• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help me match my scopes and rifles.

GentleBen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
www.mydyingbreath.com
OK, I am now officially "scoped out" with today's purchase of a new Nightforce NXS 30mm 5.5-22x50mm with an MOAR reticle.

I had some cash from prior gun/scope sales, so to update my glass collection for my four bolt action target/varmint rifles, I went on a spending spree this past week (with the help of this forum) and wound up with:

--the new 30mm Nightforce
-- a new 1-inch Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 Z-Varmint reticle
-- a 30mm Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 MOA/MOA reticle
-- a 30mm Leupold VX-3L 8.25-25x50 with varmint hunter reticle (bought new by me 1 year ago).

Question is, for those who wish to play along, which scopes would you marry to these four bolt-action rifles (all have 20 MOA bases):

--CZ527 in .223 with 24-inch McGowan bull barrel 1:9 twist
--Tikka 3 Varmint in .223 24-inch SS with 1:8 twist
--Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, .308 20-inch, 1:10 twist
--An on going custom .308 build on a Rem 700 SPS action using a 22-inch Rock Creek barrel in 1:10 twist -- work being done by Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles, using a McMillan A5 stock, Jewell trigger, and Badger Thruster brake and Badger bottom metal to suit AICS mags.

I am now retired at 62, am a Marine combat veteran of Vietnam and am loading my own rounds in .223 and .308. I mostly shoot at known-distance ranges and fields down here in Louisiana, but do try to make annual trips to western Texas or Kansas to shoot prairie dogs. I did my run and shoot tactical stuff near Khe Sanh in '69 so I don't want to do that, or even hunt anymore because I don't eat the meat. (Disease-ridden, putrid but cute prairie dogs and nutria excepted.)

I realize my rifles are not designed for ultra long range, but these aging eyes need the magnification and clarity, and I abhor thick reticles.

Instead of spending my nearly $5K on two scopes and moving them around, I want to try to dedicate these scopes to the guns. (I'm pretty sure most will put the Nightforce on the new custom .308 build.)

Opinions please.

Re: Help me match my scopes and rifles.

Zeiss on the Tikka
Vortex on the Rem700 sps
Leupy on the CZ and NF on the custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zeiss on the Tikka
Vortex on the Rem700 sps
Leupy on the CZ and NF on the custom. </div></div>
Sounds about right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zeiss on the Tikka
Vortex on the Rem700 sps
Leupy on the CZ and NF on the custom. </div></div>

Amen to that.

Damn, that's just how I had them planned out. Glad to see I am doing something right with my optics. Thanks all.

I am also going to pick-up either a single power Weaver T-36 or Sightron SII in 36x to swap around on the rifle for really long shots. Any likes between T-36 and SII -- prices pretty close. Or another scope in 36x range?