• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Hello Alaska shooters

Autoguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
49th state (Alaska)
I would like to hook up and do some shooting. I live in Anchorage so I mostly shoot at Birchwood, but I'm also a member of the Kenai range. Drop me a PM if your in the area or want to arrange a shot....JW

Re: Hello Alaska shooters

How long have you been in Alaska, come you know we are loners and hate the system. Come on, its fishing season and got to fillet those 80 Reds from Sunday.

I will be gone this Thursday and back at the end of the month and live real close to Los Anchorage and like to shoot out on the tundra and do most of my trigger work Oct-May. When I get home, I am thinking about it like I have for a while to take the Army class to shoot at Fort Rich, 600 meters but I still hate rules and confinement is why I have not yet, remember we are Alaskans!

Will be glad to go shoot with you when I get home. Should have a new stick to break in then too. I quite shooting this spring for more than one reason, mostly ammo avail and want to start again when my new toy arrives in Sept.

We use to do a multiple family camping and shoot with some hunting every Oct but for some reason put it on hold years ago but would like to get it going again and include some Hiders now that I am back into shooting more. Its hard for everyone to get time off after fishing and hunting season but who knows.

looks like i might be in nome... probably for the winter. think i'll be able to do any shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like i might be in nome... probably for the winter. think i'll be able to do any shooting?</div></div>

No reason why you shouldn't be able to. Just be ready for lots of cold wind and blowing snow.

Autoguns,
I don't really live in a place that's convenient to go shooting with others. There are others around from Ak they just haven't spoken up yet. Welcome to the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long have you been in Alaska, come you know we are loners and hate the system. Come on, its fishing season and got to fillet those 80 Reds from Sunday.

I will be gone this Thursday and back at the end of the month and live real close to Los Anchorage and like to shoot out on the tundra and do most of my trigger work Oct-May. When I get home, I am thinking about it like I have for a while to take the Army class to shoot at Fort Rich, 600 meters but I still hate rules and confinement is why I have not yet, remember we are Alaskans!

Will be glad to go shoot with you when I get home. Should have a new stick to break in then too. I quite shooting this spring for more than one reason, mostly ammo avail and want to start again when my new toy arrives in Sept.

We use to do a multiple family camping and shoot with some hunting every Oct but for some reason put it on hold years ago but would like to get it going again and include some Hiders now that I am back into shooting more. Its hard for everyone to get time off after fishing and hunting season but who knows. </div></div>

Well I've been here 37+ years . I'm also a loner , heck I can count the number of people I hang around with and not run out of fingers.

The last 4-5 years I haven't done any hunting or fishing ...Dont like combat fishing and theirs far to many tards in the woods during hunting season...So I just shoot paper "For the most part".

I ordered a GAP that should be here around the same time frame as yours so if you want to do some shooting just drop me a line anytime.

JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we might be able to put somthing togeather </div></div>

Just say when ...I'm always game...JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Autoguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well I've been here 37+ years . I'm also a loner , heck I can count the number of people I hang around with and not run out of fingers. </div></div>

I had two friends but we went our different ways, now I just go out alone or with my boys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Autoguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The last 4-5 years I haven't done any hunting or fishing ...Dont like combat fishing and theirs far to many tards in the woods during hunting season...So I just shoot paper "For the most part". </div></div>

I quit way before you. Alaska is not what is was. I tell stories fishing the Deska and we were the only boat, fishing the little Su and having to take 2 trucks with tow ropes just to get there, popping bunnies where houses are now, I am all for progress but Alaska has changed dramatically.

I ordered a GAP that should be here around the same time frame as yours so if you want to do some shooting just drop me a line anytime.

JW </div></div>

Ordered mine Fed 4, last I heard still no serial number assigned. I hope to run by GA Precision as we go through KC in about a week from now. I asked if it was finished could I take it home but got no response.

When I get home will drop you a line and hopefully get it done like breaking in new sticks.

When you guys get your gaps, what FFL's are they going through, I would love to see them there or meet at Rabit Creek or at Birchwood. Not many Gaps up here
\

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you guys get your gaps, what FFL's are they going through, I would love to see them there or meet at Rabit Creek or at Birchwood. Not many Gaps up here
\ </div></div>

Its a secret and I told the FFL it better not have any prints of any kind, and that includes eye prints on it until I get there. I really hope George has it done as we go through KC next week.

I have yet to see a GAP here but I am sure there are, I have seen several AI and a good amount of Rem 700 and Savage, and some Mauser hot rods and one Mc family build a guy bought used. In fact, I only met one shooter who even knew who GA Precision is and were amp'd to hear I had one coming....to fondle of course.

I thought you were at Wainwright but at Ft Rich? Of course you can come along and drool, bibs required though.

I'll have mine shipped to Danno at Northen. But I dought it'll be there long after it arrives.

