• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hog Tooth?

eevilweevil

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Ozark, MO
About 15 years ago, I went to a garage sale up the road from my house, and the guy there had a box of misc. military patches, ribbons, etc. In the bottom of the box, was a bullet on some old paracord. I ended up buying it for something like $2.00. I never really new what it was, and wore it for quite a few years, until the cord finally gave out. It got put in a box and forgot. About a week ago I was going through my old stuff, and found it. I took it up to my local Army Surplus to get more cord to fix it, and the guy cutting the cord asked how I got it. I told him a garage sale and he looked at me like I just shit in his breakfast. He said he couldn't believe some one would get rid of it, and that I would wear it without earning it. Now, did I commit some kind of sin before God and Country by wearing this? Now that it's fixed, should I just put it up, or can I wear it out of respect?

Thank you for your answers,
eevilweevil

ps...I don't even know if it's even real, or if someone was just really bored one night.

Re: Hog Tooth?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it. Are you saying the bullet was pulled out of someone? Hence you didn't "earn" it? </div></div>He didn't graduate sniper school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zeroed1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BRB... grabbing popcorn... </div></div>

Make some extra, this one could get interesting...

As long as you don't represent yourself as a graduate of Marine Corps Sniper School, whose graduates are awarded a bullet on a string, you're welcome to wear what you wish.

I wear a crucifix around my neck, but I don't represent myself as Jesus Christ, and I suspect no one is likely to confuse me with him...
laugh.gif

Yaa, I can see someone getting banned after this gets over, I'll have some popcorn as I start digging a foxhole, anyone else want one?

As too the tooth, ITs kinda like a person wearing a Ranger t-shirt or a person who has an Eagle Globe and Anchor pin on their coat and they did not graduate from Ranger School or earn the title of a Marine. It's something thats earned and should not be put on unless its earned. Just my two pennies.

I want to know why someone would sell it in a junk sail?

Show respect, wear it with respect and never lie about it. I wear bdu's (great for shooting, hunting, and getting dirty) , but never lie when somebody asks if i served. (no i have not)

If i had a brother or friend that sent me a t-shirt that read RANGER, USMC or other , i would wear it proudly to support the memory.

? maybe the tooth can go to someone or somewhere to be on display with information on what it represents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yaa, I can see someone getting banned after this gets over, I'll have some popcorn as I start digging a foxhole, anyone else want one?

As too the tooth, ITs kinda like a person wearing a Ranger t-shirt or a person who has an Eagle Globe and Anchor pin on their coat and they did not graduate from Ranger School or earn the title of a Marine. It's something thats earned and should not be put on unless its earned. Just my two pennies.

I want to know why someone would sell it in a junk sail?</div></div>

It's funny you say that, just the other day I went into a local shop to get a new bulb for my surefire that is attached to my sbr. This guy walks up(employee) and said "you know it's real easy to make that a full auto". So I ignored him and continued looking for what I needed, then he says he was a "Ranger" and been shot in the head, blown up and physically I did not see one scar or nothing obvious on him. So this guy just keeps up with all this b.s. and has a little crowd of people listening, and I get tired of all his b.s. and I tell him that it must be lot's of fun playing airsoft and playing his playstaion all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 15 years ago, I went to a garage sale up the road from my house, and the guy there had a box of misc. military patches, ribbons, etc. In the bottom of the box, was a bullet on some old paracord. I ended up buying it for something like $2.00. I never really new what it was, and wore it for quite a few years, until the cord finally gave out. It got put in a box and forgot. About a week ago I was going through my old stuff, and found it. I took it up to my local Army Surplus to get more cord to fix it, and the guy cutting the cord asked how I got it. I told him a garage sale and he looked at me like I just shit in his breakfast. He said he couldn't believe some one would get rid of it, and that I would wear it without earning it. Now, did I commit some kind of sin before God and Country by wearing this? Now that it's fixed, should I just put it up, or can I wear it out of respect?

eevilweevil

ps...I don't even know if it's even real, or if someone was just really bored one night. </div></div>

