• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How hot is this load? *UPDATED WITH CHRONY DATA!!*

flopduster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2008
South Carolina
I am currently running 47.0 gr of re-15 in lapua brass(sized with a collet die) 155 vld bergers load 2.890 coal with br2 primers. I get a little ejector wipe every 6-7 rounds around 85 degrees. It gets hot here in the summer so I don't know if that will cause more serious problems or not. I started much lower but got better groups as I approached 47., I have not loaded and higher and loaded the last at 46.9. No chrony data yet. It is a compressed load as before I seat the bullet the powder is up in the case neck a little.

thanks

Re: How hot is this load?

46.5 RE15 in Lapua brass with 155 Scenars gives me 2932fps out of my 24" Remmy 5R.

depending on how much hotter it gets is what will probally get you. But I really don't know how much temperature will affet it to the point of unsafe levels. Personally I wouldn't chance it. It's not worth it. But I haven't been loading that long, and am still a little gun shy about it.

I had flyers at 46.6 gr, went to 47 to get rid of them, I might could come down to 46.8 without blowing accuracy.

OP you are correct there is a node at 46.9 for reloader 15 Lapua brass 155 bullet and things really come together. It is very tempting but it is too high presure for most barrel chamber combinations. I have been shooting RL 15 and 155 for years. At the moment I have a new 25" Schneider 5P barrel with match chamber. 46.9RL = 3025 fps. There are other nodes that provide great accuracy and velocities with reasonable pressures.

There is a methodology to developing a load which will locate the nodes, and a range of loads which have a common point of impact POI in only 15 to 20 rounds, then how to tune selected load by adjusting seating depth. You have a real opportunity to adopt a mythology that will help you developed loads very rapidly with only a few test rounds.

These two links will give you the information the first is the methodology the second is a web forum were people discuss their loads and post photos. There is a learning curve in selecting the optimum charge weight from your test, look at some test does not matter which powder or even cal. just to get the hang of it.
www.optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ and www.practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/index.php

There is a lower node that gives you about 2932-2950Fps

I went and got some chrony data yesterday, not as fast as I was expecting but no pressure signs.
Savage 10 with factory 24" 1/10 barrel

huntingpics026.jpg

data 10 ft from muzzle, oehler chrony

Based on these velocities and lack of pressure signs I believe I should be fine when the temp gets up right?? Any reason for these low velocities, not that I am worried, just curious.

I wouldnt think that 2900 is all that slow personally. ES of 23 fps, average speed of 2903 in the first group. And a ES of 15, and an average of 2898 for the second string. Average of all 10 shots being 2901, hell that doesnt seem all that bad.

Im hoping to get 2850 out of my spsT with Varget and an good accurate load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you use a "fresh" batt. in the crono?
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

It was a new batt when I last used the chrony about 5 months ago, no one has used it since. Is that "fresh" enough??

NOPE.... These crono's need batts. that are are "fresh" for "true reads". Trust me on this.
Batts. are CHEAP when you think of all the $$$ we "throw" into our hobby.
Try a fresh battery and see for yourownself, it MAY or may not make a difference........It sure does with my Pact.
Respectfully,
LG

that seems a bit slow, +1 on new batt for your chrony. Like I said, with 46.2gr of RE15 Im getting 2900fps with the 155 Scenars, and 2932 fps with 46.5 grains for RE15. This is out of my factory Remmy 5R 1/11.25 twist 24" bbl.

Unless your bore is rough enough to cause enough friction to slow those bullets down, I think your chrono is not reporting the correct velocity.

If that's a 24 or 26 inch barrel, I'd call it "probably" okay but max. Over specs by charge weight, but ALSO loaded long = lower pressure.

To have a better idea, you should buy QuickLoad. It's in my future.

Ejector wipe is a concern at only 85 F. If the frequency increases more than 20% over what you already see when shot at 95 F, I wouldn't shoot them when it's that hot.

I have to plan for 110 F. A lot changes above 90.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flopduster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you use a "fresh" batt. in the crono?
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

It was a new batt when I last used the chrony about 5 months ago, no one has used it since. Is that "fresh" enough?? </div></div>

Not in mine ( Pact).... I started unplugging it (the battery) when not in use.