• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hoplite Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Friday update before I overdose on quality/process manuals this weekend, lolol......

10 Chassis' on the way to Birdsong today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fina-fucking-ly, hahahaha

Sincerely,
Theis

I understand your pain (different industry and EPA/FDA). Good luck and caffeine is your friend...or if you're rich enough cocaine 🤣🤣🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: THEIS and brianf
Hi,

Yes, you will be able to go from the 6.5 Manbun to the LM sized cartridges by just switching bolts, magazine and barrel.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Actually it is not a special freebore chamber. It is actually the same chamber we have been running all the factory ammunition through.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Actually the way RUAG imports their ammunition will be the hassle on that.

They import to a free trade zone and then it gets released from there after a customer orders it....long tax story short....it will be a hassle due to how it is imported.

But reloading dies are available :cool:

Sincerely,
Theis
I haven’t seen any bullets for sale without jumping through a bunch of hoops and they want some kind of .gov credentials. For true AP/API bullets that is

I’m waffling on colors

For the guys who are in, what colors are you ordering

Hi,

@phlegethon
That guy needs to do a follow up to that video and bring us on it, lololol

Sincerely,
Theis
There was a reason Ian from Forgotten Weapons and Inrange TV were brought up when you asked about youtube reviewers.

I would contact @MK20. They know each other. Or at least there was a video done with one of his rifles.

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

Stolen picture but definitely needs to be on every 6.5CM barrel.

View attachment 7635962

Sincerely,
Theis

It's better in my ghetto blaster stock.
I should take a pic of it outside though.
20210528_134905.jpg

I was toying with the idea of hardware and a few small pieces copper and the main guys black

Reactions: lash
And why have I not seen that one at the range?
Lol, I made it for my wife, but she never took to it. It’s an ADL converted to BDL .223 varmint rem. I never un-bedded the used stock before slapping the larger profile in there, so should do that first...😁

The whole bolt is dead sexy. Could have lived without seeing @THEIS hose laying on the floor though. 🤢

Hi,

What kind of transparency would there be if every single picture was staged, lol....Don't make me pull the CCT footage showing opened cans of fiberglass mix laying on the 2nd shelf on the right, lololol

Sincerely,
Theis

“Modern art” for a modern design

Hi,

Functional art achieved via modern alloys and design, :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Dual Ejectors is downright sexy.

Hi,

They are but it can definitely highlight the spring manufacturer's tolerances.

Sincerely,
Theis

I don’t know if I missed it, but am curious what the mix of calibers is that has already been ordered. Not interested in numbers as that’s none of my business. More interested in the preponderance of orders.

All along, I’ve been thinking 338 LM since I’m familiar with it and have everything needed to hit the ground running. Plus I like the cartridge. I sometimes find myself lusting after some of cartridges superior to it for ELR, but since I really don’t travel for ELR and distances for me are maxed out at 2000-ish, I don’t really need a 300 NM or 360.

At this point I’m still thinking mostly .338. I know I can’t go wrong with it, especially if I get the faster twist.

I don’t know if I missed it, but am curious what the mix of calibers is that has already been ordered. Not interested in numbers as that’s none of my business. More interested in the preponderance of orders.

All along, I’ve been thinking 338 LM since I’m familiar with it and have everything needed to hit the ground running. Plus I like the cartridge. I sometimes find myself lusting after some of cartridges superior to it for ELR, but since I really don’t travel for ELR and distances for me are maxed out at 2000-ish, I don’t really need a 300 NM or 360.

At this point I’m still thinking mostly .338. I know I can’t go wrong with it, especially if I get the faster twist.

So far the popular ones look to be:

.300NM
.338LM
.375 Swiss P

However you aren't stuck with what you ordered, since you can just get another barrel from Theis and swap over to another caliber of those 3 choices.

He also plans to make swaps between boltfaces and LA/SA cartridges available at some point in the future, much like the AXMC type system.

So far the popular ones look to be:

.300NM
.338LM
.375 Swiss P

However you aren't stuck with what you ordered, since you can just get another barrel from Theis and swap over to another caliber of those 3 choices.

He also plans to make swaps between boltfaces and LA/SA cartridges available at some point in the future, much like the AXMC type system.
You are right and I guess that I knew that. Thanks for the reminder.

You mind consider 338 NM as well.
Fits magazines better with the high BC bullets.

If you already have all the stuff you need to load for .338LM that's a solid choice to go with.

My suggestion would be to get the barrel setup for monolithics and then grab a bunch of Badlands ICBM-2 projectiles.

You mind consider 338 NM as well.
Fits magazines better with the high BC bullets.
I’ll have to look into the two to see some comparisons. Thanks.
If you already have all the stuff you need to load for .338LM that's a solid choice to go with.

My suggestion would be to get the barrel setup for monolithics and then grab a bunch of Badlands ICBM-2 projectiles.
My likely route, since I can always play with something else later with no issue. First, I still have about 80 or so of the original 255.5 Flatlines I should use up. I could just use them up in the Savage and may still do so, but had figured to finish up that barrel and keep that one for my regular 285s.

I agree with the above.

