• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HELP! Dead air lantac dragon torque question

nikdanja

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Warrenton Virginia
The dead air lantac break doesn’t have flats to attach a wrench to. Right now I have it shimmed and tightened down with a strap wrench but worried that it will come off over time.

I’m not lock-tightening this break because odds are I’m gonna swap it out down the road.

Dead air customer service still believes covid is a thing and isn’t picking up the phone. So I don’t know how to tell if this is torqued properly.

It doesn't have the wrench flats in the back?

1612191008603.png

Reactions: Pusher591
1 drop of high heat lock tight or rock set with a strap wrench will do. Most people have issues getting stuff off later because they apply the logic of a little is good more will be better.

Wait 24 hours before shooting and you still shouldn’t have any problem getting it off later.

The dead air lantac break doesn’t have flats to attach a wrench to. Right now I have it shimmed and tightened down with a strap wrench but worried that it will come off over time.

I’m not lock-tightening this break because odds are I’m gonna swap it out down the road.

Dead air customer service still believes covid is a thing and isn’t picking up the phone. So I don’t know how to tell if this is torqued properly.

I would contact Lantac, they are the ones that make it under the Dead Air licences. It should have wench flats. The one that I had did. If you plan to mount a can then you need to cinch it down with more then a strap wrench and add some Rockset.

Stick a piece of bar stock through the ports and crank it down.

Reactions: kd185
Flats are on the back. They're a pita to get purchase on if you're wrench is too fat in certain situations though. Stick something through the ports strong enough but don't brake it. I use roksett on mine. High temp loctite is a mofo to get off sometimes. Having your brake come off with your suppressor can be worse though.

I placed my barrel in a padded vise, and tightened the brake by putting a LARGE screw driver through the ports. Do NOT over tighten eirther the vise or the brake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jigstick
I’ve done it that way too. With the DeadAir 3 prong flash hiders. Just slap a wrench through the prongs and hand tighten it on. I’ve never had one come loose

The other option is to buy a cheap wrench from harbor freight. And grind down the open end to make it thinner. That way you can get purchase on those flats easier.

I’ve done it that way too. With the DeadAir 3 prong flash hiders. Just slap a wrench through the prongs and hand tighten it on. I’ve never had one come loose
On the 3 prong you can actually use the tines in a wrench also