• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help A Hide Brother - Funds for JMGlasgow

At this point I think insurance adjusters are lower on the shit scale than ambulance chasing lawyers (ahem...Frank Azar). My truck got totaled a few years ago and I got screwed on that as well.

Insurance companies are the biggest crime syndicate in the world. Remember, they are not in the business of paying...

I found all this out with major car accident 4 years ago and surgery last year because of it. Guaranteed replacement cost is a must on everything, high limits, umbrellas. I am well protected now. Wish I knew all that years ago. Paying more each month is peanuts when you need the policy.

This whole episode brought a lot of things to mind for me, so I got on The Squaw about how our insurance is?
Going to anyplace with her to do business is like getting caught between 2 Rabbis fighting over a foreskin and I just sit in the corner and cower.
Anyway, I did find out we do have good insurance but pay for it and I was amazed at the "riders" she has written in. Everything is covered.
Bless her heart, she knows much more than me about such matters for were it I that was getting this shit done and I was burned out, the insurance co would probably bring me a can of dog food and say here you go, we are gone.

In other words, you may be sucked in with what an insurance agent tells you but in reality all he/she did was just that, Sucked you in and you thought you were good.

Let us all learn a lesson from this, You may not be covered as well as you should be or think you are.

The Eagle shit so the check is in the mail. FM

Last edited:
Either you or I live on the wrong side of the country or I would be there to offer my help. Assistance sent your way.

Reactions: Bender and 1J04
I think it's ACV, no ALE, and I don't know what co-insurance is.

That is quite unfortunate. No PA or attorney is going to be able to anything with that with the carrier. Did your agent advise you to go in that direction? If he or she put you into that from an RCV policy and didn't advise you of the changes you may have a little hope, but ultimately, acv is acv. Work on the amount of depreciation and make sure they aren't depreciating labor or demo if they cannot in WY. (most places do not allow) Get a couple of quotes from restoration companies and see what can be done. Unfortunately you self insured for the, in this case, non-recoverable depreciation.

Yep, learning that the hard way. Also finding a decent insurance agent isn't easy.

Since the insurance company and your originial resstoration company don't agree on scope an / or pricing, get two more estimates from other restoration companies. Servpro, Servicemaster and PuroClean. Call all three if the first one isn't one of those. You will be able to present those as alternatives to the original and the adjuster's. If all are higher, take it to the adjuster's manager. You will at least have a higher starting point from which to assess depreciation. Then work on reasonable depreciation amounts. Don't let them use a flat percentage across the board. It should be individual line item depreciation. Not on demo or labor. And non should be done on any cleaning.

Coming up really hard on 4K in less than 48 hrs. Break it in a donation or two. Plus who knows how much coming in by snail mail.

Anyone heard from @j-huskey ? He usually likes tossing in a couple bucks on these. Ping him and see what happens..... ;)

Bender works for a living, so thats prolly why he blew you off on the phone call.....

I RO ed with Jeff at a SnipersHide shoot some years back .
He is a very safety kind of guy but forgiving if you just "Kind of fuck up a little." but don't fuck up a lot or you are gone and don't try to game him.
His wife is one of the kindest persons I have ever met.
Even though I had met neither one of them before and all of us were running very low Bucks, I felt very comfortable sitting on their tailgate and sharing sammiches and other lunch stuff.
Just a right in there Dude. All this, coming from a Boomer. FM

You know I'm down, I'm always down. I can always manage to help a brother on the 'Hide in want but in need or down on his luck for sure. It's just prior to the 1st so hopefully that'll help pull in more donations from us pensioneer farts and what not.

Had to do a roof last month on a "new" house out of the blue, sucked up all my fun money. Still got some insulation and drywall/paint work. It's not a fire but I get it, it sucks.

Hang in there man.

PS, glad important stuff like this goes Hide Wide, thanks Frank. Good people making good stuff happen. For other good people.

Happy to help out a fellow Hide member and Wyomingite. I am a few hours away but if I can do anything outside of the dollars sent let me know and hope everything works out! I will 2nd what others have said - this is what makes the Hide a great place.

Ok, I went and met with Jeff. The house is well past $18k damage. Jeff is in good spirits, considering. Lots of heat damage and water damage. The adjuster needs to go work at McDonald’s or sell pencils on a corner. What a joke.

anyway. I am unable to do anything tomorrow but if we can plan to be there next Saturday at 9:00, I think it will go quickly. as you can see, the trees are not that big and should come down quickly. I’ll bring a saw and long arm trimmer.
anyone is more than welcome to come over and help or even just offer moral support.

the yard is huge and has plenty of felling room.
19857B8F-C9A1-466A-B082-767B6788D2FC.jpeg
48CF4F7F-8DE8-423C-8C4B-E6F3D8B9DFFE.jpeg
3611E09A-F9E6-43E5-9FF3-556E13061738.jpeg

@Bender - I feel like a little pussy and next Saturday is my little angel’s 8th birthday party 1200 - 1500 in Lakewood......

I really hate to miss some good work and meeting some Hide brothers in person.

I bet before this is wrapped up there might be another opportunity to help Jeff and his family.

