• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up HELLO FROM VIRGINIA

Re: HELLO FROM VIRGINIA

You have several options, Smith Mountain Lake is a well known lake but property around the water is very high, but you can head out away from the lake about an hour or less south of Smith Mountain an property is much cheaper- BUT not much else around. If you head east or west towards Bedford or Rocky Mount there is more around but the property is a little higher. If you really like the mountains and small mouth bass then Lake Moomaw is nice but very far away from anything other than the small town of Covington. Claytor Lake has a lot of bass- smallmouth, largemouth and spots and the property is much cheaper than Smith Mountain and a lot closer to town- Christiansburg, Radford, Blacksburg than Moomaw. Another good thing is that all three of these lakes are within 2-3 hours of each other so you could always live at one and make weekend trips to the others. There is also lake Anna in the middle of the state but again its far away from most of the towns and fairly expensive to boot.

Good luck with your search.

Don't forget about our "big" lake down here... John H Kerr Reservoir, AKA Bugg's Island Lake. 900+ miles of shoreline & plenty of fishing. Just had the new state record Blue Cat (109 pounds) caught locally a couple weeks ago. Good Striper fishing too. Land around the lake is pretty expensive, but once you get out a little bit it's not too bad.

I totally forgot about the big lake down there, I've never fished it. That's a heck of a fish @ 109 lbs!

I've fished Kerr several times and always did pretty good there. I've been looking hard in Pittsylvania County, kind of half way between kerr and Smith Mountain Lake. That area seems to be semi reasonably priced. Are there any ranges in that area that you can shoot long distance??

No real "ranges" other than little local gun clubs that go out to 200- 300 yards. We have a couple of spots on farms here where we can get 500-600. Still looking for somewhere to get 1000+ though. Plenty of farms around, but it's tricky to get someone to let you shoot since most have livestock or crops in the ground.

I live in Luray. So not far from H-Burg or Culpepper. I'm up for some shooting. I have 100 yard PD range. I just got a new GAP Crusader. I'd love to stretch her legs out.

I live here in Vagina too Spotsylvania to be exact and would like to get together to do some shooting. Only place that I have to shoot now is a 200 yd, lost access to a 800 yd and a lot of land to hunt on because of some politics. Has anyone done any research on the link to the VAGUNTRADER forum on page 2.

Hi, I'm still looking for a place and found two that are promising, both of them are withing 25 miles of Kerr. That's one of my favorite places to fish. One of the properties, with a little chain saw work could let a guy reach out to 500 yards with no problem. Just don't know if I swing getting that one.

I'm in Fredericksburg; work on Quantico. Have not joined the shooting club on base yet but am planning to. Always looking to meet more local shooters/hunters. got cold beer in the fridge and a closet full of rifles.......

Joe

MCB Quantico Range 4 Sat, July 9, 9am – 4pm
Same again Sun, July 10, 9am – 4pm

Fredericksburger here. I shoot at the NoVa Gun Club in King George. Been lurking around the boards trying to educate myself. Nice to see so many from VA.

Quick question to all who read this thread, does anyone have space that a young guy could come out and shoot some yotes? The only range I can take my rifle to here on Quantico, is range 4, due to caliber restrictions as I have a 30-06. I will gladly return the favor, however I can, just someone PLEASE help me out with this. I do not get to shoot my rifle enough, and want to change that.

Thank you in advance for any assistance on this

Moving near Scottsburg Virginia near the Staunton River State Park in about a month. Is there anywhere to shoot on that side of the Dan River? I think the closest range is in Clarksville and that would be about a 45 min. drive.

Hello,
I'm new to the forms. Been shooting a while though. I'm in Chesapeake, VA.

KT

Anyone shooting F-class at butner from va?

KT

KT

I attended my first match (1,000yd) there December of last year and plan to be at all the matches I can this year...great place, greater-er people!

God bless,
-Jarrod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome Jellybean! Your not that far out yet!</div></div>

Sure feels like it...
Seems like everything's WAY up in NOVA.
frown.gif

VA HTF on ARFCOM is getting together to watch Act of Valor at Reston Town Center (NoVA) on Febuary 25th. Meet at Panera around noon for lunch then do the movie at the 1-2pm time. Exact times TBD.

Chantilly funshow is the second weekend in Feb.