• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how to "tame" the recoil on a 300 win mag?

I think there is a video on the APA website showing how well the FB works...you should be gtg.

You could install a mercury recoil reducer in the butt end.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

^^^this^^^

Heavy stock with straight tapper barrel--m40 min....then a good brake.

I have a straight barrel on the way, have a FTE getting cut by LRI right now, barrel will sit on a savage 110 LA and in a Choate Tac stock, which is pretty itself. Hoping this tames it a bit.

What's a muzzle brake?
null_zpsd016d392.jpg

null_zps7af5c1f6.jpg

How to tame the 300WM.....Start by MTFU. It's not that bad.

Man you're just awesome. I'd love to see you shoot a light, unbraked WinMag with spinal degenerative disease and half a dozen bulged discs in your neck and back. Everyone is in the same circumstances right?

To the OP, a suppressor is the best recoil tamer out there. Not to mention the suppression aspect, a little weight added, and in the case of a well made can, accuracy and velocity increase. The downside is that unsuppressed shooting is much less enjoyable after owning a can, which means you won't stop at one.

Agreed but is the op in this situation. If so i would recommend this. If not shoot the gun first a much as you can handle then decide if it needs a brake. If you can put 100 rounds down range in a day with out the brake and beable to be accurate, then dont add un-needed weight to the gun. If you cant handle shooting it with out a brake then it might be a good choice. I have a 300 wm 5r and it doesnt bother me to shoot it and I have no brake.
Man you're just awesome. I'd love to see you shoot a light, unbraked WinMag with spinal degenerative disease and half a dozen bulged discs in your neck and back. Everyone is in the same circumstances right?

To the OP, a suppressor is the best recoil tamer out there. Not to mention the suppression aspect, a little weight added, and in the case of a well made can, accuracy and velocity increase. The downside is that unsuppressed shooting is much less enjoyable after owning a can, which means you won't stop at one.

I have a 700p in 300wm and I use a Little Bastard. It did wonders for the gun. It really is amazing how tame the gun becomes with that brake.

I'm told the Fat Bastard is amazingly effective....and brutal to anyone else on your range.

I'm told the Fat Bastard is amazingly effective....and brutal to anyone else on your range.

This is a great point, and one you rarely with the all too often little bastard recommendation. It should be required that anyone recommending the little bastard add this small statement. Hell, I shot about 5000 rounds of skeet with a semi automatic until someone finally told me that the guy next to me always gets peppered with my empties. I immediately bought a double barrel. It's all about respect to your fellow brothers in arms.

Just had the little jimmy installed on my 110FCP HS, hopefully will be at the range soon. APA recommended it, will be pushing 208 A-maxs and 215 Bergers. I'm to old to take a beating, shooting just a few rounds don't work for me. Slip.

Any brake with a 308+ is brutal to anyone on the immediate L/R. It's just how it is, really.

I don't mind when my neighbor has a brake...It just it was it is.

I've had both a 50 and a 7mm mag with brakes on them that gave me a full bore, screaming headache in less than 5 rounds.

As was said above, I believe shooters have a duty to be respectful of other shooters. At least to warn them of the concussive effects of their braked guns, particularly when shooting at a range, under a roof. Try to access the range on off days when other shooters aren't around, or move as far away from other shooters as possible.

Sucks when you took hours to pack up your gear, drive 100+ miles, etc to shoot, then to have some (typically) pogue yahoo with his braked gun set up next to you with his fifty yard target and table cannon and then blast away until he has beaten you and every one else into submission.

I've had both a 50 and a 7mm mag with brakes on them that gave me a full bore, screaming headache in less than 5 rounds.

As was said above, I believe shooters have a duty to be respectful of other shooters. At least to warn them of the concussive effects of their braked guns, particularly when shooting at a range, under a roof. Try to access the range on off days when other shooters aren't around, or move as far away from other shooters as possible.

Sucks when you took hours to pack up your gear, drive 100+ miles, etc to shoot, then to have some (typically) pogue yahoo with his braked gun set up next to you with his fifty yard target and table cannon and then blast away until he has beaten you and every one else into submission.

I'm in 100% agreement but, like I said, ANYTHING 308 and above, even .223's with brakes, if you're in the next stall, you're going to feel it.

I live in CT where, you have to pin a brake so, when I go shooting, I expect the guy next to me to have a brake.

