Hoplite Arms

Terry Cross

Dingleberry
PX Member
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Alexandria, LA 71303
www.kmwlrs.com
Like it or not, it is the next step in Internal Ballistics. Exactly right in that we have squeezed about all of the available juice out of BC so the only thing left is to increase speed and reduce flight time.

Same evolution happened when we made the jump from black powder cartridges to smokeless. Acceptable working pressures jumped DRAMATICALLY but only with advances in alloy material and heat treat used to build the host firearms.

To this day cartridges like 45 Long Colt are factory loaded to original black powder pressure specs because they may be loaded and shot in original Colt (and other makes) revolvers that were pre-smokeless while the same cartridge can be safely loaded and fired at 44 Magnum pressures in modern Ruger Blackhawks, etc.

I would imagine, we may be witnessing some of the last evolution in cartridge cased ammo. Burning chemicals to move projectiles fast enough for kinetic kills is very inefficient. Totally see hand held rail gun technology or focused beam energy technology coming on line in another decade or so*

*That is if we do not take ourselves back to living in caves and surviving on rotten rat carcasses that we killed with clubs before then.

./

Last edited:

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    I would imagine, we may be witnessing some of the last evolution in cartridge cased ammo. Burning chemicals to move projectiles fast enough for kinetic kills is very inefficient. Totally see hand held rail gun technology or focused beam energy technology coming on line in another decade or so*
    As an electrical engineer with a bit of experience in designing electromagnetic systems, I wouldn't be holding my breath for rail guns any time soon (particularly hand-held devices). By the time we consider real-world aspects, smokeless powder is reasonably efficient. If we assume somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-225 ft-lb/grn (that's a weird unit to type out...) for smokeless power, a 6.5 CM load might be around ~33%. Ain't bad, considering the age of the base technology.

spife7980

Luchador
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2017
    Central TX
    As an electrical engineer with a bit of experience in designing electromagnetic systems, I wouldn't be holding my breath for rail guns any time soon (particularly hand-held devices). By the time we consider real-world aspects, smokeless powder is reasonably efficient. If we assume somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-225 ft-lb/grn (that's a weird unit to type out...) for smokeless power, a 6.5 CM load might be around ~33%. Ain't bad, considering the age of the base technology.
    Bullshit, they had it in the documentaries from the 60s
    1603208285917.png

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Hi,

Successful Monday....

New breech cylinder design completed. The clover leaf shape actually provides a good amount more surface space to handle pressures and still be able to keep the entire receiver footprint as narrow as possible. Aermet 100 with 47HRC, all machining done after heat treatment.

Breech.jpgBreech2.jpg

New receiver body design (Only the action screw hole spacing in order for easier machining of the chassis section).
    Doesn't look too bad right off machine with it being 4140 with 45HRC..all machining done after heat treatment to eliminate any issues with cutting then treating. It sure changes the machine cycle times though, lol
    Aspis1.jpg
    Aspis2.jpg
    Aspis3.jpg

Heading to deburring then engraving...

Sincerely,
    Theis

Last edited:

SkyScrapin

LGOWI
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 31, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    You got any of them OG Texas serialized guns fo sale yet or what? Points if you’ll rig it up with a short forend so I can SBR that mofo.

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    You got any of them OG Texas serialized guns fo sale yet or what? Points if you’ll rig it up with a short forend so I can SBR that mofo.
    Hi,

Sadly as of right now; due to the action screw spacing changes for the new chassis we are putting those OG Texas ones on the back burner and focusing everything to the production models.

But if you keep selling NV and Thermal stuff without talking with me first, lol....You may have to get a Cali serial number scheme haha

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: SkyScrapin

SkyScrapin

LGOWI
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 31, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Hi,

Sadly as of right now; due to the action screw spacing changes for the new chassis we are putting those OG Texas ones on the back burner and focusing everything to the production models.

But if you keep selling NV and Thermal stuff without talking with me first, lol....You may have to get a Cali serial number scheme haha

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Bahaha! I'm rarely selling my kit, but three sets of binos had me scratching my head as to why I owned the other stuff LOL.

I'll patiently wait as numero UNO in line for a big ole Lone Star branded Hoplite, even if that's a couple years down the road.

Mean while, you need to setup a SnipersHide shop tour once you get production all spun up. Good excuse for an exclusive for a bunch of belligerents to stroke a few checks on some new kit.

