• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 106gr A-tip factory seconds

All loaded up with 30.2gr Varget 0.01" off using KM Arbor and L.E. Wilson inline chamber Micrometer seating die with their optional VLD seating stem..

Length is dead on consistent round to round measuring base to ogive...

Heading to the range here shortly to shoot them in my 28" Bartlein 1-7.5 6BR.

Last edited:
Zero at 100yd... no load development after adjusting for zero...3 shots through same hole at POA..

2866 SD 4.2

Went right to 700yd

Used the 106 TAP AB Custom Curve profile. Called for 4.2 MIL. I dialed and a hair low but shot 3 and they all stacked right on top. Adjusted to 4.3 and perfect elevation...

Zero at 100yd... no load development after adjusting for zero...3 shots through same hole at POA..

2866 SD 4.2

Went right to 700yd

Used the 106 TAP AB Custom Curve profile. Called for 4.2 MIL. I dialed and a hair low but shot 3 and they all stacked right on top. Adjusted to 4.3 and perfect elevation...

What golf course are you shooting at? 😆

You may have just cost me some money.

I'm definitely looking at picking these up. 40 something for 100 isnt a big investment and if i like them and they still have some on hand, i'll get more.

I bought some more of the 90gr .224, adding a box of the 106 A-tip, free shipping for whole order (saved $20)
They did OK with a best guess load @ 600. Going Wednesday to fine tune.

2866 SD 4.2

Went right to 700yd

New Holland?

These things definitely shoot.

My son just stacked 3 on top each other twice on a 6" round and 4" round steel plates @ 600.. 3.3 MIL

Just for giggles, I put your speed and the 6MM DOD bullet in 4DOF. Just guessed at elev. (1100 ft) temp (80 deg.) and humidity (70%) and
with a 3 mph R-L wind, it spit out 3.31 mil @ 600 yds
I'm not trying to infer that 4DOF is better than AB, or vice versa, it just seems it's a little easier for me and my 4 brain cells to use 4DOF.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Just for giggles, I put your speed and the 6MM DOD bullet in 4DOF. Just guessed at elev. (1100 ft) temp (80 deg.) and humidity (70%) and
with a 3 mph R-L wind, it spit out 3.31 mil @ 600 yds
I'm not trying to infer that 4DOF is better than AB, or vice versa, it just seems it's a little easier for me and my 4 brain cells to use 4DOF.

I'm 450 elevation, 85F, 88% humidity...and I don't have my exact bore to scope height in this profile. I just winged it at the range to get on target.

Reactions: kindabitey
Alright here my first 10rd @ 100yd to zero these 106 A-Tips and get velocity..

First 4 shots adjusting zero on bottom. Then bottom 2 shots were 5 and 6 making adjustments.. then 7 was just a tad left.. then the last 3 through the same hole almost. Good enough for me to take to 700.

I then went to 700yd. Quickly built a profile using the 6mm 106 Tap AB Custom curve and dialed the 4.2 MIL it called for. Here the first 3 shots at 700yd. The white X was my POA.. so a tad low...but...those 3 shots measured 1.108" CTC or 0.151 MOA... I'd say these things shoot. I dialed 4.3 mil and picked a different POA and smacked it. I trued my Kestrel with thst adjustment.

I then turned it over to my son and he went to town at 600yd (3.3 MIL) which was spot on.

Had a few small round pieces of steel, a pig and a ram.

He shot 2 groups on the 6" and 4" round steel and stacked them right in there.. I measured one group and it was 1.169" CTC or 0.186 MOA. I was really impressed. He then started calling out nose on the pig, smack. Then he told me he was most impressed with his Ram leg shot. Haha. He called leg on the ram and smacked it. 2" wide and about 6" long..

I'd say these things shoot....no load development either. Just took my 105 hybrid load and use same 0.01 off lands like my 135 A-Tip load in my x47L prefers...

Last edited:
Dude! This is what I was hoping to hear. I’m definitely going to pick up a box of these.

I'd say these things shoot....no load development either. Just took my 105 hybrid load and use same 0.01 off lands like my 135 A-Tip load in my x47L prefers...
Thank you for running the experiment. Looks like they should run great!

