• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting Rifle Scope Inquiry-300WSM

McNabb

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2003
NOVA
I've got a Christensen Arms 300WSM built on a Browning A-Bolt Action, and I'm in the stages of considering my scope choices.

Not weight is a factor, that's why I have the Carbon wrapped barrel and synthetic stock, but it's not the primary factor.

I'm looking for a versitile scope, as versitile as the rifle is. I plan on using this as my go 2 rifle for all hunting from VA to the Rockies.

I have considered the following Scopes and would like your feedback/input as to magnification, weight, durability and Reticle choice (ranging and non-ranging):

IOR 2.5-10 FFP MP-8
IOR 2.5-10 SFP MP-8
IOR 2-12x32 MP-8, my only issue with this is I hate the occular lense illumination knob (I buy it in a heartbeat if it came non-illuminated)
IOR 3-18x42 Snipers Hide Version
NF NXS 2-10x24
USO 3-17 variant

Thanks for the info.....

Re: Hunting Rifle Scope Inquiry-300WSM

Schmidt Bender 4–16x42 PM II LP Gen II XL MRAD Single Turn

SRP041642-BGXLSC.jpg

Try EuroOptics LTD

NF & USO are great scopes,Do not over look Leupold because they make a very good scope.

Loved the fact that you PM'd me and couldn't like the realities.

THAT will be hard to top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOBODY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loved the fact that you PM'd me and couldn't like the realities.

THAT will be hard to top. </div></div>

Your suggestions were?

I have a custom savage 16 weather warrior in .325WSM wearing a Leupold VX-L in 3-10x50. I absolutely love the scope. The glass and big objective really light things up. Also the extreme low profile mount allow a big objective to sit close to the bore. Wish I would have bought the 4.5-14 but otherwise very happy with it. There are many different variants with target turrets and ele adjustment knobs. hth

For the Record....Nobody's comments were basically that I had chosen a poor action (A-Bolt) and that the Barrel (Christensen) was just as poor and that I should scrap the entire project and go with something all together different.

While I don't agree with him, my main issue was that he decided to jump on my thread to bash my platform choices and not provide me with any information toward a scope choice.

I can accept reality, and you have your opinion on platforms as I know there are others out there who stand behind the A-Bolt and Christensen Barrels...As I stated in the PM, I'm not a professional hunter, Sniper, or expert marksman. Just looking for a nice piece of glass to compliment the platform I already have without throwing out the baby with the bath water-so to speak.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes and I asked for input....On a scope that is... not on his perfect choice for an action/barrel combination.

Thanks to all who have provided feedback pertaining to their scopes of choice and why.

Reactions: AndyC

Excellent point McNabb. Btw, your platform may not be competition level but guess what, your hunting with it! My savage won't group for shit at a thousand, but it ain't supposed to either! There is nothing wrong with your set up for your mission. Good luck!

I have a Christensen arms 7wsm with a krieger 11 twist wrapped barrel 26" on a m70 with jewel trigger and edge stock. Mine shoots 140gr tripple shocks with a dose of MRP really really good at almost 3400fps and wears a S and B Zenith 3-12 with the #9 reticle.

do you have to have a "tactical" scope? I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-24x44 and LOVE it! My IOR 4-14x50 is arriving tomorrow and will compare them when it starts to get a lil dark and post results. But, the vortex are really good glass, and good construction and theres some diff. mag ranges i lil more big game hunting firendly than my 6.5-24

The A-bolt is a great hunting rifle. I have a stainless stalker in 300 WSM also, and I've been shooting an elk with it every year. The only thing better is the X-bolt because you can open the bolt with the safety on. I use an ordinary $300 2.5-10 Nikon with the BDC reticle because I don't want to worry about beating it up in the woods.

From your list I would choose the 2-12 IOR because it has all the features I want. Great power range(I like 2x at the low end for when you're in the woods), capped turrets that won't move when you rub them on things hiking around, super optics, reasonable weight, fast focus eyepiece, great reticle, very well built with repeatable precise turrets, and even though I've never shot anything at dusk, I wouldn't kick it out for being illuminated. Every IOR I've ever owned has been great.

I have a browning A-bolt in 280, and it is still probably my favorite all around hunting rifle. It is very accurate and and light in weight.
In terms of scope choices, I would look at leupold as well. They (VX-3s) tend to be lighter in weight than most. I put a VX-3 3.5-10x40 on my A Bolt mainly for that reason. I have shot it out to 600 yards quite a bit, and that combo works great.

I have a Leupold 4.5x14x40 on mine and shoot to a 1000 without issues. The power range works well for hunting and have made shots to 500 yds when conditions were right.

If I had to do it again, I would buy something in a mil-mil FFP with an illuminated reticle.

So the gun is going to be put in a case, handed to the TSA to screw around with, then given to the ramp apes at the airport, trudged up the mountain to shoot the Bull elk of a lifetime?

US Optics would be my only choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 year old thread... imagine he bought a scope by now..
smile.gif
</div></div>

One never can tell. Some people are really deliberate in their decision making.
smile.gif

Personally for hunting my favorite scope is the Vortex 4-16 HSLR. It performs well for the cost. And has enough magnification for big game to 1000 yards if needed. Can't go wrong with NF also

I know it's an old thread, but of those listed I'd opt for the NF 2.5-10. I have an IOR 3.5-18x50 and while it's a good scope, it's too damn heavy for a dedicated hunting rifle IMO. I think the Vortex Razor LH 3-15, NF F1 SHV 4-14, Bushnell LRHS 3-12, MK6 3-18, and then the AMG 6-24 would all make for a nice hunting set up.