• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady AMAX VS Sierra Matchking 168GR

SuperXJeff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2008
Oregon
What has your gun liked better? I was thinking about giving them a try. I shoot mostly Sierra's but the A-MAX seems to be a little easier to get these days and a little less cost never hurts either! Jeff

Re: Hornady AMAX VS Sierra Matchking 168GR

The AMAX line of bullets are very accurate. In the 168s the AMAX gives you a little better BC too. Buy a box and give them a try. You should be able to use the same load as the 168 SMK. My 178 AMAX load is the same as the load I used to use with the 175 SMK.

i know a member here that has killed deer w/168amax in excess of 1000yd, intentionally .....

Seated at magazine length the A-max 168s out shoots the Sierras in my FN.
If I seat the SMK on out, they are same-same.. However, The A-max shows
A slightly flatter primer with the same load. YMMV
Tater

I swithched to AMAX this past year in my .308 from SMK. I will not be going back to SMK and I am going to try them in my .223 if the results are the same so long SMK in that also. Plus they are cheaper another big score to me.

Brian

Damn, I was just at Bass Pro and almost picked up a box of the 178 AMAX but I wasn't sure about performance. Guess I'll have to go back and pick some up.

Joe

An A-Max fan here too . . .

Still waiting in much anticipation for the .264" x 130 grainer!

What do you think Rob01?

I've been toughting the Amax's for years. Never bought a box of Match Kings since firing the first Amax.

okie

I tried 168 gr A Max and had tighter groups than using the 168 Sierras. Load was 44.3 Varget,CCI BR primers and Hornady Match Brass.

I am a fan of the SMK's because of the price & the accuracy. With 44.1 gr of Varget & a CCI LR primer out of a 24" tube you can't beat it. Not to be a prude, but I think the A-Max are over rated. Just my .02

Switched to the A-Max years ago. Much better expansion if used as a hunting round. Have had good luck on hogs and deer with just as much accuracy as the SMK. Also shoot the 178 in 300 WSM and the 208 in 300 Ultra with great results.

Give them a try and see if your rifle likes them.

hornady is hard to beat, if they made rocks, i'd shoot them exclusivly out the slingshot....and they're usually a little less $ for near or better results than the smk

I bought a box of 178gr AMAX and am going to the range for the first time with them on thurs. I shoot a stock 700p so I'll check back in with the report, also I am using the same load as my 175 SMK but seated the bullets just about .006 lower because of the ballistic tip. And yeah, the price and availability is RIGHT!

-Taylor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Six Five Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a fan of the SMK's because of the price & the accuracy. With 44.1 gr of Varget & a CCI LR primer out of a 24" tube you can't beat it. Not to be a prude, but I think the A-Max are over rated. Just my .02 </div></div>Y.

Your shooting Matchkings and calling Amax's "over rated"
smile.gif
? SMK's have been the bullet by which all others are judged for years. Fact is, there's quite a few bullets these days that will shoot with them and even surpass them. Dont get me wrong, thier an excellent bullet and I'm sure there are a lot of rifles that prefer them, wouldn't blame anyone for using them. My rifles prefer Amax's. I prefer them because the have better terminal performance and thier cheaper to buy.

okie

Agree with what others are saying.... 178 AMAXs have proven to be just as accurate as 175 Sierra MKs out of my TRG22. I have become a believer!

Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of COAL are you guys using with the 178 Amax's?</div></div>

2.85" here.
I doubt there is any real magic in it across chambers. This does put the O-give length at simular to the 175SMK.

Loading Sierra 175 to 2.800 puts O-give at 2.220
Loading AMAX to 2.880 puts O-Give at 2.251

In ill reference to the tip.....and COAL, 2.85ish is the same O-Give length....if anyone actually cares. I just load for AICS mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never bought a box of Match Kings since firing the first Amax.</div></div>

+1 to that. After trying the amax in 308win (168's and 178's) and the 162's in my 7mmWSM and getting the same results from all of them, I traded most of my extra SMK's.

for my money and just goofing around the 178s amaxs are for me. but for competition purposed i like the 175 smks. they are the same bc but the amaxs cost about 6 bucks less

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of COAL are you guys using with the 178 Amax's?</div></div>

2.85" here.
I doubt there is any real magic in it across chambers. <span style="font-weight: bold">This does put the O-give length at simular to the 175SMK</span>.