If I drive to PA to do the Benchrest (4.5 hours) I always expect the guy next to me, to have a brake because who really wants to shoot a 338/300wm without one?

I guess I have a different set of expectations because I live in CT but, I'm not about to hold it against the guy in the stall next to me for not apologizing for his gun...

You can not factor in the "Guy next to me".Everybody needs good hearing protection.If with said gear in place you can't hack it .Take up golf or shoot at a private range.

is there an accepted etiquette for muzzle brakes? this is a serious question, i truly do not know.

may be range/club specific?

Agreed but is the op in this situation. If so i would recommend this. If not shoot the gun first a much as you can handle then decide if it needs a brake. If you can put 100 rounds down range in a day with out the brake and beable to be accurate, then dont add un-needed weight to the gun. If you cant handle shooting it with out a brake then it might be a good choice. I have a 300 wm 5r and it doesnt bother me to shoot it and I have no brake.

I apologize, (seriously) that was a douche move on my part. I probably shouldn't post before noon.

is there an accepted etiquette for muzzle brakes? this is a serious question, i truly do not know.

may be range/club specific?

The following is a generic answer to the issue:

There's basic human decency.

Yes, its to be expected the large caliber rifles will have a brake on them. Its also a good practice to minimize other people's misery when shooting your own big caliber rifle.

But then, I think its rude to blow your cigarette smoke in other peoples faces.

Contrary to what some people think, there IS NO hearing protection that can cancel out the sonic shock wave from a large caliber rifle to the face, neck, head and ears of the guy next to you.

I wouldn't spit on the guy next to me. Why would I be insensitive to assaulting him with the concussion from my gun? (Anyone who's been next to a highly functional brake on a large caliber rifle knows the concussion is a real, tangible thing)

I'm not saying they should be outlawed, or never shot publicly. I'm saying.... be nice. Actively look for ways to be nice. One of those may well be NOT buying the most effective brake (like a Fat Bastard) and taking a little more pounding to your own shoulder, in simple kindness to the guy next to you.

If anyone has a private range, or regularly shoots alone, or is hunting alone, then BY ALL MEANS , get a Fat Bastard, etc.

Last edited:
Just don't come belly down to somebody on the line in a match with your Badger or other big brake and blast away. I had a guy do that and it threw gravel into my objective. I was a little beyond pissed. If somebody else is on the line at a match, politely wait for them to finish. If they lay down next to you and you're there first, roll on.

some brakes are louder than others too. My Savage 110 in .300 win mag has a "mild" (my word) brake with only forward holes (nothing on the sides). It doesn't reduce recoil to the extent of louder designs, but still claims 20-30% recoil reduction. Couple that with a 10lb plus gun, and .300 mag is very doable.

some brakes are louder than others too. My Savage 110 in .300 win mag has a "mild" (my word) brake with only forward holes (nothing on the sides). It doesn't reduce recoil to the extent of louder designs, but still claims 20-30% recoil reduction. Couple that with a 10lb plus gun, and .300 mag is very doable.

The brakes on the 110/10BA le series actually blow back at a more "severe" angle. ~ If you're 2-3 bays down, you'll notice it more then the guy next to you.

I went Surefire for my brakes and the two guys immediately next to me, feel it.

I normally warn them, apologize and apologize some more but, more-often than not, the guy next to me has the 338 so, it's all good.

I do agree w/human decency though -- That's a big deal.

mdmorrow has it right.

You have to pick your poison. A can reduces recoil but adds a lot of length to an already long gun. It also cost 200 bucks months of wait just for the privlege of buying a pretty expensive piece of kit. Also who knows what kind of list Uncle Sam is keeping.

Weight to the gun is less than ideal for most hunting rigs. Not much of an issue for range guns.

Brakes send a hell of a concussion. Not so much to the shooter but if you ever shoot out of a house stand or covered range/ shed it will ring your bell too. I recommend hunting with a product like Walker's Game Ear that gives you protection while hunting and earplugs with muffs on the range. You do need to be respectful of others.

Palehorse68 had a good suggestion with the limb saver. A well fitting stock and limbsaver are probably the best thing that you can do without a major con.

Thanks for the thoughts garandman. I apologize to others for the bit of thread jacking.

Last edited:
The FTE I put on my 8mm Rem Mag did wonders in recoil reduction. As others have noted:
Recoil eliminator = Competitor eliminator A few words to your neighbor before firing is just the polite thing to do.