Reactions: LeftyJason and RS14

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Hi,

With Shot Show cancelled we are setting up a demonstration/exhibition tour up in different regions of USA.
    We are slowly working on a project that will be a continual type demonstration, training, customer experience type event(s).
    This venue will be in Northern area of Texas with capabilities of beyond 2 miles.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Tokay444

Black Rifles Matter.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 24, 2019
    Owner decided it. From what I understand mazak wants only their people to move one. We rearrange every now and then. Happens when you have 250,000sqft and adding 100,000k.

My old integex was just retired after getting crashed really bad. 90's machine and dark green in color. Replaced by a puma.

Lathes these days we mostly have puma with a few okuma and a big mori. Mills we have a mori, 7 grob 750's and ycm's. Not a fan of the ycm's but a bigger fan of them than our retarded tongtai lathes. Grinders we are standardized on studer. Edms are fanuc and makino.
    Just a comment on moving machines.
    It’s not that they only want their people moving the machines. They are bound by law, as are all machine tool vendors to track their machines globally. For obvious WMD manufacturing restrictions. If the machine tilts less than 5 degrees, you can move it until your heart is content. I have done many times. Over 5 degrees and the mercury switch gets triggered and you need a new relocation devise password which only a tech can apply. It’s a shame so many people get confused by this policy.

Steel head

Feral kitten
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    Just a comment on moving machines.
    It’s not that they only wants their people moving the machines. They are bound by law, as are all machine tool vendors to track their machines globally. For obvious WMD manufacturing restrictions. If the machine tilts less than 5 degrees, you can move it until your heart is content. I have done many times. Over 5 degrees and the mercury switch gets triggered and you need a new relocation devise password which only a tech can apply. It’s a shame so many people get confused by this policy.
    Interesting and makes sense.

We have to fill out paperwork for our carbon prepreg here at work as it’s controlled for the same reasons.

Reactions: Tokay444

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Hi,

No Sir,
    New private ranch. 18k acres of immersion experience goodness :)

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Any clues yet as to exactly where and when you'll be open?
    Oh and will they have a SOT there that can handle suppressor transfers so we can shoot them on the property while they are still in "jail"?

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Hi,

New firing pin completed.
    Aspis1.jpg

New bolt is at EDM right now for the bolt handle dovetail due to the Aermet 100 properties and we do not want to break tools while cutting the dovetail angles/corners.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Any clues yet as to exactly where and when you'll be open?
    Oh and will they have a SOT there that can handle suppressor transfers so we can shoot them on the property while they are still in "jail"?
    Hi,

Not really looking to setup licenses and business entities there since land is privately owned by someone else.

Q2 of 2021 is realistic timeframe.

Sincerely,
    Theis

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Is there a reason you’re machining 0.25 instead of hogging it out and then broaching the corners?
    Hi,

My honest (Non Engineer, Non Programmer, haha) Saturday sitting at home answer is because that is what the programmer/operator told me how he was doing it, lol.

I will get real answer from him Monday morning when he comes in.

Sincerely,
    Theis

gnochi

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2019
    Orange County, CA
    Hi,

My honest (Non Engineer, Non Programmer, haha) Saturday sitting at home answer is because that is what the programmer/operator told me how he was doing it, lol.

I will get real answer from him Monday morning when he comes in.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    That’s a good enough reason lol

• Haha
    Reactions: THEIS

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    That’s a good enough reason lol
    Hi,

You not going to get me into a debate with you engineering/programming guys that definitely know more about machining than myself.
    For most time I know what I do not know, which at times can be more important than knowing what I do know. lol

Sincerely,
    Theis

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 25, 2019
    @THEIS
    Do you still have a picture of that recovered bullet from a gain twist barrel. Do you remember what the gain twist was?

thinking about getting a 338 barrel for shooting jacket bullets and getting a gain 10 to 9 LH twist.

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Hi,

Just got word from Frank at Bartlien that hopefully our first batch of new alloy LH GT (all ending in 7) will be finishing up this month.

From 6CM to 338LM....specifically for Badlands Precision monos.

Edited To Add: Cutting on center section chassis today.
    Center Section Blend.jpeg

Sincerely,
    Theis

Last edited:

TheOfficeT-Rex

Not a good shottist
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 19, 2019
    Theis,
    Are those 6CMs going to run badlands monos as well? If so, are they the 84gn Badlands lists on their website, or is there a newer design?

b6graham

MMPRL
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2014
    man does that look spicy

glad to see they have some new stuff. hoping for some awesome 7mm's too!

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Hi,

PSA of the week, lolol.....

Aermet 100 in our processed specifications is a pain in my ASS, lolol...