The Crips do the same shit to me when I wear blue shoes. What gives?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 15 years ago, I went to a garage sale up the road from my house, and the guy there had a box of misc. military patches, ribbons, etc. In the bottom of the box, was a bullet on some old paracord. I ended up buying it for something like $2.00. I never really new what it was, and wore it for quite a few years, until the cord finally gave out. It got put in a box and forgot. About a week ago I was going through my old stuff, and found it. I took it up to my local Army Surplus to get more cord to fix it, and the guy cutting the cord asked how I got it. I told him a garage sale and he looked at me like I just shit in his breakfast. He said he couldn't believe some one would get rid of it, and that I would wear it without earning it. Now, did I commit some kind of sin before God and Country by wearing this? Now that it's fixed, should I just put it up, or can I wear it out of respect?

eevilweevil

ps...I don't even know if it's even real, or if someone was just really bored one night. </div></div>

The Crips do the same shit to me when I wear blue shoes. What gives?</div></div>

HI CKA! wouldn't it be the bloods
confused.gif
just saying
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are only $10.95 with free shipping on Ebay.
</div></div>

Exactly. So long as you don't imply you are something you aren't, I see no reason not to wear it*. That said, I wouldn't were it openly to the range if I had my rifle with me; both because it implies something by association, and because you may well risk your safety on the walk back to the car
whistle.gif

*I am not a sniper and I don't play one on TV. I may well feel differently if I were; but I don't get pissed when someone implies they are an architect, and I worked my ass off for that title. ymmv

Wear the damn thing,if you was to ask 500 people maybe one would no,I don't no any HOG that would give it up....

Do you no what a drag bone is???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jr81452</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are only $10.95 with free shipping on Ebay.
</div></div>

Exactly. So long as you don't imply you are something you aren't, I see no reason not to wear it*. That said, I wouldn't were it openly to the range if I had my rifle with me; both because it implies something by association, and because you may well risk your safety on the walk back to the car
whistle.gif

*I am not a sniper and I don't play one on TV. I may well feel differently if I were; but I don't get pissed when someone implies they are an architect, and I worked my ass off for that title. ymmv </div></div>

Who besides George Costanza would pretend to be an architect?
laugh.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. As for why it was in the sale, I have no idea, it was a younger guy and he had a box of military stuff, so maybe he just didn't care or didn't know. I didn't know what it was when I bought it, I was 12 and thought it was cool. Believe me, no one would mistake me for an ex-military anything!
grin.gif
When I bought it, I showed it to my friends, but other than that it was always under my shirt. Sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect by it. I guess I will just put it in the safe and just keep it as a memento.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 15 years ago, I went to a garage sale up the road from my house, and the guy there had a box of misc. military patches, ribbons, etc. In the bottom of the box, was a bullet on some old paracord. I ended up buying it for something like $2.00. I never really new what it was, and wore it for quite a few years, until the cord finally gave out. It got put in a box and forgot. About a week ago I was going through my old stuff, and found it. I took it up to my local Army Surplus to get more cord to fix it, and the guy cutting the cord asked how I got it. I told him a garage sale and he looked at me like I just shit in his breakfast. He said he couldn't believe some one would get rid of it, and that I would wear it without earning it. Now, did I commit some kind of sin before God and Country by wearing this? Now that it's fixed, should I just put it up, or can I wear it out of respect?

eevilweevil

Based upon your post... don't wear it. You may give people the wrong impression about you.

Replace it with this:

TW-11.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I guess I will just put it in the safe and just keep it as a memento.
Thanks </div></div>

or take it back where you got it and explain exactly what it is to the guy and ask him if his father earned it. If so, he may then have a new understanging for what it is and be glad you gave it back so HE could keep it as a memento. Just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

or take it back where you got it and explain exactly what it is to the guy and ask him if his father earned it. If so, he may then have a new understanging for what it is and be glad you gave it back so HE could keep it as a memento. Just sayin... </div></div>

I would, but he was living in some rental duplexes, and doesn't live there anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 15 years ago, I went to a garage sale up the road from my house, and the guy there had a box of misc. military patches, ribbons, etc. In the bottom of the box, was a bullet on some old paracord. I ended up buying it for something like $2.00. I never really new what it was, and wore it for quite a few years, until the cord finally gave out. It got put in a box and forgot. About a week ago I was going through my old stuff, and found it. I took it up to my local Army Surplus to get more cord to fix it, and the guy cutting the cord asked how I got it. I told him a garage sale and he looked at me like I just shit in his breakfast. He said he couldn't believe some one would get rid of it, and that I would wear it without earning it. Now, did I commit some kind of sin before God and Country by wearing this? Now that it's fixed, should I just put it up, or can I wear it out of respect?

eevilweevil

Based upon your post... don't wear it. You may give people the wrong impression about you.

