• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornadys new ELD VT

Finally was able to buy enough of these for a proper prairie dog shoot. Looking forward to using these, was a die hard 75 eldm shooter, but these are very appealing.

10 shot at .8” and 3k out of an 18” 223. I can see shooting a lot of these

Finally was able to buy enough of these for a proper prairie dog shoot. Looking forward to using these, was a die hard 75 eldm shooter, but these are very appealing.

10 shot at .8” and 3k out of an 18” 223. I can see shooting a lot of these

Bolt or gas? What powder?

Where are people getting the 62s? I have notifications set up on a few sites (Midway, Brownells, Grafs, etc), but have only got one email from Midway where I was apparently too slow.
Also, has anyone seen any of the VTs for other calibers in the wild? Seems like they're focusing on loaded ammo (which makes sense), with limited 62s slipping out now and then.

Anyone have any ideas on a starting load for varget 62eldvt in an 8 twist 22CM? Right now shooting 69SMKs over 39.2gn of varget.

I just shot a bunch of 62 eld-vt today in 22 cm 20” barrel 8 twist. With varget I Started at 39 and worked up to 42 with no pressure. 39gr was about 3400fps and 42gr was 3678. They were all 3 shots. Shot really good at 39 and even better at 41.5-42. It didn’t shoot worth of shit from 39.5-40.5. The rest were 1/2” or less. The last two shots I took were loaded with 44.5 gr of n555 and were right at 3400fps.
Alpha srp brass cci br4

Last edited:
Went from 42-42.5 with varget later yesterday still no pressure and was at 3725fps with 42.5. Shot the best from 42-42.3.

Reactions: mjspeers
Went from 42-42.5 with varget later yesterday still no pressure and was at 3725fps with 42.5. Shot the best from 42-42.3.
What was accuracy like? What coal? I just roughly went boattail to neck/shoulder junction. Far from the lands in my barrel.

I loaded them about 15 off at 2.130” in a .120 freebore barrel. That is base to ogive. The 42 and 42.3 were about 1/2” and each had one bullet not touching the others. First shot on both groups. Biggest group from 39-42.5 was probably 1-1.5”

There is an older version in the library, Proto V2 (Proto V6 is the 80gr 6mm), which is a little bit longer than the final production bullet so any stability calcs done with that bullet will be conservative. The Proto V6 was a similar situation and is shorter in the production bullet.
Sorry to hear you had to dial back the length, the sleekness. Was this because of center of pressure and stability concerns? And how many BC points would you guess you gave up by losing a "better" form factor. (I put "better" in quotes cuz if there's any wobble from lack of stability you're gonna lose BC even if it's sleeker.)

Sorry to hear you had to dial back the length, the sleekness. Was this because of center of pressure and stability concerns? And how many BC points would you guess you gave up by losing a "better" form factor. (I put "better" in quotes cuz if there's any wobble from lack of stability you're gonna lose BC even if it's sleeker.)

Drag/BC change was pretty negligible assuming proper stabilization. Turns out bearing surface (where I cut the length from) doesn't count much for drag.

it got them viable in a step slower twist rate and saved case capacity for the little ARC/Grendel's. Win/win

@Ledzep

Because you seem to be in the know, and I don’t know how, would it be possible for you to run a stability for the 62 eldvt out of an 8 twist at 2950 in say sub 1000ft density altitude?

I had one errant round on my 10 shot test group, looks like I went off path and entered paper at an angle, 2” off the remaining decent 9 rounds.
What did you start with as far as the load. I just grabbed some of these and ready to play with them in 223.

What did you start with as far as the load. I just grabbed some of these and ready to play with them in 223.
Benchmark I worked up from 23.5-25. I’m going to load at 24.5 but saw no pressure signs.

Xbr I work up from 23 and couldn’t hit pressure and loaded at 24.

Varget I couldn’t get enough powder in the case to make velocity I wanted. (3k)

This is all in adi brass with a fed 205AR.

62s going 3050fps out of an 18” 223, at comfortable pressure with benchmark. Can’t wait to shoot some varmints.
Bolt gun or AR? I have both with 1-8" barrels and am thinking this will be a better option than the 53gr V-Max if it will work at AR mag length. If not, I can go out to 2.5" in the bolt gun.

