• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Holster recommendation for CQB

chalwie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
ATL
Just got a CQB Elite. Any good suggestions for a holster? Need good retention, fast draw, quality lining to reduce wear, and non-concealed. Of course quality construction and durability is a must.
Thanks for your input.

Re: Holster recommendation for CQB

Go to a police supply store and try some out. That will help you much more than hearing our opinions.

Awhile ago I said a long story that dragged on and on and in the end I said Safariland 6004.

Is this duty holster, do you work security, patrol, swat, etc?

You said not concealed...are you talking about just OC'ing?

What kind of retention are you looking for? Open top, thumb break, level 3 or 4?

Where are you carrying it? Belt line? Tight against your body or out so it's easier to get to? Canted or straight up draw?

There are a lot of quality holsters, you need to be specific though in what you're looking for.

For non uniform, OC use I'd recommend the Comp-Tac Minotaur Gladiator. I've been wearing them for several months now have no complaints. LINK

For uniform use I prefer the already mentioned Safariland 6004.

So, why are folks recommending a drop-leg holster (6004) when they don't know if the OP is wearing a duty belt, armor, plain clothes or BDU's, etc?

Context is everything.

A 6004 is the same holster body as a 6280/6285/6287/6005. All built for different purposes.

No one here knows what retention level is required or desired by the OP...so he might need a 6360/6365/6305/6304 if his dept requires Level III retention. That's IF he even works in LE.

Why don't we wait for the OP to fill in some details before everyone just thows out something they themselves are comfortable with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, why are folks recommending a drop-leg holster (6004) when they don't know if the OP is wearing a duty belt, armor, plain clothes or BDU's, etc?

Context is everything.

A 6004 is the same holster body as a 6280/6285/6287/6005. All built for different purposes.

No one here knows what retention level is required or desired by the OP...so he might need a 6360/6365/6305/6304 if his dept requires Level III retention. That's IF he even works in LE.

Why don't we wait for the OP to fill in some details before everyone just thows out something they themselves are comfortable with?</div></div>

^^^ +1 Glad to see someone using their noodle.

Gosh, I guess I'd better study up on my model number memorization for Safariland holsters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh, I guess I'd better study up on my model number memorization for Safariland holsters. </div></div>

Ahh don't sweat it buddy, if JimD doesn't have nits to pick he can't show off his awesomeness......

I don't work in LE, but carry concealed with other reliable go-to guns. This is my first 1911; but Wilson's first-rate quality might make it my go-to gun in the future. For now, I'm just having fun practicing and getting comfortable with it; which is not hard to do. It's really an amazing piece.
I practice a lot at the range: indoors, out, target, action - I mix it up. Will also use this one in tactical classes. Since I don't plan to carry a 5-inch concealed, I want an OWB holster just for practice use. Preferences include slight cant forward, belt-line, no thumb breaks - the less to mess with for fast draws. Although I beat up my guns like any tool, the fit on this one motivates me to protect it to a reasonable extent. So bare kydex is out, but I'd consider a lined one. I love my Crossbreed IWB but didn't notice a lined version (the horse leather is unbeatable).
So there you have it. I'm sure I can find one with some research, but there's some smart guys on this forum. Thanks.

With the added info I'd recommend a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard.

LINK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh, I guess I'd better study up on my model number memorization for Safariland holsters. </div></div>

Ahh don't sweat it buddy, if JimD doesn't have nits to pick he can't show off his awesomeness......</div></div>

You're right - the OP isn't in LE, and is looking for an open top concealed carry/range holster.

Who am I to wonder why people are suggesting a drop leg, closed top, duty holster?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't work in LE, but carry concealed with other reliable go-to guns. This is my first 1911; but Wilson's first-rate quality might make it my go-to gun in the future. For now, I'm just having fun practicing and getting comfortable with it; which is not hard to do. It's really an amazing piece.
I practice a lot at the range: indoors, out, target, action - I mix it up. Will also use this one in tactical classes. Since I don't plan to carry a 5-inch concealed, I want an OWB holster just for practice use. Preferences include slight cant forward, belt-line, no thumb breaks - the less to mess with for fast draws. Although I beat up my guns like any tool, the fit on this one motivates me to protect it to a reasonable extent. So bare kydex is out, but I'd consider a lined one. I love my Crossbreed IWB but didn't notice a lined version (the horse leather is unbeatable).
So there you have it. I'm sure I can find one with some research, but there's some smart guys on this forum. Thanks.</div></div>
Garrett makes a pretty sweet OWB holster that's fast (speed cut front and all), lined, and well made. Borrowed it from a buddy for a 1911 class and loved it.
http://www.shop.gimagclip.com/CartGenie/prod-5.htm

059.jpg

LAV was pretty impressed with it as well.