Reactions: padom
Unlikely, as they don't catalog any 106 grain 6mm bullets.
The a tips are 110.
They would also be considered expanding bullets, a no-no according to the Hague convention.
😂 they are 106gr. Not 110gr. The bullet is in the Hornady App under 106 DOD.

These cost at discount what you can get Bergers for.

Ever seen Berger 2nds? Wonder why that is?

Hornady Seconds would be like Berger 5ths.

You can buy 6mm Berger Hybrids for $45-50 a box from a bunch of vendors. They are just called something else.
I feel they are included in the boxes you buy. I purchased 5 boxes of 130g hybrids and when i got done sorting I ended up with aroun 400 good ones.
Overall length variations of .030 in twisted tips damaged meplats, you name it, that is for over 50 a box.
I just hope that is a unique experience because it put me off on Berger bullets.
Just my 2 cents.

I feel they are included in the boxes you buy. I purchased 5 boxes of 130g hybrids and when i got done sorting I ended up with aroun 400 good ones.
Overall length variations of .030 in twisted tips damaged meplats, you name it, that is for over 50 a box.
I just hope that is a unique experience because it put me off on Berger bullets.
Just my 2 cents.
That sucks but keep in mind, OAL is not what you are looking for. I talked to Litz about this when I noticed OAL variation on 109 and 130 hybrids as well. He said what matters is the critical dimensions (ogive to BT, and some other measurements). You could always tip the bullets too to fix the meplat, but not everyone wants to go through that.

At the end of the day , how they shoot is all that matters. BC variation and group size is all I care about.

That sucks but keep in mind, OAL is not what you are looking for. I talked to Litz about this when I noticed OAL variation on 109 and 130 hybrids as well. He said what matters is the critical dimensions (ogive to BT, and some other measurements). You could always tip the bullets too to fix the meplat, but not everyone wants to go through that.

At the end of the day , how they shoot is all that matters. BC variation and group size is all I care about.
Oh I understand, I usually seat to base to ogive. They have have gone to measuring to tip lately Brian said it in the Cortina interview ?????
I did try to duplicate a Berger factory 130g load that shoots awesome in my 260 Remington. Under 3in at 500 meters
Could not duplicate the factory load that was consistent to .010 in cartridge OAL, to 2.800 magazine length.
Of course I do not know what powder they used.....never seen that sheen before it was 42.6grain.
Ended up loading 136g Lapua scenars with Vhithavouri, N555 works well enough.

Also, just to have all the data out there. The first 5 bullets I shot were my long COAL mix bin that had 5 bullets in it ranging 1.332-1.335

Everything else I shot today, groups, etc where all 1.325" COAL.....My 500pc are all sorted... not sure if it mattered, but it sure didn't hurt.

Well Fed Ex concluded their investigation. They didn't find it, just concluded it.
Now Powder Valley has to file a claim. I realize it's not PV's fault but damn. They won't just reissue the order so if I want any before they're oos I'll have to order again. Did I mention the price went up $5 per 100 🧂🧂

• Sad
Reactions: DubfromGA
Wonder if Hornady will continue making these, or if once they’re gone… they’re gone.

Would be a shame to buy 500, find a load that shoots, and then not be able to get them anymore.

I got 1000 myself. Along with the regular 106 TAP seconds from Midway. I was able to score 400 of those before they were gone. Seems like they are only available once a year.

Reactions: PRSDietitian
Ordered 200 to try out in a almost shot out dasher. Figured it only has maybe another 500-800 rounds left in it before it gets retired to the garden. If they shoot good, I’ll buy a pile for the next barrel. If not, I’m only out 100 bucks and I’ll continue the everlasting search for 105 hybrids.

Not the 106s, but the BTO lengths of the 135gr I received last week were very consistent. +/- .001" in the vast majority of the samples measured.

I wouldn't hesitate to order any of the A-Tip 2nds. A little discoloration is all I could tell that made them 2nds. Tips and jackets all looked good. I'm considering picking up another 1000.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
I got my other 1000 yesterday. Very consistent length like my first 500... if these are seconds I can't find anything standing out that says why other than discoloration on maybe 4 in 1500.... Weight and length are more consistent then my 500ct box of 105 Hybrids...

Debating buying another 1000 hahahah

Seconds maybe because NOT a commercial product line of Hornady.
Powder Valley might be selling as seconds due to product restrictions of manufacturer.
Bulk packaged, labeled "Not for Resale".
With it being included in the 4DOF app, someone other than PV might be selling them soon.

