• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help from the 175 SMK/I4064 Loaders

I might have missed it but how far off the lands are these currently loaded?

I measured 2.282 to lands using a Stony Point/Hornady tool.

From what I understand that tool probably measures an ogive to lands touch likely to be .002 "jammed" unless you are real careful with the touch.

But anyway its the number Im going with 2.282 and these are 2.2795 or so.

I got the lands measurement as an average of ten measurements and I got the 2.2795 from the average of 5 of my loaded rounds.

Possibly .0025 off the lands.

Three hundred yards with the 2.8771 load.

I did adjust the seater in a CH to see if I could get that one round that would not allow the bolt to close to now close.

It fit today and I fired that round as my cold bore. I used 4 rounds of "Team Never Quit" (FGMM 7.62X51) to warm the barrel and shooter.

View attachment 7125219

"Team Never Quit" approximates M118LR so my scope zero seems to be dead nuts. My starting dope on the MST was 3/+.5 E - 0 W.

I held the same dope and moved over to my second target.

View attachment 7125220

I went spastic on my first five because it was for record. Looks like I need to reload my Sharpie.....how many grains of red ink?

I dialed off the +.5 on the scope and shot the next 15 rounds at 3/0 E - 0 W.

Pretty happy with that but Im getting at best three in the magazine. The rounds are too long.

The way I measured to Lands (Hornady Tool) Im probably actually jamming the bullet.

I have 25 more rounds of this made up and I am going to seat each group of 5 - .001 - deeper and see if I can get the longest round to feed five from the magazine.

Shot my target in groups of 5 which I prefer to do.

Used my new Rifle Kuhl to give the barrel a five minute fan session between groups....

View attachment 7125224

Seemed to work good.

Brought my new to me 70 plus year old cover to the range too.

View attachment 7125225
Saw this today, reminding me of this post.....

He has that hat on Ebay also.

Gen Foote would have been my boss if I lived in that age doing what Im doing now.

That Hat is in great shape.

The one I got is not too far off of it in condition.

Posted about it here......

Picked mine up while I was off work for an appendectomy. Too much time watching kids and perusing Ebay.

Bought some neat old stuff of the past few weeks to include an Eagle Globe and Anchor for my Campaign hat

a sight for my Model 70

1565402874175.png

and what I thought I would never be able to find.......a 60 point slide filler for a Lyman receiver sight.

1565402929392.png

1565402967009.png

@AMGtuned

Think I mentioned it before but if/when in Portland visit the Portland Military Museum.

Its a private museum run by a guy that did well and business in wants to give back to veterans and his community.

I thought of him in relation to this because he has campaign hats laying around his museum to outfit a company or two.

Up by Bangor way another neat museum Cole Land Transportation Museum is an interesting take.

Man that started that one ran Cole trucking. WWII vet.

Museum has lots of transportation exhibits and he built a nice memorial to honor his WWII comrades.

Good stuff up east.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Great finds! Too much time can be dangerous; you know what they say about idle hands.....lol. Down time for me, is my wife, and savings, worst enemy.

ETA, posted before your 2nd post. Thank you for that info. I steer away from Portland as much as possible, but I would be interested in visiting the museum in Bangor. Lifelong resident, and I've never been. Much obliged

Reactions: pmclaine
Great finds! Too much time can be dangerous; you know what they say about idle hands.....lol. Down time for me, is my wife, and savings, worst enemy.

ETA, posted before your 2nd post. Thank you for that info. I steer away from Portland as much as possible, but I would be interested in visiting the museum in Bangor. Lifelong resident, and I've never been. Much obliged

Leaving the Cole museum take the road headed down toward Acadia and there is a neat old gun shop that also deals in war memorabilia.

Couple old down easters run that one. Nice guys gave each of my kids a steel penny from WWII era when I dragged them in there. Cant miss the place has Japanese and Nazi flags painted on the sign.

Another 1/4 mile down from him big surplus store/gun store....new guns and some junky surplus.....big ass place though.

I might just go tomorrow. I believe I know exactly which two gun stores you are referring to. I have fam in southern ME also, so Portland is not out of the question. Portland just reminds me too much of the few years I spent in beacon hill working for ATT. Not much of a "city slicker", but as I grow older, I appreciate history more and more. And now that I have kids to share it all with, it makes visiting those places that much more enjoyable. Thank you

I know where all those places are, just did not know the museum names. Great thread. And in regards to your lust for shooting in a big field, I just might be able to help with that one of these days.......
20190602_131027.jpg

20190602_131037.jpg

And forget that Bangor lobster, next time you drive through, I'll get you some fresh off the boat ?

And forget that Bangor lobster, next time you drive through, I'll get you some fresh off the boat ?

Very nice range.

Tough to judge distance in a 2D photo Im guessing at least 600 yards possibly out to 800 maybe more?

Jealous of you guys with the area to stretch out the lead.

You live in a beautiful part of the country.

Lobster off the boat is the best.

Have family further North and in Trudeauistan - PEI to be specific. Best lobsters I ever ate were "fresh off the boat" from the cold North Atlantic. Flash cooked than put on ice. They may have been a little short but man they were sweet.

Good eye! That side is 600. Turn the corner to the right and you can get 900

Just to put a conclusion to this....

