• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hunting carry Sidearm

Rthur

Philomath
Minuteman
  • Apr 16, 2010
    Not Chicago, Illinios
    Being in the grizz woods has caused me to rethink my carry choice.
    I've carried a Springfield XD 40 among the Black bears and cats.
    Never felt under gunned.
    While maybe a mild paranoia I'm thinking a sow grizz and cubs may need more "persuasion".
    Looking at the Smith 329 PD.
    Any thoughts on this specific pistol?

R

I usually carry a G21SF 45acp, definitely not a light as the Smith but not much heavier.
    But if I was in an area with Grizzly bears I would seriously consider the 460 Rowland kit for it or my 1911.
    The biggest negative I could think of with this setup would be the noise from the brake but probably not much worse if any from a short barreled 44mag.
    I would much rather suffer some hearing damage than the alternative, becoming bear shit.

One time we shot an elk that didn't go down. We walked up to him and shot 10 rounds with .40 cal. Not one bullet pierced the hide, just jacked up the meat.

I'd go at least 10mm in a Glock 20. That is under gunned for a Grizzlies. Bullet selection is the upmost importance as well.

I shot my semi auto handguns more accurately rapidly, so I use a Glock 20. But it's hard to beat those big caliber revolvers.. like .44 and up. I just shot them often enough to be comfortable trying to save my life or someone's with them

My thoughts are Smith 329/Buffalo bore 255 reduced recoil.
    These seem to be a solid combination of recoil control and energy.
    This rig would probably be lighter than my current as well.

R

Being in the grizz woods has caused me to rethink my carry choice.
    I've carried a Springfield XD 40 among the Black bears and cats.
    Never felt under gunned.
    While maybe a mild paranoia I'm thinking a sow grizz and cubs may need more "persuasion".
    Looking at the Smith 329 PD.
    Any thoughts on this specific pistol?

R
    I am not a hunter and carry a M&P 340 for cc. Remote and unconcerned about impressions I bought a minty model 28. A combat fighting gun I have confidence in 100%.
    Nice 41mag in the EE right now that would be mine if I needed one.

Reactions: Rthur
    460 S&W, 50 cal Desert Eagle, would be my choice if weight wasn't an issue. 10,45,44 also good choices if you want to go lighter. But anything is better than rocks and harsh language.:)

Reactions: riverside jeep
    rthur i just picked up a 329 and carried it on a hunt in idaho my friend also has one and carried his i carried it in a gunfighters keni chest rig very good combo. the only draw back is if you are not a seasoned handgunner and shoot it with hot loads you will sell it, i suggest shooting one first if you can but it is the cats ass to carry. i also have a freedom arms 454 that would have been my first choice if i knew their were grizz bears in the area i was but they said they havent seen them their for 20 years.

I just ordered an EAA P Match Pro in 10mm to hunt with, will probably go with Underwood for ammunition, they offer traditional HPs, and hard cast if you need the penetration. The Match Pro is SA/DA, but you could go with the P Match which is SAO. If you want to spend a little more the Sig 220 10mm, or the EAA Hunter, or Stock III might appeal to you. Of course there are alot options with the 1911 type guns in 10mm.

I live in an area of Montana where hunters and grizzlies encounter each other on a regular basis. The prevailing thought is that a 44 mag is the smallest handgun caliber to consider. The experienced hunters and outfitters that I know have almost universally started to carry bear spray plus or minus a handgun. The ranchers I know who are in grizzly territory and on rare occasion lose a calf carry a shotgun with a slug.

ide take a look at the S&W 69.

Get the 329 pd like you want then unwatch this thread . A lot of great knowledge on the hide. None having to do with handguns .

• Haha
    Reactions: jff_stvns
    Get the 329 pd like you want then unwatch this thread . A lot of great knowledge on the hide. None having to do with handguns .
    oooor you can not listen to the guy whos only been here for 4 months thats trying to tell you about the collective knowledge of the hide.....

there are some very knowledgeable people here in all facets of shooting.

oooor you can not listen to the guy whos only been here for 4 months thats trying to tell you about the collective knowledge of the hide.....

I would ask them to join now. Please.

Bears, Bears and more Bears!

I have 2 handgun rigs, both are carried in one of Von Ringler’s Wyoming holsters. Ruger Toklat .454 Casull with BB Super Heavy 360 LBT’s or Ruger Alaskan stubby 44 mag BB 320 LBT’s.

