• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Easy there.......
Just to clear any misconceptions, lol.

There will be only 1 person with Aspis by Christmas and that is dependent on how fast coating and barrel completed.
BUT BUT..with that being said.

I do intend to release cost and expected delivery schedule with deposit information before Christmas.

With us going over to the new Bartlein alloy in LH Gain twist the delivery schedule is fluid at the moment until we get a better understanding/gauge on what barrel specifications we need to stock more of in terms of---Jacketed or Monolithic desires.

Even though we are a production rifle company and not a full blown custom building company. I absolutely understand that we have to offer barrel specifications to suit our customers projectile desires. Even though I personally only want the 7 twist LH Gains in everything, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

1607551291887.gif

Well, it’s easy, I don’t have a reloading setup yet because I’d rather buy once and ain’t nobody got nothing for sale, and Prime only sells 300NM ammo with jacketed bullets 😁

If it makes you feel better, I have a 1:10-1:6 LHGT 300/308 30” barrel blank sitting in my closet... that’s also waiting on said reloading setup to exist.

Since you’re taking requests, I *do* want my cheek rest and bag rider to be nitrided. For the aesthetic.

Hi,

LOLOLOL and luckily for you I am like the Bobby "I know a guy" Bones from the movie 2 guns, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Damn, you learn those moves while knocking people over the head and carrying them out the fields to your cave, lol?

Sincerely,
Theis

• Haha
Reactions: Lapuapalooza
for the guys who know more than i do (which is most) how fast have 30 cal bergers been pushed before the blow up.

i guessing some guys have tried them in really necked down cartridges with big powder charges

last few posts got the juices flowing today

for the guys who know more than i do (which is most) how fast have 30 cal bergers been pushed before the blow up.

i guessing some guys have tried them in really necked down cartridges with big powder charges

last few posts got the juices flowing today

From what I’ve heard, 300,000 rpm (twist/12 * muzzle speed in FPS * 60s/min) is the limit for thin-jacketed bullets, and if the rifling is poorly done you might well be blowing up in the 280-290 range.

Reactions: brianf
@tate1976

What’s the real difference between 27 and 30

If I remember the original 250gr LM was designed around a 27 1/2” barrel.

Which is prob why AI still goes that route

Thanks

@tate1976

What’s the real difference between 27 and 30

If I remember the original 250gr LM was designed around a 27 1/2” barrel.

Which is prob why AI still goes that route

Thanks
More speed. And AI rifles need to be manageable out in the field. For me it’s truck to range.

How much more would you expect to get for the additional 2-3”

does the powder you use change to a slower burn rate?

thanks

More speed. And AI rifles need to be manageable out in the field. For me it’s truck to range.

Hi,

Ok so here is a question(s)...

With option one being fast exit twist specifically for monolithics in the 300NM.

What gain in speed are you getting from the 3 inches more of barrel that CANNOT be gotten from just pushing them faster out of the case?
Because you are not worried about blowing jackets due to being pushed too fast.

Because the gain in speed from longer barrel is no better at transonic stability (projectile dependent of course) than the transonic stability from pushing them faster out the gate from the 27" barrel.

Are you wanting to go 1 burn rate slower that needs the extra burn length in order to reduce cartridge pressures, extending brass life, etc ???

What is your desires/utilization of the extra speed via longer barrel?
1. Better transition?
2. Extend transition?
3. Purely TOF?
4. Etc Etc

Sincerely,
Theis

If really long barrels are available.......

Hi,

You referencing the HP level stuff or traditional?

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: gnochi and samb300
Hi,

You referencing the HP level stuff or traditional?

Sincerely,
Theis

If you happened to have a longer barrel on either one, I'd want it, but I'm also happy with your standard 27" barrels.
If the 27" barrels are what is standard coming off the line, I'll take the rifle with one of those right away rather than waiting longer.

As you mentioned above, since we can push the projectiles faster, all is good with the 27" barrels.

