• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting/Tactical Pack

Sniper Uncle

Patriot Marksman Trainee
Minuteman
Hey Guys,
Looking for input and ideas on a good Back Pack for hunting etc.
I want it to be able to hold a fair amount of gear/game, and be capable of quite a bit of weight---as in 100# or so for packing out game if it comes to it. External frame type is an option, as well as good internal frame type, as long as some sort of ventilation channels are provided between the pack and my back.
I have looked at Cabela's, and really like one option that was on a pack, where there were two sections staked one behind the other, with a pass through in between where you could pack your rifle in a vertical position. I like this idea, but am not totally sold on it.
I also like the idea of the military style setups where there are the 1" nylon straps in rows around the pack for all the optional add on mag-holders, canteens, and other various packs and pouches that can be custom added and changed to suit "mission" needs.
Please feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions on this matter. If there is some sort of pack that fits both ideas, I'd love to hear about it. Also, I'd like negative feed back if you have it, and your reasons why. You may have thoughts and opinions that I haven't thought on.
Welcome to the free-for-all!
Thanks for your input,
Tim

Look at the Eberlestock packs. I have the X2 that I use for hunting and they make very nice and well built packs of all types.

eberlestock - no question. i like my gunslinger 2 for exactly those reasons that you give.

if in doubt, call ceylon here in the forums. i'm sure he'll not only answer all your questions but ship the desired pack to you in no time ...

Eberlestock makes several models that would fulfill your wants/needs nicely! Which is "best" is going to depend on personal preferences, budget, etc. Here are a few to consider:

--J51 Warhammer;
--F52 Jackhammer;
--M5 Team Elk;
--J107 Dragonfly;

There are other packs in their lineup that could work as well, depending on your feature & design preferences. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss your options.

You'll get some great advice from the membership here too! There is a vast amount of real world knowledge & experience with the 'Hide crew.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

We do 10-day, 15 miles-in expedition hunts with only what we can put in our packs. My Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 is great, but I've used an Osprey Aether 85 backpack for the last 3 years; it is THE best expedition back I've ever used. Lightweight, the suspension system is second-to-none and has swallowed and carried 100+lbs of gear/meat without a problem. Check it out.

We do 10-day, 15 miles-in expedition hunts with only what we can put in our packs. My Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 is great, but I've used an Osprey Aether 85 backpack for the last 3 years; it is THE best expedition back I've ever used. Lightweight, the suspension system is second-to-none and has swallowed and carried 100+lbs of gear/meat without a problem. Check it out.

Thanks, that's a nice looking pack, but what do you do with your rifle?

Eberlestock makes several models that would fulfill your wants/needs nicely! Which is "best" is going to depend on personal preferences, budget, etc. Here are a few to consider:

--J51 Warhammer;
--F52 Jackhammer;
--M5 Team Elk;
--J107 Dragonfly;

There are other packs in their lineup that could work as well, depending on your feature & design preferences. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss your options.

You'll get some great advice from the membership here too! There is a vast amount of real world knowledge & experience with the 'Hide crew.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Thanks, Ceylon, I am currently looking very hard at the G4 Operator, as it will hold a 60" rifle. I like the J107M also, but not sure how long a rifle that will comfortably hold. Too many decisions to make!!. I am wondering the best way to add on to the G4? I guess by getting the strap-on packs. I wish they were a little cheaper--the add-ons, I mean.....

If you plan on carrying in the neighborhood of 100# there is really only one option, Gregory Denali Pro. I used, tested and sold just about all brands of packs and received feedback from dozens of guides and this is the pack for toting the heaviest weights and odd sized kit; firewood, 5 gal jugs of Blazo, moose 5ths, whole sheep and goats, plane parts, cabin kit, etc. and as been used to tote people down off the hill. This is primary a military sight and most of your suggestions will be along that line but while other packs can do it and they will continue to be used, the Denali Pro has no equal and once anyone uses one to tote odd sized, massive and heavy loads, they have no idea on just why the Denali can support these type of loads. Daisy chains or PALS/Molle is on most packs but in a back country environment, anything and everything that is lashed to the outside of the pack will snag or shift causing even more suffering. I had guides who used Dana, Mystery Ranch, Lowe, name it and once I got them into a Denali Pro, they never went back to those lessor packs.

The stays are physically bolted to the hard ABS plastic waist belt so more weight is transferred and supported on the waist, no shifting of the stays with heavy loads, the hard plastic in the waist belt with super dense foam does not deform and roll under massive weight like the other packs soft gooey waist belts are the simple main reason why these packs can support a massive over sized load. Everything about it was designed to carry massive loads, its a guides pack not your average weekend user pack while the other packs are designed to look good with design terms that sound good to the average user.

Another option is a freighters pack and while these will tote massive and odd things, they are not as comfy for long hauls with heavy loads.

Outside of that, learn to pack a backpack correctly. Most users just throw kit in and bounce to the back country.