Highly recommended and the best option for what you've requested that I know of.

I would like to know what "tactical classes" are before I recommend the Comp Tac belt holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who am I to wonder why people are suggesting a drop leg, closed top, duty holster? </div></div>

Apparently, you're the guy who has all of the Safariland model numbers memorized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who am I to wonder why people are suggesting a drop leg, closed top, duty holster? </div></div>

Apparently, you're the guy who has all of the Safariland model numbers memorized.</div></div>

Probably because I work for a Safariland LE distributor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Apparently, you're the guy who has all of the Safariland model numbers memorized.</div></div>

Probably because I work for a Safariland LE distributor. </div></div>

Please forgive me then, I don't.

Perhaps I should have recommended the 6004 "type" holster.

Either way you're still wrong for suggesting a duty holster for a person who is not a law enforcement officer.

Didn't realize you had to be LE to wear a 6004 or 6004 "type" holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't realize you had to be LE to wear a 6004 or 6004 "type" holster. </div></div>

I'd love to have one to mess around with, but a duty holster is not practical for 99% of my purposes, whether it's on a belt or a drop leg rig.

Just because it wouldn't fit <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> purposes doesn't make it wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Need good <span style="color: #3366FF">retention, fast draw, quality lining</span> to reduce wear, and <span style="color: #3366FF">non-concealed</span>. Of course <span style="color: #3366FF">quality construction and durability </span>is a must.
</div></div>

I guess I should turn in my 6004 to the local authorities since I'm not a cop.

I like my 6004, and if you think they can't be ran fast in a non-LE you need to see Rob Leatham run one.

A 6004-ish whichever way it attaches to the person is a great retention holster.

A 6004 is designed to thread onto your belt, and clear tactical armor or gear.

Drop legs are a PITA to run with, and slower to draw from than a higher holster (all else equal). They're a solution to the problem of bulky kit getting in the way of draw from belt holsters. There have been numerous new products brought to market to help raise the holster up, reduce the sagging problem, and lock it in place better.
http://safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004-10 -single strap to wear higher on the leg.
http://safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004-DFA- prevents sagging, rides higher, shifts less on the belt.

Re-holstering is more of a pain, as the holster moves and shifts more than if it's locked down tight on your belt, and it's an absolute chore to thread onto a belt, then fasten around your leg. You going to run out to the store with a 6004 on, seriously? If you thought you bumped into stuff before with a gun on, just try running around with a drop-leg.

Why would someone who doesn't wear armor, and isn't in .mil/LE want one?

Yes the SLS can be fast...but there are lots of cheaper, faster, more convenient and more concealable holsters on the market.

What's the point in recommending stuff without knowing the context for the user?

I'm probably just "nit picking" again though, right?

Alessi CQC-S is a very nice OWB leather holster. I used one in a 5-day pistol class and was very pleased with the comfort and performance.

The 6280 with UBL and 6004-series holsters are nice if you need vertical clearance between load carriage / armor and your holster. They are, however, somewhat different to draw from than what the average earth person carries concealed. "The mission drives the gear train."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You going to run out to the store with a 6004 on, seriously? If you thought you bumped into stuff before with a gun on, just try running around with a drop-leg.

</div></div>

Just me, but for a practical precision rifle match that has pistol work involved, a 100% retention holster that can fit below my match belt with all my rifle gear on it can come in handy. I run it higher without the top thigh belt and its much better than full drop.

Seeing as SnipersHide is mainly geared towards practical precision rifle shooting, far be it from me to think along those lines. I for one am not about to spend the money involved in attending a match only to have my pistol pop out when changing positions on a "run and gun course". Its a bummer to watch someone dive prone with his rifle only to have his pistol hit the dirt too. Makes for a very short expensive weekend...

The OP said "retention" in his original post, but then switched to speed, so I guess it doesn't matter.

And LAV probably wouldn't approve either anyway......

With practise alot of holsters are fast.

I like my Serpa level 2 with a paddle.

It can be canted forward straight up and to the rear. When working on the range I often use it on a heavy belt for easy on-off.

