• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Help Me Understand MOA-Base Change

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
Deer Park, Texas
Simple to some but help me with something I have never done before. I have changed picatinny rail mounts on my 300 Winchester. I went for a zero base to a 20 MOA base. I just moved my scope from one base to another. Should my point of impact now be high or low?

Re: Help Me Understand MOA-Base Change

Higher.

Think of it like this....
20 MOA rail is high in the back and low in the front, which means scope is now pointing down, so you must raise the muzzle up more now when aiming, making your point of impact now higher.

Now when you rezero your rifle on the new 20 MOA base you'll dial down (raising your reticle) to your new zero and all that elevation you took out will now be available to use when you need to dial more elevation when shooting at distance, etc.

Thanks so much for your response. Makes all the sense in the wold. I'll know what to expect tomorrow.

Is there a need when using ballistic calculators to input the MOA on the base ?

Not any of the ones I've used....