Ran the numbers on 42.2 they looked less than my goal.

Upped it to 42.3.

m40a1.jpg

m40a12.jpg

m40a13.jpg

Not as dependable as FGMM but it will be a good range round.

Why didnt anyone mention 42.3 at the start of this?

They will most certainly have a POI shift, but it will not affect group size.

I disagree and agree... let me explain

I have a couple threads here on the hide, or possibly weighed in on existing threads about magnetospeed...

while there are reports of people using this device that see no change in POI shift or group size that is not statistically the norm..

group size is very dependent on barrel harmonics.. and no matter the barrel taper, thickness, ett.. no barrel on the planet to include ammunition manufactures test barrel rigs are immune from harmonics.. tap your barrel with something hard.. if it rings, it has harmonics..

group POI is also dependent on barrel whip and its been proven that barrels indeed 'sine-wave' when disrupted by the enormous energy released at ignition

adding ANY weight to the end of a barrel effects both of these variables ... it can make a bad load appear to shoot better, and it can make a good load shoot bad... this is the basis of the BOSS barrel tuner, as well as a system used by bench rest shooters that have threaded and weighted disks at the end of their barrels and can adjust both weight and very fine in and out distance at the muzzle to fine tune a load based on conditions

now.. we add something that is unique to JUST the magnettospeed...

people have been perplexed when they thought they could eliminate the weight and harmonics issue by fixing the MS to their rifles not by the barrel, but by an elaborate system attached to the stock or handgauard .. especially with the AR crowd.. and guess what.. it didn't work.. people were still seeing POI shift.. well how can that be

my working theory is that of co-planer close surface aerodynamic upset ... yep a mouthful but its been studied and proven..
I was a military jet jock and hold masters in aeronautical science.. but its a phenomenon studied in both jet aircraft and projectiles

one of my previous writeup on the hyde can be seen in this thread among others . https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/new-magnetospeed-mounting-option.6889446/#post-7085257
post 37

but the JIST is ... an object flying over a close surface at high speeds will have different aerodynamic drag, pressure, and shockwave interface on said body that can provide for a change in trajectory ...

1580828959888.png

1580828985593.png

1580829007548.png

In my rifles.. 5.56, 6.5-284, and .308 .. my rounds fly high with MS attached.. I have to aim .5 to .8 MIL LOW with the MS attached to get close to the MS OFF POI ...

further, if I rotate the bayonet to the side, the POI shifts away so if I move it to 3oclock the POI goes left, 9oclock right, 12 o'clock the POI shoots low... its repeatable every single time.

When i first purchased the MS I believed the hype about no shift and tried to load develop with it on.. it was an exercise in futility .. sometimes at ideal nodes MS ON/OFF would be about the same group size wise, but I had nodes that would should .3MOA groups with the MS on that went 1.0MOA+ with it off.. and vice versa..

so now my load development goes like this

MS ON .. run a ladder of 2 shots each just for velocity and max pressure limits... graph velocity to see where optimal charge weight nodes exist... generally I will see a low and high node where velocities will level out

then run the same loads except 3 round groups round robin and I generally will reduce increments and only shoot loads that are centered on 2/3 below and one above each optimal charge weight plateau ...

generally this optimal barrel timing exercise combined with optimal charge weight will highlight nodes where both SD meed harmonics and will cluster nicely...

fine tune with seating depth

the MS on to get final velocity and SD numbers.. if the SD continues to look good (and it almost always does since we chose a node of charge weights where there was a plateau .. then the velocity data is used for ranging and truing for distance..

of course this is just my technique but I will say for certain that the MS does change POI and group size when its attached... its just physics .... and you can't cheat physics...

100 yards, 25 inch Schneider, 175 SMK, CCI 200, I4064, FGMM 1X brass

Rifle

View attachment 7056301

Target

View attachment 7056302

Numbers

41.5 is a great group. 41.2 will win number wise. Really 40.6 to 41.5 all are pretty good.

View attachment 7056303

now that we have some of the magneto speed variable explained lets get to the OPS question .. about an actual 4064 load...

loading for 308 is by some peoples accounts. .. very easy.. its a forgiving caliber with inherent accuracy.. however since 308 is ubiquitous there are millions of component combinations out there, between bullet shapes, brass manufacturers and case capacities (different capacities even with the same headstamp) things start to get a bit more complicated

since the OP really didn't state much in the HELP department .. lets assume that accuracy is important but since its a tactical rifle I am 'ASSUMING' that velocity is important as well... 175s in a 308 start becoming a reloading challenge for distances past 800m because most loads begin to go transonic there. while the 175 SMK is a good bullet with decent transonic characteristics .. its not immune to instability and its worse with crosswinds than say a berger

so if you want to be at 1k you need velocity to keep you at mach 1.1 MINIMUM and better 1.2 so you are well out of transonic

you are not going to get there from here (at your charge weights) .. you are at the lowest of low nodes using FGMM brass (newer mfg)

on what I call a 70s day .. 70 deg F and 70% humidity a MS velocity of 2700 BARELY gets you to the target above mach 1 so you are already into transonic by then.. and any colder or denser air... and it gets worse

so you need speed.. but speed usually comes at a price, accuracy.. because more speed needs a bigger fire, more gas, bigger explosion, more barrel upset, and the higher the velocity node, the more narrow it becomes in general as far as OPTIMAL CHARGE WEIGHT and OPTIMAL BARREL TIME .. since the bullet is leaving earlier in the upset , the barrel whip is faster with more amplitude and depending on the powder, the pressure curve can get spiky

