• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornadys new ELD VT

Hornady site says .266 G7 for the 6.5 ELD-VT.
Ledzep says .226.
Looking at the G1, I think the site is wrong.
.266 would be an astonishing performer if it were real.
That's a typo on the site. I'll yell at marketing next week. 😂
How about a 8 twist? I shoot the 75gr ELDM out of my 1-8 223 with great results.
Should work. We've shot them in a few 8 twists now with good results.
@Ledzep what is the optimal twist for the 80gr .244 bullet? I have a 1-7.5 that I shoot the 87gr V-Max out of and these look like they have a little better BC and I should be able to push them a little faster.
7.5-8 should work fine. I don't think anyone often does anything between 8 and 10 in 6mm but a 10 probably won't work.

Midways had 62gr eld vt. Bought 500 and 200 of the 243 80gr eld vt 2nds.

Are they actually the vt bullets? Why would they sell factory seconds before the real thing is on the shelves

Stole this picture from a group on Facebook
Screenshot_20231128_210155_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: 260284
What makes you think that will be full price? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Larry has them at the same price for the new ones coming soon. Either way I bet they are cheaper everywhere else.

Iv seen enough problems with Hornady that are not seconds!

Well these 62 VT's aren't going to work in a 223 AR unless they like a really long jump.

I got my hopes up when @Ledzep posted .600 ogive length.

Below Left to right are 73 eldm, 62 eldm vt, & 75 eldm. Keep in mind these 62 vt's are seconds but I doubt there .100 out of wack.

The 73's shoot well in my AR's & like to be loaded long at 2.290"

All measured using Hornady 2-22 comparator.
73 eldm oal = 1.036" & BTO = .583" or for AR's it means .453" in front of ogive.
62 VT oal = 1.050" & BTO = .503" so .547" in front of ogive or .105" more jump than a 73 eldm
75 eldm oal = 1.110" & BTO = .557" & .553" in front of ogive.

The 75's don't shoot worth crap in my AR's & also sucked in my Valkyrie so I don't have high hopes.

I'll give these a go first in the 18" 7T Valk with 8208 & a 10.5" 8T 223W with Tac. If they won't shoot in the AR's I'll load some for the 26" bolt gun.

Guessing I can get 3100+ in the Valkyrie & 2750+ in the shorty 223W

IMG_8064.jpg

Reactions: 806guns
Well these 62 VT's aren't going to work in a 223 AR unless they like a really long jump.

I got my hopes up when @Ledzep posted .600 ogive length.

Below Left to right are 73 eldm, 62 eldm vt, & 75 eldm. Keep in mind these 62 vt's are seconds but I doubt there .100 out of wack.

The 73's shoot well in my AR's & like to be loaded long at 2.290"

All measured using Hornady 2-22 comparator.
73 eldm oal = 1.036" & BTO = .583" or for AR's it means .453" in front of ogive.
62 VT oal = 1.050" & BTO = .503" so .547" in front of ogive or .105" more jump than a 73 eldm
75 eldm oal = 1.110" & BTO = .557" & .553" in front of ogive.

The 75's don't shoot worth crap in my AR's & also sucked in my Valkyrie so I don't have high hopes.

I'll give these a go first in the 18" 7T Valk with 8208 & a 10.5" 8T 223W with Tac. If they won't shoot in the AR's I'll load some for the 26" bolt gun.

Guessing I can get 3100+ in the Valkyrie & 2750+ in the shorty 223W

View attachment 8287858
The 75 eld-m are about my most accurate 223 Rem load out of my Desert Tech. I load at 2.525 with either 23.5 XBR or 24.5 Varget. They’re very sensitive to depth and need a chamber with lots of freebore.
I have a feeling the 62 VT are going to be similar.

Reactions: bar_n and 357Max
The 75 eld-m are about my most accurate 223 Rem load out of my Desert Tech. I load at 2.525 with either 23.5 XBR or 24.5 Varget. They’re very sensitive to depth and need a chamber with lots of freebore.
I have a feeling the 62 VT are going to be similar.
How much jump is that in your DT?

