR is awesome and if you have the internal level, it’s hard to go back to anything else.

Lol, few notice it and even fewer appreciate it!
wilson-dan-appreciate-about-you.gif

Reactions: just browsing
Yep, certainly my go-to powder for .223. Good velocity and reasonably good temp stability. Wide nodes and excellent accuracy. Hard not to like

What kind of velocity change do you see with it? I love 8208 and run it in the 20 tac and 223 but noticing larger then expected velocity change summer to winter. I spent a ton of time with rl16 in another caliber and it seems fluctuate extremely minor but 8208 I shot today I was expecting 60-80fps more velocity from what my notes said during 20* c weather compared to todays 0 to -2* weather.

What kind of velocity change do you see with it? I love 8208 and run it in the 20 tac and 223 but noticing larger then expected velocity change summer to winter. I spent a ton of time with rl16 in another caliber and it seems fluctuate extremely minor but 8208 I shot today I was expecting 60-80fps more velocity from what my notes said during 20* c weather compared to todays 0 to -2* weather.
I’d say comparable to Varget and 4350. It’s really been pretty stable for me. I haven’t tested it in this particular barrel but in my experience with it, not enough to change dope beyond atmospheric conditions.

That said, I also don’t let ammo sit in the sun or out in the cold either. It stays in its case, usually in my pack until it needs to be loaded and shot.

Details on the rifle please

Built by Raven Rifles.

Kyle Taylor M40 stock with Remington 16601 butt plate.

5 digit Remington's 700

Bartlein .223 barrel forget the exact specs but it was Remington varmint at 24 inch finish.

Build pretty much is an outward representation of a USMC M40 from the Vietnam era with bedding, pillars, barrel crown in M40A1 style, and Wichita swivels.

Scope is a Leupold 3-9X "M40" replica.

Base and rings are older redfield items from eBay.

Here is mine.
Mac bros action
X-caliber barrel 18.5 1/8 twist
Stockies carbon fiber stock
Stockies bottom metal
Trigger tech special
Form 1 can
Nightforce nxs 3.5-15

Attachments

• IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Ghost231
Here's one I assembled.
Impact action
Proof 26 super heavy
Mcmillan a5 woodland
Area 419 break to tame any recoil the barrel couldn't handle.
Hawkins bottom metal
Twigger tech twigger
Bushnell scope.

Attachments

• 20230609_155758.jpg
    20230609_155758.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: MarshallDodge
I have an ARC Nucleus with a PVA 20" barrel in an HS stock. Shoots like a laser.

Best part of .223 is shooting bulk 55 grain Fed or Win I bought on a shelf for $.30 a round out to 400 yards on steel. It feels like the last reasonably priced ammo on the shelf. Locally they want $100/20 for 6.5 PRC bonded hunting ammo. The ammo should skin the deer for you at that price.

Love this little guy. Nothing special! Factory Remington 700 sps tactical 9twist 20”. Timney510, KRG bravo, bushnell DMR, surefire socom can. 69 smk load shoots well.
View attachment 7702852

Just a note on the round used by the OP. IMHO, if you have a .223 with 1:7- 1:9, you owe it to yourself to try 69 grain SMKs. In factory rounds, I believe Federal has a loading and I`ve found that Australian Defense Industry ( ADI )`s load is absolute money at 500 yards (longest range in my area ) out of my Model 12 LRPV in 1:7.

Just a note on the round used by the OP. IMHO, if you have a .223 with 1:7- 1:9, you owe it to yourself to try 69 grain SMKs. In factory rounds, I believe Federal has a loading and I`ve found that Australian Defense Industry ( ADI )`s load is absolute money at 500 yards (longest range in my area ) out of my Model 12 LRPV in 1:7.
Hey man quit telling secrets they are hard enough to find as it is!! But you are correct

Reactions: Anb618
Was shooting 223s at 600 yards 20 years ago...........kinda like that

1697032165858.png

Reactions: Bender
I has one in the works

trued Remmy 700 from the PX
18” Rem Varmint Bartlein
Really wanting a Manners or McMillan but I’ll probably end up with another Bravo since I’m a poor

Reactions: BurtG