V
V
1000992 to 1008-365.3-10.1101.52.81170.71.038532.51.688297.18.3
10251018 to 1032-393.7-10.7108.12.91141.91.012506.61.753308.58.4
10501043 to 1057-423.8-11.2114.93.01115.50.989483.51.819320.28.5

now.. not saying that it can't be done at 1000 with a slower node... Brad Suave the 2004 nation F-TR champ was using a load that was in the 2600 region but that was when the X ring was twice the size.. now the X is 5" at a grand.. and for that .. any bullet instability puts you out of the game.. worse again if winds are strong.

now if you need terminal effects at distance.. i.e. killing bad guys.. again.. velocity = energy and that is one of the reasons uncle sam has ALWAY loaded high nodes at the expense of absolute accuracy .. M188LR, 77g MK262, MK318, the new MK248 Mod1 300WM is way OVER pressure in any rifle not using the military chamber - all at the edge not the most accurate but will kill at range.

so lets look at FGMM which by the way is made by the same people that have the contract at Lake City military currently ...

FGMM 308 175 comes in 2 flavors now.. both with 175SMK GM308M and GM765M

the GM308 shoots at a lower node than the GM762 and in fact .. having talked to Federal to confirm several years back.. GM762M is over-run MK316 military sniper ammo .. the follow on to M118LR, which has had different powders and recipes over the years... http://www.snipercentral.com/history-m118-ammunition/

early in A-Stan is was obvious that M118LR wasn't cutting it.. the bolt gun snipers didn't like it because velocity between cold nights on the mountain and hot days saw 200+FPS velocity swings and in the hot summers pressures even for bolt guns were getting high and it was breaking op rods in the newly resurrected SOCOM M14s that were being used ... so Navy CRANE spec's out MK316 .. more velocity with a faster powder that would have better temp stability and function in bolt and semi auto M14 and M110 rifles... MK316 was born

Now in my rifle, a 24" schneider barrel 6 groove, with a VERY TIGHT chamber and short throat, just off the lands of 175smk with OAL 2.86ish (Beasly Plama reamer from PTG) I get PHENOMENAL velocity from FGMM762 ... MS 2765 FPS with SD of 7 and ES of 18 on a 70/70 day with better than .5 MOA accuracy ... remember that is MS velocity . mil spec velocity is 75 FEET down range, not 1" from the muzzle.

The spec sheet that has circulated the web has confirmed that the powder used for MK316 is indeed 4064 although the powder charge they list, 41.x is way too low to get these kinds of velocities and it has been suggested that its definitely NOT canister 4064... for me.. in low volume brass like the FC11 brass of 1x MK316 and old LC85 match brass.. 43.3g of my lot of 4064 gets me to 2780FPS SD 10 and ES of 26 ... holy CHIT thats smokin

Dan Newberry, the 'inventor' of the OCW method of reloading has long suggested this as a node.. on the high side in 'military brass' like LCLR, MK316 (LCXX), and late model FGMM.. all very close to the same weight and volume brass.. you will need more powder to reach that velocity in Lapua and even more in Winchester brass as they have greater capacities..

your 25" barrel length my not be optimal for harmonics... I figure you went with it because the marines used it (until they went 20").. yes.. BUT they BED the action AND barrel.. they bed the barrel 1" in front of the recoil lug ..effectively giving it a 24" beam length.. this has long been a 'standard' for barrel lengths in high power rifles going back to the late 1800's .. probably not by coincidence ...

Also, GM308 is loaded with less powder, about .5g and is at a lower node ~2600 fps last time I used it.. its a more forgiving node, slightly better accuracy across a broader range of rifles.. its a very good GENERIC load but hand loads can beat/match its accuracy at a higher node..

also GM308 is not bullet or primer sealed like GM762, and GM762 is supposedly running a harder primer cup according to Federal

so it really depends on what you are looking for for HELP

if you have a load that groups well, with the MS off and the rifle set up the way YOU intend to shoot it.. AND it has a velocity and SD you can live with that is all that matters...

for me, I take my rifle to both F-Class matches at 1000 for fun (can't compete most guys have rifles that have paint jobs that cost more money than I spent to put my rifle together) and to PRS matches.. so for ME I need at LEAST 2700 at the muzzle with 175s to cheat the wind and stay above mach .. BUT I HAVE TO HAVE a single digit SD and will take 3/4 MOA at 100 with a 5 SD over a .4 MOA load with a ES of 60 because at 1000y a 60fps difference is FEET off the bull down range.. run the numbers in a ballistic calc if you don't believe me... SD is EVERYTHING at range especially with a 308 that is coming down practically vertically at 1000, look how narrow that danger space is in the chart above.. column 2 .. its real narrow...

if you were only going to shoot inside 600 .. perhaps 168 is the way to go bullet wise, the 168 SMK is inherently more accurate in MOST rifles especially 1/12 twist, and at the lower node I have had batches of FGMM 168 (a low node load) that would stack more than not with SDs in the 3-5. a phenomenal load.. and that is the reason most SWAT departments use it... over the 175.. no department in the US would authorize a shot outside 150yards.. so for them its about in close accuracy, not velocity or energy at 1000y .. the difference of a inch is the difference in hitting the hostage not the bad guy

this just scratches the surface...