Bolt gun or AR? I have both with 1-8" barrels and am thinking this will be a better option than the 53gr V-Max if it will work at AR mag length. If not, I can go out to 2.5" in the bolt gun.
Bolt. Shortest you’re going to get is around 2.38” coal on these in a 223 case.

They are shooting awesome, I’ll be shooting a lot of these

Mail lady just delivered some of the 62’s and an aftermarket mag for my Tikka. I can load it longer now. Hoping these shoot decent in mine also.
Mines a proof steel barrel chambered by LRI, but freebore on a factory tikka should be about right. I’ll be testing some of these in my dads factory tikka here soon as well.

They shoot good. Went and tested stability a little farther out. This is 13 rounds at 400 yards, target is 6”. Average with 24.5 of benchmark was 3040, not close at all to pressure, baked a hand full of rounds in the sun for a while, benchmark seems to be a good powder.
IMG_0464.jpeg

Mail lady just delivered some of the 62’s and an aftermarket mag for my Tikka. I can load it longer now. Hoping these shoot decent in mine also.
My bolt gun is a Tikka Varmint and I get 3025 fps with the 75gr ELDM and H4895 loaded to 2.49" using a MDT AICS magazine. These should shoot pretty good out of the factory barrel.

Why start off on a mediocre foot with a hamstrung cartridge when you can introduce a better version in your new cartridge? Odds are they tried it and due to the COAL limitations the results weren’t much better than the current .223 offerings so they shelved it and introduce the 62gr instead for a much better initial offering.

I personally am looking forward to hammering these out of an 18” .22-250 and an 18” 6.5 Creedmoor.
Have you tried these in 22-250 yet? Wanting to try them in my bolt gun 22-250. But I have a 10”twist. Prefit barrel soon will be an 8 twist.

Have you tried these in 22-250 yet? Wanting to try them in my bolt gun 22-250. But I have a 10”twist. Prefit barrel soon will be an 8 twist.

Haven’t gotten ahold of any yet as I keep missing the releases. It’s getting towards the end of my shooting season so I probably won’t get a chance to work on them until later this year.

I tried one load of the 62 grain eld vt in my 22-250 tikka. Got about 3350 fps with a middle of the road charge of superformance. They will work for my intended every day coyote rifle.

Reactions: ConnaB99
I tried one load of the 62 grain eld vt in my 22-250 tikka. Got about 3350 fps with a middle of the road charge of superformance. They will work for my intended every day coyote rifle.
Awesome. What’s the twist rate in your tikka. And what kinda groups you get? I plan to load em over varget

I have a 1:8 twist. Overall group was under 1 inch. That was at 101 yards off a bipod with a 1-6X lpvo. Most all loads with 75 grain bullets were under 1 inch. The 55 grn factory loads didn't print under 1 inch. I have Varget and a jug of Superformance that I bought for a 22 Creedmoor but it Superformance didn't work as well as other powders did. Glad to have something that I can use the Superformance in.

Reactions: ConnaB99
I have a 1:8 twist. Overall group was under 1 inch. That was at 101 yards off a bipod with a 1-6X lpvo. Most all loads with 75 grain bullets were under 1 inch. The 55 grn factory loads didn't print under 1 inch. I have Varget and a jug of Superformance that I bought for a 22 Creedmoor but it Superformance didn't work as well as other powders did. Glad to have something that I can use the Superformance in.
Awesome! My 250 is a 10 twist. I’m hoping they’ll still shoot

Awesome! My 250 is a 10 twist. I’m hoping they’ll still shoot
They will not work well at all in that 10.

I ran them for a short time in a 22creed 9 twist they did well for about 100 rounds and then never could get them to go again. Will try again with an 8 twist. Have heard similar issues

They will not work well at all in that 10.

I ran them for a short time in a 22creed 9 twist they did well for about 100 rounds and then never could get them to go again. Will try again with an 8 twist. Have heard similar issues
I guess I will find out. I found this from another site saying minimum 1-10” twist for 22-250. There’s only one way to find out

Attachments

• 82A60E1E-B16A-48B7-9407-8DC4C3A7CAAE.jpeg
    82A60E1E-B16A-48B7-9407-8DC4C3A7CAAE.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39
Saw some of the factory 6.5 creedmoor ammo shot this last week. 3200fps, 6 creed level recoil, shot lights out.

Hornady is going to sell a shit load of these bullets.

I appreciate the innovation and outside of the norm thinking.

