• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 builds **post them**

For affordable builds, I am very pleased with the accuracy. Trigger modification is easy and IMHO barrels are good enough to burn out before needing to replace if you're just a weekend warrior like me. Boyds stocks, bedded actions, and lightened to 1.5 pound triggers and these are shooters! 6.5 CM in laminate stock, paper shot at 100 yds, last 4 rounds of the day. Camo Setup is in 300WM, 6"x6" steel plate shot at 500 yds, 178g ELDs and H4831
20170508_204119.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
20180903_134734.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg
20190106_105103.jpg

I posted this in another thread because I didn’t realize this was here:

I got my action in an MDT ACC chassis today. @MDT_Josh was a big help through the process. The rifle started life as a Hogue model. How things have changed!
Configuration:
  • Howa 1500 action w/ Tactical Works knob
  • Timney Trigger set to 2lbs
  • Vortex Razor AMG w/ MK lever in Spuhr mount
  • Criterion Tapered Target barrel
  • MDT ACC Chassis in black with the MDT vertical grip
So far, I’ve only dry-fired it from the tripod since it got the ACC (after the Hogue it was in an MDT ESS). I like the vertical grip a lot. The length of the chassis is great, and I love the ARCA rail.

D324A97A-89BB-4030-87B4-C52B95A76356.jpeg

8D240AB4-F8D0-4281-98CE-A38A4B4C71F5.jpeg
5F1FBA36-BEC0-4993-AD4E-BB277C889A10.jpeg
D9070340-B317-418D-9A5C-67A2977BAB27.jpeg

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread because I didn’t realize this was here:

I got my action in an MDT ACC chassis today. @MDT_Josh was a big help through the process. The rifle started life as a Hogue model. How things have changed!
Configuration:
  • Howa 1500 action w/ Tavtical Works knob
  • Timney Trigger set to 2lbs
  • Vortex Razor AMG w/ MK lever in Spur mount
  • Criterion Tapered Target barrel
  • MDT ACC Chassis in black with the MDT vertical grip
So far, I’ve only dry-fired it from the tripod. I like the vertical grip a lot. The length of the chassis is great, and I love the ARCA rail.

View attachment 7015076
View attachment 7015077View attachment 7015078View attachment 7015080

You really need to go shoot this!!!

I picked up a 24” 6.5 Creedmoor from Brownells. I was looking at the B&C varmint/tactical or a krg bravo. Will the end performance of how the rifle shoots be drastically different? Thanks.

I picked up a 24” 6.5 Creedmoor from Brownells. I was looking at the B&C varmint/tactical or a krg bravo. Will the end performance of how the rifle shoots be drastically different? Thanks.

No...

So long as the action mates really good any stock or chassis configuration will bring out the rifles great accuracy. However, in order to have a perfect mate, you may have to have the action bedded into the stock if you go with a stock instead of a chassis.

Reactions: Hallman
No...

So long as the action mates really good any stock or chassis configuration will bring out the rifles great accuracy. However, in order to have a perfect mate, you may have to have the action bedded into the stock if you go with a stock instead of a chassis.

Thanks for the info!

Howa 1500, barreled action (in .308) purchased from Brownell's
Brux 8-twist #3 contour cut to 22" and threaded 9/16-24, chambered in 6mm Creedmoor
Bugnut
Bolt handle threaded by LRI
Glades Armory bolt knob
Factory bottm metal
Factory trigger modded to break ~1.75 pounds
Cerakote (Elite series Concrete) by Alamo Precision
TBAC CB brake/mount
Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in Ripple Timber
DNZ low Hunt Masters rings (coated in Brownell's Aluma-hyde)
Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi
Home-done bedding w/ JB Weld

I had problems ordering a glades armory

Glades Armory bolt knob

Howa 1500, barreled action (in .308) purchased from Brownell's
Brux 8-twist #3 contour cut to 22" and threaded 9/16-24, chambered in 6mm Creedmoor
Bugnut
Bolt handle threaded by LRI
Glades Armory bolt knob
Factory bottm metal
Factory trigger modded to break ~1.75 pounds
Cerakote (Elite series Concrete) by Alamo Precision
TBAC CB brake/mount
Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in Ripple Timber
DNZ low Hunt Masters rings (coated in Brownell's Aluma-hyde)
Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi
Home-done bedding w/ JB Weld

A GLADES ARMORY bolt handle?

When did you ordered this?
Did you have problem with this company lately?