Replace it with this:

TW-11.jpg

</div></div>

Shank, you make my day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I guess I will just put it in the safe and just keep it as a memento.
Thanks </div></div>

or take it back where you got it and explain exactly what it is to the guy and ask him if his father earned it. If so, he may then have a new understanging for what it is and be glad you gave it back so HE could keep it as a memento. Just sayin... </div></div>
+100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

oh, so I should stop wearing my trident that I got on ebay... Shit all this time I thought all it took to be a seal was $5 and an ebay account. I guess its back to ebay for my next profession. haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 15 years ago, I went to a garage sale up the road from my house, and the guy there had a box of misc. military patches, ribbons, etc. In the bottom of the box, was a bullet on some old paracord. I ended up buying it for something like $2.00. I never really new what it was, and wore it for quite a few years, until the cord finally gave out. It got put in a box and forgot. About a week ago I was going through my old stuff, and found it. I took it up to my local Army Surplus to get more cord to fix it, and the guy cutting the cord asked how I got it. I told him a garage sale and he looked at me like I just shit in his breakfast. He said he couldn't believe some one would get rid of it, and that I would wear it without earning it. Now, did I commit some kind of sin before God and Country by wearing this? Now that it's fixed, should I just put it up, or can I wear it out of respect?

eevilweevil

The Crips do the same shit to me when I wear blue shoes. What gives?</div></div>

HA!

Hell I had one while I was in HS - took it off the belt of M60 ammo I got to fire while on reserve weekend (In HS).

Then I got older and realized nobody wears that stuff...

That's a big no go...

You will receive nothing but harm from wearing that item "out of respect".

People that know and work with a HOG will ridicule you and make you feel small out of "respect" for the individuals that earned the title.

I used to wear a Great White Shark tooth around my neck.
I didn't wear it swimming off San Diego just in case he noticed it and wanted it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's funny you say that, just the other day I went into a local shop to get a new bulb for my surefire that is attached to my sbr. This guy walks up(employee) and said "you know it's real easy to make that a full auto". So I ignored him and continued looking for what I needed, then he says he was a "Ranger" and been shot in the head, blown up and physically I did not see one scar or nothing obvious on him. So this guy just keeps up with all this b.s. and has a little crowd of people listening, and I get tired of all his b.s. and I tell him that it must be lot's of fun playing airsoft and playing his playstaion all day. </div></div>

Wait...you needed a bulb for a flashlight and you took the entire rifle it was attached to with you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's funny you say that, just the other day I went into a local shop to get a new bulb for my surefire that is attached to my sbr. This guy walks up(employee) and said "you know it's real easy to make that a full auto". So I ignored him and continued looking for what I needed, then he says he was a "Ranger" and been shot in the head, blown up and physically I did not see one scar or nothing obvious on him. So this guy just keeps up with all this b.s. and has a little crowd of people listening, and I get tired of all his b.s. and I tell him that it must be lot's of fun playing airsoft and playing his playstaion all day. </div></div>

Wait...you needed a bulb for a flashlight and you took the entire rifle it was attached to with you?</div></div>

yeah whats wrong with that?
shocked.gif
I see you're from Washington but yes we can carry ours anywhere we want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You and Maser should get together for beers.</div></div>

you want to have a drink too?

