• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many states allow Convicted Felons to be cops?

pawprint

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
As I understand it, state by state determine if a felon can become a cop. In Memphis the city had a "second chance" program, whereby a convicted felon, who hasn't been caught and convicted a second time, can become a cop. I believe it is still going on. I was just wondering how many other states have the same program. I believe it is something along the lines of 20 or more. I for one don't believe they should be allowed to become cops, but I'm sure there will be a bunch of LE types that'll say, "If they are cops, they're great". I believe past behavior is the best way to predict future behavior. Any thoughts?

Reactions: soflastg
Re: How many states allow Convicted Felons to be cops?

Anyone can screw up. I'm all for giving one a second chance. I was a cop, I know several ex-felons that I wouldn't have and problems having them watch my back.

It depends on the individual, all stories arn't the same.

A conviction under ADA is a disability. I don't have the numbers (I have seen them at a chief's conference) but there are very few states who hire them.

Well while most interweb judge, jury, executioners are hard as nails and as Christian as Osama...

Some of we were raised to believe once a debt to society has been paid by a Citizen in a democratic CHRISTIAN nation, he should be forgiven.

I have noticed a strong desire for the Jewish Old Testament at such times. Yet I'd ask what would Jesus do?

As a predictor of future behavior, I'm sure everyone of us has done something that would predict future bad behavior- the factor left out is we, well maybe not all, are capable of learning from our mistakes.

Otherwise noone would make it past the first day of Basic!

THE question is why arent more good citizens, especially the ones who line up to attack LE everytime someone drags an 'example' of LE bad behavior in here, lining up to do their turn Serving and Protecting?

Doubt any department would consider felons if the supply of square jawed, clear eyed citizens was plentiful.

Remember when the Army flirted with lower standards for recruits at the hieght of the Iraq War part deux?

Just pondering the other side of your coin.

Reactions: bdubmkg

Actually you are wrong. The reason given in Memphis is based on the racial make-up of the city vs the racial make-up of the MPD. It was noted that a very large percentage of men and women in the age bracket desired by the PD, that were African American, were also felons. There wasn't a shortage of qualified applicants, just a shortage of qualified applicants that met the racial quota desires of the mayor. I for one don't believe anyone should be denied a job based on race, any more than I believe anyone should be given a job (over a more qualified applicant) based on race. Each person should be judged by the content of their character-MLK, Jr.
Regarding predictions of future behavior, I believe it is quite accurate to say, those convicted of a felony are far more likely to commit (and be convicted of)another felony, as compared to someone who has never been convicted of a felony. The research on this subject is huge, and only the worst informed-least read among us would argue otherwise.

This goes to what I have said about you get Police Force you pay for.

Pay them well, demand high standards and credentials and settle for no less tahn a great Police Force.

Pay them shit, lower standards and guess what you get shit.

Shit in is shit out.

Convicted Felons as cops. Thats about as fucked up as it gets. Most folks out here by the time they get to be convicted felons ahve committed so many crimes you could call most Career Criminals.

Sorry but that crosses too many lines

I can hear it now " Hey I am Officer Dirt Bag I need to take my former cell mate to jail, is he home"

Epic fng fail

I can't speak to some of our local and county depts. here in WV (standards are prettymuch in the toilet in some areas due to lack of the ability to recruit quality officers based on being in the middle of nowhere with pay that makes McD's look like Wall Street), but I can tell you that our State Police will absolutely NOT even consider an application from a person who's been convicted of a felony offense (domestic violence or otherwise...by state law in WV they are prohibited from taking on felons as officers or even as Cadets) and the State Police MAY go so far as to exclude individuals from service for even minor, misdemeanor convictions/pleas at their discretion.

While I certainly understand so-called "second chances" and that sometimes "things happen"...I think that any "special program" or other method for intentionally placing these folks as LEOs is a BAD idea. As kraig said...not every situation is the same and sometimes, in some circumstances...it might not be a bad thing, but in the other vast majority of circumstances...let those people serve and protect my order at the Taco Bell drive-thru or serve my shopping needs at the Wal-mart and as far away as possible from any job involving any positions of authority which further require carrying a firearm, tazer, etc., etc. and using their "discretion"/"judgment" on the job.
wink.gif

Epic f-ing fail INDEED!