Even with either of those I would hate to go up against one these creatures. They are amazingly quick, unpredictable and strong.

In my immediate vicinity we kill a few to several a year and a few people get torn up or even die.

I prefer my 870 with Brenneke slugs or my AR10.

The thing about a semi auto handgun is you press the flesh and you are likely to go out of battery.

Most likely if I don’t have a significant long gun to do the job - the bear on me and I at least want the chance to pump a few into him while he is busy ripping me up.

047D5A24-ED1F-465D-ADD3-55D6562CE447.jpeg

go be a fucking moron somewhere else.
    You’re energy could be spent helping people in need. It seems you have a lot of it. Someone out there would really appreciate it. But that person is not me. Have a good thanksgiving man.

You’re energy could be spent helping people in need. It seems you have a lot of it. Someone out there would really appreciate it. But that person is not me. Have a good thanksgiving man.

If your MO is to troll longer standing members and then report them for abuse when you get told to fuck off, don't bother posting in the what I want for Christmas thread.

And well beyond. I am often surprised at the depth of knowledge here in almost every facet of life.

Reactions: MtnCreek and bobke
    I moticed the title is hunting sidearm. I take it you are asking about a sidearm to go along with your rifle. I aint laying a rifle down to pull a sidearm if Bear trouble. Now protection around camp is a diff subject. I have been Elk huntn 1 time. Too much effort and work. I didnt want to carry anything that was not absolutely neccessary.

I think you have to go 10mm or something in the .44 mag range minimum. I did a G21 with a 460 Rowland conversion due to rounds available (13 +1 vs 6) and the fact that I can run a semi pretty decent as far as malfunctions and reloads.

I agree with above most from DRV about muzzle pressure putting gun out of battery. Its a choice to make.

In my G21 .460 I run 200 gr solid extreme penetrators at 1500 fps. 14 of t hose will do something. mostly make my hand sting and my ears ring.....

Rthur that 629 looks pretty darn good. I'm too much of a pussy to practice with something like that though....... My G21 runs standard 45 hard cast loads no prob with aftermarket barrel so I can practice the gun a lot and reloading 460 Rowland is pretty cheap with 200 gr Hornaday (yes, I spelled it that way....) XTP for practice with full recoil loads.
    A guy where I shoot weekly has a nice blue steel and wood grip S&W mountain gun in .44 mag. Not light and dang is it a fine looking piece. Would be easy to shoot too.....

Buffalo Bore makes a 9mm hard cast for this application.

Alaskan guide Phil Shoemaker (458Win on 24hourcampfire) shot a charging griz with this load out of a Glock 43 and killed the bear.

Don’t change equipment for specialized applications. Change ammo to meet the requirement.

IMHO, when the shit is in the fan is the wrong time for your muscle memory to have to change to fit a new weapon platform.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

Last edited:
    Like Detroitrearview I live and hunt in the middle of Grizzly country and have had many encounters including very, very close encounters. I started with the SW 329PD titanium and it was great to carry but extremely difficult to shoot fast and accurate with heavy loads. Last year I just carried my G19 and I had a close encounter which made me really regret that choice quickly(see pic below).
    Now I run a Glock G40MOS 10mm with 16rds of 220gr hard cast in a platform that i'm really really comfortable on.
    Bear 17-1.jpg

Like Detroitrearview I live and hunt in the middle of Grizzly country and have had many encounters including very, very close encounters. I started with the SW 329PD titanium and it was great to carry but extremely difficult to shoot fast and accurate with heavy loads. Last year I just carried my G19 and I had a close encounter which made me really regret that choice quickly(see pic below).
    Now I run a Glock G40MOS 10mm with 16rds of 220gr hard cast in a platform that i'm really really comfortable on.
    View attachment 6976129

DAMN!!! Never seen one up close just black bears.
    That's alot of fire power but would still be nervous about it, a pissed off grizzly in my mind would be like shooting a dump truck with a 22lr.

Reactions: SporterII
    The point was, use a platform you're familiar with, because, if you can't aim and get shots downrage accurately, then the big hole in the bore gives you no advantage, and is really a disadvantage.