45-308 I know of at least one GAP here in town, a guy I shoot with has a crusader.
Time before last he brought it out, I had my tuned up LTR and beleave it or not there wasn't a dimes worth of difference in groups,.375 was the average 5 shot @ 100yrds. I'm sure both rifles in "Younger hands" with better eyes could make tighter groups. I look forward to all of us meeting up at the range some time...JW

Auto,
About a year ago at Birchwood, I shot with a guy with a tricked out LTR, one of the few guys I met there I chatted with and for some reason I think I might recognize you. Its been since Dec I spent lots of time there.

I have wanted a customer built stick for 40 years but never tried to pull the trigger. Wanted a 280Rem or 338-378/416 wildcat. For quite some time I drooled over HS Precision since handling my first one. I almost dropped the coin 4 times on one.

I did not go with GAP necessarily to get tighter groups over my SPS V, back last fall it holed .452 5 shot .346 3 shot which for me is outstanding, just wanted a customer stick, was selling off closets full of kit I collected for 20 years and light bulb went off, why not order a rifle, started searching and Feb 4th I called George and talked, he said let me know and I said, order it. I know it will not make me a better shooter but let me think it will, please.

What did you get? I ordered a Crusader with extras but now wish I would have done it different.

Honestly, I would rather shoot my pistols and Nylon 66.

AK 11, you retire or separate? I retired 2001, dropped my paper work 24 days before 9/11 when all went on hold. They begged me to stay but after years of the desk and military politics, I was going to be forced to PCS to the east coast, family wants me to be around after missing them grow up so I said nope, I am retiring.

It's all cool and groovy, when I get home in 3 weeks, lets work out the details and pull the trigger sometime somewhere. Its a small community here and we may have all met at one time or another. The old Nike missile site, Chickaloon, Cantwell and some others are good open spaces to shoot.

It very well my have been me, I shoot at the 300 range "for the most part"

As for your question regarding which rifle I ordered , I ordered a Crusader as well, only options I added were a Jewell trigger and a threaded BBL.

JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Auto,
About a year ago at Birchwood, I shot with a guy with a tricked out LTR, one of the few guys I met there I chatted with and for some reason I think I might recognize you. Its been since Dec I spent lots of time there.

I have wanted a customer built stick for 40 years but never tried to pull the trigger. Wanted a 280Rem or 338-378/416 wildcat. For quite some time I drooled over HS Precision since handling my first one. I almost dropped the coin 4 times on one.

I did not go with GAP necessarily to get tighter groups over my SPS V, back last fall it holed .452 5 shot .346 3 shot which for me is outstanding, just wanted a customer stick, was selling off closets full of kit I collected for 20 years and light bulb went off, why not order a rifle, started searching and Feb 4th I called George and talked, he said let me know and I said, order it. I know it will not make me a better shooter but let me think it will, please.

What did you get? I ordered a Crusader with extras but now wish I would have done it different.

Honestly, I would rather shoot my pistols and Nylon 66.

AK 11, you retire or separate? I retired 2001, dropped my paper work 24 days before 9/11 when all went on hold. They begged me to stay but after years of the desk and military politics, I was going to be forced to PCS to the east coast, family wants me to be around after missing them grow up so I said nope, I am retiring.

It's all cool and groovy, when I get home in 3 weeks, lets work out the details and pull the trigger sometime somewhere. Its a small community here and we may have all met at one time or another. The old Nike missile site, Chickaloon, Cantwell and some others are good open spaces to shoot. </div></div>

I sep in 96, here in afew weeks lets get some range done. I have been her all my life (besides in the Service) Where is the Nike sight near Chickaloon?

45.308 I just received a call from GAP ...Looks like I'll have my Cresader by mid next week....Did ya get yours yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I sep in 96, here in afew weeks lets get some range done. I have been her all my life (besides in the Service) Where is the Nike sight near Chickaloon? </div></div>

I think hes talking about the Nike site at the end of Knik Goose bay rd..But I could be wrong..JW </div></div>

That is correct, there is 1000+ at the end of the road too. Chickaloon is shooting along the Matanuska River and is not that long but no rules.

Well the GAP showed up today!!!! I received a call that it had arrived Only problem was I was about 10 miles off the road 4 wheelin
cool.gif

I'll pick it up as soon as the GS opens in the AM....Now we gotta hook up for some range time...JW

You my friend are happy, however I am not, it been near 7 months.

I may have some time on Tues or Wed, depending on moose/bear hunt or not that is swinging 50/50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You my friend are happy, however I am not, it been near 7 months.

I may have some time on Tues or Wed, depending on moose/bear hunt or not that is swinging 50/50.

</div></div> 7 months!!! WTF!!! What extra mods are you having done??? JW

Going to be up there mid november sometime and was wondering if anyone wanted hook up and shoot. Going to be around the anchorage area and was looking to shoot out far as I was thinking about bringing my 338 Lapua with me. Have never done any shooting around the anchorage are just fairbanks.

Squarebanks is a better area than Anchortown for everything but shopping. I do all my range time on Tues at sun up and sometimes Wed. There are few areas to stretch the legs on 338L near the roads. Anchorage area has lots of more housing and people than Squarebanks area.

How long you be in the area?

I am user something can be worked out.