In California, if you are a convicted felon, you cannot posses a firearm. So your answer for California is 0 with no exceptions.

There are plenty of qualified applicants. They just don't always possess the appropriate body parts or hue desired by agencies. Some things to remember:

1. Although sometimes portrayed as a conservative minded profession, law enforcement agencies are almost universally liberal. This is very important to understand and never forget.

2. The hierarchy of who agencies are interested in hiring is as follows:

ANY minority or woman with anything short of a MAJOR felony on their record
People with connections in the department
Veterans
White males with college degrees
White males with some college experience
White males who speak more than one language
White males with clean credit/driving/arrest histories

Hate it or love it, that's just the way things are. There's no arguing.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii

To my knowledge, it's a federal crime for a felon to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition (18 USC 922). Given this, I do't see how it would be possible for someone convicted of a felony to become a cop. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reactions: TheHorta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, state by state determine if a felon can become a cop. In Memphis the city had a "second chance" program, whereby a convicted felon, who hasn't been caught and convicted a second time, can become a cop. I believe it is still going on. I was just wondering how many other states have the same program. I believe it is something along the lines of 20 or more. I for one don't believe they should be allowed to become cops, but I'm sure there will be a bunch of LE types that'll say, "If they are cops, they're great". I believe past behavior is the best way to predict future behavior. Any thoughts? </div></div>

Personally I think that your true purpose in starting this thread is NOT to seek an answer to the question you pose but to futher continue your anti LE nonsense from the SWAT thread. This seems to me like an overt effort on your part to continue stiring the pot. But whatever, if that's how you get your kicks.

I'd love to meet you over a beer so we could discuss these things in person.

And for the record, I don't think a convicted felon should be allowed to wear a shield. Nor do I think federal law allows for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Convicted Felons as cops. Thats about as fucked up as it gets. Most folks out here by the time they get to be convicted felons ahve committed so many crimes you could call most Career Criminals.

</div></div>

This exactly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In California, if you are a convicted felon, you cannot posses a firearm. So your answer for California is 0 with no exceptions. </div></div>

There is a Sheriff in eastern Kentucky that has multiple felony convictions, but the locals keep re-electing him. He carries a muzzle loading pistol.

• Love
Reactions: riverside jeep

I'm not in ANY way defending the practice of hiring convicted felons for LEO positions. In fact...I stand by my earlier post 100%!!

BUT...under certain criteria, even a convicted felon can regain rights lost due to the conviction, including but not limited to voting, firearm ownership/possession, etc., etc. which I am sure make becoming an LEO in limited circumstances easier (God help us all)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, state by state determine if a felon can become a cop. In Memphis the city had a "second chance" program, whereby a convicted felon, who hasn't been caught and convicted a second time, can become a cop. I believe it is still going on. I was just wondering how many other states have the same program. I believe it is something along the lines of 20 or more. I for one don't believe they should be allowed to become cops, but I'm sure there will be a bunch of LE types that'll say, "If they are cops, they're great". I believe past behavior is the best way to predict future behavior. Any thoughts? </div></div>

Personally I think that your true purpose in starting this thread is NOT to seek an answer to the question you pose but to futher continue your anti LE nonsense from the SWAT thread. This seems to me like an overt effort on your part to continue stiring the pot. But whatever, if that's how you get your kicks.

I'd love to meet you over a beer so we could discuss these things in person.

And for the record, I don't think a convicted felon should be allowed to wear a shield. Nor do I think federal law allows for it. </div></div>
True purpose? Do you live in an area or state that has convicted felons as cops? I do. If I wanted to continue to discuss the killing of a young man, a Marine, just back from AFG, I would have continued on that thread. As far as I am concerned to charactarize what I posted regarding the killing of that young man as "none sense", is a cheap shot. I don't have any problem what so ever in stating my position. Don't need to have a "special purpose". If you live in an area that allows felons to be cops and are okay with it, I feel sorry for you, as I do, and do not feel that you can trust these guys, nor am I getting my Tax Dollar worth. If being against hiring from prison cell to partrol car felons is being anti LE, you do have me there, I am against this in every way.