I'm asking because I ordered 2 bolt handle from them last month and still didn't received them…
After 1 week I ordered, I contacted them to an update and they told me it was frequent to wait up to 3 weeks since I'm from Canada and custom could retain the package….
I said OK, but at the forth week, I contacted them and no response then!
So for now I look for people like me who had problems with this company...

Thanks for taking the time to share you experience with this company.

Martin from Québec

I had problems ordering a glades armory

Glades Armory bolt knob

A GLADES ARMORY bolt handle?

When did you ordered this?
Did you have problem with this company lately?

I'm asking because I ordered 2 bolt handle from them last month and still didn't received them…
After 1 week I ordered, I contacted them to an update and they told me it was frequent to wait up to 3 weeks since I'm from Canada and custom could retain the package….
I said OK, but at the forth week, I contacted them and no response then!
So for now I look for people like me who had problems with this company...

Thanks for taking the time to share you experience with this company.

Martin from Québec
I've had the knob on the shelf for awhile now. Unfortunately, the service that you're describing seems to be the experience that most folks are having with Glades these days... which is really unfortunate, because I like their products a lot.

I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks for your reply!
That confirms what I thought.
Have a good day!

OK... Update:

I just received the 2 bolt handles that Glades armory shipped to me 4 weeks ago. (I'm from Canada)
Both are for CZ 455.
I installed one and I can say the machining is not exactly like the original CZ.
I had to file down a little ramp on the handle so my bolt could slide on that ramp and fully open it...
Without that little correction the bolt would cycle but with some grit in it...
It is not perfect but it will do the job.

Should I have paid that little extra to get an anarchy bolt handle? Yes!

Martin from Québec

I've finally narrowed down my budget build to a 6.5 CM barreled action from Brownells and a Benchrest model stock from Richard's. Once I get everything together, I'll post a pic here.

I'd say that would be the ammo of choice. Good shooting. I've got a Bartlein barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor 1/8 twist, 5R, 26" and 3B contour threaded to fit a Howa action. Can't decide which one to tear down and put it on. I've got a 20" HB 308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor with the slim sporter barrel. I like the Howa actions better than the 700's. Longer magazines and the integral recoil lug with the flat bottom. Decisions, decisions.......

I bought my Howa barreled action from brownells.com. It's a .308 with a 24" #6 contour. I have it topped off with a Leupold Mk6 3-18 in Leupold rings and EGW 20 MOA base. It has a PT&G bottom metal that I really like a lot. It extends past the stock about a half inch and you can push against barricades with it. I had a "smith" bed the action in a Bell and Carlson stock he messed up and the barrel isn't straight in the barrel channel but it is free floating. Lastly I had him thread the bolt handle for a tactical knob and it turned out OK at best looks wise. Wasn't happy with his work at all. I recently bought a spring kit from "gunbloke" on ebay. I thought I would like a lighter trigger but turned out I was wrong and already threw the factory springs away?. With that being said I'm not talking down on the springs just my thinking. I get really good results with Magtech CBC Sniper 168gr ammo. For ~$30/50rounds it can't be beat! FGMM is around the 3/4" mark and Prime flirts with MOA. I also get pressure signs with Prime not sure if that's normal. I still have over 2 cases of Prime and I'll buy more once available again as back up. I do reload but 308 isn't my priority when I have time. So far I have around 13-1400 rounds down range with it. I plan to have it rebarreled around the 5k mark with a Bartlein thinking maybe a gain twist but not sure yet. Who knows?!

Attachments

• 20170401_213210.jpg
    20170401_213210.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: stello1001
Here’s my Howa 1500

26” 308
AMTAC Sniper 7.62 reflex suppressor
Steiner P4Xi
ARC rigs
NF 20moa base
PRS gen 3 stock
Atlas bipod
Rattle canned paint job

Here’s my Howa 1500

26” 308
AMTAC Sniper 7.62 reflex suppressor
Steiner P4Xi
ARC rigs
NF 20moa base
PRS gen 3 stock
Atlas bipod
Rattle canned paint job
View attachment 7097600

Did you buy it as an HCR and switch out the butt stock? She's looking real good though. Care to post more pics? Also, wondering why you didn't rattlecan everything else?

Did you buy it as an HCR and switch out the butt stock? She's looking real good though. Care to post more pics? Also, wondering why you didn't rattlecan everything else?