@Ledzep any info on the 174's being run in a 300 PRC / Norma?

We shot a bunch of them in 300 PRC for drag data and a little bit of heat testing and never had a failure. They murder our big ordnance gel blocks so should be pretty impressive on small/medium game (don't shoot deer with this combo.. lol.. you're going to waste most of the meat). Believe we were getting 3275-3300fps with the MRADs (26" pipe) and RL-26. Kinda standing on it though, definitely work up for your rifle. We just wanted them fast as possible for drag data.

I'm not going to make any guarantees (I can test it to the fullest extent with the gear I have but there are thousands and thousands of people out there and they'll find a worse barrel or worse conditions than what I have in no time I'm sure) that fast of twist rate but I will say I spent a full day trying to blow them up in a PRC barrel that is known for being rough on bullets (blows up Bergers, Sierras, ELD-M's, etc...) and ran them at 3750fps and got the barrel so hot I couldn't touch it for 25-30 minutes afterwards and never had a problem... Other than the dings it put in our 300m AR-500.

Thanks, the quote above was for a 22 Creed then or what cartridge? I'm hoping for 3000-3100 fps with the 225 ELD M out of my 27" 300 NM so 3300 should be fairly reasonable?

Just picked some of these up in 6.5 creed. Anyone know the bullet length of the 6.5 100g? Search Fu not working.

Thanks in advance.

Any chance factory loadings of these bullets make it to the 6.5 PRC or maybe a 25 cal cartridge? Would love to see a factory 134 ELD M loading too... I'd probably sell my 6 CM for a 25 PRC :love:

Any chance factory loadings of these bullets make it to the 6.5 PRC or maybe a 25 cal cartridge? Would love to see a factory 134 ELD M loading too... I'd probably sell my 6 CM for a 25 PRC :love:

I think both things (.25 cal cartridge and 100gr Vmatch 6.5 PRC) would be cool but those calls are made over my head.

I played with 25 PRC and I doubt it goes anywhere as a commercial option. I just don't see us going more over-bore than 6.5 PRC. In the two barrels I chambered accuracy was erratic for me. Granted they were carbon wrapped, but it was two different brands' barrels, same story.

100gr VT's in 6.5 PRC... Wouldn't hold my breath but that one has a better chance to be a possibility. Again though, just me talking and I don't call the shots.

I think both things (.25 cal cartridge and 100gr Vmatch 6.5 PRC) would be cool but those calls are made over my head.

I played with 25 PRC and I doubt it goes anywhere as a commercial option. I just don't see us going more over-bore than 6.5 PRC. In the two barrels I chambered accuracy was erratic for me. Granted they were carbon wrapped, but it was two different brands' barrels, same story.

100gr VT's in 6.5 PRC... Wouldn't hold my breath but that one has a better chance to be a possibility. Again though, just me talking and I don't call the shots.

I intend to try it later this year, I’m running the 143 ELD-X at 2800 fps in an 18” barrel for deer and plan on dual loading the 100gr for the rest of the year when deer aren’t in season.

Reactions: Ledzep
When I was testing it in our rifles the 100gr shot great in the 6.5 PRC, but it did ding up our 300yd steel o_O

What kind of speed could you get over the 143? Trying to get a realistic ballpark.

I hear you, and the step down to 25 cal from 6.5 really isn’t much, but you can get into heavier bullets with the 6.5 which is nice (and tons of bullets around). I’m no expert on overbore, but interesting to hear 25 PRC would be more than what you’d do from the factory. I guess I just like the idea of a quarter bore but a 6.5 with some extra horsepower could probably scratch that itch!

The 6.5 is a very versatile caliber; I know you were pushing the 80’s hard in the PRC, but what would be a reasonable velocity for the 80’s out of a 26” 6.5 PRC?

It’d definitely be a niche market, but I’d buy a box of 85-87 grain, .257 ELD-VT’s that’d spin in a 1:10” today.

G1 could be around .4-.45, 3,400 out of my .25-06. Would simply leave a smoking hole in the ground where a coyote once stood. Should shoot “close enough for Tennessee” with a rifle zero’ed with 100 grain deer loads.

90 grain Blitzkings are unobtainium. 85 grain ballistic tips shoot great, but they’re hard. Both have an easily beatable BC with ELD-VT technology.

It would own that small market…….