And if you read the last line of my first post, you would see that I don't agree with the practice either.

I didn't think it was possible due to the fact that as a convicted felon you're not allowed to legally carry a firearm.

Maybe you should lobby your politicians to chage the laws. Or you could always move.

Each individual situation should dictate. As a USMC Recruiter I processed four recruits with felony waivers (approval level is Commanding General), and all four made outstanding Marines. One awarded for valor in combat but had a felony conviction for GT when he was 14y/o. Should he not be allowed to become a LEO? I know I'd trust him with my kids' life.

Hire the person, not the resume.

Reactions: MK20

Oregon=No. Misd that are not DV related are allowed.

In Wisconsin an unpardoned Felon can not be certified as a LEO or corrections officer. In fact, they can not possess many trade licences either... determined on a case by case review, teachers, health care workers... even barber.

In addition...Federal Law also prohibits anyone with a <span style="text-decoration: underline">misdemeaner conviction </span>involving any crime or State Statute related to Domestic Violence. Anyone so convicted can't posess a firearm or ammunition. So... you are prohibited from being a LEO because you can't posess a firearm (even if not a "Felon").

A number of careers have been ended by this rule... pissed off wives, children and girlfriends can seriously screw you if they know what to say and if you don't understand how serious these allegations can be.

ATF Information on this...

and from a LE Union publication...

<span style="font-style: italic">The Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA) and the 1997 Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act contain federal firearms laws related to domestic violence. VAWA makes it a crime for a person who is the subject of a domestic abuse restraining order to transport, receive, or possess firearms or ammunition which have come across state or federal borders. The Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997 made several amendments to the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968. The amendments prohibit the possession of firearms and ammunition by persons convicted of state or federal misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence and the distribution of firearms and ammunition to such persons. Unlike the provisions in VAWA, law enforcement officers and other governmental officials are NOT EXEMPT from the amendments. <span style="text-decoration: underline">As of the effective date, September 30, 1996, any person convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor may no longer possess a firearm or ammunition.</span> </span>

Felons as LEO just doesn't make sense, bad idea.

Nevada no, any conviction for a felony automatically disqualifies you from ever becoming a LE officer any where in Nevada.

I am far from mistake free but there is a limit to what we can accept when it comes to the small percentage of men who protect our families and property.

To be a felon you had to commite a serious crime after you where a grown man or woman, not takinga Joy Ride as a 14 year old. Now I know some accidents such as vehicular manslaughter are in contrast to this, but in that type of case it shows a poor decision ( Drinking and driving)

I remember when my old department was having a hard time recruiting because wages ahd gone down. By that I mean highly qualified applicants not any warm body. My chief had a recruit pee dirty for Marijuna. He should have been fired but chief took his badge away for a year and had him work parking enforcement. Well guess what six months after he got his badge back he peed dirty again.

The bottom line is we need to have officers that are:
Highly trained
Highly motivated
Highly qualified
The Best Applicants available
Shown good decision making abilities
Clean criminal and drug records

This job is not for everyone who wants to do it and yes a felony should bar your ass from even application process. The public should trust us and knowing some officers on your department are felons certainly wont help. I can see guys going into promotionals with there RAP Sheet and Probation reports. How fng low have we gone in this country.

I am all for giving folks a second chance but that does not include giving them a badge and gun to see how they do.

what about expungements?? the arrest is still on record even though its sealed just in case the person screws up again.

It's all about money. Didn't you see the movie Trading Places? Felons can be reformed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I'm sure there will be a bunch of LE types that'll say, "If they are cops, they're great". Any thoughts? </div></div>

My thought is YOUR STIRRING THE POT! I agree with Slapchop's comments.

Many of the laws that would keep someone from owning a gun, such as domestic violence convictions, do not apply to cops. In fact cops fought for the exemption from day one. Here is a segment from an article printed in 1997:

Gerald Arenberg, executive director of the National Association of Chiefs of Police, observed that the act "has thrown the whole world into confusion for cops." Victor Kappeler, director of the Criminal Justice Graduate Program at Eastern Kentucky University, estimated that if accurate reporting of all such police domestic violence occurred, and if all such assaults were fully prosecuted, 10% of the nation's law-enforcement officials (70,000 individuals) could be found guilty and thus banned from possessing a firearm under the new law.

