• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Highway exit renumbering......

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Feds are requiring all states to renumber Interstates so that exit number = Mile marker.

I happen to live in a state that is now changing over from chronological numbering - south (low) to north (high) and west (low) to east (high).

I really dont care either way but Im betting 3/4 of the population will lose their shit with this change.

What conspiracy theories go with it?

Secret UN maps require it? Thats how China does it?

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    I have been to the south and their numbering system is weird to me.
    Out west we do it by mile marker and it makes a shit ton more sense to me.
    You need exit 12 and just passed mile marker 300 you have 288 miles to go. It helps to know distance to destination.
    If you see exit 28 and you need exit 12 you know you have 16 miles.
    Down south if you see exit 28 and you need 12 it is an arbitrary distance. At speed, time equals distance, exits by mile marker let you manage time.

PS, you like to know distance to target correct? Well that is what exit by mile marker gives you.

If you ask everyone you know what exit should you take to get to their home, if lucky, 10% might know. Ask yourself what interstate exit you use to get to your home....most wont know. I asked my wife, she has no clue. I asked her to guess close. She missed by 30 miles.

What? Don't need no stinkin' signs. Jus' drive until you pass that big ole tree next to Bob's house, be back aways in the woods, da one wit that '39 or sometin' on blocks he be restorin'; then turn left at Red's Store but he ain't open, been feeling poorly, his wife be my second-cousin's sister-in-law; take a right just pass his mailbox on the left; then keep going a little furtha after the second or third curve, don't take the da first or da next road but take the one afta' that pasture with Guernseys or sometin'. Der should be a sign for Edith's, take dat.
    It ain't much further, it be der, the entrance to da interstate, wear ya missed ya turn. Pretty sure it be there, ya have enough gas, do ya? Fred's Emporium, he don't stay open much afta dark shud ya be needin' some. Yall come back soon, hear. 🙋‍♂️

Feds are requiring all states to renumber Interstates so that exit number = Mile marker.

I happen to live in a state that is now changing over from chronological numbering - south (low) to north (high) and west (low) to east (high).

I really dont care either way but Im betting 3/4 of the population will lose their shit with this change.

Every state I've driven through has been by mile marker.

You live in a weird place.

If you ask everyone you know what exit should you take to get to their home, if lucky, 10% might know. Ask yourself what interstate exit you use to get to your home....most wont know. I asked my wife, she has no clue. I asked her to guess close. She missed by 30 miles.
    University Ave exit...

It’s so that the pilot of the North Korean cruise missile knows which exit to take to your house.

• Love
    Reactions: Maggot
    give it time dill the dims change that too . soon enough it will be Chinese names . and towns and cities will be renamed after our new overloads

Might make sense out west /less populated but in the north east where the national and state roads are the same at times and exits are closer than or at 1 mile at a lot of places.
    Might get sketchy

Are they putting the "OLD EXIT WAS..." signs like we are in RI

You have to have limited intelligence if changing the exit number taxes your brain in any way shape or form.

What I really want to see is an overnight change to metric. Strip every fucking mileage and speed limit sign and replace them with same in metric. For speed limits, round up to the nearest 5 (so 70 mph = 115 kph)

Then enjoy watching the shitshow

Everywhere in south that I travel is by milepost. Seems like I remember seeing sequential somewhere in the past but not sure where. I see MP - A, B, C, etc in a lot of states where there are multiple exits in same MP so not sure I'd call that a southern thing.

Reactions: johnnycat
    I have been to the south and their numbering system is weird to me.
    Out west we do it by mile marker and it makes a shit ton more sense to me.
    You need exit 12 and just passed mile marker 300 you have 288 miles to go. It helps to know distance to destination.
    If you see exit 28 and you need exit 12 you know you have 16 miles.
    Down south if you see exit 28 and you need 12 it is an arbitrary distance. At speed, time equals distance, exits by mile marker let you manage time.

PS, you like to know distance to target correct? Well that is what exit by mile marker gives you.

Makes good sense.

