• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How do you make a CZ 455 better?

Loke

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2014
I recently acquired a CZ 455 in 22LR. I am exploring options for making it shoot more consistently. I am pleased with its accuracy so far, but am always looking to improve. I am researching trigger improvements, like the YoDave, Timney, Rifle Basics, or DIP. Also thinking about glass bedding, but there doesn't look like there is a lot of area for bedding the action. I am not planning to replace the stock, or change the barrel. Mine is the varmint model with the bull barrel. Thanks in advance for your input and experience.

Depends what you define as 'better'.
Stock
Trigger guard
Bolt handle
Jewel bolt or Cerakote/Microslick action+bolt+rifle
Trigger
Scope base/mount
Lilja Barrel
Bedded

try Rimfire Central you might get some advise,tips over there

Accuracy gear mods include:

Trigger, many different ways to go about this. You have aftermarket options or you can modify the stock trigger. I have yet to see a stock trigger that can't be made nice. New model 455's (ones I've been doing) have 0 creep so a simple spring swap and polish work is all that's needed.

Stock, pillar bedding and glass bedding is essential to extracting max accuracy out of a 455. I have never seen a perfectly inletted 455 stock and have done many factory, boyds, manners, and a couple custom stocks.

Bolt, polishing the striker in key places will help reduce lock times and changing the spring will help even more. Some springs are a wee bit too long but that's another subject.

Barrel, lilja is a nice upgrade here but if the factory barrel is what you wanna stay with, you can recut a perfect concentric crown to play it safe.

Ammo, best accuracy comes from the good stuff! Shoot cheap ammo and your groups will open up!

justin amateur;32205words spend : Spend Money[/QUOTE said:
Justin you missed counted 4 words
Spend Lots Of Money
i know because i have . Just ask me, shit will tell ya ($1400.00)
An still want out shoot my annie.
But think it was fun trying. I think LOL
YO

Ok lets just straight up say no 455 will outshoot an Annie
Annies are the bomb
Annies are the last gun you will ever need .....EVER not even a centerfire is better than an Annie
Ok now that's out of the way ......Oh wait CZ's wont outshoot Sako quads either
Ok again lets see
get a yodave kit ...I got my 455 down to a crisp 1.5lb ....good enough for target shooting
there are some here who have beaded and pillered the stock wooden stocks and had good results
you could get a Liaja (spelling) barrel and that will help out greatly
bottom metal I think personally is just for looks but hey if you have the money
good scope and base is a must
I think that's it
under normal non-windy conditions my 455PT with a manners stock, bipod and rear bag shoots 1 to 1.5 consistently with SKsp ammo
not sure how the much vaulted Annie will do but that's good enough for me

Loke said:
I am exploring options for making it shoot more consistently.

OP, what are your expectations?

Sounds like you are on the right track with the basics
1)A nice light trigger will little to no creep will help with that.
2)Having a nice solid platform with bedding and possibly pillars will also help with consistent torque values as compression and misalignment is essentially eliminated.
3)Trigger time and shooting skills (form and reading conditions are key) are often overlooked in the equation. The indian is a huge factor when you are talking "consistent" shooting.

I have my CZ 455 set up to shoot benchrest for score with sights,at 50 yards and mainly 100 yards,,it will hold X`s with most any ammo at 50 but at 100 requires some high end ammo,

100 yard targets

Last edited:
CZ Mods

Oh wait CZ's wont outshoot Sako quads either
Ok again lets see
get a yodave kit ...I got my 455 down to a crisp 1.5lb ....good enough for target shooting
there are some here who have beaded and pillered the stock wooden stocks and had good results
I think that's it
under normal non-windy conditions my 455PT with a manners stock, bipod and rear bag shoots 1 to 1.5 consistently with SKsp ammo

MrBig Very nice groups for a peep sight gun. I am impressed.

