• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing How do I dimple my barrel for set screw gas block installation?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
I just received my Paladin Machine adjustable gas block for my Mega Maten build. I'll be installing this gas block on a .936" 24" Lilja .260 Remington chambered barrel. The gas block area has a flat shelf machined into the bottom of the barrel. Anyone have any tips on how to dimple that flat area to capture the two set screws on the gas block?

Just researched the same topic. Basically you are going to mount the gas block and tighten the set screws enough to mar the barrel. Remove gas block, centerpunch the location on barrel the set screws mount, and use a 1/4" bit to dimple the barrel. If you can't see where the gas block screws contact the barrel it was suggested to use a sharpie on the mounting surface. Evidently the set screw location shows up better. I believe this was on a SS barrel though.

Hope this helps.

Just researched the same topic. Basically you are going to mount the gas block and tighten the set screws enough to mar the barrel. Remove gas block, centerpunch the location on barrel the set screws mount, and use a 1/4" bit to dimple the barrel. If you can't see where the gas block screws contact the barrel it was suggested to use a sharpie on the mounting surface. Evidently the set screw location shows up better. I believe this was on a SS barrel though.

Hope this helps.
Thanks this was very helpful.