• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Help with Thermal choice

jakeb30

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2018
Hello, Ive been reading on thermals on this site but have some questions. I am looking to build a hog rig. I will use a semiauto 6.5CM gun with suppressor. I just need help with thermal. Budget is 6k or less. Is there a good place to pick up used thermals? Most shots will be from under 200 yards if I had to guess. mostly open country so I will be able to see them coming from a way off.

I guess I need help with clip on or dedicated, and what options in my budget. If I go with dedicated you can quick detach mount them right? and change out with a regular scope?

I like the idea of a clip on, but would like info from those who have actually used them to see what you think. Because I could definitely use this gun in the daytime on hogs/coyotes.

For $6k, you can probably squeeze in to the Trijicon space ... the msrp of the mk2 35mm is $7k ... but street prices are a good bit less ... and used or demo units even less. Pick three dealers, call them all on the phone and talk and listen ... and after you've talked to all three go back and make an offer to the one you think you can get the best deal from.

Thermal clipons are more expensive and unless you get a good one, you will have a much more compromised image and less effective magnification than with a dedicated scope. If you want a detailed description of thermal clipon pros and cons I can write it up for you, just ask. :)

==

I was going to suggest exactly what wigwamitus just suggested.

I have an Six8 with a MKII 35mm and it is just about perfect for the type of shooting your wanting to do. I've see them sell from individuals for under $6k somewhat often.

Watch the optics for sale forum here and the NV for sale forum on ARFCom. And checking with dealers for demo units is a good suggestion. Also, the holiday sales season is just around the corner and you might get lucky on a good thermal sale. I picked up a used FLIR unit for $1k off several years ago that way.

200 yards? I would use a 308 and if you are looking for a used clip on thermal, get a T50 for $3000 or a LWTS for 6500