USMCChet9295 - You said that your CZ455 after all those mods shoots 1-1.5. Did you mean 1" to 1.5" five shot groups at 100yds? or something else? (200yds?) Just trying to understand the accuracy potential of the modified weapon. Did you post any tgts in the 6x5 (30rd) challenge? I looked but maybe I missed it or BM11 has not updated the results lately.

For reference - My stock Remington shot a 100yd TQ-4 tgt last month putting all 25 shots in the 10ring scoring 250 pts 19x and the 25 shot group measured 1.403" at 100yds. Trigger is stock, bbl is stock, stock is not bedded. In fact no particular care was made to even torque the action screws, I just snugged them down. My stock Mod 52 averaged at 100yds:

Average = 0.939" / 0.897 MOA
Best Grp = 0.631" / 0.603 MOA
Rifle: Win Mod 52 Carbine, Pre-A speedlock
Optic: 6-24x 40mm
Ammo: Eley Blk
Conditions: 79 deg F, winds 3-5 mph variable

And it is the older Pre-A model and is hardly the best of the mod 52's. The scope on the mod 52 is a $65 el cheapo model. Not exactly BR quality. My point is that while both are great shooting rifles, they are old, well used and not modified and neither say Anschutz on the side. I would have thought the stock CZ could shoot that well also. The ones I have seen shot pretty darn well. Just wondering if your experience has been different?

Irish

MrBig Very nice groups for a peep sight gun. I am impressed.

USMCChet9295 - You said that your CZ455 after all those mods shoots 1-1.5. Did you mean 1" to 1.5" five shot groups at 100yds? or something else? (200yds?) Just trying to understand the accuracy potential of the modified weapon. Did you post any tgts in the 6x5 (30rd) challenge? I looked but maybe I missed it or BM11 has not updated the results lately.

For reference - My stock Remington shot a 100yd TQ-4 tgt last month putting all 25 shots in the 10ring scoring 250 pts 19x and the 25 shot group measured 1.403" at 100yds. Trigger is stock, bbl is stock, stock is not bedded. In fact no particular care was made to even torque the action screws, I just snugged them down. My stock Mod 52 averaged at 100yds:

Average = 0.939" / 0.897 MOA
Best Grp = 0.631" / 0.603 MOA
Rifle: Win Mod 52 Carbine, Pre-A speedlock
Optic: 6-24x 40mm
Ammo: Eley Blk
Conditions: 79 deg F, winds 3-5 mph variable

And it is the older Pre-A model and is hardly the best of the mod 52's. The scope on the mod 52 is a $65 el cheapo model. Not exactly BR quality. My point is that while both are great shooting rifles, they are old, well used and not modified and neither say Anschutz on the side. I would have thought the stock CZ could shoot that well also. The ones I have seen shot pretty darn well. Just wondering if your experience has been different?

Irish

Irish yes I meant 1 to 1.5 at 100 yards/meters whatever it is at my local range
did I post targets at the 30 yard challenge no I did not. If you search my posts you will see examples of what my CZ can do at various ranges.
now in my way I was trying to point out most people cannot afford to drop 1100 to 1600 at once on a Annie and while 40x's are great they are hard to find in good shape and limited by their single shot configuration
I got my CZ because I could afford to do what I wanted to do with it at or around my price point (1500.00 USD for rifle, scope, base, yodave trigger, previously owned parts, etc.) which I could not do if I got a Annie
comparing a Annie to a CZ is like comparing a Ferarri to a Chevy Camaro. Now most of us can afford a Camaro and fix it up over time but if we were to want a Ferarri we would never be able to afford it.
I shoot 2-gun and I invested in a JPNC22 upper. Its expensive and pretty much designed for 2-gunning in mind. If someone wanted a good 22 AR but is only going to shoot it at the range for plinking but wants quality I wouldn't suggest a JP but may suggest a CCMG or DMPS which are quality guns but more reasonably priced so and ones you can fix up to be reasonable shooters. CZ makes a reasonable shooter that will work well for most and can over time be made, at a cost, to be a great shooter. Is it a Annie......No but my rifle shoots damned good and still costs less and was fun to put together too.