I've got enough Lapua .338LM brass but I'll need to buy the better turned brass for pushing the monolithics to a bit higher pressures.
Are you finding anyone with the lathe turned brass for the standard stuff (such as .338LM) in stock or is it all infinite back order?

I assume for your super high pressure 7mm/.338 Leonidas rounds when that comes out, you'll probably be selling the cases and loaded ammunition as well as the barrel upgrade kits?

Thanks for the updates, it's great to almost be at the: "Shut up and take my money" stage HA!

Out of curiosity what 30cal solids best take advantage of the 300 Norma and 1-7 twist barrels? Also is it safe to assume these will be single feed or will the magazines be longer than the standard CIP mags?

If you happened to have a longer barrel on either one, I'd want it, but I'm also happy with your standard 27" barrels.
If the 27" barrels are what is standard coming off the line, I'll take the rifle with one of those right away rather than waiting longer.

As you mentioned above, since we can push the projectiles faster, all is good with the 27" barrels.

I've got enough Lapua .338LM brass but I'll need to buy the better turned brass for pushing the monolithics to a bit higher pressures.
Are you finding anyone with the lathe turned brass for the standard stuff (such as .338LM) in stock or is it all infinite back order?

I assume for your super high pressure 7mm/.338 Leonidas rounds when that comes out, you'll probably be selling the cases and loaded ammunition as well as the barrel upgrade kits?

Thanks for the updates, it's great to almost be at the: "Shut up and take my money" stage HA!

Hi,

To the point I am about ready to machine my own. It is crazy to be 90+ days on standard cartridge stuff but that is just the nature of the industry right now.

Absolutely correct. For the HP stuff we will be selling not only loaded ammunition but tailored to your barrel.

You have no idea, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

Out of curiosity what 30cal solids best take advantage of the 300 Norma and 1-7 twist barrels? Also is it safe to assume these will be single feed or will the magazines be longer than the standard CIP mags?

Hi,

While that may seem like a simple question, lol..it is actually quiet complex.
Short Answer is:
Badlands Precision 215grain projectiles.
Our magazines are AI CIP but for someone that wanted to push the envelope we will be testing some faster burn rate powders and see what MV we can pick back up with putting them in magazine length COAL.

Now to the complex part in regards to what 30cal solids best take advantage...
That would depend on what advantage you were seeking.
Seeking transition advantage?
Seeking pure supersonic advantage?
Seeking TOF advantage?
Seeking penetration advantage?

Sincerely,
Theis

personally i want the most accurate supersonic rounds i can find

if i plan on pushing far into subsonic range id move up to a bigger cartridge

Reactions: putput30

If I had to pick one or the other I would also pick the bullet with the greatest supersonic range. I would be willing to give up a little for a bullet that transitions well though.

Hi,

O for that...You want the fast exit twist for Monos. Then you just push them as hard/fast as you can since you will not be concerned about whether they become unstable during the transition once they start slowing down velocity wise with such RPMs.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: putput30
How long is that rail?

from one of the other pics it looks like your forend has mounting holes the whole length.

can it be mounted at different positions?

thanks

how does the 20moa part work in relation to the 20moa on the action as i change the mounting position?

Hi,

As soon as I have the barreled action and chassis back from coating I will let you know.
I have been purchasing NV shit to wrap my head around it via utilization but the paper side of my brain says production will be 0 angle on the NV Bridge.
I also am working on something that I may need the angle with...TBD.
You know anyone that has PVS30 housings, lol??

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: b6graham
I’ve been following this thread since the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed both the journey and the transparency.

Apologies if this has been addressed in various responses but could you shed some light on your thought process on:

1. why you decided to do this (what was missing from the market, etc.), and
2. who did you want/expect your target customer to be?

I’ve been following this thread since the beginning and have thoroughly enjoyed both the journey and the transparency.