How much jump is that in your DT?
approx 15-20 thou. Anything over 40thou with the 75 the accuracy would noticeably degrade from 3/8-1/2 moa to 1+ moa. Same thing with the 80 ELD-M, very picky on seating depth. They also need to run very hot which probably would be too hot for gassers max bolt pressure.
The SMK 80 and Lapua 77gr on the other hand, no issues with various seating depth and powder charge. SMK 80 was my favorite load inside of 500-600 yards but past that, in higher wind, the 75 eld-m would catch up and hold up better.

Last edited:
Reactions: bar_n
approx 15-20 thou. Anything over 40thou with the 75 the accuracy would noticeably degrade from 3/8-1/2 moa to 1+ moa. Same thing with the 80 ELD-M, very picky on seating depth.
The SMK 80 and Lapua 77gr on the other hand, no issues with various seating depth and powder charge. SMK 80 was my favorite load inside of 500-600 yards but past that, in higher wind, the 75 eld-m would catch up and hold up better.
Thanks. 77RDF's have been surprisingly insensitive to seating depth for me. They give up just a little BC to the 75eldm. I'll give the 75's another try in the bolt gun along with these 62 VT's

Why start off on a mediocre foot with a hamstrung cartridge when you can introduce a better version in your new cartridge? Odds are they tried it and due to the COAL limitations the results weren’t much better than the current .223 offerings so they shelved it and introduce the 62gr instead for a much better initial offering.

I personally am looking forward to hammering these out of an 18” .22-250 and an 18” 6.5 Creedmoor.
I’m definitely no expert, but I’m more curious of the length of the bullet (ogive). If it would seat properly in a 22-250 case and still have a jump to the lands, I don’t see why you would need a 1:7 to stabilize it. My 1:10 will stabilize a 62gr projectile

I’m definitely no expert, but I’m more curious of the length of the bullet (ogive). If it would seat properly in a 22-250 case and still have a jump to the lands, I don’t see why you would need a 1:7 to stabilize it. My 1:10 will stabilize a 62gr projectile
Length matters more than weight with stabilization and twist rates.

I'll let you know! At 3600fps +, I'm guessing it will kill them very dead......

I have a spare 8t barrel under my bench that is begging for some of these. I'm currently shooting 64tgk's out of a 10t on coyotes but it's very hard to judge wind at night and it's eating my lunch past 400yds unless it's dead calm.

I've tried the 75 eld-m but I didn't get the expansion I wanted. I was originally disappointed when I saw the new VT was "only" 62gn. But after watching the podcast, I understand why it's light and I can't wait to get my hands on some!

Congratulations Hornady, this is exactly what a lot of people have been needing for longer range predator hunting!
I wonder if at 3500 to 3550 ish a 9 twist would do it

I wonder if at 3500 to 3550 ish a 9 twist would do it
Not sure.

They're fine in my 22" 8t Creed and they ran almost the identical speed as the 64TGKs. I got them over 3750fps but it was showing minor pressure signs. I picked a load at 3610fps and they're shooting about ½-¾ moa @600yds. The .199 BC was also pretty close out to 800yds.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to see how much damage they'll do to a coyote yet which is what I'm really looking forward to.

This is one of the more monumental F-ups in gun world history. Utterly stupid if you ask me.

If you don't have a 1:7 or so twist on your bolt action it won't work either.

This bullet was designed for use with the 22 ARC and other short, fat, more modern cartridges. Not a .223 Rem feeding from an AR mag.
I'd like to get the dimensions of the 62 gr. If it mirrors the 75 ELDM then we could use the AR15 with the mods mentioned by TonyTheTiger.
Can you link me to these mods please? I can’t find it.

I need to try these in my .22BR. I’ve no idea why, I just need to!😂

So are these bullets designed to withstand higher RPMs than the ELDm & A-tip?

If not, then how can you run them fast enough to take advantage of the higher BC in a lighter bullet.

Hornady told me not to exceed 280K RPMs with the 90gr A-tip. That rained on my plans for a 22GT @ 3150.