You may try other brands of ammo and I like Remington 100 round yellow box of target .22's.

Annies are the bomb
Annies are the last gun you will ever need .....EVER not even a centerfire is better than an Annie
Ok now that's out of the way ......Oh wait CZ's wont outshoot Sako quads either
Ok again lets see
I think that's it

i think you missed my point.
i do indeed like my sons CZ 455.
we have put alot of mods an time into it, an so far pretty happy.
just have not found the ammo it likes yet.still working on that.

my point (if you have read some of my past post)
the 455 we have close to $1400.00 in it
my MPR i picked up used for $750.00
if i weigh in just the cost along of both rifle's, i hope you see my point,
yes the CZ is super cool, but at some point when is $ enuff.
all this said for a reason
stop spending money if all you need is a trainer,
because like you said they will never out shoot a annie, sako, win52,rem40x
dont take this wrong we had a great father an son time building his CZ
but when he wants to shoot groups he grabs the annie.

What do you have done to your 455!? Full builds I've done with Lilja's usually cost me no more than $900 including the rifle I'm starting with.

What do you have done to your 455!? Full builds I've done with Lilja's usually cost me no more than $900 including the rifle I'm starting with.

DJ. we went all out, thats what i meant buy enuff is anuff

cz455 pt $850.00
lilja barrel $395.00 (did not get in on group buy)
rifle basix trigger $90.00
M5 trigger guard $85.00
tac knob $70.00
GK coated $100.00
20MOA scope base $45.00

now add scope/rings $400.00

now yes you can do it cheaper (wish i had)
but i picked up the cz455 pt because it was a 22mag, the only one i have seen
an some of my mods were personal adders,
like i said if looking for a trainer dont go down the road i did, (find a cheaper way)

ps i did not add the cost of shortbus fine paint job
i hope you get my point here yes there is a better way, an we did a little at a time,
but in the end a $2100.00 money pit that will not out shoot a used $750.00 rifle

cz455 pt $850.00
M5 trigger guard $85.00
tac knob $70.00
GK coated $100.00
20MOA scope base $45.00

like i said if looking for a trainer dont go down the road i did, (find a cheaper way)

i hope you get my point here yes there is a better way, an we did a little at a time,
but in the end a $2100.00 money pit that will not out shoot a used $750.00 rifle

I feel your pain, the first one I did was a money pit as there was ALOT of trial and error involved. Now the best most cost effective way is to:

Start with a 455 synthetic and sell stock and barrel.
Grab the lilja of your choice.
Boyds tacticool and the bedding work needed.
Firing pin spring, some polish work, trigger spring, mag well ect.

The ones I have done will shoot in the .2's at 50 yards which ain't to shabby for $900! Is your manners stock bedded?

I feel your pain, the first one I did was a money pit as there was ALOT of trial and error involved. Now the best most cost effective way is to:

Start with a 455 synthetic and sell stock and barrel.
Grab the lilja of your choice.
Boyds tacticool and the bedding work needed.
Firing pin spring, some polish work, trigger spring, mag well ect.

The ones I have done will shoot in the .2's at 50 yards which ain't to shabby for $900! Is your manners stock bedded?

DJ yep, my sons money pit shoots well at 50yd
but for us the match is mostly won at 156yd an 210yd
to clear things up thats what i mean by, (wont out shoot my MPR64)
at those 2 yardages cant find the ammo the 455 likes
however if my son does not shoot the match in september,
for shits an giggles i think i will shoot the money pit

DJ yep, my sons money pit shoots well at 50yd
but for us the match is mostly won at 156yd an 210yd
to clear things up thats what i mean by, (wont out shoot my MPR64)
at those 2 yardages cant find the ammo the 455 likes
however if my son does not shoot the match in september,
for shits an giggles i think i will shoot the money pit

Have you tried Midas +, R50, or tenex yet? The 22 LR are very difficult to shoot at those distances compared to an hmr. My 455 hmr lilja setup is nasty at further ranges!