Apologies if this has been addressed in various responses but could you shed some light on your thought process on:

Precision Rifle Media: podcast 164

So just a guess here.... think Accuracy International reliability + Gunwerks system + alot of forethought = Hoplite

@THEIS

Is that about right?

Reactions: RS14
So just a guess here.... think Accuracy International reliability + Gunwerks system + alot of forethought = Hoplite

@THEIS

Is that about right?

Hi,

Pretty close.
We have taken system strength to an entirely new dimension with alloys chosen for the bolt and the breech cylinder. There is just no way for standard utilized metals to meet or surpass the ultimate tensile strength, yield strengths, ductility, ect as the Aermet 100 alloy we use.

So on top of the reliability we are able to safely push cartridge ballistics without much compounding fatigue issues on the bolt/breech cylinder.

We haven't announced it yet, so now is as good as time as ever, lol.
We are teaming up with ZCO for the day scope optical component of our package systems!!

We also are working the logistics out on offering our customers a free 1 day familiarization/armorers course to bring their Hoplite Arms rifle to the training facility and have us explain and go over the entire system along with getting them on targets out to a mile.
Same course at a cost though, will be offered to potential customers in which the will utilize a factory demo rifle. Cost of course will be credited to the purchase of a Hoplite Arms rifle.

The EXPERIENCE of becoming a Hoplite Arms customer must be included in your "formula" above, lol...Our intentions is to provide a better experience along with a great product.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Hi,

Pretty close.
We have taken system strength to an entirely new dimension with alloys chosen for the bolt and the breech cylinder. There is just no way for standard utilized metals to meet or surpass the ultimate tensile strength, yield strengths, ductility, ect as the Aermet 100 alloy we use.

So on top of the reliability we are able to safely push cartridge ballistics without much compounding fatigue issues on the bolt/breech cylinder.

We are teaming up with ZCO for the day scope optical component of our package systems!!

We also are working the logistics out on offering our customers a free 1 day familiarization/armorers course to bring their Hoplite Arms rifle to the training facility and have us explain and go over the entire system along with getting them on targets.
Same course will be offered to potential customers in which the will utilize a factory demo rifle. Cost of course will be credited to the purchase of a Hoplite Arms rifle.

The EXPERIENCE of becoming a Hoplite Arms customer must be included in your "formula" above, lol...Our intentions is to provide a better experience along with a great product.

Sincerely,
Theis
so when can we get to work on a better reticle in those ZCO’s?

So by potential customers...

I can come down for a few bucks get to put a few rounds down range and if fall in love with the rifle I get to roll some of that money into my build.

Reactions: gnochi
So by potential customers...

I can come down for a few bucks get to put a few rounds down range and if fall in love with the rifle I get to roll some of that money into my build.

Hi,

Correct.
You sign up for the familiarization/armorers/demo course and pay the tuition.
You come down and enjoy a casual day with us at the range. We explain the in's/outs of the system as a whole and you get to put some rounds downrange.
At the end of the course we will exchange credit code for you to roll over the course tuition into your weapon system.

Sincerely,
Theis

Are they letting you offer any special package deals at a lower cost than getting things separate?

We also are working the logistics out on offering our customers a free 1 day familiarization/armorers course to bring their Hoplite Arms rifle to the training facility and have us explain and go over the entire system along with getting them on targets out to a mile.
Same course at a cost though, will be offered to potential customers in which the will utilize a factory demo rifle. Cost of course will be credited to the purchase of a Hoplite Arms rifle.

Sincerely,
Theis

Assuming of course thanks to the world still being all crazy about Covid, things may change, is this going to be at your LA facility, or were you still planning on a few road show events around the country?

I too have followed this thread from the beginning and as an aero engineer (from the stone age era, really LOL) I have found it very, very interesting. Not just the design, but the process of iterative design/changes.

Probably not a rifle for me...at least not at this time...but I do wish @THEIS the best of luck with his product launch. I really appreciated the incredible transparency he has shown the community during this weapon system design process.