IT ALL DEPENDS is how I will end it...

Here is a great article that does a pretty nice job of explaining optimal barrel time OBT .. optimal charge weight OCW is a concept that is very hard to put on paper as its 'internal ballistics' and how powders perform with pressure, heat, volume, etc that even Aberdeen proving grounds and the Army can't fully explain or understand other than to know its a factor in ammunition design and testing..

another thing I will add is that depending on use (single shot hunting vs string fire )

if you need a load that will always place the cold bore in the exact same spot without heating up the barrel (hunting) vs a somewhat in the same spot cold bore but the groups don't open up as the barrel heats up ..

that could be 2 different loads entirely ...

@squib-load

You the man. Did you stop to breathe in that furious typing?

This is excellent information and you have valid questions concerns my intended useage and the equipment I want to do it with.

That rifle is a PWS Hobby Lobby rifle so it has the USMC armorer barrel pad you wondered about.

Very rarely do I get to shoot beyond 300 yards and If I do often I will bring 175 FGMM with me to take some of "me" out of the equation.

175 SMKs are desired because the BDC on the turrets is set up for such. I agree I have found 168s to be more accurate over my 300 and in distances, even out to 600, but I want to set my dies up one way and run them. Im not going to be plugging in different seating depths.

I do mess with different powder charges among various rifles in .308.

My rifles are toys. Even at 1000 yards Im shooting at greater than MOA targets - steel torso. So unlike you I have room for error. Still though if I am whacking a plate at 1000 with a torso representative of a skinny, not your typical American, I think that an accomplishment.

I think its been awhile since Ive had the A1 out. Ive had 400 rounds or so of ammo sitting in the can for a few months....If its sunny Sunday Ill take twenty to 100 yards and shoot 4, 5 round groups to see if Im still happy. If its cloudy Ill go to the 300 yard range with 20 rounds and a 6 or 8 inch Shoot-N-C and hope to keep them in the 3 inch ring. My 300 yard range faces west and I can only shoot after 1500 so sun limits being able to see the target boards.

My goal is a "respectable" ammo that doesn't beat the crap out of my gear on its weekend bench shoots.

I am a Fudd that shoots paper to beat my own expectations.

If I can improve I accept all help in doing so.

So GM308M is 168gr, the GM308M2 is 175. GM762M2 is the MK316 Mod0 overrun. That’s the stuff loaded with 41.7grs of 4064. That stuff does 2580 FPS from a 24” barrel. The commercial 308 is often loaded with different powder. I’ve had lots shoot super fast, over 2700. That lot had over 44grs of powder in it.

So GM308M is 168gr, the GM308M2 is 175. GM762M2 is the MK316 Mod0 overrun. That’s the stuff loaded with 41.7grs of 4064. That stuff does 2580 FPS from a 24” barrel. The commercial 308 is often loaded with different powder. I’ve had lots shoot super fast, over 2700. That lot had over 44grs of powder in it.

I have found none of it loaded with 41.7 .... again.. that is ONE govt build sheet .. that may be a typo or more probably it was a hot batch of 4064 that was not canister grade....

when federal/lake city goes to work up a new lot. they don't load to a set powder weight spec.. they load for a velocity spec and set / adj / blend powder whatever is necessary to keep pressure and accuracy within the stated mil spec as well

The govt spec for MK316 ammo is 41.7grs of 4064 to generate 2580 FPS from a 24” barrel which is exactly what you get when you load 41.7grs in a FC case.

The govt spec for MK316 ammo is 41.7grs of 4064 to generate 2580 FPS from a 24” barrel which is exactly what you get when you load 41.7grs in a FC case.

First off... 2580 is not at the muzzle... its at 78ft as that is where the military spec sets the velocity screen and to get that you need to be doing ~2700 at the muzzle

second.. I have loaded 5k+ 175smk using 4064 over the last decade, and even with tight chamber/bore rifles I have NEVER seen 2700 at the muzzle with ANY bullet at that low a charge weight.. now I have not seen a Unicorn either but that doest mean they don't exist.. but I call bullshit

further...as I have stated.. Federal, the guys that make the stuff... told me specifically and I have also witnessed as I have shot both the real mk316 as well as GM762 that they are indeed hotter than straight 175 match.. and since FEDERAL has NEVER released a Gold Medal match round that was bullet and primer sealed.. and Uses FC11 brass not the usual gold medal match markings .. its is indeed overrun Mk316 .. and it gives me WAY MORE that 2700 at the muzzle ...

now you can continue to load blindly to the irrelevant 41.7 if it makes you feel better .. but even Lake City / Federal doest load that way.. as I have told you.. if you look at that spec sheet is specified the lot number of the powder.. its a build sheet for billing purposes after they come up with a lot batch.. they will use whatever quantity of powder gets them to the spec velocity and accuracy requirements per batch.. 41.7 is so weak you should wear a skirt while shooting it...

now I speak fact, I speak from experience and I speak with references to the manufacturer ..no internet commando gossip...

