• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help from the Tikka T3 Varm owners on mounting

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
I just bought a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 and I'm looking to mount the Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP on it. What are some good quality scope rings that would put this scope at the right height with the 50mm objective? Also should I go with the EGW 20 MOA base or the 0? I need a 100 yard zero if that makes a difference.

Re: Help from the Tikka T3 Varm owners on mounting

I've gone with an EGW HD 20MOA on mine and it really is a superb rail for the money. With a 20 rail you should be fine for a 100 yard zero given the PST has 65 MOA adjustment. Get decent quality rings like Badger / Seekins etc and just go by their published scope height charts - low or medium should be fine.

Jagged, did you use the standard screws that came with the HD mount or did you need to request for metric screws? Did you also have to "clean up" the receiver with a tap first?

I've got a egw 20 moa base with the same scope and TPS lows. I would say there is an 1/8" to 1/4" clearance between objective and barrel. Although mine is the regular T3 lite not the varmint. No problems getting a hundred yard zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jagged, did you use the standard screws that came with the HD mount or did you need to request for metric screws? Did you also have to "clean up" the receiver with a tap first? </div></div>
I recently ordered a 20 MOA HD mount for my T3 direct from EGW and it came with both sets of screws, metric and standard. IIRC, George said all T3 mounts come with two sets now.

Why adding a picrail when there already is a far better rail already.
There is à choise of
1. Tikka ringmounts
2. Tikka optilock
3. Warne
4. Apel
5. Spuhr

All those grabs the steelrail directly, and wold be a more rugged solution than picrail.
Håkan

No clean up required on the receiver so it was a case of mounting straight on. I did however need to requested the correct screws which EGW posted out straight away.

I have several sets of Tikka Optilocks which mount straight onto the dovetail - they are an excellent system no denying however two downsides for me, 0 MOA only and not interchangeable with other rifles with pic rails on.

I decided to standardise everything with Pic rails and even converted the Optilocks with the Pic bases (excellent rings in my opinion).

The EGW 20MOA base on top of a T3 is as rugged and solid as any other reciever mounted rail so no issue as far as I'm concerned. Spuhr is correct however that rings mounted directly to the receiver is a slightly more 'rugged' solution. However I can't see anyone having problems either way.