• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Help with a 12 ga auto

Shotgun barrel ports are a scam

It's absolutely not the same or even close to a rifle brake and shotguns run on barely 10 ksi of chamber pressure compared to the 55 ksi or more of rifles.
I can't speak to shotgun barrel porting in general, but I can speak to the Vang Comp system. I have shot several of their modified tactical shotguns at Gunsite demos and had my own 590 done. Their system absolutely works and reduces felt recoil significantly, as well as reducing muzzle rise. I think they only do these for 870 and 590s though, and install the system for several LEAs nationwide. I suspect you are right about generic porting. I am not affiliated in any way with Vang Comp--just a customer.

Reactions: quietmike
1301 is good call, fair priced and great shotgun. I’d not have suggested an M2 not a fan, love the M1, especially older HK marked models own one and I’d never sell.

I shot a Browning Citori over/under for several years, then switched to a semi-auto because of some shoulder problems. I chose the Beretta A300 Outlander and it's not too heavy and very reliable. It can cycle 1 ounce 1225 fps loads, so it can be a very soft shooter. It was also inexpensive at under $700. Tip: have your wife shoulder the gun for fit as that will be a major factor in her ability to shoot well.

How about old school?

Find a US Arsenal marked Remington Model 11 and extend the mag tube.

or get a Browning Auto5 that the Rem is a copy of and tacticalize it.

Its a mass of steel and the recoil system creates a soft recoiling twelve.

1593780968601.png

1593780992846.png

This would be an intimidating hall sweeper....

1593781050278.png

I love my 1301T.

One mod I plan to do on mine is the magpul stock-it can be adjusted for shorter LOP and a higher cheek weld, but the buttpad can also be replaced with a remington 870 recoil pad.

That said recoil is already mild, reduced recoil buck is not unpleasant to shoot.

1301-ltt-tactical__15668__65187.1590620627.jpg

Got a 1301t gen 2 ordered for under $800. Only problem is it might be three months until it's back in stock.
At that price it's worth the wait.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Davo308
I think the mildest recoiling auto loader is reputed to be the Remington Versa-Max. I remember reading about it I think in my Ducks Unlimited magazine.

I have a Browning Silver Auto loader and I don't think it kicks all that bad even with 3" goose loads.

Got a 1301t gen 2 ordered for under $800. Only problem is it might be three months until it's back in stock.
At that price it's worth the wait.

Thanks for the help.
I am late to the party. But will give my 2 cents. I have a couple gas operated 12ga and a couple inertia driven. The gas guns are much much softer shooting than the inertia guns. In fact I can't tell much if any difference between inertia gun and a pump gun.
Looking at the 1301t you made a good choice.