Reactions: Sierra770
I miss the days I could walk right into Federal and buy match ammo for like $4 a box. That's one perk I sorely miss.

What the trick to low single digit SD? Do I need a $4K scale that can detect quarter kernels of 4895? Plus perfect shoulder bump, plus perfect neck trim length, plus perfect neck tension, plus perfect seating depth, plus sorted brass, plus sorted bullets, plus no copper in the barrel, plus plus plus?

Yea I cant manage that.

Last edited:
First off... 2580 is not at the muzzle... its at 78ft as that is where the military spec sets the velocity screen and to get that you need to be doing ~2700 at the muzzle

second.. I have loaded 5k+ 175smk using 4064 over the last decade, and even with tight chamber/bore rifles I have NEVER seen 2700 at the muzzle with ANY bullet at that low a charge weight.. now I have not seen a Unicorn either but that doest mean they don't exist.. but I call bullshit

further...as I have stated.. Federal, the guys that make the stuff... told me specifically and I have also witnessed as I have shot both the real mk316 as well as GM762 that they are indeed hotter than straight 175 match.. and since FEDERAL has NEVER released a Gold Medal match round that was bullet and primer sealed.. and Uses FC11 brass not the usual gold medal match markings .. its is indeed overrun Mk316 .. and it gives me WAY MORE that 2700 at the muzzle ...

now you can continue to load blindly to the irrelevant 41.7 if it makes you feel better .. but even Lake City / Federal doest load that way.. as I have told you.. if you look at that spec sheet is specified the lot number of the powder.. its a build sheet for billing purposes after they come up with a lot batch.. they will use whatever quantity of powder gets them to the spec velocity and accuracy requirements per batch.. 41.7 is so weak you should wear a skirt while shooting it...

now I speak fact, I speak from experience and I speak with references to the manufacturer ..no internet commando gossip...

I don’t blindly load 41.7 I dunno where you’re getting that from. I’m referencing the spec sheet. Is that spec sheet fraudulent?

Plus you’re a bit off on the 78’ thing. It would be 2625 at the muzzle, not 2700.

Military MK316 mod 0 load data is 41.7 grains of 4064.

I have had good success with 43.2 grains if I remember correctly. Please work up as I don’t have my load book with me to verify.

I have pulled apart various lots of GM762 as well as Mk316. Charge weights varied within the window of 42.5 and ~43.5 grains. I have never seen anything down as low as the original Crane spec sheet.

The MK316 you pulled apart was military issue or was it GM762M2? Could it be the GM762M2 stuff is ammo that failed inspection because it was out of spec? So they reboxed it?

I have pulled apart various lots of GM762 as well as Mk316. Charge weights varied within the window of 42.5 and ~43.5 grains. I have never seen anything down as low as the original Crane spec sheet.

I have found the same

@918v

I also stand corrected when I posted you need 2700 for 2580 @78ft .. I forget to shift my ballistic calc from meters to feet.. I was watching a movie with the wife at the time... so I walked it back incorrectly using 78M instead of Feet

secondly ... unless someone can point me to a reference I have never seen a military document with a velocity spec for Mk316 other than to say that supersonic at 1000. the 2580 number is an old velocity from m118 days ...

I can tell you with absolute confidence that having shot mil box AND FGMM762 that it is way hotter than 2600 at the muzzle .. again in my rifle the last box of reference GM762 that I used clocked 2765 at 65F with my MS sporter.. now my barrel has a straight taper and the sporter does not correct for that but I am betting that slight angle does not effect the reading by more than 1% so even at 2% that would be ~+50fps max .. so still above 2700 in MY 24" barrel buy the required throw of MY LOT of 4064 requires ~43.5 grains with MY previously fired FC cartridges from the GM316 AND mk316 AND it needs MORE in Lapua cases since they have greater volume

any fudd that thinks they can read a spec sheet and blindly throw that amount of powder to get equal results is a moron, and doesn't understand the very basics of hand loading and will likely get injured some day.. as its those people that take someone else's loads off the internet and blow them selves up on the range ...and I have seen it ... twice...

one guy blew up his pistol with a fairly nice gash in his hand and damaged pride, the other, killed his son with a home-brew dup of military Mk248mod1 300wm... brand new off the shelf rifle, hand loads he didn't work up properly and his kid took the first and last shot from that rifle as the barrel went down range, and pieces of the receiver went though the metal roof of the line building and some took off the right side of his skull

so lets look at you other 'WINNING' comments

'With 42.2/4064 2.8” doesn’t work.' yeah.. why not.. I can and have tested in that range and depending on brass lot and throat length have seen good results there.... and with more powder that that

"As far as correlation or causation goes, I don’t know why" the only correct thing you say here

"I’m getting 2700 with FGMM and 2580 with 41.7/4064 in the same barrel per my magneto speed." OH so YOUR findings are closer to mine.. and if you are referring to regular FGMM 175 and NOT FGMM762 .. the 762 load is hotter ... and you just proved my point since again.. I have fired the mil ammo right next to FGMM762 and the velocities were very close and nowhere near 2580 so you are making my point that 41.7 IS BULLSHIT for a mk316 FGMM 'clone' ...