I'm a Glock guy, so any Glock with a suitable bullet and bore size would work for me. I don't live in Alaska anymore (three years in the interior and three near Anchorage), so my big gun is Glock 17 stocked with hardcast ammo when I'm in the field near bears.

rthur i just picked up a 329 and carried it on a hunt in idaho my friend also has one and carried his i carried it in a gunfighters keni chest rig very good combo. the only draw back is if you are not a seasoned handgunner and shoot it with hot loads you will sell it, i suggest shooting one first if you can but it is the cats ass to carry. i also have a freedom arms 454 that would have been my first choice if i knew their were grizz bears in the area i was but they said they havent seen them their for 20 years.
    I've heard the recoil can be substantial if full tilt loads are used in this pistol.
    Buffalo bore has a 255 reduced recoil that is supposed to be much more user friendly.

R

I moticed the title is hunting sidearm. I take it you are asking about a sidearm to go along with your rifle. I aint laying a rifle down to pull a sidearm if Bear trouble. Now protection around camp is a diff subject. I have been Elk huntn 1 time. Too much effort and work. I didnt want to carry anything that was not absolutely neccessary.
    Hauling a stick and string for primary weapon.

R

View attachment 6976129
    That's entirely to F'in close.
    I've been a little tight on black bear sow and cub, brings energy to the end of the day.

R

If you're going to run reduced recoil you might as well not run a 44 and run a 10mm with 16 rds instead of only 5
    This is the debate I'm having with myself.
    According to BB the above load is still at 1k energy at the muzzle.
    Their 10mm is around 700.
    It's really between the sig 10mm and this Smith.
    It would be easier if the weight was closer.
    Sig 39 oz plus 8 rounds
    Smith 25 oz plus 6 rounds.
    I've handled the glock, not a platform I'm used to.
    I like SAO on my semis.
    I may be overthinking this as well.

R

It really comes down to penetration, penetration is king when it comes to stopping a bear. When I had the debate with myself I'd much rather have 16 220gr hard cast to send down range accurately as fast as I can pull the trigger, than 5 rounds with extreme uncontrollable recoil.

I would advise finding someone that has a 329pd and shooting it with full power loads before buying one or buying a steel framed 44/454 that is more controllable but much heavier to carry.

It really comes down to penetration, penetration is king when it comes to stopping a bear. When I had the debate with myself I'd much rather have 16 220gr hard cast to send down range accurately as fast as I can pull the trigger, than 5 rounds with extreme uncontrollable recoil.

I would advise finding someone that has a 329pd and shooting it with full power loads before buying one or buying a steel framed 44/454 that is more controllable but much heavier to carry.

This.

Rthur

Just to add;
    I have shot several large bore steel revolvers from 3” .44 mag to a 6” .475 Linebaugh running a 400 gr bullet at 1400 fps.
    Also have ran a mag or 5 through a 10mm and of course my 460.

None bothered me.

A Smith airweight .357 with basic Winchester white box .357 loads sucked Imao.

I agree with wyofox about trying one if you can.

I like SAO though I worried about my ability to run my 1911 (first pistol I got a 460 kit for) in extreme circumstances so built a Glock.
    Come on out to Denver and I will have some rounds loaded up and you can try both!
    A 230 gr bullet at 1350fps has right near 1k ft lbs of energy out of it.

Although I don’t tarry in bear country I recently got a 2-5/8” barreled 629PC which comes in just shy of 40 oz. Replaced the stock wood grips with Pachmayr Diamond Pro rubbers and its very enjoyable to shoot .44spl - then it gets exciting with .44mag. So at least for me shooting a full power bear load from a 25oz. 329pd would be near unbearable. Good thing is with a .44mag you could do some of your training with .44spc loads.

I often carry a G20 with DT 200 gr WFNGC solids when hog hunting and it’s probably my favorite pistol to shoot - just an awesome caliber in a great platform. More than sufficient for TX critters but whether it’s up to snuff for grizz IDK I’ll leave that to more knowledgeable folks here.

I give a vote for the Ruger Alaskan in a .454, I’ve had mine for about 10 years and don’t go hunting without it- weather I’m archery or rifle hunting. I feel with 1 well placed shot it would do its job at immobilizing a charging Bruin. If I have the chance to pull it out that is... I had a custom holster made and it’s very comfortable, I shoot the hsm bear loads in 325 grains . Not going to lie about the recoil it’s not a picnic but it’s very manageable, i shoot it a lot to stay in tune with it. Even my dad who has had 2 wrist surgeries bought one and loves it.
    Bottom line is these bears are fast and aggressive and I feel a little better with it on my side . I have had to pull it out once on a bluff charge and I felt confident I could end the discussion with it.

