• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns HK p-30 for wife?

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    I had my wife hold and operate 20+ handguns from $300 used Glocks to nib USP's. She keeps coming back to the P-30. I have the opportunity to purchase at below cost from a private collection. (no, don't ask). So I am thinking it is hard to have her choose something else just because of price or trigger. I understand the trigger is not the bestest. The model she looking at is the DA/SA Decock. She likes the huge slide levers and she can drop the slide and mag without adjusting her grip. But if it is the one that she likes should I remove myself 100% from the picture? And just get it for her? She is not ever going to compete or do three gun or anything. We do have a lifetime membership to a training facility and will do a 4 day class with it. Then after it will get shot at the range and sit loaded at home. I guess buy once and cry once.

Nothing wrong with that gun and she has expressed her preference. ;)

Just curious--did she try a revolver during your test period? I got my mom a S & W, 7 shot, .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel and bobbed the hammer so she can only shoot it DA.

Revolvers are great choices for folks who are not "gun people." The manual of arms is "pull the trigger." No magazine to accidentally drop, no manual of arms to learn. No light trigger to accidentally shoot someone either. Gun doesn't fire? Pull the trigger again.

Just a thought.

She had a .38 snuby. This would be her next. Would be easier for a four day course with an auto. She did not know how to run an auto properly and now wants to step up.

I am curious--your post makes it seem like you don't like/have reservations about the HK. Any reason for that?

Not a loaded question. I don't like HKs myself.

I am curious--your post makes it seem like you don't like/have reservations about the HK. Any reason for that?

Not a loaded question. I don't like HKs myself.

My reservation is the price! Well a trade really. I am trading a hardly used, 99% Colt MK IV .380 for it. I have a hard time trading a gun that won't depreciate for one that will. Lol. But if it is one she likes then oh well. If mama ain't happy......at least she expresses interest.

I own a HK P30 .40 LEM V1, and my girl friend loves to shoot it. One of the great selling points about this pistol is the completely interchangeable side and back straps. I personally use a small left, medium back, and large right.
    This is my carry pistol, well at least one of them, but definitely my most carried firearm.
    Back to your situation, if you are getting her a gun that she will carry for self defense, this is a great pistol due to the comfort factor. If she likes the way it feels and functions then she will be more comfortable using it and that is huge when it comes to self defense.
    However,
    If you are getting her the pistol for range time and shooting cans, I would recommend something else for two reasons.
    1. Very pricy for a can gun
    2. The front post on the pistol is huge with a giant glow in the dark circle. This is done for fast acquisition and it works wonderfully. But, when the front post is lined up correctly with the rear site you are shooting dead center of the glow in the dark circle. This is great for 10 yards and closer but farther out than that your front post is covering most of the target and striving for pin point accuracy becomes futile.

Conclusion:
    Great carry pistol, but expensive and not a target gun.
    As far as the trigger, I don't own the DA/SA so I wont speak to it, but the LEM has almost zero creep. But, it has a huge reset which can be annoying.

Hope this helps

The only concern that comes to mind is the DA/SA trigger. It takes a lot of training to become proficient with this system, way more than if each trigger pull is the same. When shooting under time constraints or under pressure, it's real easy to drop the first shot (DA) low.

Ya, that is my concern too. He has 3 othe P30's so I will see if one has the other trigger. She loves LOVES the grips... I do too, but I already have my full size 9mm and 8 mags. No need to change what is already working. I think she could learn it.

The great thing about the P30 is the fact you can send it to the USA HK shop and they will swap out the trigger package for whatever you want.

Heckler & Koch P30 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So regardless if you buy the DA/SA or the LEM you can send it to HK and they will swap out what you got for what you want. I chose the LEM V1 because it has a constant 4.5 lbs. trigger pull every time i squeeze.

There is the P30 long slide which adds 3/4 of an inch and does help with accuracy.
    Funny thing is my girl friend is want to get her conceal carry license and has been hinting at using my P30. Which I'm not opposed to because I will just get the P30 long slide for myself which will work in my carry holster.

I know a gal that loves her p30, good luck with yours.

If she really likes the HK, then it stands to reason she will enjoy practicing with it more than a gun she doesn't like and will be more excited about the purchase. And HK definitely makes a quality product.

I carried a Glock 23 for a very long time and recently switched to a Glock 19 as my EDC. About two years ago I had the world's biggest boner for the P-30. A buddy had picked up an HK45 and I fell in love with the grip on that gun. The .45 is just too big for me to carry, and I prefer 9mm over .45, so the HK45 was out for me. Fast forward to the P-30. I was on the verge of making the leap when I was at an indoor range and noticed they had a P-30 for rent. I took it out onto the range, put about 100 rounds through it, and hated every second of it. Glocks don't have the best trigger in the world, but they are very consistent in the feel. The best word I can think of to describe the P-30 trigger is "spongy." I will give the caveat that I didn't shoot a lot of pistol at the time (I shoot much more now) so shooter error was likely a significant issue.