"When I pulled one apart it had 44+ grains of an extruded powder definitely not 4064. Didn’t shoot all that great. My handloads shoot 3/8 MOA." AS I KEEP SAYING .. regardless of commercial or military contract ammo, FTK/LC or anyone else for that mater DOES NOT SPEC A POWDER OR LOAD .. they SPEC VELOCITY/SD/TEMP STAB/ etc .. the mfg will take whatever powers are available or blend to MEET THE SPEC .. that build sheet is not the spec.. its what is required by contract to demonstrate to the GOVT how that lot was assembled.. nothing more...

"For what it's worth, I'm loading 42.5 grains of IMR4064 with Sierra 175 Matchkings and 180 grain Gamekings.
Remington brass, Remington 9 1/2 primers, 2.225 base to ogive. Sub half minute of angle accuracy. This is a max load in my rifle, 2,580fps from my 20 inch Savage barrel." GOOD FOR YOU.. that means nothing to the rest of us.. nobody serious about hand loading for accuracy uses REM brass... or uses a SAVAGE barrel.. how is that for making a blanket statement .. loosing more credibility by the minute

"43+ gonna be too hot in FGMM brass." I use 43.5 of 4064 in MY rifle all day long and at velocities above 2750 .. I have shot 25+ round strings in F Class comp at over 90F and get no pressure signs.. but thanks for playing I use 44.2 in lapua brass too.. same velocities ...

Factories for commercial ammo load for the lowest common denominator .. for high end rifles with hand lapped barrels to rough button rifled junk like your Savage ... and they load at low nodes to avoid law suits.. now on the other hand.. Uncle Sam does load and has loaded ammo at or even ABOVE SAMI and CIP spec... MK262 is a perfect example .. that stuff runs so hot that its a one-and-done load in my rifle .. the brass is not safe for reloading .. case head expansion is way past my limit and that is in a Wilde chamber .. shot in looser 5.56 chambers the pressure is probably a bit less but the brass takes even more beating and stretch ...

thanks for the wed morning humor.. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.. keep up the fail and lets hope I never have to shoot near you in a competition ... probably not an issue though because I have never seen a SAVAGE on the line..

best of luck

Last edited:
  • Love
@squib-load

You the man. Did you stop to breathe in that furious typing?

This is excellent information and you have valid questions concerns my intended useage and the equipment I want to do it with.

That rifle is a PWS Hobby Lobby rifle so it has the USMC armorer barrel pad you wondered about.

Very rarely do I get to shoot beyond 300 yards and If I do often I will bring 175 FGMM with me to take some of "me" out of the equation.

175 SMKs are desired because the BDC on the turrets is set up for such. I agree I have found 168s to be more accurate over my 300 and in distances, even out to 600, but I want to set my dies up one way and run them. Im not going to be plugging in different seating depths.

I do mess with different powder charges among various rifles in .308.

My rifles are toys. Even at 1000 yards Im shooting at greater than MOA targets - steel torso. So unlike you I have room for error. Still though if I am whacking a plate at 1000 with a torso representative of a skinny, not your typical American, I think that an accomplishment.

I think its been awhile since Ive had the A1 out. Ive had 400 rounds or so of ammo sitting in the can for a few months....If its sunny Sunday Ill take twenty to 100 yards and shoot 4, 5 round groups to see if Im still happy. If its cloudy Ill go to the 300 yard range with 20 rounds and a 6 or 8 inch Shoot-N-C and hope to keep them in the 3 inch ring. My 300 yard range faces west and I can only shoot after 1500 so sun limits being able to see the target boards.

My goal is a "respectable" ammo that doesn't beat the crap out of my gear on its weekend bench shoots.

I am a Fudd that shoots paper to beat my own expectations.

If I can improve I accept all help in doing so.

reasonable goals.. and especially at 1000 with a 308... keep in mind.. unlike the FUDDS on the internet.. 308 at 1000 is HARD ... at 1000 with your 175smk .. every 1MPH of wind you don't account for is 9" off target.. 1/2 MOA ammo at 100 almost never holds that at 1000 due to transonic instability thus just holding MOA or 10" at 1000 with ZERO wind is an accomplishment

the minute someone on the boards brags about ringing 20" or 10" plates at a grand all day long is just immediately disregarded as full of shit and I move on.. I shoot with some VERY accomplished guys here and one that made the national team.. and in the 308 TR class.. these guys are mostly in the 9 ring (20" diameter) with a couple X .. most of the best guys average 190s with 3-5X on a good day.. I have yet to see a 308 shoot 200 in person but its been done at the higher levels.. of course that is with VERY expensive rifles in the 28" and up barrel lengths using Bergers ... nobody at the top shoots 175SMK anymore ... I still use it because its 20 cents cheaper per bullet and shooting 1000s per year.. it adds up

How am I blowing smoke specifically?

If your greatest hits of stupid quotes from this thread alone in post 182 above doesn't spell it out for you... you are too dumb to understand you are too dumb to understand... and are beyond wasting my time to explain details further

If your greatest hits of stupid quotes from this thread alone in post 182 above doesn't spell it out for you... you are too dumb to understand you are too dumb to understand... and are beyond wasting my time to explain details further

Perhaps I am too lazy to try to dissect the drivel you posted in post #182.

