• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concur.

As to the bolt handle, mimic the AI. It's not just angle, but length as well. I personally feel, that putting the force for moving the bolt to the rear (and minimally offset from the longitudinal axis) makes the bolt movement "feel" smoother by not allowing a shooter to bind the bolt against the receiver wall. As we discussed earlier, I think this is why the "AI style" bolt handles are so popular with the Tikkas; they reduce the perpendicular leverage by the shooter when transitioning from unlocking the bolt to extracting (rearward movement) the case. As a result, the bolt operation just "feels" smoother. Essentially, you're pulling the bolt back, rather than dragging it back.

Again, just my personal thoughts on this matter.
It’s not just the angle but the dangle is just as important.

I have mixed feelings about the AI bolt handle and sweep. On my AI it's fine. That action sits really high in the stock so there is almost no circumstances where the back of my trigger finger comes into contact with the bolt handle.

On my Tempest and also on my Barnard ( I have a custom AI bolt handle on my Palma Rifle) the position of the bolt knob as well as the depth of the actions in the stock can put me in a position where the back of my index finger touches the handle. A lot on the Barnard, to the point that I have to shoot it thumb up and cannot grip the stock at all with my thumb or web. Not so much on the Tempest in the T2, but some weird angle shit makes me go thumb on index knuckle.

I see you have a dovetail for the handles so I assume there will be options. AI should certainly be one of them but a striated handle with a moderate ball or teardrop also works very well.

Reactions: Basher
Hi,

I will draw up a swept bolt handle and see how it lays out in relation to trigger and grip.
As the bolt handle lays right now in Stage 1 model of chassis it is pretty hard to miss grabbing it during cycle.

View attachment 7117700

Sincerely,
Theis

Trigger seems to sit pretty far back. Which is good for us folk with wee people hands.

Excuse my ignorance... I am fairly new to the site and relatively new to the game. What manufacturer do you represent @THEIS? I am still learning a lot about brands and companies

Excuse my ignorance... I am fairly new to the site and relatively new to the game. What manufacturer do you represent @THEIS? I am still learning a lot about brands and companies
It's a new player in the market. I don't want to steal Theis' thunder, so will defer to him for his official press release..

looks pretty cool

Is the rail integral or pinned, i dont see any screws up top

thanks

thanks, was hoping so

had some issues with non integral rails in the past...dont want to go through that again

funny how its always the last thing you check winds up being the problem

Reactions: THEIS
I’m digging the action design, not knocking it by no means.

That meme popped in my head for some reason. Lol

Are you doing rifles in a traditional old fashioned style hunting stock or all chassis type?

I hope for your company's sake it takes REM 700 style triggers. No one wants 3.5lb two-stage triggers. It just takes so much emotional energy to rationalize how you actually prefer them after you pay $8000 for the rifle with no other options for improvement.

Speak for yourself! I actually do find myself preferring my AI trigger. It could be a hair lighter, but it’s not a benchrest rifle, nor do I use it as such. I find it to be an excellent field trigger, thank you very much! ☺

I hope for your company's sake it takes REM 700 style triggers. No one wants 3.5lb two-stage triggers. It just takes so much emotional energy to rationalize how you actually prefer them after you pay $8000 for the rifle with no other options for improvement.

The parts diagram gave me the impression that the trigger is more of the Tikka variety. Has the single vertical screw holding it in place.

Are you doing rifles in a traditional old fashioned style hunting stock or all chassis type?

Hi,

We are running 50 DBMs right now and I sent a RFI/RFQ to McM (A10, A5, A4, TPR, A5 Supermag) and KMW (Sentinel) yesterday for flat top stock availability so we can look at minimizing the center chassis piece to fit into them for the traditional stock users.

Not M700 but adjustable from 1.5 to 4 pounds.
How did that "Comp" grade trigger work out for AI in the ASR testing lolol.......

Sincerely,
Theis

Exactly....

"Benchrest triggers" and "field triggers" are terms invented by AI owners to downplay a decent trigger like a Diamond and excuse their triggers. I've shot many a "field trigger" on sniper rifles. They all suck.