I’m going 300 Norma …I have to shoot those solids

but with the quality of product, a cal change in the same bolt face is a hoplite “prefit” in the mail and shooting by Saturday.

I’ll take a measurement tonight as now I’m curious if you could mag feed 265 or 285 badlands with a 338 NM
You definitely would want a reamer with a lot less free bore than standard.

I’ll take a measurement tonight as now I’m curious if you could mag feed 265 or 285 badlands with a 338 NM
You definitely would want a reamer with a lot less free bore than standard.
Question for you.

there is a lot of voodoo about solids. Why do you suggest much less freeborn?

is there a formula caliber to freebore?
Ex 30 cal X ## = freebore?

or is it projectile length X ##= freebore etc

thanks…trying to wrap my head around solids.

I’ll have to look into the two to see some comparisons. Thanks.

My likely route, since I can always play with something else later with no issue. First, I still have about 80 or so of the original 255.5 Flatlines I should use up. I could just use them up in the Savage and may still do so, but had figured to finish up that barrel and keep that one for my regular 285s.

I don't see a reason to not use your 255 flatlines in your new Aspis rifle.
You should have more than enough twist rate for them and since they are solids there isn't really much of an issue with overspinning them.
80 rounds should be enough for a basic load workup and then having fun.

Then you can either stick with them or get the heavier Badlands stuff.

Question for you.

there is a lot of voodoo about solids. Why do you suggest much less freeborn?

is there a formula caliber to freebore?
Ex 30 cal X ## = freebore?

or is it projectile length X ##= freebore etc

thanks…trying to wrap my head around solids.
I haven’t found them difficult at all.
The bearings surface is a lot less than a cup/core bullet.
A 285 solid in a normal 338 NM has the bullet with quite minimal bearing surface in the neck.

Reactions: brianf
2800A4EC-B5B9-4E28-9259-1C259DEFAE48.jpeg

Yeah, these 255g are even loaded a bit short, so no mag length here. It doesn’t bother me right now.
1063C297-5F2B-4C94-A77C-9A359426FEDF.jpeg

Not much bearing surface here either, so not surprising that the 26” 1:9 button barrel is marginal.

For me personally, I'm not really concerned as much about the mag feeding for when I'm doing long range stuff with solids, I'll use that more for shooting factory ammo or stuff loaded for closer ranges.

Reactions: Pete B and lash
That’s pretty much how I feel. I have the rounds right next to my hand and load them almost as smoothly as mag fed.

Hi,

The "normal' mono..yes I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense but the sense it makes is crystal clear, lol is not designed to fit magazine length since in the traditional cartridge/rifle setup it does not make a lot of sense to handicap the monos to magazine length and loose some of the MV by taking up more powder column..

BUT..all that said...

Monos can be designed to fit magazine length per xyz cartridge and still retain their high BC numbers.
Pair that with pushing them a little harder in our weapon systems and you can make up and even gain downrange ballistic performance compared to the slower non mag length monos.

300NM with 198gr Seneca at magazine length runs easily at 3200fps.

Testing still in progress per really pushing to see where the balance of primer pocket wear to achievable MV.
For me....I don't really care about primer pocket wear and have no problem treating that brass like the projectile...single use. As long as that single use provides unmatched performance for that cartridge and hopefully 1 "size" up. :)

Sincerely,
Theis

I actually like the availability of mag fed

i like the protection of a magazine.

Also let’s me load a few mags and not fumble with a plastic box that the damn cover keeps closing.

or the box falls over and spent as well as live rounds are all mixed up half in half out of the box…makes me insane lol

Reactions: Slowroll
Hi,

Important interruption on magazine length....

Handle is going to look nice when delrin knob is attached.

The production level product is almost complete machining. Then onto Birdsong for coating and back to us for last round of 2 years worth of full time RDT&E.

We have not operated on a part time basis while working a "day job"; Hoplite Arms and all the RDT&E has been our full time job.
We are getting excited to finally release our systems to the public and we thank you all for your patience and continual understanding of our endeavors.
I have tried to make as much of it open for viewing and discussion as possible.

67298.jpeg
67299.jpeg

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I actually like the availability of mag fed

i like the protection of a magazine.

Also let’s me load a few mags and not fumble with a plastic box that the damn cover keeps closing.

or the box falls over and spent as well as live rounds are all mixed up half in half out of the box…makes me insane lol

Well I was hoping that the bottom of the bearing surface would be clear of the neck/shoulder junction like the 300 Berger in the 338NM at mag length but it isn’t happening with a 265 badlands.

The lines above the neck are approximately the end of freebore.
Left is a 285 at jam in a jimmy sloan spec 338NM
Middle is a 265 at CIP mag length, it clears the junction at 3.83.
Right is a 300NM with a 230 Berger at standard mag length.

B2C19862-AF85-49C8-BC53-4C48DDA933D3.jpeg

i like the straight bolt handle, keeps with the clean/industrial design ethos.

question is that bolt handle strong enough for when i push a little to hard and the case shits the bed

ive been known to use what ever local piece of nature i can find to help open it, branch, boot, rock...with some curses tossed in for good measure

if not ill upgrade my field kit to include a rubber mallet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.