• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up HELLO FROM VIRGINIA

Re: HELLO FROM VIRGINIA

nostyta what range do you go to? the only one i know around bristol is jacobs creek near mtn city. but it only goes out to 100 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXHoPXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nostyta what range do you go to? the only one i know around bristol is jacobs creek near mtn city. but it only goes out to 100 yards </div></div>

No ranges around my area. I've got a couple places that I have permission to shoot at that I can place targets out to around 800yds.

Then you got Ray's.
FUN SHOOT AT RAYS IN VA

Some pics from the fun shoot last year.

Fun shoot at Ray's in VA. 2009

800 yards? holy shit. the furthest ive got is around 300 yards. And thats when cows are'nt in the way

Howdy all,
New to the forum. I just purchased an AI AE Mark I .308 and live in Hampton, VA. I'm also a member of LaFayette Gun Club in York County.

Well, I just signed up, too, and not sure where to post - there's a bunch of forums, it seems, but I just like to shoot and hunt, period.
I'm actually in NC, about 30 minutes from Mt. Airy, and do some shooting and hunting in SW VA.
Would like to find a reasonable place to shoot, hunt, etc., even in VA, seeing as it's pretty close to me.
Sure are a lot of NICE guns here on this site.
So, where in the world does one from this area go to shoot long range? Prolly would like to get into reloading, too, so maybe some people out there can be of help with that, too.

Tan Man

I tried to get information about Cavalier several years ago with no luck. If you get any info from them I would be up for some shooting.

bshaw

another Virginian here. Live and work in NOVA but I shoot out in Culpeper on my "farm".

Any ideas for a get together? I've been wanting to try my rifle out out at some longer range targets.

Anyone willing to host a fall shoot after the summer heat breaks?

For anyone interested that doesn't already know...there are monthly long range High Power Rifle matches held at the US Training Center (aka Xe, aka Blackwater) more or less year round. The facility is located in Moyock, NC, just across the NC/VA border (South of Norfolk). Matches usually cover standard 200, 300, 600yd ranges, with some any/any matches at 1000yds. See the Norfolk County Rifle Range (NCRR) website for further info... - - <span style="color: #009900">NCRR</span> - -
It does require some planning and leadtime to attend as coordination is necessary with the match coordinators to get on the access list to enter the facility. There's also some good monthly matches for 3-gun and USPSA pistol/shotgun/carbine action held at the Xe facility.

Hope to see some of you at these events, I can provide more info if anyone is interested. I've been concentrating on the High Power Rifle events lately myself.

Good shooting
cool.gif

Aloha! New to SH. Representing NOVA. Interested in connecting with the VA crew to shoot longrifles and/or bowhunt. Looking fwd to meeting folks from the Commonwealth!

Hello Virginians,
New to VA and the SH site... I am Still active duty military stationed at the college of William and Mary... Yup ROTC and just getting in from Okinawa JA so I am still waiting on a few things to show up. I am still waiting on a NF scope I ordered, and all I have to shoot right now is an AR and a 700 in 223. Now that I have time to shoot for fun and pursue long range tactical matches as a hobby I am looking to link up with some folks that may have a place to shoot other than on a KD range.

ssatt68,

Check www.quanticoshootingclub.com. Your best option in the NOVA area. Pistol, Longrifle, Shotgun, and Archery ranges. Outstanding staff and very helpful shooters. Range 1 (7-300 yds) open most Sundays. You'll need to supply your own targets and target stand. Note: non-military personnel may also become "Members" via sponsorhsip.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Thanks,
I am planning to shoot high power at Q next year... Right know I shoot with NCRR down at blackwater and at the lafayette Gun Club...
I was thinking more about large plots of federal/state land were you can shoot if you have a hunting license... Out in the western states if you have a hunting license you can shoot year round species like crow magpie etc or just det up targets at unkd and shoot

anyone looking to link up, i am here in quantico, and a member of the quantico shooting club so i can sponsor. anyone interested just drop me a pm

I moved here from Colorado, where I could set up a range in the national forest at any distance I wanted. Not that I could hit a darned thing, but the freedom was nice. The lack of an abundance of public property in VA is driving me nuts.

