• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

How heavy can I go with a 1:9 twist AR15?

Rem5R

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2005
Mississippi
Never realoaded for an AR15 before and I was wondering how heavy of a bullet I can reload and shoot in a 1:9 twist barrel. Looking for some input from you AR15 guys. Just in case it matters, the AR15 is a Stag Arms New Model 3.

Thanks
Rem5R

Re: How heavy can I go with a 1:9 twist AR15?

only way to kno is to try. I am shooting 77's out of a 20" barrel 223 improved

69 SMK for sure, some will stabilize 75 and 77. It depends on how close to a true 9 twist it has. Some barrels are over or under the advertised 9 by quite a bit.

Not exactly the same as an AR, but my Savage 9 twist stabilizes the Hornady 75gr Match HPBT just fine.

I've run some 75gr Hornady's over W748 with good results. Never got to stretch their legs far, but they grouped well and stabilized good

69,75 and 77 BTHP & 70 vld work well in my 1-9 bolt action. A-max's were a no go and same with 80 BTHP.

I have shot the hornady 75's out of a 16" 1-9 AR with decent success.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JaredCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot the hornady 75's out of a 16" 1-9 AR with decent success. </div></div>

+1 here, 1-9 shoots the 75's real well for me with Benchmark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on the bullet length. </div></div>

X2

Just going to have to try it. Got a 1/9 Savage bbl that runs 80SMKs like nobody's biznuts. Just depends on the bullet, bbl and how hard you are pushing them.

69-77 in my experiences too. just keep in mind the more you stretch the weight/twist ratio the less friendly it becomes to barrel life, as far as accuracy is concerned. (usually not a big deal to most AR guys anyway). good luck.

Also, if you the bullet goes faster, it will stabilize better. So, if you have a bullet that will not stabilize, try making it go faster.

you should be fine with the bullets in the mid to hi 70gr area. 80s may work ive seen some shoot well in 9 twist ars shooting highpower. buddys colt loves em. seen em shoot horrible tho as well. most are using 8 or 7 twist for 80s. best you can do is buy a box of each load them up and give em a try. worst thats guna happen is you are goin to spend a day at the range shooting