Reactions: Fongman
    Rthur

Just to add;
    I have shot several large bore steel revolvers from 3” .44 mag to a 6” .475 Linebaugh running a 400 gr bullet at 1400 fps.
    Also have ran a mag or 5 through a 10mm and of course my 460.

None bothered me.

A Smith airweight .357 with basic Winchester white box .357 loads sucked Imao.

I agree with wyofox about trying one if you can.

I like SAO though I worried about my ability to run my 1911 (first pistol I got a 460 kit for) in extreme circumstances so built a Glock.
    Come on out to Denver and I will have some rounds loaded up and you can try both!
    A 230 gr bullet at 1350fps has right near 1k ft lbs of energy out of it.
    Have some time on the large frame smiths, rugers.
    I'm trying to come up with the total package as in readily at hand while I'm with pack and bino harness for easy access
    and shoot ability.
    My reasoning for the Sig in semi is my USPSA rig is a Sig X5.
    Familiarity for the sig platform is a plus.
    Think I'm going to check with the local ranges and see if the 329 is available to shoot with chosen loads to check the recoil.
    The 10mm I'm sure isn't to much on the recoil department.

R

I had a 329PD and while I loved the gun, it was a bitch to shoot with full power loads. I wouldn't count on follow ups. It was worse than my 8" 500 S&W and my buddies 4". If I essentially had to carry a handgun that the first shot had to count it would probably be a 500.

I'm with the others on the 10mm though. I've got a G40 MOS and even with hot underwood loads it's controllable. It's gets your attention but recoils entirely differently that the revolver and stays on target much better. If I had to carry a pistol in bear country this would be it, but I'd still rather have my Benelli M4 loaded with slugs.

Reactions: TACC and Rthur
    Glock 20 with 220 hard cast buffalo bore or 230 hard cast double tap. The 230 DT has a wider meplat so that would be my first choice. This isn't about how much recoil one can tolerate so much as it's about rounds on target. I have owned all the big bore revolvers and could tolerate the recoil on any of them, however in a test on a medium size target 8 yards away when I emptied the cylinder I had one round on target. Same test with the Glock 20 had every round on target. One round on target is pretty bad when I'm not shitting my pants.

I carry 200 gr XTP's that I load at 1400 fps through my 5.25" KKM barrel. I'm around black bear country but no grizzly/browns to worry about. Hard cast is what you need for penetration. And if one is close enough for hair/blood to cause my slide to be out of battery then hopefully I still have use of my arms to access the 10" blade I have on my side.

Reactions: jmb1911
    I have carried the 329 pd in 44 mag for the last 9 years during archery season. It is perfect for this application imho.
    You can find them in 41 mag and 357 if you want less power/recoil.
    Yes, of course it has very sharp recoil with heavy loads. This is not a range toy, it is a life insurance policy.

Reactions: Novak77 and Rthur
    I went through this last year and ended up with a 10mm 1911 and a smith m69. I really like the m69. Factory grips are terrible. Went with pachmayer diamonds and love the gun. I plan on working up some cast loads to duplicate the buffalo bore load and rocking on. We don't have grizzly here but there was a 780lb black bear killed last week. The 10mm is loaded with 180fmjs and 180 hst handloads that are pretty hot. Once I figure out some mags that hold the slide back this one will ride on my hip some.

I went through this last year and ended up with a 10mm 1911 and a smith m69. I really like the m69. Factory grips are terrible. Went with pachmayer diamonds and love the gun. I plan on working up some cast loads to duplicate the buffalo bore load and rocking on. We don't have grizzly here but there was a 780lb black bear killed last week. The 10mm is loaded with 180fmjs and 180 hst handloads that are pretty hot. Once I figure out some mags that hold the slide back this one will ride on my hip some.

Glock 10rd magazine with extra power mag spring and 24lb Wolff recoil spring with stainless guide rod. 11 rds of hard cast you can shoot accurately is still a better option than a wheel gun imo.

Reactions: TACC
    I give a vote for the Ruger Alaskan in a .454, I’ve had mine for about 10 years and don’t go hunting without it- weather I’m archery or rifle hunting... Not going to lie about the recoil it’s not a picnic but it’s very manageable, i shoot it a lot to stay in tune with it. .

Shooting it a lot is really the key. I owned the same Ruger for years, but never felt comfortable with it. I just never shot it enough, so sold it. The fireball at night has entertainment value :)

Now own a G20 with Underwood 220gr hardcast. And I feel at home every time I shoot it.