@Bender - I feel like a little pussy and next Saturday is my little angel’s 8th birthday party 1200 - 1500 in Lakewood......

I really hate to miss some good work and meeting some Hide brothers in person.

I bet before this is wrapped up there might be another opportunity to help Jeff and his family.

if you want to come up tomorrow afternoon. Like 1:00 or so I might be able to stop by. I just have a bunch of samples to run in the lab for work.

I got called up to federal jury duty starting monday, and if I get out I need to go back to work. If anyone is wanting to come up it would have to be on a weekend. Either day is fine, my schedule is basically clear to deal with this until it's over.

Things are in a holding pattern until the adjuster and the restoration company hash things out on what the house needs to be made whole again and what it will cost on my end.

Everyone on this site has shown more support and generosity than I ever thought I would experience. I've never met most of you and I consider you all my friends.

I got called up to federal jury duty starting monday, and if I get out I need to go back to work. If anyone is wanting to come up it would have to be on a weekend. Either day is fine, my schedule is basically clear to deal with this until it's over.

Things are in a holding pattern until the adjuster and the restoration company hash things out on what the house needs to be made whole again and what it will cost on my end.

Everyone on this site has shown more support and generosity than I ever thought I would experience. I've never met most of you and I consider you all my friends.

It's a helluva way to find out, but as @lowlight pointed out, it's really a community, a Brotherhood, of like minded folks who aren't willing to let one of our own stand alone during something like this. And again, it's our great pleasure to be able to help anyway we can. Pretty incredible!

We appreciate the updates and look forward to assisting you deal with this most unfortunate experience. We have your back Brother!

The insurance company also just issued the $18k check. I'm not cashing or signing anything. I told him to stop the payment and he said he can't which is bullshit.
Get a good attorney. A mean one.
There’s a loss of use clause in most homeowners. You should invoke that and make them pay up.
There’s also contents coverage which they also didn’t pony up for. Damage, return to usable, etc.
Water damage is another covered peril under a HO3 or 7. Fire hoses spray water. Not your fault so they owe you to make that whole.
A good attorney can look over the policy and identify what you need paid for. There are quite a few things I didn’t mention. Computer coverage, $200 in cash coverage, any jewelry, watches etc.
There’s a helluva lot more owed to you than just what they said.
PM me if I can help.

We were told yesterday that the $18k was just the start. But our adjuster hasn't said anything like that yet, and we haven't been in direct contact with our agent (only his assistant) to explain how this all works and the steps that will be taken to make our house whole again. I'm just confused and feeling left in the dark about all this.

Reactions: TACC and Bender
I think I'm going to need to get a storage unit for my furniture and the rest of my stuff that is still in the house and garage that is salvageable. I'll probably get a dumpster to get rid of the garbage. The trash company picked up my cans since we suspended service for the time being.

The restoration company should do a pack out, cleaning and storage after cleaning of all of the contents, and then they will deliver it back to you, assuming you have contents coverage. All of it will need to be cleaned or at minimum, ozoned to remove odor if there are no soot particants on it.

Reactions: Dewey7271
We were told yesterday that the $18k was just the start. But our adjuster hasn't said anything like that yet, and we haven't been in direct contact with our agent (only his assistant) to explain how this all works and the steps that will be taken to make our house whole again. I'm just confused and feeling left in the dark about all this.

If I was in your situation and left to deal with my agents assistant, Id be extremely pissed.

That's his God damn job, he better get to doing it.

Ok. Make sure you don’t sign anything accepting entire or complete settlement. Partial is ok if it says that.

for an insurance agent to pass on the opportunity to demonstrate why you placed your trust in his company by taking personal ownership of the issue at hand is inexcusable! Assistant?? I’m furious for you!!? Kindly let the assistant know that you expect to hear from your agent directly?

Reactions: JMGlasgow
I'm with the get an attorney and don't sign nothing crowd! Get them by the balls and squeeze. Hard!

Reactions: Dewey7271
an attorney is going to be throwing good money after bad if he has a shit policy (by his own admission). No ALE and ACV is a shit policy. An attorney isn't going to shit with that. If there is a problem with scope and pricing between the carrier and the restoration company, bring in another restoration company and get a comparative bid. You would get more than one on a car repair, get it for the house.

It sounds like the adjuster isn't communicating well with their insured, assuming it is a company adjuster. FInd out why the company and restoration company are so far apart?

Again, there is little an attorney is going to do with a shit policy by charge billable hours for little to no gain.

The policy apparently was better before it renewed and somewhere it changed and got worse. Even my agency is confused so now I don't know what is going on. I haven't hired any lawyer yet we are just talking. I had Foremost email me my policy in it's entirety and the lawyer is going over it now.

The other restoration company has a clause in their contract that the insurance won't pay for because of the way it's worded, and they weren't recommended by anyone except my adjuster which makes me suspicious. They also just happened to leave their business card on my boarded up front door not even a day after the fire.

Servpro and Service Master are in the area but they don't do everything like All Phase Restoration does. They are the contractor and are the best at what they do.

I'm not sure how much Western Sky does but they weren't recommended except by the adjuster like I said earlier.