Seconds maybe because NOT a commercial product line of Hornady.
Powder Valley might be selling as seconds due to product restrictions of manufacturer.
Bulk packaged, labeled "Not for Resale".

EXACTLY what I said earlier on about these and my current thoughts. Selling overruns from a DOD run they did. Not blems.. they sure don't shoot like it.

Does anyone have a true G7 or, and yes I'm being lazy to look through the thread and my Kestrel, are they in AB under a custom curve?

Does anyone have a true G7 or, and yes I'm being lazy to look through the thread and my Kestrel, are they in AB under a custom curve?

They are in 4DOF as Hornady 106 Atip DOD..... They aren't in Kestrel but current guess until further testing is G7 0.283-0.284....

EXACTLY what I said earlier on about these and my current thoughts. Selling overruns from a DOD run they did. Not blems.. they sure don't shoot like it.

They're blems. Blems are a little bit of a gamble. Mileage may vary. Can range from purely cosmetic water marks from wash, tip fit issues, to machine setup bullets, to bullets that didn't meet accuracy/terminal specs. etc.. Mixed bag of all of the above.

Do I shoot them? Absolutely-- go-to for 400yd barricade practice ammo. Do they shoot well? mostly. Are there sporadic fliers? yes, eventually you'll find them. I wouldn't run them for important (expensive) matches, personally, but to each their own.

Reactions: Tokay444
They're blems. Blems are a little bit of a gamble. Mileage may vary. Can range from purely cosmetic water marks from wash, tip fit issues, to machine setup bullets, to bullets that didn't meet accuracy/terminal specs. etc.. Mixed bag of all of the above.

Do I shoot them? Absolutely-- go-to for 400yd barricade practice ammo. Do they shoot well? mostly. Are there sporadic fliers? yes, eventually you'll find them. I wouldn't run them for important (expensive) matches, personally, but to each their own.
If you do ryun them for a match, damn well better sort your bullets haha

Seems that sorted these shoot pretty good.
I went though this thread and posted OAL varied from
1.321" to 1.346". I weighed a few and got 105.8 to 106.5.
Don't have a range of BTO but again, sorted, they do fine.

Last edited:
I want to apologize for not getting the numbers I promised to get all of you guys. Timing to meet up with my buddy didn't work out so well and by the time I got the measurements Padom had already posted his. The numbers I measured matched closely to what he posted. I grabbed 10 or so from his few hundred and they were all within .001" or so with my Hornady comparator to the base. OAL varied, but where it mattered they were consistent.

FedEx dropped packaged yesterday, 1500 106 atip seconds. Sorted 600 by bto. I had approx 2/3 of them fall within 0.575-0.579, maybe 30pcs 0.580-583, then another 1/3 0.584-0.588, kicked out a few outliers that we're really short 0.563-0.567 and 2 were 0.590+ also 8 pcs that we're uniformly dented around tip about 1/3" below the aluminum point. Also a few with loose tips.

I'm done sorting. Going to work up a load with the short bto group, get it shooting 1/3moa or so, then test same load with long bto, and compare, if shooting well, I'll mix serval rounds of all bto sortings and see how they do on the 680y e-target, if it's all at half moa or better at distance, I'm not gonna sort other than kick out the ones with damaged noses. Pic posted of funky noses.
20230825_173455.jpg

FedEx dropped packaged yesterday, 1500 106 atip seconds. Sorted 600 by bto. I had approx 2/3 of them fall within 0.575-0.579, maybe 30pcs 0.580-583, then another 1/3 0.584-0.588, kicked out a few outliers that we're really short 0.563-0.567 and 2 were 0.590+ also 8 pcs that we're uniformly dented around tip about 1/3" below the aluminum point. Also a few with loose tips.

I'm done sorting. Going to work up a load with the short bto group, get it shooting 1/3moa or so, then test same load with long bto, and compare, if shooting well, I'll mix serval rounds of all bto sortings and see how they do on the 680y e-target, if it's all at half moa or better at distance, I'm not gonna sort other than kick out the ones with damaged noses. Pic posted of funky noses.
View attachment 8212789
Didn’t notice any like that. Ill have to keep an eye out when loading.