• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How To Install BT17 Rail for Atlas Bipod in McM A5

Would also like to know the whereabouts of the parts as I now finally have the time to work on this.

Do not waste your time waiting for the bits to magically reappear. I have used these ones as well as a plain old bit and a 3/4 spade bit and the results are the exact same.

Running into this issue with my A5. Need some input.

I ordered the BT17 rail and BT1517 fastener to mount an Atlas bipod to my A5. The A5 previously had two factory sling studs installed, which I removed to install the BT1517 fasteners. The t-nut on the fasteners does not pass through the pre-drilled hole in the stock. However, the hole was pre-threaded (with what appears to be an embedded metal pillar??) for the sling studs, and the BT1517 cap screws fit perfectly in them, ending close to where the sling studs did in the barrel channel with the BT17 rail in place (the BT1517 screws are the same diameter as the sling studs - confirmed by screwing a sling stud into the t-nut).

My question is, am I fine then not setting the t-nuts in place given that the cap screws fit just as snug and nearly as far as the sling studs did? Given that the sling studs were meant to hold a Harris bipod in place, I'm assuming this config can hold the Atlas in place just fine?

Alternatively, are there different fastener sets or longer screws available that would make for a better solution?

See photos: PHOTOS

Running into this issue with my A5. Need some input.

I ordered the BT17 rail and BT1517 fastener to mount an Atlas bipod to my A5. The A5 previously had two factory sling studs installed, which I removed to install the BT1517 fasteners. The t-nut on the fasteners does not pass through the pre-drilled hole in the stock. However, the hole was pre-threaded (with what appears to be an embedded metal pillar??) for the sling studs, and the BT1517 cap screws fit perfectly in them, ending close to where the sling studs did in the barrel channel with the BT17 rail in place (the BT1517 screws are the same diameter as the sling studs - confirmed by screwing a sling stud into the t-nut).

My question is, am I fine then not setting the t-nuts in place given that the cap screws fit just as snug and nearly as far as the sling studs did? Given that the sling studs were meant to hold a Harris bipod in place, I'm assuming this config can hold the Atlas in place just fine?

Alternatively, are there different fastener sets or longer screws available that would make for a better solution?

See photos: PHOTOS

In case anyone encounters the same with their A5 and BT17, I received confirmation from both Accu-Shot and McMillan that it is acceptable to mount the 10-32 screws that come in the BT1517 fastener set, where the A5 stock has embedded threaded anchors (as mine does), without having to use the t-nuts. I believe the 10-32 screws in the BT1517 package are 3/4". With the elevation that the rail adds, there is some extra space between the screw head and the bottom of the stock, resulting in the screw not fully engaging all of the available thread on the embedded anchor, so I purchased identical button head cap screws from Ace that are 1" and they fit perfectly (protruding just slightly from the anchor). Hope this helps anyone facing the same or similar dilemma. Cheers