Drilling the 12mm diameter hole in the bolt body was not too too bad but where that hole steps down to 6mm diameter at 144.9mm deep into the bolt body is tool consumptive, lolol.....It kind of drills like Inconel 625

Looking like RAM EDM for production.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Last edited:

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Hi,

There is just no way to get around this thing looking like a block, lol....
    Even with that chassis only being 1.8898 inches wide it just will not stop looking like some kind of mine resistant armored vehicle.

Messing with chassis ejection port area looks today.
    We can look at 3D files all day long and sometimes you just have to sacrifice a little machine time and alloy to see things in real D.
    Pretty sure on the production models we are just going to remove that ejection port "inlet" on the chassis completely. The receiver ejection port rides high enough on the receiver that no matter how we try to "match" the lines they visibly look separated due to the distance between them.

Just another one of those things that we do not typically see manufacturers discussing.
    #industrytransparency, lolol

Sincerely,
    Theis

Chassis-Receiver Aspis.jpg

Sincerely,
    Theis

Lapuapalooza

Benefactor of the Resurrection
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 24, 2013
    Colorado
    Hi,

There is just no way to get around this thing looking like a block, lol....
    Even with that chassis only being 1.8898 inches wide it just will not stop looking like some kind of mine resistant armored vehicle.

Messing with chassis ejection port area looks today.
    We can look at 3D files all day long and sometimes you just have to sacrifice a little machine time and alloy to see things in real D.
    Pretty sure on the production models we are just going to remove that ejection port "inlet" on the chassis completely. The receiver ejection port rides high enough on the receiver that no matter how we try to "match" the lines they visibly look separated due to the distance between them.

Just another one of those things that we do not typically see manufacturers discussing.
    #industrytransparency, lolol

Sincerely,
    Theis

View attachment 7474437

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Maybe just a simple bevel on the top edge...

Is there anything “simple” going on in your world? 😁 Thanks for keeping us posted!!

Reactions: gnochi

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Maybe just a simple bevel on the top edge...

Is there anything “simple” going on in your world? 😁 Thanks for keeping us posted!!
    Hi,

Everyone knows that "Simple, Sucks", lolol.
    Case in point, it was real simple for Russia to become overseer's of Armenian territory being handled over to Azerbaijan. It was real easy for Belarus riot police to beat the shit out of 80 year old's and arrest over 20k people in the past month.

Sincerely,
    Theis

• Wow
    Reactions: Lapuapalooza

TacticalDillhole

Shiner of shoes
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Jun 26, 2012
    N. Carolina
    Hi,

Everyone knows that "Simple, Sucks", lolol.
    Case in point, it was real simple for Russia to become overseer's of Armenian territory being handled over to Azerbaijan. It was real easy for Belarus riot police to beat the shit out of 80 year old's and arrest over 20k people in the past month.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Turkey needs to be kicked out of NATO anyway

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    looks like MRAP's little brother...prob just a durable

View attachment 7474539

Hi,

Well, Hoplite has been offered the North American distribution of such vehicles from Ukraine, lol
    1605647885447.png

Sincerely,
    Theis

Turkey needs to be kicked out of NATO anyway
    Hi,

That is worth quoting just so it is said again.
    Not going to happen in the foreseeable future though.

Sincerely,
    Theis

if it was simple everyone would be doing it
    Hi,

Sometimes the separation between innovative and "neva ben done befo" (I learning to speak Louisianian) is very narrow, hahaha

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: lash

TacticalDillhole

Shiner of shoes
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Jun 26, 2012
    N. Carolina
    Hi,

Well, Hoplite has been offered the North American distribution of such vehicles from Ukraine, lol
    View attachment 7474549

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

That is worth quoting just so it is said again.
    Not going to happen in the foreseeable future though.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Hi,

Sometimes the separation between innovative and "neva ben done befo" (I learning to speak Louisianian) is very narrow, hahaha

Sincerely,
    Theis
    nope. access to the black sea is too important

gnochi

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2019
    Orange County, CA
    nope. access to the black sea is too important
    Well, it doesn’t have to be anything resembling the current government of Turkey controlling that access...

@THEIS I agree with the beveling comment above. A simple bevel along the top edge of the chassis will probably look best. Given the height difference between the chassis and receiver, I would probably either have the bevel surface aimed at the vertical/bevel edge on the receiver or aimed at the inner edge of the receiver bevel at the picatinny interface.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2017
    Enon Louisiana
    hoplitearms.com
    Well, it doesn’t have to be anything resembling the current government of Turkey controlling that access...
    Hi,

Yea because the USA has such good track record on implementing govs in other countries, lol....we need to get a handle on our own first before we look like this picture from today in Kiev.
    1605649156871.png

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: lash and gnochi