• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing hypothetical what caliber for 1,000 yd groundhog?

razor100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Oconomowoc, WI
yeah i know if you have to ask...308WCF (7.62x51mm NATO)

think i need a bit more oomph though

what scope also?

let your imaginations run wild!

Re: hypothetical what caliber for 1,000 yd groundhog?

I would go with a .243 or maybe a 300 win mag with a S&B PMII 5-25x56.

A .243 with a 105gr a-max would be good for groundhogs and as far as optics, maybe a Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA.

They have an informal club at varmint hunters dot com made up of shooters who have managed to shoot a prairie dog at 1000 yards or more. They've used a bunch of different cartridges, to include a lot of wildcats, but most of them revolve around the 6BR.

Username 'birdog' is one of the ringleaders of that group. He answers that same question here, recommending a 6BR and an 8.5-25 Loopy LR. These guys definitely have been there, done that.

7 SAUM with a 8-32 NF. If I was looking for varmit only rig. Just me though. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ahorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 Lapua, IOR 12-52x56.... Atleast thats what I would use since I have one.

</div></div>LOL...Does it count as a hit if their is nothing left to prove it? I don't have one, but this sounds like a job for the 6mm-284 with one of the longer bullets. Since this is hypothetical and doesn't cost me anything I'm going to agree with the IOR 12-52x56 TERMINATOR as the best choice for scopes.

There's a new post at VarmintHunters.com that one of their 1000 yard members scored a witnessed hit on a p-dog at 1412 yards with a 6BRX driving a 105-gr Berger hybrid bullet. I'm not talking theoretical shit, I'm talking a dead prairie dog from eight tenths of a mile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i know if you have to ask...308WCF (7.62x51mm NATO)

think i need a bit more oomph though

what scope also?

let your imaginations run wild! </div></div>If you decide to get a rifle for this purpose will you be using it for any other purpose in addition to that? How important would barrel life be?

.243AI with 105's for 1k is what I'm going to run. Currently I'm at 640 yards with a .223AI and 75A's.

Scope....'22x NXS on the 243 and '15x NXS on the 223

to go in another direction, .25-06

scope for just the groundhog application - anything with a small target dot and enough adjustment for the lack of holdover marks.

put the dot on the spot and look for the pink mist.

I hit a pd at 900 once with my 300wsm, didnt do much. In my experience, the big smks dont have time to expand in a pd, and at that range the smaller bullets dont have much poop left to scatter them.

I will be trying this as soon as possible with my new 7saum.

I was talking with an old man at a highpower match once who claimed to have a confirmed kill on a prairie dog at 2350 yards with a 300 RUM and shooting 240 SMKs. He was a gunsmith and an NRA High Master so I tended to believe him. Said he had to machine himself a 100 MOA base to get enough elevation to dial that far. That was 10 years ago now. He may be dead by now for all I know.

If I had to do it today with no cost limit or restrictions Id use a 375 Cheytac with a USO 10-50x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McLarenRoss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was talking with an old man at a highpower match once who claimed to have a confirmed kill on a prairie dog at 2350 yards with a 300 RUM and shooting 240 SMKs. He was a gunsmith and an NRA High Master so I tended to believe him. Said he had to machine himself a 100 MOA base to get enough elevation to dial that far. That was 10 years ago now. He may be dead by now for all I know.

If I had to do it today with no cost limit or restrictions Id use a 375 Cheytac with a USO 10-50x. </div></div>He was probably beaten to death by his rifle.
I know he didn't see the hit through his scope. Even if he missed I'd give the old dude props just for shooting that combo. Doesn't sound like fun to me. I'd rather try that with a powerful 7mm. Maybe a 7mm ultra mag with 180gr Berger Hybrids. It would still have alot of recoil, but it would be better for that purpose IMHO.

Took one at 947 with a TRG 22 in 308 and 155 lapua on second shot, so i guess 308 will do the deed.

338 snipetac

Sorry had to...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a 260 rem with 140 Amax, red rocks. </div></div>

What he said. Top it off with a Leupy 6x18x50 with a B&C reticule.

One of the guys on another forum I belong to has done it with his 20BR and a 55gr berger. I have a 20 Dasher and use 55gr bergers as well. One of the main problems I have run into is finding a dog at 1000yds+ and fighting the wind, it's always so windy in dog towns.

My dasher is on a BAT SV action and has a Bartlein barrel. I'm hoping maybe this fall to find some longer stuff for it.

In 2002, there was a story in Accurate Rifle Magazine titled "The Quest for the Two Mile Prairie Dog," about two guys in Colorado who set out to shoot a prairie dog from 2 miles, 3520 yards. One was shooting a .338 Lapua and the other was shooting a .308 Win AI.

The .308 was shooting a 220 gr. SMK @2400 f.p.s., 365.6 MoA of elevation at 3520 yards. M.O. was about 400 feet above LOS from a 100-yard zero. The Lapua was driving a 300-gr SMK @2700 fps and needed 245.4 MoA elevation.

When the story was published, they hadn't hit a p-dog at that distance but the .338 could klang a 36" gong one shot out of five at two miles.

Nobody makes a scope with so much elevation adjustment, so they recruited a machinist to gin up mounts with 600 MoA (10°) of additional elevation and 200 MoA of windage.

skytwomile7.jpg

6mmbr will work fine.. You will have to learn the wind really good but it will make it there and not cost an arm and leg to shoot.