• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

headspace ar

oliver166

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2010
Ft. Riley, KS
doing my first AR build and was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good set of GO/NO-GO headspace gauges. Also, the noveske is chambered in 5.56 so i'm assuming i need a NATO 5.56 gauge. Thanks for any help.

Re: headspace ar

Im not sure what you are going to head space if the barrel is already chambered and has a extension on it? Regardless, JGS or Pacific tool would have a set of go/no go gauges for you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure what you are going to head space if the barrel is already chambered and has a extension on it? Regardless, JGS or Pacific tool would have a set of go/no go gauges for you </div></div>

Is headspace not an issue when building an AR with all new parts? I see some manufactures offer headspaced bolts that are supposed to be matched to the barrel. Is this neccessary or can any bolt be used without issues, therefore eliminating the need for a headspace gauge?

I believe you could be confident that if using a new bolt the headspace would be proper. Used bolts generally aren't used just because the theory is that a used bolt could possibly wear the barrel extension faster. AR-15 bolts are cheap compared to .308 AR bolts, never see this brought up then. I bought my headspace gauges through Bushmaster as part of one of their toolkits a long time ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure what you are going to head space if the barrel is already chambered and has a extension on it? Regardless, JGS or Pacific tool would have a set of go/no go gauges for you </div></div>

Is headspace not an issue when building an AR with all new parts? I see some manufactures offer headspaced bolts that are supposed to be matched to the barrel. Is this neccessary or can any bolt be used without issues, therefor eliminating the need for a headspace gauge?</div></div>

No, you should always check headspace.

I think what Mr. Seekins was referring to was if the barrel was already chambered and had an extension installed there was no headspacing to be done without a smith or some tools and a little know how.

I generally buy barrels with matching bolts to eliminate this need. But then again I also refuse to use the same bolt with different barrels because of wear pattern differences.