You on the other hand made some extremely stupid statements, namely regarding the chrono at 78 feet and your implication that 41.7 grains of 4064 causing catastrophic failure if not worked up carefully. FYI that load is 1gr under max per Sierra’s manual of all things and is mild.

43gr of 4064 is too hot for a FGMM case and you will lose primer pockets quickly. MK316 brass is different. It has a harder case head.

Then there’s your quote of me saying that FGMM does 2700 and 41.7/4064 does 2580 from the same barrel. Are you calling me a liar? Because what I wrote is absolutely true.

Again, we have seen the spec sheet. I haven’t personally chronoed MK316 ammo but others have and their velocity is closer to 2500 than 2700 FPS.

I have better things to do than to argue with assholes this morning. You have wasted my time.

Perhaps I am too lazy to try to dissect the drivel you posted in post #182.

LAZY YES THAT SUMS YOU UP PERFECTLY, AND I AM SURE YOU WILL BE TOO LAZY TO EXPAND THIS AND READ ALL MY REPLIES BUT HERE GOES... LAST TIME

You on the other hand made some extremely stupid statements, namely regarding the chrono at 78 feet and your implication that 41.7 grains of 4064 causing catastrophic failure if not worked up carefully. FYI that load is 1gr under max per Sierra’s manual of all things and is mild.

78ft IS WHERE THE MILITARY SPECS M118 WHICH IS WERE YOU ARE GETTING YOUR 25xxFPS 'SPEC' FROM ... I HAVE ASKED YOU TO SHOW ME A MILSPEC FPS ON MK316 AND YOU CANT I HAVE ALREADY STATED IN A PREVIOUS POST THAT I MISTAKENLY FORGOT TO CHANGE MY BALLISTIC CALC FROM METERS TO FT TO WALK BACK THE MUZZLE VELOCITY - I AM BIG ENOUGH TO ADMIT TO MISTAKES - YOU ARE NOT

43gr of 4064 is too hot for a FGMM case and you will lose primer pockets quickly. MK316 brass is different. It has a harder case head.

AGAIN AN IGNORANT ASSUMPTION BY SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE VARIABLES OF HAND LOADING.. I GET x10 LOADS ON MY FGMM BRASS BEFORE I CHUCK IT.. NEVER HAD A SINGLE CASE FAIL.. NEVER HAD A SINGLE PRIMER FALL OUT OR LOOSE SEAT FROM EXPANSION

Then there’s your quote of me saying that FGMM does 2700 and 41.7/4064 does 2580 from the same barrel. Are you calling me a liar? Because what I wrote is absolutely true.

NO NOT CALLING YOU A LIAR .. JUST STUPID.. THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT FGMM 308 175 IS SLOWER THAT EVERY BOX OF mk3126 or FGMM762 I HAVE EVER SHOT OR CHRONO'd.. SO IF YOU ARE SEEING 2700 from FGMM IN YOU BARREL (as I am) THEN YOUR LOAD OF 41.7 FOR mk316 @ 2580 IS TOO SLOW AND DOESNT MAKE SENSE...

Again, we have seen the spec sheet. I haven’t personally chronoed MK316 ammo but others have and their velocity is closer to 2500 than 2700 FPS.

OH WOW COLOR ME SHOCKED THAT YOU HAVE NEVER SEE, FIRED, CHRONOed or know JACK SHIT ABOUT MK316 .. DON'T WORRY .. IT SHOWS

AGAIN ... I HAVE ALREADY EXPLAINED TO THE DEAF DUMB AND BLIND.. WHAT YOUR ARE REFERENCING IS NOT A SPEC ITS A BUILD SHEET USED TO IDENTIFY THE QUANTITY / TYPE OF MATERIALS USED IN A PARTICULAR LOT OF AMMUNITION. IN THIS CASE ITS THE VERY FIRST LOT OF TEST AMMO BASED ON THE LOT NUMBER FROM THE BUILD SHEET COMPARED TO THE NAVSEA MK316 BRIEFING SLIDES THAT ARE ALSO CIRCULATING THE WEB ... RELOADING IS NOT A COOKBOOK.. YOU DONT BLINDLY FOLLOW SET AMOUNTS ... EVERY LOAD MUST BE DONE FROM SCRATCH WHEN POWEDER LOTS, CASE CAPACITIES, RIFLE CHAMBER/BARREL CHANGE ETC...

I have better things to do than to argue with assholes this morning. You have wasted my time.