What I like about a thumb strap or side lever is pretty good retention so you can do more than stand on the firing line, your hands hovering to your sides.

With practise you can jam down on the thumbstrap, (or dont even bother like some reserve officers try during quals
wink.gif
) very quickly. The side lever like my Serpa is very fast.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You going to run out to the store with a 6004 on, seriously? If you thought you bumped into stuff before with a gun on, just try running around with a drop-leg.

</div></div>

Just me, but for a practical precision rifle match that has pistol work involved, a 100% retention holster that can fit below my match belt with all my rifle gear on it can come in handy. I run it higher without the top thigh belt and its much better than full drop.

Seeing as SnipersHide is mainly geared towards practical precision rifle shooting, far be it from me to think along those lines. I for one am not about to spend the money involved in attending a match only to have my pistol pop out when changing positions on a "run and gun course". Its a bummer to watch someone dive prone with his rifle only to have his pistol hit the dirt too. Makes for a very short expensive weekend...

The OP said "retention" in his original post, but then switched to speed, so I guess it doesn't matter.

And LAV probably wouldn't approve either anyway......</div></div>

No, thanks for pointing that out. Sounds like you have some very good real world examples for using that holster.

As for LAV approving...

067.jpg

I think you'll be ok.
wink.gif

i run duel safarilands all ambidextrous like and i aint no leo neither.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i run duel safarilands all ambidextrous like and i aint no leo neither. </div></div>

marduk,

Everyone knows that you can do all of that, pull out a grenade pin with your teeth, and do a roundhouse kick that would make Chuck Norris say, "Damn."

We don't need you to make us feel weaker. LOL.

werkin on sewin a nice "el dooche" vest to carry more pistols as transitioning is fasster than reloading post slide lock especially from the segway.

I know I'm holding my breath when I ask for an autograph, but you're freaking famous.

The New York Post calls you, "The Segway to Heaven", and Time magazine says that, "the Iranian government has signed a treaty promising to end their nuclear program as long as marduk is kept within the continental United States."

Is it true that you were cloned from John Wayne?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mar2012</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dude...i am the one cup 2 girls want yo,lmao. </div></div>

Sorry, but I've never seen "The facts of life."

Andrews custom holsters for me. I own four. Hand made by Andrew himself.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Competive pricing and really fast for truely custom. Takes about 3 mos or so. Worth every second and dollar. Extremely reasonable pricing when you look at all the options. Fantastic personel service. As an aside, I waited a year for a Sparks and was not impressed with the holster, belt or mag carriers as the similar Andrew's products were better made, more flexible in options and a delivered a heck of alot faster! Andrew is a gun guy and will make you a holster that your will be proud to own. Belts, mag pouches and accessories are also excellant in price, availabilty and configurations.

Whatever you do, don't use a Kydex holster unless you don't care about the finish of your Wilson. The Blade Techs are good for your Glock but will wear the finish out in a hundred range sessions on your Wilson if your draw and do other tactical manipulations.

Holsters are like women: you have a choice of blondes, brunettes and redheads. All are not without their unique issues. You pick em, just be advised, over time, you'll be forced by functionality, practicality and menatal stability to pick one, regardless of cost.

Its unusual in this day and age to actually talk to the owner and guy who makes your holster. Andrew actually loves his job and is good at it. I am not an Andrew commercial, I just wanted everyone on the Hide to know there is another quality, customer service orientated company out there to support serious shooters.

Good luck and good shooting to you!

It's hard to beat a Milt Sparks 1H or Bruce Nelson Legacy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to beat a Milt Sparks</div></div>

+1

Take a CQC class. One that you actually fight with a weapon on. You will learn quite a bit. Drop legs can be done but are not ideal for it. Appendix carry typically works the best and small of back is the absolute worse. Kydex almost always breaks (so far my Raven gear has been good though), leather IWB is great and strong. And another key is not how fast your draw but when you draw and how consistent your draw process is. Of course, what we do isn't your pretty range time, but it falls in the "probable" percentage of our training. Just some things to think about.

This guy made mistakes, but he fought through it and won which is what we teach. This guy was not a rookie. I cant talk about who he is or who he was with but this wasn't his first rodeo.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HoSYSKXqBsE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HoSYSKXqBsE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Here is another. This one I am in the USSA shirt. Not a perfect run but I didnt get shot.....
I am not sure if this works but I will try and get it on youtube.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1178936569815