This bullet was designed for use with the 22 ARC and other short, fat, more modern cartridges. Not a .223 Rem feeding from an AR mag.

Can you link me to these mods please? I can’t find it.
Here ya go. I only did the magazine so far. My preban Bushmaster lower can run 2.380" COAL with the 75 gr ELDM.

So are these bullets designed to withstand higher RPMs than the ELDm & A-tip?

If not, then how can you run them fast enough to take advantage of the higher BC in a lighter bullet.

Hornady told me not to exceed 280K RPMs with the 90gr A-tip. That rained on my plans for a 22GT @ 3150.
Some of these cartridges/ bullets are starting to become contradictions. I live at 7000ft asl and use 1:8 and 1:7.7". Those twists still limit .224 bullets to 3200 if you're trying to stay under 300K RPMs.

Here ya go. I only did the magazine so far. My preban Bushmaster lower can run 2.380" COAL with the 75 gr ELDM.

Thank you!

I’m going to pick up a Ruger American Gen 2 when they come out. I think I’ll just go with 22 ARC. If availability on that model is an issue, I can get a .223 Rem and switch to a stock that accepts long COAL AI-pattern mags.

Last edited:
Reactions: xsn10s
I was praying for a Howa Mini .22Arc. Now Ruger is supposedly chambering the gen II ‘Muricans for both 6mm & .22 Arc.
The Ruger will be the backup plan in case Howa screws around too long!!!!

I was praying for a Howa Mini .22Arc. Now Ruger is supposedly chambering the gen II ‘Muricans for both 6mm & .22 Arc.
The Ruger will be the backup plan in case Howa screws around too long!!!!
Yeah, I love the idea of a Howa, but I’m gonna go with the Ruger because I’ve heard the Howa Mini magazines and bottom metal are both cheap and flimsy. I’d strongly prefer an AR mag.

I may pick up a Howa Short Action in .308 or 6.5CM because the hinged floorplate bottom metal seems much nicer than the DBM setup on their Minis.

Check out Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal and let your heart be healed! Looking at the BDL version myself.

That said, if you must have AR or AI pattern mags, the Ruger would be the current way to go.

Check out Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal and let your heart be healed! Looking at the BDL version myself.

That said, if you must have AR or AI pattern mags, the Ruger would be the current way to go.
Yeah, I definitely considered their replacements. I just tend to avoid buying rifles that I know I’m going to want to upgrade parts on straight out of the box.

I also like that the Ruger has an adjustable/swappable cheek rest. I’m picky about my scope placement, and that should eliminate a real pain point for me. I’m probably going to end up with a .223, but am very happy to see the ARCs in the lineup!

80gr vt seconds 6mm arc 20" 1.75 proof stainless barrel. Lever powder loaded to mag length avg of 2915 fps with new starline brass. Five shots. Also shot this out of my 16" 1:10 twist 6mm arc with similar results.
Screenshot_20231217_202814_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231219_142721_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
Thank you!

I’m going to pick up a Ruger American Gen 2 when they come out. I think I’ll just go with 22 ARC. If availability on that model is an issue, I can get a .223 Rem and switch to a stock that accepts long COAL AI-pattern mags.
Yup even Boyd has a stock and bottom metal for AICS with the Ruger American.

Fur friendly. 🤣🤣🤣 How many rounds down the barrel that didn't blow any up yet? 🤣🤣🤣

Who's blank and what twist?

Can anyone confirm minimum recommended twist rate on the 174gr 308? Doesn't show on the bullet listing to me? Have a 1:12 26 inch barrel going onto an action that will be primarily used for sporter/F-TR at F class matches to 900 yards, guessing these may be marginal but it doesn't get cold here and there is usually reasonable humidity, nearly always shoot after midday so far as temperature goes too.

Screenshot_20231220_134012_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked OAL out of my old AR VLD magazine (2.450") and it's gonna be seated perfectly. Can't wait to snipe some coyotes with it out of my 16" WOA-barrelled AR pistol.

Reactions: Farmerbrown32