If you plan on carrying in the neighborhood of 100# there is really only one option, Gregory Denali Pro. I used, tested and sold just about all brands of packs and received feedback from dozens of guides and this is the pack for toting the heaviest weights and odd sized kit; firewood, 5 gal jugs of Blazo, moose 5ths, whole sheep and goats, plane parts, cabin kit, etc. and as been used to tote people down off the hill. This is primary a military sight and most of your suggestions will be along that line but while other packs can do it and they will continue to be used, the Denali Pro has no equal and once anyone uses one to tote odd sized, massive and heavy loads, they have no idea on just why the Denali can support these type of loads. Daisy chains or PALS/Molle is on most packs but in a back country environment, anything and everything that is lashed to the outside of the pack will snag or shift causing even more suffering. I had guides who used Dana, Mystery Ranch, Lowe, name it and once I got them into a Denali Pro, they never went back to those lessor packs.

The stays are physically bolted to the hard ABS plastic waist belt so more weight is transferred and supported on the waist, no shifting of the stays with heavy loads, the hard plastic in the waist belt with super dense foam does not deform and roll under massive weight like the other packs soft gooey waist belts are the simple main reason why these packs can support a massive over sized load. Everything about it was designed to carry massive loads, its a guides pack not your average weekend user pack while the other packs are designed to look good with design terms that sound good to the average user.

Another option is a freighters pack and while these will tote massive and odd things, they are not as comfy for long hauls with heavy loads.

Outside of that, learn to pack a backpack correctly. Most users just throw kit in and bounce to the back country.
Nice pack, but no place for a 60" rifle. I am a veteran back packer, and have a large external frame pack, which I have used with 110+ pounds packed in it. I am aware of the principles of packing a pack. If properly done, add-on packs can work very well and not be in the way that much. You also have to know what to put in them to distribute your weight correctly.
Thanks very much for the input, though,
tim

Been through this and have run a few packs. For me nothing beats an Eberlestock J107 or J107M. The 107M has a larger scabbard for tactical style rifles. Add a camp spike duffel to it and it hauls more than I am willing to lug very far.

Last edited:
Been through this and have run a few packs. For me nothing beats an Eberlestock J107 or J107M. The 107M has a larger scabbard for tactical style rifles. Add a camp spike duffel to it and it hauls more than I am willing to lug very far.

Good info, thanks. Would the 107M be able to handle a 60" rifle with a big scope on it, do you think? Can a cover be bought for the top of the rifle pocket like is on the G4 operator?
Thanks again,
Tim

The J107M scabbard WILL accomodate a weapon up to 60" in length. You'll want to add a JSTC Scabbard Butt Cover to give cover & protection to the section of the rifle that protrudes over the top of the pack.

Of note, the width of the scabbard on the J107M is 9", which is one inch more narrow than that of the G4 Operator.

Hope this helps & ask if you need further info or clarification.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

The J107M scabbard WILL accomodate a weapon up to 60" in length. You'll want to add a JSTC Scabbard Butt Cover to give cover & protection to the section of the rifle that protrudes over the top of the pack.

Of note, the width of the scabbard on the J107M is 9", which is one inch more narrow than that of the G4 Operator.

Hope this helps & ask if you need further info or clarification.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Big help, thank you. I think I can figure it out from here.

Just got my eberlestock g4 operator pack today and I am very impressed with it, the quality is superb, I put my 700 and a couple other things in it for a little weight and walked about 3 miles with it and it is very comfortable. I'm new to the larger pack thing and this is my first but from what I have seen so far I have to give eberlestock another vote

Kifaru. I've had gregories and eberlestock. Finally took the plunge 5 years ago and they are excellent. Check out their forums and learn about them. Warning you though, they are addictive.

Top right there is search function. Type in Mystery Ranch and you will get numerous threads about MR vs Eberstock packs.

Ive tried multiple of both and MR wins every time, at least what I and my team needed in Astan. YMMV

A lot of the pics are missing from the threads, so if you want the pics of us carrying an injured Afghan down the mountain in a MR or us training to use the MR with myself being carried in the Overload, you will have to ask and I'll dig them back out for you.

Last edited:
I have a mystery ranch and its top notch. Hauls a ton, great quality, and super comfortable too.

Eberlestock X3 LoDrag. I absolutely love this pack. If I had to buy another pack it would be another Eberlestock X3 LoDrag. I bought mine, from Ceylon. Great customer service and an all around nice guy. This is one of those rare things where you really can't go wrong.

I recommend Mystery Ranch. I tried a lot of packs including Eberlestock, and my opinion Mystery Ranch makes the best quality packs.

Using a Mystery Ranch with a scabbard added on. This is a best quality, US built pack. Used it to pack out elk 1/4'ers last Jan. Impressive. I have also used a Denali Pro (borrowed, hated the color) another pack in the same quality of build class. You could carry way more than you should in either.

Check out mystery ranch, iv used eberlestock and they can not compare to mystery ranch. ESPECIALLY WITH BODY ARMOR, I own this bag and it's small compared to a lot of bag's but you can fit a lot of stuff inside and keep it very organized http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/3-day-assault-bvs-pack

Iv owned the halftrack and the terminator by eberlestock. Both good bag's but there frame system is cheap and a pain in the ass. I shouldn't have to bend metal rod's to make them fit to my back/armor. http://eberlestock.com/F4 Terminator.htm http://eberlestock.com/Halftrack Backpack.htm .