GOOD GO AWAY TROLL.. I WAS HERE FOR THE OP, WHICH YOU ARE NOT, JUST AN ARGUMENTATIVE TROLL KEYBOARD COMMANDO

• Haha
reasonable goals.. and especially at 1000 with a 308... keep in mind.. unlike the FUDDS on the internet.. 308 at 1000 is HARD ... at 1000 with your 175smk .. every 1MPH of wind you don't account for is 9" off target.. 1/2 MOA ammo at 100 almost never holds that at 1000 due to transonic instability thus just holding MOA or 10" at 1000 with ZERO wind is an accomplishment

the minute someone on the boards brags about ringing 20" or 10" plates at a grand all day long is just immediately disregarded as full of shit and I move on.. I shoot with some VERY accomplished guys here and one that made the national team.. and in the 308 TR class.. these guys are mostly in the 9 ring (20" diameter) with a couple X .. most of the best guys average 190s with 3-5X on a good day.. I have yet to see a 308 shoot 200 in person but its been done at the higher levels.. of course that is with VERY expensive rifles in the 28" and up barrel lengths using Bergers ... nobody at the top shoots 175SMK anymore ... I still use it because its 20 cents cheaper per bullet and shooting 1000s per year.. it adds up

Ive had pretty good luck at 1000. Not 10 for 10 nor even 9 of 10 but Id say about 55-65% percent at Sig Sauer on steel torso plate...

PB108315.JPG

On the 900 meter range I occasionally shoot its actually easier as the Army silhouettes are huge.....

P3118446.JPG

Nothing is MOA at that distance...and I cheat, generally Im shooting FGMM 175 from the factory and I use Billy Beroo, This is on a 550 yard torso steel....

Last edited:
Ive had pretty good luck at 1000. Not 10 for 10 nor even 9 of 10 but Id say about 55-65% percent at Sig Sauer on steel torso plate...

View attachment 7242454

On the 900 meter range I occasionally shoot its actually easier as the Army silhouettes are huge.....

View attachment 7242455

Nothing is MOA at that distance...and I cheat, generally Im shooting FGMM 175 from the factory and I use Billy Beroo, This is on a 550 yard torso steel....

nice shooting.. I only wish that I had a facility like that around here. My club range only goes to 290, no steel, and I shoot NRA matches at the Hathcock sniper range at Camp Lejuene a couple times a year for my 1000y practice.. again no steel.. all paper..

PRS matches use to be fun but now that has become a money game just like F Class .. use to be fun when you could keep up with the field with a relatively inexpensive rifle .. now you have to have some pretty big bucks to be competitive, same with PRS.. and match fees are all north of $200 it seems these days.. sometimes much more..

but like you I do it for kicks..

It was clouds today with light snow fall so I went 300 yards......

P1019159.JPG

Setup rifle....

P1019163.JPG

Used my suggested scope setting from my last 300 yard range session 3/0 Elevation with 1/2 MOA right windage.

Load.....

P1019165.JPG

Data Book after shooting....

P1019164.JPG

Shots 1-12 I used my initial data and it seemed everything was tracking low right.

For shots 13-20 I dialed 300 yards plus 1/2 MOA elevation and returned windage to 0 (1/2 MOA left).

Note the plot calls are not plot calls. seeing the impact holes with my 20X spotter are tough and the numbers in the circle start to run all over each other so I track my expected shot hole on the call sheets. I suck at calling shots my brain thinks every trigger break is centered.

When I got down range to look at the target I saw that I was not able to pick up the shot holes at the very edge of the target (marked with blue arrows. These will be my 1000 yard misses along with shots 15 and 20.

P1019166.JPG

Everything else is acceptable enough. A better dope adjustment would likely center that right biased group up. Wish I had less verticle, Ill have to magnetospeed this again and see what the numbers look like. Next outing Ill use the 300 yard mark elevation with 1/2 MOA left windage.

After trying several powders hoping to make the 168 eld-m bullets work I'm back to 4064 and 175 SMK or Barnes MatchBurners. My load is 42.1 in a FC or Alpha case and I'm getting 2655FPS 10 shot average.

I'm hoping to stretch it to 300 and see how it groups there soon.

Nice shooting and nice rifle you have there.

Should do better....

This is the target from the M40 at 300 yards having to hold 1.4 mils with my capped turret Leupold repro scope....

PC299068.JPG

More lateral (shooter problem). Most of the shots within 1.5 MOA.

I want to bring this rifle to Sig and shoot their Reach for 1000 class using just holds.

To get beyond 600 or so Ill have to dial my magnification from 9X to approx 4X so as to "double" the reticle. I dont want to change my zero because the shooting beyond 300 is limited and I think Ill be able to make do at 4.5X.

Soldiers in WWII made it work at 2.5X.

PC299066.JPG

I don’t like making blanket statements on loads but I don’t think you will find good accuracy where your at. With the smk that far out, light charge, cold temps your charge density is low and you are getting horizontal stringing.
if you are convinced with chrono data that you are in a plateau I would start walking your seating depth back deeper into the case. And/or increase charge to up load density

i render reading an article some time back where a bench shooter wanted to take all external ballistics out of the equation in a strive to better understand internal ballistics. Google secrets of the Houston warehouse or something to that effect

for me I do the following

run a ladder at 200 with a 60x spotter. Looking for 3 charge weights or more that group AND where the slower bullets hit higher than the faster. That’s called positive corelation where slower bullets are leaving where the muzzle whip is pointing upward.

once I get a node I will tune it with seating depth verify at distance.

once grouping I will chrono for velocity and hopefully verify a good SD.

4064 needs about .1gn per 10deg shift in temp usually to stay in a node especially when you run in the faster more narrow nodes.

43.3 -43.7 at 2.221 BTO with a hornady tool spot 2.82ish coal in FGMM and Llc lr brass shoots pretty good for me in various rifles but evey rig is different.