No worries man
I hope I dint come off as an a-hole
I just like my CZ and yeah once all is said and done it may cost as much as a Annie and still not shoot as well but I will have had fun with it and really that's all that matters for me

cz455 pt $850.00
M5 trigger guard $85.00
tac knob $70.00
GK coated $100.00
20MOA scope base $45.00

You could probably get away without rifle basix trigger and get a Yodave for 25.00
m5 trigger guard is really not needed
GK coating is also not needed
I haven't gotten a Lilja barrel yet since my rifle shoots good enough for the moment

I recently acquired a CZ 455 in 22LR. I am exploring options for making it shoot more consistently

-uppity ammo.

I had a 455, briefly, and at the price of ammo I was willing to spend up to (WMT), it wasn't as consistently accurate as my Quad so it found a new home. I have no doubt that with $20/box ammo that 455 would have likely done better but that exceeded my threshold.

Some folks get lucky and find a rimfire rifle that thrives on the cheap stuff. I don't seem to have that level of luck...

bed it, trigger job then try several types of ammo. If you bed it, spend time to prep action well.

+1. That is what I did with my CZ455 Varmint as well. Out of the box it was shooting inside of 1" with Eley Target ammo at 50 yards, slightly above an inch with CCI mini-mags. Shooting was off of bags. After the bedding, the groups shrank to 0.68" best with the same Eley Target. Trigger job was simple polishing job by my local smith. Biggest variable for me was the ammo. Rifle just preferred Eley Target even over Tenex.

Ended up stopping there. It shot very well given I was behind it. I had visions of a Manners T-4 stock and Lilja barrel before I sold it. Proceeds going towards a Anschutz 1416D.

As mentioned previously, there are a number of good threads on bedding on Rimfirecentral, plus other upgrades folks have done.

sometimes it is the Indian not the arrow,,I have won a couple 100 yard smallbore benchrest matches for score with that CZ 455 ,,there were Anschutz,Rem and Kimber rifles at those matches,,I like shooting sights so I can keep an eye on the great equalizer,
a lot of the last little bit of accuracy I got from the pictured rifle didnt cost any money,,if you will notice the striker on the 455 it is made to fire off 22lr and 22 wmr ammo,,and IMO the spring is to heavy,,and the striker has a stop inside the bolt to allow dry firing without damage,,

there is a lot to be done in this area to clean up vibrations and make a 455 run a lot more steady,

No worries man
I hope I dint come off as an a-hole
I just like my CZ and yeah once all is said and done it may cost as much as a Annie and still not shoot as well but I will have had fun with it and really that's all that matters for me

usmc. not at all, the funny thing here is we all have an opinion, (world would be boring if we all agreed)
let start at the begin,
my son is all most done at college, he has made the deans list every time, an has held the #2 spot in his class, from day one. am I bragging (hell ya) takes after his mother in that respect. I am very proud of him, doing what I did not,
2 years ago he started in the shooting sports,(an like armorpl8chikn said, he has the stuff)
so when he asked if we could build him up a rifle, I was more then happy to do so.
the cz 455 fit the build (lots of mods out there), an father an son time together, was for sure ,something I was looking forward too.
we could have stopped at factory, w/trigger job. but the time together would also stop, ( he has a very pretty girlfriend now), an the old man sure cant hold a candle to that LOL
like I posted a lot of the mods were indeed personal, but what the hell, we had fun.

yes it is bedded, yes we played with the screw settings, an the scope is proven,(the same one I shot the 5x6 group} we have tried center x, midas P,
wolf match, fed 922a.fed ultramatch,tennx, old box of rws50,
most 22lr will shoot good at 50yd, an so does his rifle, an few 22lr will shoot good at 100yd, an so does his,
but very few ( an just stating what we see every month) will not shoot well at 150yd an 200yd, without the right ammo,
now a few gents I know well have found that mojo combo(rifle/ammo) an so have I with my annie, that is after many rounds shot, an lots of money spent.
I am no expert, but I do shoot about 3 to 4 times aweek an a 22 is always with me. I am not new to the 22lr, but this old dog always learns something new.