Anyway, I live in Fredericksburg and am a member of the Northern Virginia Gun Club in King George. Would love to get together with y'all for a group event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lexington - Welcome to Old Dominion! We'll have to link up at Q and burn some powder. </div></div>

I'm all for it. I'm open to any invitations. Thanks for the welcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmtsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bluefield is my home, lots of good info here.

dmtsc</div></div>

Woot for Bluefield!

I am assuming if you go to a club its Triangle? Or if you live in Tazewell you jus own a lot of land and shoot there? haha

I'm going to be Northern VA when I'm not OCONUS for work from now on. I'll be back again in March, always looking for people to shoot with.

Hey guys, new memebr here. I live in York county but work in Norfolk. Just saying hey and see if anyone gets together at the range regulary.

There is a course hosted by C2 shooting center the 15 16th of Jan in Virginia Beach for anyone interested, its a Jason Falla course, Check out Grey Group for the info.

Where do you guys shoot in Va????
I have been trying to find somewhere to shoot at a good distance (~500-600 yards) or even just good practice inside of 300 yards on groundhogs, but have had no luck. It seems like the best I've got here in lynchburg is Izzak Walton with 300 yards and a $230 Price tag every year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RRR is open to the public for certain events.

Roanoke Rifle Club

Most all of the Matches are open to the public.

The Skeet field is open to the public during operating hours.

Sporting Clay Course is by appointment only ( I'm pretty sure).

I can bring a Guest a couple times a year per individual.

I am all for bringing a Hide Member over to shoot on the 500 yard range.

</div></div>
Dennis I might just take you up on this!

anyone that can make it to quantico to shoot on my beloved marine corps' ranges tomorrow, sunday the 9th let me know

I'm gonna try to make it up there for one of the FCSA shoots this year and check it out, I've heard lots of good things about Q.

So, I'm headed to Richmond this weekend and I hoping to get some rounds down range... I've found some indoor ranges in or near Richmond but I'm looking for something a little longer than 25yds. I've also seen that the Amelia Wildlife Management Area has a range... Who's been there? Is it any good/still open? Or if anyone has any other options for me, I would appreciate it...

@ dohnuts58 - I am planning to shoot Range 1 at Q on Sun (1/23). 300yd training. Hit me if you plan to shoot and we'll link-up.

I am from central Virginia, (Lake Anna). I love to shoot at paper and groundhogs in season. I shoot Fridays at Piedmont Sportsmans Club in Gordonsville with my Dad, who is a member there while I wait on my membership. They have a 300 meter range there.

Macgyver, I'm just up the street in Staunton. I don't quite have my rifle together yet but looking to in the next 6-8 weeks or so. I would like to hook up and find some places to shoot around here. There has got to be a few farmers around that would be willing to let a small group of responsible shooters on there property for a few bucks. There is a new range opening just west of Winchester, its a 1000 yarder but costs 400 bucks a year! Theres the Stonewall Jackson shooting club but the longest range they have is about 300 yards I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason Wells</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Macgyver, I'm just up the street in Staunton. I don't quite have my rifle together yet but looking to in the next 6-8 weeks or so. I would like to hook up and find some places to shoot around here. There has got to be a few farmers around that would be willing to let a small group of responsible shooters on there property for a few bucks. There is a new range opening just west of Winchester, its a 1000 yarder but costs 400 bucks a year! Theres the Stonewall Jackson shooting club but the longest range they have is about 300 yards I think.

</div></div>
Might want to check Stonewalls prices, heard they're steep. I work between Staunton and Waynesboro and live in Harrisonburg. I wish my R700 was only 6-8 weeks out. It just left on the brown truck yesterday, probably going to be around 6 months out, then back on the truck after test firing for finish work for another month or so. Looks like the AR is going to get most of the groundhog action this summer. Good luck finding a farm around here to shoot on. Been looking for a while myself. Not many opportunities around here any more for target practice other than the expensive private ranges or the crowded public 100yd ranges.