The National Association of Police Organizations is calling for Congress to amend the law to exempt police. Beth Weaver, a NAPO spokesman, complained: "What we are concerned about is that law enforcement officers are the only group of workers in the country who stand to lose their jobs because of this new regulation." Rep. Bart Stupak, a Michigan Republican, introduced a bill in the new Congress to exempt policemen from the new law.

The fact that such a bill would be openly proposed symbolizes how much contempt congressmen now have for the rule of law — the principle that the same law should apply to all. Perhaps some congressmen believe that possessing a government badge should be interpreted as having a federal license for wife beating. Perhaps the police need to be exempt from the law in order to have sufficient personnel to take away other people's guns.

The following is from the US Code, the exemption.

Official Use Exemption, 18 U.S.C. §925

The restrictions of Sections 922(d)(8) and (g)(8) do not apply to firearms issued by governmental agencies to a law enforcement officer or military personnel so long as the officer or military personnel is on duty. Personal firearms do not fall within this exemption nor may these personnel possess officially issued firearms when off duty.

Equal Justice For All.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well while most interweb judge, jury, executioners are hard as nails and as Christian as Osama...

Some of we were raised to believe once a debt to society has been paid by a Citizen in a democratic CHRISTIAN nation, he should be forgiven.

I have noticed a strong desire for the Jewish Old Testament at such times. Yet I'd ask what would Jesus do?</div></div>

Haha...

I guess some people just can't help themselves, they have to drag religion into everything, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The following is from the US Code, the exemption. </div></div>

I may lead a sheltered life... but with the exception of the military, I've never heard of any agency granting an employee in law enforcement employment if this exemption was necessary. DV conviction = dead in the water.

Paw, man leave the police alone, get another agenda.

I have never heard of one single cop being convicted of felont spousal abuse and keeping there job.

Out her we had the "Rubber Gun Squad" for guys who had been charged with misdemeanor Battery or misdemeanor DUI, awaiting trial. Those guys always ended up with days of no pay for there sins. Get a second DUI and they generally got fired. Get convicted of spousal abuse and get fired.

Now ones charged with Felonies where given administrative hearings and generally fired for the crimes.

Thats why I am having hard tome understanding who wnats to hire Felons as police officers.

tac, I don't know about a felony conviction and keeping their job, I am more concerned about a misdemeanor, it would keep everyone else from carrying a gun. Equal justice. But as you've never heard of cops being involved in domestic violence, beating their wives and the like, I was able to find a large body of book written on the subject, to include guides to lawyers to help get their clients off! Here are a couple I've found:
Crossing the Threshold: Female Officers and Police-Perpetrated Domestic Violence The police culture's focus on authority and control can affect officers' personal relationships. Law enforcement's historical attitudes about women and minorities provides the background for this book about domestic violence in police families. Read the Abstract and reviews. (Buy now) Representing Victims of Police-Perpetrated Domestic ViolenceAttorneys and legal advocates face extraordinary challenges when representing a woman in a divorce or custody case whose batterer is a police officer. The Impact of Police-Perpetrated Domestic ViolenceThe FBI National Academy held a invitational summit in 1998 on officer-involved domestic violence. The compilation of research was published as Domestic Violence by Police Officers (U.S. DOJ, 2000). This chapter by Diane Wetendorf examines the dynamics of OIDV and how it impacts the victim, the department and the community. Police Family ViolenceRather than customizing services for victims of police abusers, we expect departments to hold officers accountable for criminal behavior. Abusive Police Officers: Working the SystemOfficers who batter are able to use professional control tactics and the brotherhood to defend their actions. They receive support and assistance from the same institutions victims turn to for protection. (Buy now) Developing Policy on Officer-Involved Domestic Violence Wetendorf and Davis find that solutions good from the department's perspective can make things worse for the victim; and solutions better for the victim can leave the department open to liability. (Buy now) The Misuse of Police Powers in Officer-Involved Domestic Violence Explores how the power and authority granted to officers to protect the public can lead to the abuse of their power. (Buy now) Police Domestic Violence Handbook for Victims As the victim of a police officer, your situation is very different than that of other victims of domestic violence. If you have ever tried to get help, you may have become discouraged because no one seemed to understand your plight. You are not alone. (Buy now) Advocate & Officer Dialogues: Police-Perpetrated Domestic ViolenceTwo essays, Developing Policy on Officer-Involved Domestic Violence and the Misuse of Police Powers, explore how the power and authority granted to officers to protect people can become abusive. Wetendorf and Davis find that solutions good for the department can make things worse for the victim; and solutions better for the victim can expose the department to liability. (Buy now) Female Officers as Victims of Police-Perpetrated Domestic Violence Examines how the expectations and values of the female officer's profession and workplace culture influence her behavior and decisions regarding her abusive relationship. When the Batterer Is a Law Enforcement Officer: A Guide for AdvocatesComprehensive resource for advocates working with women whose batterers are in law enforcement. Includes safety considerations and advocacy strategies. Back to top