I bought an AT a month or two ago. The previous owner had the trigger adjusted down to a decent feel, but guess what? It's not drop safe. I bought a Comp trigger from someone else used. He had it adjusted just a touch lighter than the stock AI trigger. It also is not drop safe. I bet both those guys would've told people how much they like their AI triggers.

I’ll say it again. I like my AI trigger. You don’t have to believe me, but it’s true nevertheless. And it’s drop safe. ;)

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread... :)

Will the lapua bolt face action have 1/8th thread tenon?

Hi,

Sorry I overlooked this earlier today when I was replying to other questions.

The barrel thread specifications are the same for both the medium and large receivers.
M28x1.5 with 20mm thread length.

The breech plug has crazy fit tolerance with no threads, so it fits into receiver body then the mouth of barrel presses into the breech plug via the M28x1.5 with 20mm thread length.

Sincerely,
Theis

So the action alone won’t be available?
I actually prefer 3-4lb 2 stages. I grew up shooting NRA style where our service rifle minimums were 4.5lbs. I don’t think I own anything under 3.5lbs at the moment.

Last edited:
very interesting, I will be interested to see what price point this hits.

Looks a lot like the action Finnish manufacturer W&L Firearms marketed before they went belly-up.

Hi,

Good eye and international industry knowledge :).

Some changes have been made internally since I acquired them.
Myself and Tom have been working on this design for a while now.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Theis,
I just found this thread and am happy I did. I have been about to start a new build for a few months now on either a Curtis or Tempest, but after finding this all that is on hold. I would love to be able to support you on this venture. I will be watching for more info...

Speak for yourself! I actually do find myself preferring my AI trigger. It could be a hair lighter, but it’s not a benchrest rifle, nor do I use it as such. I find it to be an excellent field trigger, thank you very much! ☺

"Benchrest triggers" and "field triggers" are terms invented by AI owners to downplay a decent trigger like a Diamond and excuse their triggers. I've shot many a "field trigger" on sniper rifles. They all suck.

I bought an AT a month or two ago. The previous owner had the trigger adjusted down to a decent feel, but guess what? It's not drop safe. I bought a Comp trigger from someone else used. He had it adjusted just a touch lighter than the stock AI trigger. It also is not drop safe. I bet both those guys would've told people how much they like their AI triggers.

Not trying to start anything or specifically say others opinions are incorrect, rather stating my personal feelings. I agree, I too love the AI trigger. I can honestly say that the weight of pull (up to a point, say around 3 pounds) has NO effect on my execution of a shot. IMO if anyone says they can’t shoot well with an AI trigger or similar then that is a failure on them and their shooting process. That being said it absolutely has to be a clean, crisp, and repeatable 2 stage trigger. If it is a single stage it needs to be lighter, but my personal opinion is a single stage trigger has no place in this world other than in Benchrest competitions where you want to touch the rifle as little as possible. Which in my opinion is not a “shooting” competition rather a load development, rifle tuning, wind reading competition...

Tagging in. 2 reasons; new bolt gun will be being started sooner than later, and, I'm always intrigued by the mystery surrounding our beloved @THEIS . He always has an answer, and they're always delivered with facts. That action looks serious, and I've come to expect nothing less from you. Thank you, and best of luck. Looking forward to when I may be able to get hands on

• Haha
Reactions: TACC and THEIS
Hey JBell, let's move a discussion about triggers to another thread on the Bolt Gun forum. I think it's interesting and worth discussing but it does risk sidetracking Theis's thread here.

I can’t agree more! I should have thought about that before I opened my mouth... my apologies to all

Back on the subject at hand.

Theis, I think you mentioned the breech cylinder is held in place by the fit in the action and maybe the barrel. Is this correct? Is it going to be replaceable by the end user and do you think you will offer them as a separate part?

I really like the flat bottom design! It looks like the tang is pretty thick, is it or is it just the picture? This will make bedding super easy and provide a more secure contact with a chassis design with out having to skim bed.

Reactions: THEIS and FatBoy
Hi,

Good eye and international industry knowledge :).

Some changes have been made internally since I acquired them.
Myself and Tommi W. have been working on this design for a while now.

Sincerely,
Theis

Nah, not really international industry knowledge since I'm a Finn but I thought I'd seen a similar design somewhere ? Glad to see it surfacing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.