Drop a PM and if you need anything or help, ask.

Anyone heads down to the Kenai/Soldotna area send me a PM-I go to the range almost every Sunday rain or shine, 70degrees or 0. I'm a member of Cooper Landing Gun Club and you can shoot rifle to 125 yds or use the new pistol bay. Here by the house is a private 300 yd range I have permission to shoot at also. I shoot a variety, depends on my mood on the day or which rifle needs a load check. Mostly by bolt .308 and .223.

Was there today, thought the weather would be Alaskan but it was nice warm and sunny but did have 4.6mph half wind, 43.6F, 72.5% humidity, forgot to get other INTEL, got a new toy I played with.

One of my worse days ever at any range was today. Nothing was in sync. Too many others there too.

Sat? Cant!

Hey, I just moved from Eielson down here to Elmendorf, I need some shooting partners as well.

I shoot almost every Tues @ Birchwood at sun up, sometimes on Wed. Never on the weekends unless its open tundra.

I wish we could get on the range on hte Glenn, the one by the weigh station. Birchwood is nice but I want to strech the legs with out flying somewhere.

We / you can at least this is how it was explained to me. I know a guy who worked at the Fort Rich range who told me about it. You must go and get training from the Army and then can go use their range.

Many citizens and military do not know about some law that states we can use their property. It was on Gun Talk about the time Zumbo opened his stupid mouth. I did limited research then, hopefully someone can help out.

At the end of Kink Goose Bay at the air strip, you can stretch the legs to 1000 or so. There are many places to do this, the problem is a back stop with no people in the area; hikers, climbers, skiers, snowmachiners, dog mushers, etc that Alaska backcountry is full these days. We use to fish the tide in Wasilla, drop the poles, pull out the long guns and short guns, smoke up the area, then jump back to fishing the creek when fish ran. Love them old days in Alaska. Where did they go??????

Knik Glacier...if you can get back there, take two rigs with plenty of tow straps

Hatchers Pass

Chickaloon along the Mat river

Eureka

Cantwell, this is where we did our annual family camping, shooting, hunting trips and can stretch the legs 15 miles. We plan to get it back on this fall, its my last fall here so.....

They still have NIKE sites up there?

They were rippin them all out long before I got there, we had 3 or 4 behind Eilson - actually slept in one one night, had a FIRE in it, albeit small but it was cold....

They are kinda cool to play in...

Wish I could come up there and shoot with you guys.....there's TONS of places to go shooting around Fairbanks - don't "need' the range, you can go right out of fox and make your own 1k ranges all day long..

All deactivated. We still have active missile sites though.

Squarebanks is a different area. We have plenty of areas too it is south central has 5 times the people and 80% of them are outdoors. From Trapper Creek south to Anchorage its all housing and business now. All the dirt wheeler roads off the Parks have pavement and houses. These days, it is really difficult to not see people in the backcountry. And, like the 70s & 80s, we are getting a massive influx of out of work people.

There are areas, you must be aware of backstop and someone wondering through.

Come on up and take my place.

Thanks for the offers but actually looking at how long I am going to be up there and some of the stuff I all ready have planned I am unfortunately going to have to cancel on the shooting part. Will be back there next year sometime so will hopefully be able to shoot then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the offers but actually looking at how long I am going to be up there and some of the stuff I all ready have planned I am unfortunately going to have to cancel on the shooting part. Will be back there next year sometime so will hopefully be able to shoot then. </div></div>

Bizz or pleasure or both?

Offer stands, need any help, let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the offers but actually looking at how long I am going to be up there and some of the stuff I all ready have planned I am unfortunately going to have to cancel on the shooting part. Will be back there next year sometime so will hopefully be able to shoot then. </div></div>

Bizz or pleasure or both?

Offer stands, need any help, let me know. </div></div>

It is both and got everything handled but THANKS for the offer!!

Man, I was just in Kenai for 2 weeks visiting a friend. I was about to go through trigger withdrawals! LOL We could of hooked up........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I was just in Kenai for 2 weeks visiting a friend. I was about to go through trigger withdrawals! LOL We could of hooked up........ </div></div>

Not sure why all those Hiders who come to Alaska do not let us know they are coming. Its always after they get back to the states they say they were here.

Offers still stands, anyone coming up let me know.

What you do while here?

Howdy, If there are in folks in the Fairbanks area that would like to get together for some shooting, send me a reply. I am hoping to find a place out the Steese that is accessable and can offer much more distance than south cushman.

I am in sc but if you ever get close, let me know. I rarely get to squarebanks these days.

There are some gravel pits or were anyway south along the Parks out to around 600 but beware of houses. We did our annual family camp, shoot, hunt along the Denali but its been 10 years since.

I still want to put together an Alaskan Hide shoot but its Alaska with great distances between Hiders and everyone is busy all the time.

I guess a half dozen or so in SC. I may try to set it up but with our plans to move to MO this summer, time is not on my side. Plus once summer gets here, nobody has time trying to get summer in before winter. I have the place, we need a time. Of course we all could just meet somewhere.