Yes, bought it as an HCR and just added the stock. I didn’t want to spray everything else. It’s more for looks than practical camo. I just thought the chassis alone was a cleaner look than the rifle being painted.

That’s the best picture I have right now. I will upload more later.

Yes, bought it as an HCR and just added the stock. I didn’t want to spray everything else. It’s more for looks than practical camo. I just thought the chassis alone was a cleaner look than the rifle being painted.

That’s the best picture I have right now. I will upload more later.

The first time I rattlecanned mine I only did the chassis itself, no pistol grip, butt stock, action, etc. Then I decided to do the whole thing lol.

Bipod isn't painted in pics but it is now...

20181106_150835.jpg
20181106_151013.jpg

Regardless, I still like the way you did yours. I've kinda had in the back of mind a multicam pattern for mine but actually committed to it. What paint did you use?

The first time I rattlecanned mine I only did the chassis itself, no pistol grip, butt stock, action, etc. Then I decided to do the whole thing lol.

Bipod isn't painted in pics but it is now...

View attachment 7097624View attachment 7097625

Regardless, I still like the way you did yours. I've kinda had in the back of mind a multicam pattern for mine but actually committed to it. What paint did you use?

I used Krylon brand paint. The multicam pattern was done using stick on stencils from freedom stencils. It made the job super easy to do. The whole thing took me an hour.

I like it for positional shooting. I run that rifle in regional PRS/NRL matches.

A while back I almost bought that buttstock for mine. Do you find you like it much better than the luth AR MBA it came with?

If so, what do you think is better on this one?
Curious since I almost did that to mine and maybe I will.

I like it for positional shooting. I run that rifle in regional PRS/NRL matches.

Is there any wiggle or fitment modifications? The grip that came on the rifle is a little loose for some reason even though the bolt is tight.

I don’t dislike the Luth stock, but the XLR is in a different league as far as adjustments etc. plus I needed the weight to balance out the barrel etc. I like the XLR buttstock and have put them on McCree and HCR chassis. It’s solid, feels substantial, and I was able to get a little shorter length of pull for positional positions. There was just a XLR tact lite stock for sale for ludicrous cheap in the EE recently. If you use the bag rider like mine the difference between the two is minimal.

Is there any wiggle or fitment modifications? The grip that came on the rifle is a little loose for some reason even though the bolt is tight.

I have the MPA grip on two of my HCRs, a Ruger RPR 556 trainer rifle, and a Ruger 22RPR I use for 22 matches. They are tight and wobble free on all of them. FYI the grip is molded for the MPA chassis so the lines don’t match perfectly. I don’t care about it, but if it bothers a person it could be blended.

I have two Howa 1500 builds, a 223 and a 6.5 Creedmoor.
The 223 is a 24" varmint in a Bell & Carlson Target/Competition stock, Porter Machine Works (Australian ring maker) rings and did have a PST Gen 2 3-15x44 but now has a Diamondback Tactical 4-16 FFP. It was being used for everything from rabbits, roos and foxes to our local PRS style matches.

The Creedmoor is in an MDT ACC chassis with their vertical grip and interior weight kit. Magpul bipod with Area 419 clamp and barricade stop, Insite Arms Heathen muzzle brake and Shadow Tech sling. I have the the 3-15 PST also in Porter Machine Works rings fitted to this rifle now.

It is shooting the 147 ELD-M at 2700fps pretty well. This was a 10 round group at a recent match, 300m prone with no rear bag and 3 second exposures
shot_1560674429738.jpg
IMG20190309142246.jpg

Yes, bought it as an HCR and just added the stock.

Question on that: I’ve heard that the Magpul PRS stock (being designed for ARs) doesn’t have enough vertical travel on the cheek riser to position your head well when used with a big scope on a bolt rifle. So how’s it working out for you? Enough height on the cheek piece or is it an issue? Thanks!

Get the Bravo. Even if the rifle shoots the same in both, the KRG chassis provides SO MUCH MORE functionality that it's no choice at all.

I've had B&C stocks before, and they have all been replaced by KRG chassis.

I have two Howa 1500 builds, a 223 and a 6.5 Creedmoor.
The 223 is a 24" varmint in a Bell & Carlson Target/Competition stock, Porter Machine Works (Australian ring maker) rings and did have a PST Gen 2 3-15x44 but now has a Diamondback Tactical 4-16 FFP. It was being used for everything from rabbits, roos and foxes to our local PRS style matches.

