• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Help needed - R700 installing new timney trigger and boyds stock

gannon145

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2012
FL
Hello all,

I'm in need of some experienced help. I have a r700 ADL varmint that I want to put in a boyds stock with a timney 517 trigger. The trigger is a straight trigger with safety.

Trigger - Remington Straight Replacement Trigger

Stock - Boyds: PRO VARMINT REMINGTON 700 BOLT ACTION - BLIND MAGAZINE SHORT ACTION BULL BARREL CHANNEL LAMINATE STOCK W/BLACK TEXTURED FINISH Pro Varmint

I'll get some pics up tonight to supplement my explanation here.

So there are 2 problems I've encountered while installing the stock and trigger. The first is that the trigger contacts the trigger guard at the bottom of the flat trigger. It seems like it is too long. I don't know what to do about this. I can't find any ADL oversize trigger guards. I'm assuming the problem is that the action sits too low in the stock. What do I do?

The second problem is that is looks like the action doesn't line up with the trigger guard so the bolt release contacts the guard. I researched the issue a couple of weeks ago and saw a Youtbue video about how to file a part of the release bar to alleviate the issue. Is this a good way to alleviate this issue or should I see about a replacement stock? I know that boyds stocks are not precise and I wish I had the money to upgrade to something better but I can't at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

I have that exact stock on my SPS Varmint and the curved version of the Timney trigger. Other than having to file the stock slightly around the trigger hole, everything dropped into place beautifully. I'm surprised you're having so many issues.

I would call Timney about the trigger fit. I have never heard of any issues of the trigger being too long and not fitting. Timney is selling scores of this trigger due to the recall, if there was an issue they'd know about it.

I assume your issue with the bolt release is related, are you sure you installed the new trigger correctly? I did have to use some needle nose pliers to get the bolt release working perfect but I didn't need to use a file.

Just a note, I was having light primer strikes with my Timney, it turns out there's a known issue with the trigger used in SPS rifles, they just made a running production change to a longer sear on all 700 triggers. I was having the issue with my SPS, I sent my trigger back and they upgraded it to the new, longer sear.