This summer I spent some time shooting dad's P-30 in .40 S&W - same results as before. And this time I was a lot more practiced. As much as I wanted to love the P-30, it just wasn't the right gun for me.

I know this probably isn't in the cards for you as you have a good deal going on the P-30, but the VP9 is stacking up to be one hell of a pistol. HK made some real improvements with this gun compared to the P30. Lower bore axis, longer sight radius, and a far superior trigger. All at a price about $100 more than a Gen 4 Glock. I bought one two weeks ago to see if it was going to live up to the hype and figured I could resell it for nearly as much as I paid for it if I didn't like it (gotta love those two magic letters - HK!). I can't tell you that the VP9 is the greatest pistol ever made because quite frankly I haven't had enough time with it to really find the flaws and I'm not an HK fanboy. After some trigger time with the VP9 I will say that unless I find a reason to dislike this gun it will be replacing the G19 as my carry gun. After nearly a decade with a compact Glock on my hip that is pretty significant for me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to detract from your (really, your wife's) decision to get a P-30, I'm just relating my experiences the gun and giving my perspective on a similar option. There are a lot of people out there with a lot more skill than me who shoot the P-30 very well and I will readily admit that with the right amount of training I could become proficient with it too. I hope she enjoys shooting whatever gun she ends up with.

I had my wife hold and operate 20+ handguns from $300 used Glocks to nib USP's. She keeps coming back to the P-30. I have the opportunity to purchase at below cost from a private collection. (no, don't ask). So I am thinking it is hard to have her choose something else just because of price or trigger. I understand the trigger is not the bestest. The model she looking at is the DA/SA Decock. She likes the huge slide levers and she can drop the slide and mag without adjusting her grip. But if it is the one that she likes should I remove myself 100% from the picture? And just get it for her? She is not ever going to compete or do three gun or anything. We do have a lifetime membership to a training facility and will do a 4 day class with it. Then after it will get shot at the range and sit loaded at home. I guess buy once and cry once.

Brent,

I have a very important saying: Happy wife equals a Happy Life.

My wife also loved the HK P30. It fit her hands perfectly and it was one of the only pistols she could cycle the action properly. She liked the trigger and it just felt good in her hands. Sold.

Now she is involved in Action Pistol competitions. If your wife is comfortable with the firearm, the money you spend will increase three fold since she will be more involved in shooting. You get to go to more matches, get to hang out with your buddies more, etc. That is WELL worth the additional cost.

Get the HK, if you have not already. You will not regret it. I have not.. and neither has the wife.

I carried a Glock 23 for a very long time and recently switched to a Glock 19 as my EDC. About two years ago I had the world's biggest boner for the P-30. A buddy had picked up an HK45 and I fell in love with the grip on that gun. The .45 is just too big for me to carry, and I prefer 9mm over .45, so the HK45 was out for me. Fast forward to the P-30. I was on the verge of making the leap when I was at an indoor range and noticed they had a P-30 for rent. I took it out onto the range, put about 100 rounds through it, and hated every second of it. Glocks don't have the best trigger in the world, but they are very consistent in the feel. The best word I can think of to describe the P-30 trigger is "spongy." I will give the caveat that I didn't shoot a lot of pistol at the time (I shoot much more now) so shooter error was likely a significant issue.

This summer I spent some time shooting dad's P-30 in .40 S&W - same results as before. And this time I was a lot more practiced. As much as I wanted to love the P-30, it just wasn't the right gun for me.

I know this probably isn't in the cards for you as you have a good deal going on the P-30, but the VP9 is stacking up to be one hell of a pistol. HK made some real improvements with this gun compared to the P30. Lower bore axis, longer sight radius, and a far superior trigger. All at a price about $100 more than a Gen 4 Glock. I bought one two weeks ago to see if it was going to live up to the hype and figured I could resell it for nearly as much as I paid for it if I didn't like it (gotta love those two magic letters - HK!). I can't tell you that the VP9 is the greatest pistol ever made because quite frankly I haven't had enough time with it to really find the flaws and I'm not an HK fanboy. After some trigger time with the VP9 I will say that unless I find a reason to dislike this gun it will be replacing the G19 as my carry gun. After nearly a decade with a compact Glock on my hip that is pretty significant for me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to detract from your (really, your wife's) decision to get a P-30, I'm just relating my experiences the gun and giving my perspective on a similar option. There are a lot of people out there with a lot more skill than me who shoot the P-30 very well and I will readily admit that with the right amount of training I could become proficient with it too. I hope she enjoys shooting whatever gun she ends up with.