lazy......you got banned right after I started coming here, so I never really saw any of your posts.....now that you're back, I realize why people give you shit....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eevilweevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ps...I don't even know if it's even real, </div></div>
I find it odd that you don't even know if it is a real bullet, but yet you called it a Hog Tooth. HOG meaning "Hunter of Gunmen" and Tooth representing teeth, as in teeth to tail ratio if you know anything about the study of combatants and combatant support. In simple terms, the grunt has teeth, and the poag has paper. (Poag is not to be confused with Peace Officers Association of Georgia. It refers to REMF's, and candy bars, and was borrowed from a Chinese word for prostitute that sounds a bit like "pogey" that was used by old China Marines when they traded their tootsie rolls for local ass.) The timing is about right though, 15-17 years. The tradition in the Corps started right about then as the Marines in the STA platoons found themselves doing the 360 dance wearing only PT shorts in front of their BNCO. I have the message saved somewhere. Seems that the Corps was not so happy with the SS branding ceremony, so someone came up with a new symbol. It began, mainly, West Coast but several have taken credit. Chandler's featuring of Parisi's "toof" in one of his books helped to popularize it even more. Lindy makes the mistake of using the logical fallacy of relevance in comparing a crucix to this Marine symbol since one is universal and the other belongs to and is really only accepted as something by a very small and elite group. Although I do agree that if you wear it weevil it really is just a bullet on a string. And I agree with those that say you ought to think about where you where it. Some of the younger guys might want to kick in your taint, while older ones will just see you as a groupie, a movement that has grown immensely. I don't get all that worked up about it, since my idea was to give every graduate a copy of Rifleman Dodd. If it means something to you, wear it. When I go to the range, I usually wear Levi's and the old shirt, maybe a light jacket. No jewelry, except for my wrist chronometer, a gold band that has been on my finger for 21+ years, and a small treble hook that has been stuck in my left nipple since a casting accident when I was 7. But I am never surprised by what I see. Civilians show up in full MarPat, shemaghs, tactical operator ninja suits, you name it, carrying, of course, their sniper kit. Many have not been out of the state.

Voltaire once said, "Illusion is the first of all pleasures," but wearing a bullet on a string is one illusion that is not covered by the "Stolen Valor Act."

All Marine scout sniper school graduates since about 1995 have been receiving one on the day they were graduated. It only matters to who it matters to.

And Shark, Semper Fi...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lazy......you got banned right after I started coming here, so I never really saw any of your posts.....now that you're back, I realize why people give you shit....lol</div></div>

Yeah I posted nothing but stupid stuff before I was banned, like 10 new threads a day....LOL. But JasonK is just hatting because he can not be seen with an ar other than the range or his safe
wink.gif
it's nice to take your weapon with you wherever you want without people looking at you like you're a terrorist. JasonK you should move down to the Lone Star State

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Wait...you needed a bulb for a flashlight and you took the entire rifle it was attached to with you?</div></div>

shocked.gif
I see you're from Washington but yes we can carry ours anywhere we want. </div></div>

Lazy21 also takes his wife's entire strap-on vibrator to the hardware store when it needs new batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[, since my idea was to give every graduate a copy of Rifleman Dodd... </div></div>

Haven't read that for years- CS Lewis, IIRC.

1911fan

C.S. Forester. Matthew Dodd is a member of the 95th Foot, Sharpe's unit as well. The skirmisher concept worked so well in fact that it was copied again and again, from Berdan to the U.S. Marine Corps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I posted nothing but stupid stuff before I was banned...</div></div>

...and still continue to do so.

Treble hook to the nipple!!!! Ouch and it's still there ? Makes prone shooting interesting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

shocked.gif
I see you're from Washington but yes we can carry ours anywhere we want. </div></div>

The fact that you asked "what's wrong with that" is a very strong indicator of the deep level of your stupidity. I suppose you carry your couch to the store when you need some upholstery cleaner too huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">C.S. Forester. Matthew Dodd is a member of the 95th Foot, Sharpe's unit as well. The skirmisher concept worked so well in fact that it was copied again and again, from Berdan to the U.S. Marine Corps.</div></div>

Original title was "Death to the French". Heh.

The Marines who graduate snipers school receive a literal hogs tooth to symbolize being a HOG. when they get into a gunfight with an enemy sniper in the field, and do the job they were sent to do (kill enemy snipers) they are encouraged to take the bullet from the chamber of the enemy snipers rifle and make a necklace out of it. This bullet is now your real hogs tooth and is symbolic of being the master of your own death since the bullet is the one meant to take your life, and now you hold it.

i realize that wasnt an eloquent explanation. thats the story ive always heard. it may not be totally accurate, but id never wear that if i was you. you didnt earn it, and it means nothing to you. just put it in your safe if you want to.