My "agenda" is simple, In America, we should all be subject to the same laws. The Constitution is the highest law in the land-and must be protected. Our Law Enforcement should be beyond approach, honest and deserving of respect-we (all of us) should demand high quality, and in return should show the highest respect. You can't have respect if your actions do not warrant respect. You can have fear-fear is not respect. No American should live in fear from any part of the Govt., we should respect our govt., and support it, but never fear it.

I no a couple who are felons and there not violent felons and there cops alot don't understand this part on guns lol like hell I got me a carry permit and I'm a felon but the thing is that I'm not a violent felon so I could get a carry permit federal says you can't buy one and other states you can't buy but you can poses hope people pick up a book or else y do I carry a 357 Magnum loaded at all times and I get pulled over they check my gun check my license and my open carry permit insurance registration and insurance gives my gun back goes to his car to run my stuff comes back gives it back then I'm free to go so people are kinda confused if your violent or hurt a kid or raped I garentee your ass won't be a cop but if you did some low level petty shit as a young man I don't see were you would have a problem but have your references in order

• Wow
Reactions: 1J04
I no a couple who are felons and there not violent felons and there cops alot don't understand this part on guns lol like hell I got me a carry permit and I'm a felon but the thing is that I'm not a violent felon so I could get a carry permit federal says you can't buy one and other states you can't buy but you can poses hope people pick up a book or else y do I carry a 357 Magnum loaded at all times and I get pulled over they check my gun check my license and my open carry permit insurance registration and insurance gives my gun back goes to his car to run my stuff comes back gives it back then I'm free to go so people are kinda confused if your violent or hurt a kid or raped I garentee your ass won't be a cop but if you did some low level petty shit as a young man I don't see were you would have a problem but have your references in order
Punctuation. It's a wonderful thing...

Reactions: tnc and soflastg
Did you really join 20 min ago just to resurrect a thread that has been dead for almost a decade? I smell a Bot!!

The worst part about this isn’t the punctuation... but that you couldn’t wait a few more months until the 10yr anniversary of this thread.
1613990256281.gif

Ferrinner. For those north of the Mason Dixon. It's pronounced Fer- in- er. Meaning... It's probably someone's rich uncle from Kenya. Also, they ain't from around here.

I think this post alone may have given every grammar/spelling Nazi here a stroke! :eek:

Funny how it's always the brand new member with the necro post. I long wondered how one even found such an old post, but someone explained it was probably a search engine that dug it up and led them here.

You're from "Laffayette" Indiana?

LOL you can't even spell the name of the fucking town you live in

I have 2 friends that are considered hardened criminal felons, and their crime DUI.

If you fart too loudly in public you can be charged with a crime anymore. Remember that.

Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

• Wow
Reactions: CSGambill and 1J04

Hi,

WHAT
1613998070598.png

Language do you speak????

Sincerely,
Theis

Bad breeding habits

OH my, That had me laughing. Good Monday morning belly laugh.

A computer/bot cannot talk/type that way. It takes a serious life of fast food, cheap beer, hook-ups at family reunions, and losing trailers to the rats to be that way.

@Srgt. Hulka - you know if you went out in the swamps a bit, you could find a slack-jawed ole boy in overalls and a straw hat on a porch sippin shine, for whom that would be a fine soliloquy.