I'm a 19/23 fanboy. The VP9 looks far larger than the glock in pictures, but I haven't handled one yet. How do they compare as far as size goes?

I'm a 19/23 fanboy. The VP9 looks far larger than the glock in pictures, but I haven't handled one yet. How do they compare as far as size goes?

I think a lot of questions and concerns can be address by Mr. Vickers himself: H&K VP9 Review - YouTube

He seems to compare the VP9 to Glock and the HK P30. Hope this video is helpful.

The P30 is an excellent pistol. I have two, one setup for the V2 standard LEM, and the other is a V1 Light LEM. The V2 is what I shoot and carry, V1 is a backup that my son shoots when we go to the range. The LEM should be shot like a revolver.

I've never had an opportunity to shoot the V3, DA/SA, with live ammo but dry fire I did not care for it because I like the same trigger feel with every pull.

If she ends up having difficulty with the V3 system, you can convert it to a LEM.

Get the wife what she wants, at least then with that "ownership" of the weapon she'll be more into shooting it.

I went through the same thing with mine and she settled on the Glock 19 over a stack of 9mm's. I ended up picking up 2 19's so we could have similar handguns that share mags. Honestly though for me I could careless what a handgun feels like as long as I shoot it well and it works. Finding something that fit the wife's small hands and long fingers was more important.

Handgun feel is a joke. You can train to shoot almost every gun well. Unless its way too small or way to big, most guns are made so 3 stnd deviations (97%) of the market can use them.

Anyone looking to buy a new handgun needs to look at the VP9. HK quality, P30 ergos, great trigger at glock prices.

Handgun feel is a joke. You can train to shoot almost every gun well. Unless its way too small or way to big, most guns are made so 3 stnd deviations (97%) of the market can use them.

Anyone looking to buy a new handgun needs to look at the VP9. HK quality, P30 ergos, great trigger at glock prices.
    I wouldn't call handgun feel a joke. While I agree that a poor fitting handgun can still be used effectively, people are more likely to train and shoot with a gun that fits them well.

If all guns felt and shot like a Glock 22 or a S&W 29, my wife would probably never shoot a gun. She carries a CCO 1911 in 9mm and it is a little sweetheart to shoot.

HK-P30 for your wife? It might be a good trade, but I would want to know more about her first. (sorry, I couldn't resist that one.)

I actually agree with cobracutter about the "feel". I loved the way the p30 felt. I came so close to buying one so many times but finally got to shoot one. I hated it. This is not to say that the p30 is not the perfect pistol for your wife, my point is that even though it may feel great, she needs to shoot the gun before she really makes up her mind. I love my hk45 compact and would have sworn that the p30 would have been a great shooter for me but it wasn't. I will personally never by a new hand gun without shooting it first. Have her try a cz75 compact in 9mm. It's a heavy little gun and mitigates recoil very nicely. Regardless, the hk is a quality weapon.

I actually agree with cobracutter about the "feel". I loved the way the p30 felt. I came so close to buying one so many times but finally got to shoot one. I hated it. This is not to say that the p30 is not the perfect pistol for your wife, my point is that even though it may feel great, she needs to shoot the gun before she really makes up her mind. I love my hk45 compact and would have sworn that the p30 would have been a great shooter for me but it wasn't. I will personally never by a new hand gun without shooting it first. Have her try a cz75 compact in 9mm. It's a heavy little gun and mitigates recoil very nicely. Regardless, the hk is a quality weapon.

That story sounds familiar...

I will add not to judge the VP9 by the P-30. They are ergonomically similar, but they don't shoot anywhere near the same.

I was able to put about 100rds through my VP9 since I got it almost a month ago. The ergos and trigger are amazing. The grip is like a vagina: looks funny, feels awesome. I love this pistol and I'm about to drop some 10-8 sights on it and start shooting production class in USPSA with it. I hate to say it, but the gun's about as shootable as a 1911, IN FACTORY TRIM ! HK did an outstanding job with this pistol. Bout time they came back around to the striker fired game. I'm sure glad they share mags with the P30 and sights with the HK45/P30 line too.

That story sounds familiar...

I will add not to judge the VP9 by the P-30. They are ergonomically similar, but they don't shoot anywhere near the same.

Yea. I own a coupe HK's in .45 flavor an have owned a bunch more. Da/Sa, Da/Sa Match and the Light LEM. While the light LEM is better, it still sucks compared to a glock trigger or other striker fired guns.

The VP9 is seriosuly, the best of all worlds. HK quality, PPQ trigger and Glock Prices. If the trigger is as good as people claim it is, they hit a grand slam with this. While its an ulgy fucking gun, HK's plain work.

Looking forward to the VP45. A USP/HK45 in .45, is the most reliable pistol made.