But I did carry my eberlestock terminator on a 3 day air assault with an upper of a m107 barrett (my shooter had the lower and a m2010) my loadout on the bag was around 115-120 lb's. It sucked especially with body armor and all the other stuff i had on that but it was do able. If eberlestock stepped up there frame's they would be a lot better IMO.

Last edited:
I really like my Eberlestock pack for short hunts and using it in competition, but would not consider them for long hunts especially if moisture is involved. My buddy took a G2 with us to Alaska and he was miserable after day one. They soak up and retain too much moisture. They are a little on the heavy side to begin with. After the entire packs becomes wet it's not much fun. We have had better luck with the Mystery Ranch packs.

Thanks All, I can't afford any pack right now, so I guess I have time to keep thinking it over. I just am not sure I like the way you carry a rifle in the Mystery Ranch. I kinda like the Eberlestock better for that. But, then, if the frame isn't as good and it soaks up water, That's not too good either. There is always Camp Dry Spray, so the water issue could be solved....

Too many Decisions!!!!!

I own a MR, and have used a borrowed eberlestock. I was afraid to reply as I ruffled quite a few feathers in another pack thread when I said the nice frame was far and above the eberlestock setup, but thats just my opinion. The cost difference is considerable, as the MR packs for the most part are about double the cost. You can get a nice pack elsewhere for the cost of a bare MR frame, but the value is there. If you can't justify spending $700 on a pack, the eberlestocks are a GREAT value for what you get. I will be ordering 1 or 2 of those soon for my son as he is a bit too careless with stuff to justify the MR cost. As far as weapons carry goes, with the overload you just get a scabbard that fits your rifle, and it will haul absolutely any gun you could imagine. With a short scabbard I can carry an AR with a 30 round mag loaded. Or 2 ARs. Or a mortar tube. Or whatever you can strap to it. This is the only video I can find that properly shows how it works:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/02/22/go-ahead-overload-it/

I own a MR, and have used a borrowed eberlestock. I was afraid to reply as I ruffled quite a few feathers in another pack thread when I said the nice frame was far and above the eberlestock setup, but thats just my opinion. The cost difference is considerable, as the MR packs for the most part are about double the cost. You can get a nice pack elsewhere for the cost of a bare MR frame, but the value is there. If you can't justify spending $700 on a pack, the eberlestocks are a GREAT value for what you get. I will be ordering 1 or 2 of those soon for my son as he is a bit too careless with stuff to justify the MR cost. As far as weapons carry goes, with the overload you just get a scabbard that fits your rifle, and it will haul absolutely any gun you could imagine. With a short scabbard I can carry an AR with a 30 round mag loaded. Or 2 ARs. Or a mortar tube. Or whatever you can strap to it. This is the only video I can find that properly shows how it works:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/02/22/go-ahead-overload-it/

Thanks, I am talking a 60" Rem700P-338LM, that weighs in at over 20 pounds----so you see, I am being a little fussy, cause I don't want a scabbard hanging off one side......

Yes, centered up is the way to go, I also like the fact I can set the pack down on the ground with a rifle in it upright.

Thanks All, I can't afford any pack right now, so I guess I have time to keep thinking it over. I just am not sure I like the way you carry a rifle in the Mystery Ranch. I kinda like the Eberlestock better for that. But, then, if the frame isn't as good and it soaks up water, That's not too good either. There is always Camp Dry Spray, so the water issue could be solved....

Too many Decisions!!!!!

Have you looked at the weapons carry model in the military portion of Mystery Ranches website? It is similar to the Eberlestock except it holds the rifle at an angle.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/weapons-carry-packs/nice-overload-3zip-bvs-pack

Have you looked at the weapons carry model in the military portion of Mystery Ranches website? It is similar to the Eberlestock except it holds the rifle at an angle.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/weapons-carry-packs/nice-overload-3zip-bvs-pack

Thank you, I have. What I didn't like in theory is that the rifle was just strapped to to pack/frame, not enclosed. I guess if I had a scabbard that fit the rifle, this issue could be solved. Again, too many decisions!!!

Same vote you are in sniper uncle.So far I am leaning to the Eberlestock J34 for my Colorado hunt this year.I like the idea of my rifle being in a scabbard in the middle of my back.But like you I'm still looking for my best options.

I currently use the Eberlestock Skycrane 1 and 2 for hunting and shooting. They carry my 338 no problem and can handle 60-80 lbs fairly comfortably, but once they start getting over 100lbs things start to change. I have strapped plenty of hogs over 100 lbs to the packs and its no fun. If your looking to haul alot of weight take a look at the Kifaru load haulers and just buy a eberlestock scabard to attach to the panel

Eberlestock Just One. Expands to pack your camp in, reduces down for day hunts, carries my tac rifle with ease, and packs your game off the mountain. I've used mine around five years now and packed a six point bull out in just two trips, with no failures.