Sterling/Herndon here. Looking to find some good spots for long range shooting.

Looks like the club near Winchester is top notch but I just dont have the time to drive 1.5 hours up and back to shoot, anyone know who/ how to contact someone at Stonewall?

If anybody is having a hard time finding ANY place to shoot, you might be my guest at the Northern Virginia Gun Club in King George. It's 200 yards max, but at least you can punch some paper or dial in your new scope. I can't take large groups, but can take one, maybe two people at a time.

Hello,

I've PM'd the following a message to a couple members that live in VA. Instead of contacting everyone directly, I thought I'd then post it here and see who else I could get to lend an insight on living in VA....

"I'm talking to a job recruiter about a possible position in Charlottesville, VA. If you know the area, great...please tell me what you can. If not, please tell me what to expect with being a VA resident. Such as taxes, vehicle registration, any weapons restrictions...whatever you think somone new should be aware of."

Thanks,
Allen

If you hunt, you'll like the fact that you can hunt with an AR here as long as the caliber is adequate for the game you're after. Night hunting of predators with artificial light is allowed. The Rivanna gun club in Charlottesville has a 300yd range as well as CMP matches from what I understand and there are a few decent gun shops in town and several more really good ones within an hour or two drive.

Downtown is pretty much college dominated in my opinion, but they seem to do it better than Harrisonburg from what I have seen. Lots of decent dining and clubs, but again mostly college dominated downtown. Airport access just on the edge of town which is a small airport, but still carries decent flight destinations. Shopping isn't bad, not a backwoods area nor a metropolis. Lots of good vineyards and festivals all around the area if you like getting out. Awesome scenery just to the west on the Blue Ridge parkway and lots of things to do nearby.

Virginia is a pretty gun friendly state. Ownership and use of cans isn't a problem here from what I understand, I don't think full auto is a problem either, never really looked into the auto deal. No handgun or hangun ammo certifications for ownership like NY. CCW is not hard to get and not expensive. Seems like we have a good bit of CCW reciprocity the last time I checked with states to our south and west.

Vehicle registration is a yearly deal as well as inspections. County and city decal and taxes vary greatly, not sure how C'ville handles that one. Lots of business in the area, should be able to land a decent job there. C'ville is right in the middle of everything. You are a short hop from DC, Richmond, Harrisonburg, Lynchburg. Roads and traffic aren't too bad and several byways and interstate 64 come through town.

Good luck with your move and your job hunting.

I live over the mountain in Staunton. Staunton is alright as far as towns go, C-ville is much bigger and a little more to do in town. It is pretty much a college town and in my opinion that makes it expensive. If you like history- there's plenty around. If you like night life and such there's some around, but as far as hunting goes there's basically no public land in that area without driving probably an hour or more to the east or west. I travel all over the country for work, and believe me, compared to a lot of other places in the country- central Virginia isn't a bad place to be.

I'm thinking about moving from North Carolina back to Virginia and I'm looking for a gun friendly and low cost of living county and maybe a job for an old guy. Anyone got any recommendations? I'm retired and can't afford the Northern Va. area so that's out all ready.

Lynchburg area (surrounding areas like Campbell Co.) are fairly reasonable, and even with Liberty University it's not reall overrun with college nuts
wink.gif

just like anywhere, if you stay away from the larger populations the costs are pretty low. If you like the Lynchburg area then take a look at the 29 corridor between Charlottseville and Lynchburg. Put's you out of town far enough to have reasonable property costs, but close enough to two pretty large towns should you need something.

If you want to be further from the big towns, lower costs, and really like a small town feel then stick to the western side of VA. If you stay west of I-81 things are pretty cheap and population density is low- and the mountains are beautiful. If you want the same thing further away from the mountains go to south-side VA around Martinsville, Danville, Basset etc.- there just aren't many jobs down there.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm trying to sell a Bass boat and some other stuff now to get enough cash together to move back to Va. I just want a place out in a county that you can shoot on and have no restrictions. Being close to a good Bass lake (got two boats) would also be a plus.