I only stated what I did about the cost, an the MPR 64 so the OP will know when enuff is anuff. that's all.
the CZ455 is a fine rifle out of the box as any, in that price range. with mods that can be beneficial, or personal.
So to all, we all good, I love a heated but friendly debatable topic

YO

Last edited:
I am not planning to replace the stock, or change the barrel.

The 455 Varmint stock is ok.
Will require pillars to prevent the bottom metal from kinking.
Easy enough to epoxy bed/shim the receiver to the inletting.
With pillars you really don't need to do a centerfire bedding job.
Just fill the gaps under the tang and along the sides of the inletting.

Polish the bore. It's easy to accomplish, go to the range and shoot.
After about 2 bricks of ammo down range, check your accuracy.

Try temporary barrel shimming to see if it will improve accuracy.
Aluminum foil or card board to fill the gap between the barrel and forestock.
Shift the shim locations from just forward of the receiver towards the muzzle.
Inch by inch watch group sizes until best results are determined.
My guess is you'll find a barrel support shim about 3 to 4 inches forward of the receiver
will give you the best consistent trajectories.

Match grade ammo, my 455 Varmint does best with RWS R50.

Target reticle scope 24x or better with parallax adjustment from 10 yards to forever.

And after you get bored with 22lr, order the Lilja bull barrel 17 hmr.
It'll drop right into the Varmint stock and make you giggle when you see the accuracy.

Last edited:
sometimes it is the Indian not the arrow,,I have won a couple 100 yard smallbore benchrest matches for score with that CZ 455 ,,there were Anschutz,Rem and Kimber rifles at those matches,,I like shooting sights so I can keep an eye on the great equalizer,
a lot of the last little bit of accuracy I got from the pictured rifle didnt cost any money,,if you will notice the striker on the 455 it is made to fire off 22lr and 22 wmr ammo,,and IMO the spring is to heavy,,and the striker has a stop inside the bolt to allow dry firing without damage,,

there is a lot to be done in this area to clean up vibrations and make a 455 run a lot more steady,

Mr big, more info please.
this old dog needs a new trick.
not joking would like to have more info, as my sons CZ was a 22mag when we bought it

my eyes to bad to shoot open sights, but I have seen some sharp shooting gents, put some of my scope targets to shame, with a good set of peeps

Last edited:
The 455 Varmint stock is ok.
Will require pillars to prevent the bottom metal from kinking.
Easy enough to epoxy bed/shim the receiver to the inletting.
With pillars you really don't need to do a centerfire bedding job.
Just fill the gaps under the tang and along the sides of the inletting.

Polish the bore. It's easy to accomplish, go to the range and shoot.
After about 2 bricks of ammo down range, check your accuracy.

Try temporary barrel shimming to see if it will improve accuracy.
Aluminum foil or card board to fill the gap between the barrel and forestock.
Shift the shim locations from just forward of the receiver towards the muzzle.
Inch by inch watch group sizes until best results are determined.
My guess is you'll find a barrel support shim about 3 to 4 inches forward of the receiver
will give you the best consistent trajectories.

Match grade ammo, my 455 Varmint does best with RWS R50.

Target reticle scope 24x or better with parallax adjustment from 10 yards to forever.

And after you get bored with 22lr, order the Lilja bull barrel 17 hmr.
It'll drop right into the Varmint stock and make you giggle when you see the accuracy.

Justin
just hit me in the face, we have not tried barrel shim yet,
about how thick, are force needed on barrel to start with,
dam might be hope for the money pit yet LOL

Not hard to do 'yote.
Just enough cardboard layered to fill so the barrel won't move.
Not so much that it realigns the barrel to parts unknown.

big-shims.JPG

Here's a shim testing target for the 455 22lr barrel

shim-testing.jpeg

You can see the impact pattern/stringing change as shims were shifted from spot to spot.
When you hit the right spot, it's obvious, eh?