The Creedmoor is in an MDT ACC chassis with their vertical grip and interior weight kit. Magpul bipod with Area 419 clamp and barricade stop, Insite Arms Heathen muzzle brake and Shadow Tech sling. I have the the 3-15 PST also in Porter Machine Works rings fitted to this rifle now.

It is shooting the 147 ELD-M at 2700fps pretty well. This was a 10 round group at a recent match, 300m prone with no rear bag and 3 second exposures
View attachment 7099920View attachment 7099922

Dude that is SICK!

Question on that: I’ve heard that the Magpul PRS stock (being designed for ARs) doesn’t have enough vertical travel on the cheek riser to position your head well when used with a big scope on a bolt rifle. So how’s it working out for you? Enough height on the cheek piece or is it an issue? Thanks!

This is true. My riser is barely tall enough to make it work. I went with 28mm height ARC rings and probably could’ve gone a little lower which would’ve been a better fit for the riser.

The steiner has a 56mm objective.

I've posted this I've before but I recently put it back in it's B&C M40 stock. It was in an Oryx chassis but something made me want to try a traditional stock again and I am really enjoying it.
20190625_190447(1).jpg

I’ve got mine in a B&C Medalist stock and the only complaint I have is the length of pull

I plan on using mine to hunt with and didn’t want it to look like something from Starwars and be lighter to boot. I’ve got a 6-24 scope on it for load development but going to drop back to a3-12 when I get through.

I've posted this I've before but I recently put it back in it's B&C M40 stock. It was in an Oryx chassis but something made me want to try a traditional stock again and I am really enjoying it.
View attachment 7103286

How do you like the Bell & Carlson M40? I am thinking about getting one for my mini action in 204 now that they are available. I have already changed the bottom "metal" for the DIP Inc version.

I like it just fine. The barrel channel needed some slight sanding at the muzzle end which is why I ended up painting it. I'm 6'2 and it fits me well and the stock is plenty stiff when loading the bipod. For the price, I'm happy with it.

I've decided to build a Howa 1500/KRG bravo. I ordered the KRG bravo in FDE, warne 20moa scope base, AAC muzzle break is on backorder. 6.5CM barreled action will get ordered from brownells when my FFL gets back from vacation. Undecided on scopes. I can get a decent mil discount on Vortex, but I might wait until the 18th for their new product release to come out.

I have a larue/harris bipod that works on 1913 rail. Should I get a mlok 5 segment 1913 rail in metal for it? Or is there a better option for bipod mounting?

Update: barreled action arrived today. Stock tomorrow. A week for the mag well, thanks brownells super-slow-shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I love the Howa’s for the bang for buck value. I have been incredibly pleased with my 6.5 Creed and will finish out what is my first PRS season with mine and next year start with either a custom build on the Ultimatum Deadline action or an AI. But the Howa will always stay as the go to back up or got hunting.

^^^That’s almost my exact build right there, looks great (and inspiring me to finish mine up already). Curious why you’re going the custom route now after one season with it?

^^^That’s almost my exact build right there, looks great (and inspiring me to finish mine up already). Curious why you’re going the custom route now after one season with it?
Cheers mate, it’s definitely a great rifle to shoot and the KRG is damn comfy. Pretty much the only reason I want to upgrade now is to get all the expensive stuff out of the way before I get tied down with other things like a missus ? plus I’d like to cut down on rifles. Sell off 3 or 4 and just have the Howa and a custom gun or an AI AT.

• Haha
Reactions: stilesg57
Has anyone been able to buy just the Howa Action? (Not the barreled actions)

Cheers mate, it’s definitely a great rifle to shoot and the KRG is damn comfy. Pretty much the only reason I want to upgrade now is to get all the expensive stuff out of the way before I get tied down with other things like a missus ? plus I’d like to cut down on rifles. Sell off 3 or 4 and just have the Howa and a custom gun or an AI AT.

HAHAHA I’m in the exact same spot life-wise: getting married next year so I’m getting my “last” couple gun and guitar wants out of the way before the checkbook is shared ?

Ok good to hear it’s not because you hate it or found it glaringly deficient in one way or another. KRG Bravo and a really nice bipod are all I’m waiting on; 26” barreled action in 6.5CM w/home trigger job, Vortex Razor Gen 2, Burris 25 moa rail, and APA little bastard brake are all in the safe already ? Sounds like you’ve enjoyed yours, I’m excited!

Reactions: ddridan