I did laugh when they put mile markers on US2 through Michigan's U.P. and started at the wrong end. they went up in number as you traveled west, the opposite of the standard. I wondered if the same guys had to take them down and redo it from the other direction and how long it took them.

It’s been that way around here for a while. It allows the addition of an exit at a later date with less hassle.

It’s been that way around here for a while. It allows the addition of an exit at a later date with less hassle.

Another good point.

Sign Painters union is gonna be pissed......dont kill the job.

Every state I've driven through has been by mile marker.

You live in a weird place.
    I remember when North Dakota switched to Mile Marker based exit numbers in the early '90s. They were the last ones I knew of that used the " one, two, three" method. Thank God. Where is this place that still exists?
    On edit: Ok, Mass..... that explains it.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate

It’s been that way in my state for along time. Feds might have tied a state‘s FHWA funding to it?

Yes, Mass is going through it right now. I could care less as i never look at the exit number anyways, but always the road or rt im getting on.

Make a trip, a long trip, plan it out with Google :),
    They tell you where the gas stops are.
    Guess where Exit 40 on I-10 in Florida is?
    My gas stop from Louisiana :)

Go round in circles in little N.E. states I guess you don't care/
    "Secret UN maps require it? Thats how China does it?"

I used to drive long haul OTR. Most states have done the Mile Marker = exit thing for a long time.

Though I wish they would standardize on whether that is east to west & north to south...or the other way around. Some places you go out of one state at MM#1 and enter the new state at MM#1.

I used to drive long haul OTR. Most states have done the Mile Marker = exit thing for a long time.

Though I wish they would standardize on whether that is east to west & north to south...or the other way around. Some places you go out of one state at MM#1 and enter the new state at MM#1.
    Got an INTERSTATE, Federal funded highway example that does that (except in the Blue N.E. states)?
    I've been cross country on I-10, I-20 and I-30, I-40, I-59, I-75, others.

We don't use numbers here we go off names shrug
    They have both here. There will be a number always, and a name of either the town or street second. A,B,C for multiple exits in a mile. Montana I've never seen past C, but I don't think you could run out of alphabet before you ran out of space for on and off ramps.

Coming from a trucker, most states are set up on the Mile Marker system. It is so simple, and works so good. Should be mandatory nation wide.
    Thats what the post is about, LOL

I grew up in AL, always associated Exits with mile post numbers here. @MtnCreek I got lost as hell one time trying to find a place in Macon, GA using a two year old Atlas numbered sequentially when they had switched over the exit numbers the year before to mile posts.

Last edited:
    Got an INTERSTATE, Federal funded highway example that does that (except in the Blue N.E. states)?
    I've been cross country on I-10, I-20 and I-30, I-40, I-59, I-75, others.
    It has been 20 years, I don't remember which ones.

Some brain surgeon in our state decided street signs in all CAPITALS were hard to read so they retrofitted to upper and lower case. Now they are definitely harder to read. Im sure that cost a fortune. Fucking morons.

Reactions: Foul Mike
    The chronological system is like driving on the left.

"What exit number is our exit?". "What mile marker did we just pass?".

Driving in Florida where Exit 7 is 72 miles from exit 6. With no way to know.

I grew up in AL, always associated Exits with mile post numbers here. @MtnCreek Got lost as hell one time trying to find a place in Macon, GA using a two year old Atlas numbered sequentially when they had switched over the exit numbers the year before to mile posts.
    Rand McNally road maps are expensive. Can't be replacing them every time the State decides to change the exit numbers.

Exits by the mile and mile markers? That must be a real bitch for you folks that are always talking, "It's 2 hours from here to the range." or "It's 30 minutes from Snotrag City."

Growing up in Colorado, we had mile markers as far back as I can remember, just a number, and everyone knew it represented a mile.

In the County I live in now, they replaced all the mile marker signs with a sign that now says "MILE XX". What a waste of money and resources.

Next thing they will do is add the Spanish word for Mile for those that can't read English.

Reactions: Foul Mike