• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do I stop pick and pluck rifle cases from falling apart?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
I picked up a Plano hard case today that has the little pick and pluck foam inside. Quick and easy and should keep the rifle secure for my needs. Long term the little pluck squares will fall out and get torn so I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations to stop this? I saw videos online like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLm4MNgX4lU

Seems legit, I just worry about the plastidip holding onto dirt/dust so I was looking for other ideas or things that people have done. I considered getting my case laid out how I wanted it then gettting some spray adhesive and some heavy duty fabric from walmart and gluing the fabric to the top and bottom layer then trimming it to fit my foam but was just curious if there were any other ideas or success stories.

Thanks all.

I used Kaizen foam after getting tired of the foam in my pelican. You can get sheets for $12 or so, holds more secure, and doesn't fray/pill.

Once you have your shapes "plucked out", remove the foam insert from the case and spray the whole thing with Plastidip. You can buy the aerosol cans of it from Home Depot for about $5/each. I haven't personally done this to my cases yet, but I have a number of close friends who have done it with excellent results.

There are a number of YouTube videos and forum write-ups on the process if you want to see the end results or the process. I highly recommend it, though.

Reactions: Aftermath
If you have a Pelican Storm iM3300 case I have a line on (new) M24 inserts for $60 each (plus shipping/tax depending on where you are).

Pick-n-pluck sucks in my opinion.... Dealt with it for camera gear (ONCE) and will never again.

Or get a chunk of solid foam that fits, trace your stuff and get a duct knife at home depot for $20 and carve it out. Or go high-tech and use an electric knife. That's what the military does.

Plasti Dip definitely helps to keep it together and looking nice. I did it on one of my Plano cases and really liked the results.

Reactions: hacabrera071
Thanks guys I have ended up plastidipping it and so far so good. IMHO the black dip even looks better than the darkish gray foam it was originally.

take out the foam, toss your soft case in the hard case, then when you get to where you are going you don't have to deal with hauling around a hard case (saw it on james yeager's channel)

Glue the Pick-N-Pluck section to the bottom foam, carefully spray the top of pluck section with aerosol glue, apply speaker box carpet or other fabric, let dry, cut shapes out.

How 'bout sending Plano a letter and asking them for their solution to their problem. Is this a warrantee issue?

Customers really shouldn't be needing to fix this on their own. Nice try, Plano, but it's actually a bad idea if this is the outcome.

Greg

it is a good idea to seal the cheap pluck foam, or ideally avoid open cell foam that will retain moisture altogether.
if you must use it, using desiccant packets might be a good idea to be safe.

if you're just putting guns into a case for travel to the range, this is not a big deal.
imho, sealing your guns in a case with "a sponge" is not my idea of good long term protection.

Last edited:
it is a good idea to seal the cheap pluck foam, or ideally avoid open cell foam that will retain moisture altogether.
if you must use it, using desiccant packets might be a good idea to be safe.

if you're just putting guns into a case for travel to the range, this is not a big deal.
imho, sealing your guns in a case with "a sponge" is not my idea of good long term protection.

Completely agree! I only use close cell foam on my cases! I used open cell on the first case I had, I then have to plastidip it and then I found close cell foam.... I never went back to open cell foam lol!!!