• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to properly break in a new rifle?

dpharley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2009
California
I’ve just bought my first long range rifle, Savage BAT with Super Sniper scope, what is the proper break in procedure I should follow? I have heard many conflicting theories on proper barrel break in procedures. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: How to properly break in a new rifle?

please use the search function, this topic gets covered weekly, and here is a piece of info, just shooting the damn rifle and clean it when accuracy drops off. Run a few dry patches through the barrel first to get any debris from the manufacturer out before you shoot it

Oh~ brotha~ you gonna get so much dirt from this question. This question has been talked about so many times, and you will get 2 parties debating whether break-in is needed.

To many, break-in is not needed, but if you insist, go to any of the fine barrel maker's website, they all have their very own way of breaking-in their barrels. Pick one that suits you best, that's if you insist on breaking-in.

Hope this helped ya!

Dyl..

I LOVE this:

<span style="font-style: italic">"How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?
Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal."</span></span>
- taken from : http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question10

Oh, and in case no one tells you, there is a search function that holds the keys to the information universe!

You should search....but I'll tell you my break in anyway.

Shoot 5 rounds, clean a little.

Shoot 5 round, clean a little more.

Shoot a few hundred rounds.

I vote for Shilens way. Personally, I tried GAPs way figured I'd pay that much , why not clean it like they say.

Next few custom builds, I got lazier and lazier, and before you knew it, I just cleaned it when it came home, then shot it.

I personally cannot tell a difference.

Lol +1 for Shilens technique as everyone has said use the search... Mine is 2 patches to get anything out from Manufacturer then 5rnds patch 5 rnds patch then fire and forget for ever 3-5 hundred rounds

Just shoot it and clean it when you are done.

There are so many insane breaking in techniques out there that you could spend an evening or more reading them all and still be thoroughly confused.

If you really want to spend a lot of time on it, pick the one that uses the most rounds, clean between each round and send it to me after you are done because it will probably be half shot out by then!

Just kidding, shoot a few rounds clean it and then start shooting the damn thing!

Good luck!
Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best I know of....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg </div></div>

Fook that im not chucking any of my fancy gear about like that, my hunting .22 gets a bit of grief but the big stuff is gonna stay cossetted.

DP,

These is only one proper way to "break-in" a barrel:

Step 1 - Open the User List up on top.
Step 2 - PM the first 12 users with the most posts
Step 3 - Offer each of them your rifle, plus 100 rds of ammo each that you supply them
Step 4 - Have those good fellas pass your rifle around and after they shoot up your 1200 rounds, they will send your rifle back. Your rifle will now be well "broke in", and you did not have to do any of that pesky shooting.......

Easy.......
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DP,

These is only one proper way to "break-in" a barrel:

Step 1 - Open the User List up on top.
Step 2 - PM the first 12 users with the most posts
Step 3 - Offer each of them your rifle, plus 100 rds of ammo each that you supply them
Step 4 - Have those good fellas pass your rifle around and after they shoot up your 1200 rounds, they will send your rifle back. Your rifle will now be well "broke in", and you did not have to do any of that pesky shooting.......

Easy.......
crazy.gif

</div></div>

OH that will work for sure. The ONLY problem with that idea is that by the time he gets it back it will be a smooth bore......LOL
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please do a search. </div></div>

Mother of God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I see this topic one more time, I'm gonna SNAP! Especially because I DON't believe in "bbl break in" ! Just shoot the rifle.

Brut4c is the only guy on here who can break in a rifle properly...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brut4c is the only guy on here who can break in a rifle properly... </div></div>

That has now been proven., although I'm not so sure about it making the rifle more acurate, but I garenty no more fouling.

No because it is idiocy and not helpful. You all want to post that stupid video then it's on you.

Not trying to be a total asshole by posting the video....I think it is funny, but I truly belive that the barrel break in is completly over rated....I don't want to sound like a kook that says gunsmith's came up with it to sell more barrels sooner but really I have never done any break in other than clean the bore every 200-300 rounds and it still shoots good, could it shoot better if I would have done the break in procedure? Who knows....the people that have done side by side comparisons of broken in and not have seen no difference that was atributed to the break in procedure. Each rifle/barrel shoots different so it is tought to prove it was the break in that caused the difference it accuracy.