Hi,

We also will be inviting some select members to join us for a free gathering aka course proof out to get a few rounds on target and introduction to the weapon system before it goes on sale.

This will be a pretty informal meet and greet type event.

Sincerely,
Theis

Details needed!

Details needed!

Hi,

Details so far, lol...

Aspis model rifle with LH Gain in new alloy from Bartlein.
ZCO Scope
300NM with mono goodness
1 Mile range
Some kind of BBQ from one of the local pit gurus
Full layout, explanation and details of the this vs that, why vs why not of the rifle, chassis, scope, Genesis Ballistics Solutions mobile app, etc.

We will be discussing best methodology for selecting the first invitees.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Details so far, lol...

Aspis model rifle with LH Gain in new alloy from Bartlein.
ZCO Scope
300NM with mono goodness
1 Mile range
Some kind of BBQ from one of the local pit gurus
Full layout, explanation and details of the this vs that, why vs why not of the rifle, chassis, scope, Genesis Ballistics Solutions mobile app, etc.

We will be discussing best methodology for selecting the first invitees.

Sincerely,
Theis

😳😳😳😳😳

Reactions: b6graham
Hi,

Ahhhh....Last day of the year update, lol.

Receiver and Chassis out of coating/metal treatment...heading for barreling!!

Sincerely,
Theis
Theis,

I am always excited to read updates about your rifles. I may have missed it but have you announced pricing for the systems and components yet? Thanks and happy new year!

Birdsong coatings?

Hi,

On this revision 3 of the receiver and chassis system we are using it to test a new metal treatment for the entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and interior of action body while the exterior action body is DLC and the chassis is Type 3 hard anodize.

The type 3 hard anodizing of the chassis will let our tester and introductory course students get a better "feel" of the flow, lines and radii of the chassis in its true form without cerakote (Being thicker) acting as a smoothing agent.
We want to get raw data to make the decision on what chassis coating we are going to run with for production and it lets us add another coating in which we have the entire chassis drawings specified for its' thickness.

The DLC exterior of receiver body is to see how it holds up compared to the Birdsong being DLC is used more widely in the industry. I cannot tell a potential customer why Hoplite chose Birdsong or DLC if I do not know first hand how the DLC on the Hoplite action does. We know exactly how the Birdsong holds up and it is pretty damn awesome.

The entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and interior of action is being tested with a relatively unknown (To the firearms industry) metal treatment that has crazy friction coefficient with adding absolutely 0 dimensional changes.

All that said and typed with the caveat of production models could very well be back to my top pick as of right now...Birdsong.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

On this revision 3 of the receiver and chassis system we are using it to test a new metal treatment for the entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and interior of action body while the exterior action body is DLC and the chassis is Type 3 hard anodize.

The type 3 hard anodizing of the chassis will let our tester and introductory course students get a better "feel" of the flow, lines and radii of the chassis in its true form without cerakote (Being thicker) acting as a smoothing agent.
We want to get raw data to make the decision on what chassis coating we are going to run with for production and it lets us add another coating in which we have the entire chassis drawings specified for its' thickness.

The DLC exterior of receiver body is to see how it holds up compared to the Birdsong being DLC is used more widely in the industry. I cannot tell a potential customer why Hoplite chose Birdsong or DLC if I do not know first hand how the DLC on the Hoplite action does. We know exactly how the Birdsong holds up and it is pretty damn awesome.

The entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly and interior of action is being tested with a relatively unknown (To the firearms industry) metal treatment that has crazy friction coefficient with adding absolutely 0 dimensional changes.

All that said and typed with the caveat of production models could very well be back to my top pick as of right now...Birdsong.

Sincerely,
Theis
I wish you wouldn’t be so vague and secretive 😂🤣🤣

Thanks Theis, I am so impressed with your process. So different than most of this industry’s companies, very refreshing compared to the pre buy and wait for ever or a recall because it hasn’t been tested. I think you will be very successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.