I took my .338 with a 6 port muscle brake to the range one day and offered people foam ear plugs to wear under their muffs and still sent people packing. It's not so much the noise as it is the concussion. It never bothered me until some guy with a .416 Barrett laid down next to me on the line. It all made sense then :)

I apologize, (seriously) that was a douche move on my part. I probably shouldn't post before noon.

No apology needed. It is the internet and it's damned serious business. Or not. I do understand what you were saying. I, like many others, have certain health issues. We all have to figure out how to work around them. I have bad knees, a back that will be in the condition you spoke of in a few years, and old "Arthur" will be making an appearance sooner or later. For now I shoot a 7 lb. 300 wsm with no muzzle device at all. For the time I can run around 75-100 rounds in a day through it before it becomes unpleasant. In truth, it's never been "pleasant". Fun, but not pleasant.

I bought a .260 barrel a few months back that came with a Little Jimmy.
The 24" M24 profile in a McRees folder has less recoil than an AR-15.
The muzzle blast isn't vicious, but it's noticeable.
I also have an AAC-SD barreled action in an HS Precision stock. I was thinking about taking advantage of the threaded muzzle but the idea of pummeling the guy at the next bench stopped me.

While I was reading this thread I got an idea; the Little Jimmy at it's largest diameter is a straight cylinder. It wouldn't be that hard to make a cover for it that clamps on for those days when the range is full.
I wonder how much the extra weight would affect the barrel harmonics.
Maybe worth a shot (pun intended).

Joe

I guess not many people ever fired a Vulcan or stood next to a tank sending a 120 mm down range.

Funny, Have a pic of a round going down range at Grafenwoehr-M1, taken right next to it, whether I wanted to take it or not when finger is on the shutter. Had to check and make sure my clothes were still on!

Funny, Have a pic of a round going down range at Grafenwoehr-M1, taken right next to it, whether I wanted to take it or not when finger is on the shutter. Had to check and make sure my clothes were still on!

LOL dat's funny

The brakes on the 110/10BA le series actually blow back at a more "severe" angle. ~ If you're 2-3 bays down, you'll notice it more then the guy next to you.

I went Surefire for my brakes and the two guys immediately next to me, feel it.

I normally warn them, apologize and apologize some more but, more-often than not, the guy next to me has the 338 so, it's all good.

I do agree w/human decency though -- That's a big deal.

This one is an aftermarket model I had installed, definitely not anything from the Savage factory. The rifle is the 110 with 24" barrel that comes with the HS Precision stock and no brake.

Badger FTE, makes 338LM pretty pleasant.

+1 to this. I have a Badger FTE on my 300wm Sendero and it works like a charm. I can almost watch the hits on target and do not need any limbsaver stuff. I could shoot about 40 rounds of my 220 SMK running out at about 2840 FPS before I start to feel some pain. Ya might not be much but a 220 SMK pill going that fast will make the rifle buck quite a bit. My rifle has the 26" barrel. Its pretty heavy but to add weight to where it makes the recoil not matter much you will have a bench rifle rather then a precision shooting move around rifle.

Last edited:
Like what was mentioned earlier, when you get it, take it out and shoot it. You may find a break or mercury are unnecessary, I have a 700 300WM in a HS precision stock wit adj. lop and a HEAVY Douglas barrel and was quite surprised how mild the recoil was after MANY telling me it kills on both ends. Maybe the recoil was reduced by overall weight but nonetheless I would love to shoot a light 300WM for comparison.

This is going to sound silly, but I got used to the kick of my .300. Bedded into your shoulder correctly it is more of a violent push than the kick of a light .30-06. I've been kicking around a brake but it would be guilty loud as we shoot under cover over concrete. I would like to have one to bolt on, though, for when the guy with his piddly-assed little .308 sits down next to me with an unneeded brake and starts rapid firing and blowing my eyelashes off...oh, and need I mention the same bozo usually doesn't keep his muzzle off the end of the table? All in fun, I treat my lane as mine and his as his and if I don't like it, I move.

I thought I would add my 2 cents here - I recently put a Vais brake on a Trued/barreled hunting rifle in 300 Win Mag that Long Rifles did for me as part of the group buy. It really tamed the recoil on that gun. However, if you're planning on doing a lot of prone shooting, the Vais is not a good choice because it has holes all the way around.