• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Head space is tight? Origin with proof prefit

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
Just put a 6cm proof prefit on my Zermatt arms action. The headspace is a little on the tight side. My headspace go gauge will not cam over and yes I have removed the extractor. Factory ammo will fit just fine in the chamber and I have some once fired out of another gun and u can get it to cam over but it's tight. What is your opinion, is it worth pulling or run it. My thoughts are since I will be hand loading for this gun all of the time with the same brass it won't hurt anything. Is there anything else I should consider?

Last edited:
If ammo fits and/or you’re going to reload then it doesn’t matter
If it was long I would pull the barrel, but being a little short but still fitting factory ammo seems like I'll be good. I have built several guns but it's my first bolt gun and I wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking something. I'll take it and send some rounds sat.

Just put a 6cm proof prefit on my Zermatt arms action. The headspace is a little on the tight side. My headspace go gauge will not cam over and yes I have removed the extractor. Factory ammo will fit just fine in the chamber and I have some once fired out of another gun and u can get it to cam over but it's tight. What is your opinion, is it worth pulling or run it. My thoughts are since I will be hand loading for this gun all of the time with the same brass it won't hurt anything. Is there anything else I should consider?
If you're going to run with the smaller chamber, you MAY find that you have slightly tight cases just ahead of the solid web with some full length sizing dies while trying to maintain 0.002" headspace. There are small base dies if they are tighter than you want & it's certainly not dangerous or damaging to cases. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Andrew863
aJxlQMq2_700w_0.jpg