Not hard to do 'yote.
Just enough cardboard layered to fill so the barrel won't move.
Not so much that it realigns the barrel to parts unknown.

big-shims.JPG

Here's a shim testing target for the 455 22lr barrel

shim-testing.jpeg

You can see the impact pattern/stringing change as shims were shifted from spot to spot.
When you hit the right spot, it's obvious, eh?

looks obvious to me, thanks
YO

When I recently purchased my CZ 455 VPT I immediately removed the 22lr barrel and sent it of to SAC to be threaded and purchased a 17HMR barrel from CZ-USA. I cannot compare it to a Lilja 17HMR barrel as I have not shot one, but I was able to hold an 1.0 - 1.5" group at 100 yards off a bench and bipod using Hornady 17gr VMAX ammo. That was with a 50 yard zero. In my opinion if you want to make a CZ 455 better, get a 17 HMR barrel and never look back. It's boringly accurate and I consider myself an average shooter. I was able to center punch clay pigeons at 115 yards without making any adjustments to the scope at all. My shooting buddy was able to duplicate my results. I don't see myself putting the 22lr barrel back on any time soon.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. They have given me some good direction. My goal for this rifle is first and foremost to have fun. I'm not into competition (yet), and am looking for improvements that I can make on my own (I'm cheap). So far I'm getting the best results with cheap ammo. American Eagle 38 gr hollow points. But to be honest I haven't given all of the high dollar stuff a thorough workout. I doubt that I will ever change the barrel on this rifle. I bought it because I needed (my wife says "wanted") a highly accurate 22LR. I already have a 17HMR that shoots way better than I can. The walnut will stay because it is gorgeous. I have installed a DIP base, and am still undecided as to scope choice. It will most likely be a Vortex Diamondback HP or the Crossfire II. I don't plan on shooting past 100 yards, so I don't need a ton of adjustment, and the fact that the Crossfire will focus as close as 10 yards is appealing. My next step is deciding what needs to be done with the trigger. It has a bit too much creep for my tastes, and could be a little lighter. Any recommendations as to the DIP adjustable sear? I hear a lot of talk about the YoDave. Looked at the Rifle Basix as well. How about the Timney? The pics of the bedding were very helpful.
Thanks again for all of your comments.

I recently acquired a CZ 455 in 22LR. I am exploring options for making it shoot more consistently. I am pleased with its accuracy so far, but am always looking to improve. I am researching trigger improvements, like the YoDave, Timney, Rifle Basics, or DIP. Also thinking about glass bedding, but there doesn't look like there is a lot of area for bedding the action. I am not planning to replace the stock, or change the barrel. Mine is the varmint model with the bull barrel. Thanks in advance for your input and experience.

Trade it in on an Anschutz............

the best rigger you can do to the cz rimfires is the DIP adjustable sear and the JNP trigger and striker spring kit,,there are cheaper ways to do it but the DIP sear is the best way to remove creep and with the springs you can get down to around 8 ounces safely,,

I lucked into a John Langely 1.5 ounce 452 trigger on RFC for a song,,it wound up in my 1957 Brno Model 4,,it is a self contained unit much like a Rem 700 Arnold Jewell,,I believe if Jewell made a 452-455 trigger they would sell out for years,,

i did not fire that shot
the OP asked a good question.
an a lot have posted a good fix.
no it is not a annie,winnie,remmie,sako, copper
but it is a damm fine rifle for the money, if you know its limits
for a trainer/plinker great setup, just dont spend a wad of money,
trying to make it into something its not
get one do a trigger job,bed it, good glass. then SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF IT.
an enjoy
YO!

ps as far as a 17hmr, 22mag. the cz 455 is indeed one of the best, IMO?