Loading Sierra 175 to 2.800 puts O-give at 2.220
Loading AMAX to 2.880 puts O-Give at 2.251

In ill reference to the tip.....and COAL, 2.85ish is the same O-Give length....if anyone actually cares. I just load for AICS mags. </div></div>

Thanks, that's what I'm shooting for, and will be fed from AICS mags. I like my loads to clone FGMM's ogive and speed if possible in case I need to grab off the shelf backup.

I'm switching from 168 to 175 here in the nearish future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What has your gun liked better? I was thinking about giving them a try. I shoot mostly Sierra's but the A-MAX seems to be a little easier to get these days and a little less cost never hurts either! Jeff </div></div>

You also should try the 168gr Nosler CC's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What has your gun liked better? I was thinking about giving them a try. I shoot mostly Sierra's but the A-MAX seems to be a little easier to get these days and a little less cost never hurts either! Jeff </div></div>

You also should try the 168gr Nosler CC's </div></div>

I agree with Boom, I switched to Noslers for my 168 loads and never looked back. The ogive is further forward than the SMK's so you can load closer to the lands with a shorter OAL with them as well.

I don't know about the 168s, but I don't see any difference between the 175 SMK and the 178 A-MAX. Same load, same group, same POI. Not that I'm dropping SMKs, but the A-MAX cost less, and I like being able to switch bullets without changing anything else.

They don't make a 180grn AMAX. They make a few other 180grn hunting bullets but no AMAX. The 178s are my handloading .308 bullet and they work great. I have shot them to 1300 yards and they are accurate.

I have been shooting 42 gr of RE-15 and 168 A-Max's with sub 1/2 MOA results. I have a 1-12 krieger heavy palma.

My question is after talking to some pretty sharp SF guys, they told me that the A-Max's do not perform as well at longer distances than the SMK's. Also 175 is a better choice for long range work.

So have you guys noticed any difference down range between the two?

Can my 1-12" stabalize the 175's? Or should I give the 155's a chance?

Your 12 twist will stabilize the 175's just fine. My LTR is a 12 and it shoots 178 Amax's as good as anything. Havn't bought any 168's in a long time.

okie

Okie, thanks. That is what Krieger recommended to me to shoot, but I have been a .22 cal guy, so 30 cal twists and bullets are taking a while for me to get up to speed.

I just need to wait for the beanfields back home to get combined so I can stretch out to 1000 yards and do my own testing of the A-max at longer ranges.

Amax's double as a pretty good hunting bullet too from what I hear. That may come in handy for you in those beanfields this fall.

These newer 155gr bullets that have come on the market in the past several years do very well in the faster twist barrels also because thier bearing surface is so long, like the heavies. Some guys have switched to them exclusively in thier 30 cals. Might give them a try. I have some loaded up with the 155 A-max's but havn't pulled the trigger on any of them yet.

okie

The 168 amax proforms much better than the sierra in my 308. Three rounds at 100y under.5moa plus, It is more distructive when it hits a amimal.

As much as I'd hate to say it, since I just bought a bunch of FGMM, I bought two boxes of hornady 168 match and it shot better than the FGMM in my 10FP.

hornady makes ridiculous ammo!!

I have bought some 180 grian sst.

1/2" at 100yards and this is hunting ammo.

lets not get started on the V-max!!!!!!!!!!!!! That stuff shoots!

.400" 5 shot groups out of stock RRA Predator Pursuit (60 gr V-max, 25 gr Varget, 2.260)

.22-250 with 50 Gr V-max.....easily 1/2 moa