• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I’m juggling three jobs, and need help.

You'll get no sympathy from me.
7 to 7 , 2-2-3 shift. Good pay great benefits.
Yes, im very familiar with this work schedule.
I spent 29 years of a 33 year career working that exact shift, and a couple other uncomfortable as hell schedules. All graveyard shift. All 12 hour, some renditions of 13 hour nightmares.
I raised two kids, and enjoyed a very happy and fulfilling 18.5 year marriage to my soulmate, during those 33 years.
I'm still here, having survived eating shit sandwiches from numerous assholes, and at times great personal tragedy.
I am now retired since August 2020, with a reasonably decent state pension.

Nothing in life is easy, or free.
The world needs people to work shift work.
A living has to be earned. Nothing of value, comes without struggle.
I think it’s great that you were able to make it work. Not everyone could.

People used to say that about me.
Its bullshit, no one thrives on that shit. Its a job that has to be done. No more, no less.
Folks just aren't made of very stern stuff anymore.
It’s not bullshit man. Humans are a diurnal species. No amount of sternness is going to change our biological clocks.

Reactions: Vortex1
Anyone can. You think I was the only person I met in 33 years.
Anyone can and could, the problem is they won't.
I’m glad I always was on day shift, maybe other than when it was hot as shit. I have had night shift jobs however. Night shift seems twice as long for some reason, but I worked 3 on 4 off which was not terrible.

I know I’m not going to be able to do it. Even without working at it, I can honestly say I won’t. I’m a morning kinda guy. Love being up crack ass early, having a coffee, etc.

Money’s great, but an extra $5/hr isn’t worth upending my life over. This is why I’m keeping options open, even after landing the job.

You're not my nephew Ryan are you?

Most folks do it for a couple weeks and simply give up and say, "I just can't do it."
You never really wanted to do it.
If you think full on 12hr graveyard is brutal, you know nothing.
Rotating shifts from day to night is murderous.
There was always some asshole that had big ideas to make it "easy". There is no easy button.
You have day people, and night people, thats the best scenario and least stressful.
Night people need to understand, there is nothing but sleep in the day.
Every person I knew without fail who had problems, did NOT try to keep a pure night schedule.
On my days off? I slept in the day, just like when I was working. It is the ONLY way once you get past the age of about 30.
You make your sleep room black. You go to bed when you get home. It can be done easily. Most folks won't do it cause they view the daylight as "bonus time". Daytime is sleep time.
I was in essence a vampire for a very long time.

There is no permanent damage. I can't stay up past 2100 most nights now.

Reactions: XP1K and Reddog 69
I've always loved the back shifts. Dayshifts in any industrial environment are miserable around here. Too many cubicle dwellers come out to roam on dayshift. All they are interested in is justifying their positions while making your job harder just so their jobs are easier.

Everywhere I've worked always had better production numbers by the backshifts. In contrast, the employee parking lot on backshift only has about 1/4-1/3 of the vehicles parked in it vs dayshift. Where do you think the waste is?

Priorities in life. I dont hold anything against someone not wanting to work un-normal hours, nor judge them

Like this dude is going to take anyones advice. Its drama, but carry on.
I get not liking it. Hell, at times I absolutely hated it. We all have to do things we don't like sometimes.
You sure as hell won't accomplish much if you never do anything you don't like.

The last few years I worked, I was constantly giving these millenials pep talks about eating their shit sammiches.
Me and a good friend retired the same day, both of us supervisors.
Two of the "kids" were taking our positions as we left.
I literally had to beat it in both their heads how friggin fortunate they were, to be walking into our positions as lambs who had been made king sheep.
They'd been handed a leg up, I took years to earn, by taking the shitty end of the stick when no one else would.
So....yeah.....my heart pumps piss for these instant gratification junkies.

Reactions: XP1K and Reddog 69
I began looking the moment I accepted the job. I knew I would never give it a fair shake, as the shift is brutal if you plan to have a balance of life. I looked at the job as a stepping stone, not a long term choice.
Boo-hoo. No sympathy from me. I work 6 to 6 on a 2-2-3 schedule. I see my wife lots. you have 50% of your days off….how many of your friends get that? You need to sack up and realize that work is work. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K
Get another night gig on off nights. Remember, it's the job of the night people to take the day people's money!

It’s about coming back, they called me and told me to come meet with them and “see what they could do” to bring me back on. I wasn’t irreplaceable, but I have a lot of knowledge and experience in the department which is sorely
lacking.

That's what they want you to think.....

1644636003751.jpeg

Man up. Straight nights longest hitch is 3 nights. That’s a fuckin cake walk. Don’t get in the habit of quitting, trust me I’ve walked that road, and it doesn’t end well. Put in some solid hours with your current employer and you will probably be able to transfer to days in a year or so. In my area everyone works rotating 12 hour shifts. Many friends are 30 plus years. Don’t let saying I can’t get in the way of success.

I always go by whichever place has the hottest receptionist/secretaries. Money is only worth so much, and if things go off the rails with your fiancee, there's some new tang in close proximity.

See, there's some excellent advice to be had in the pit.
This isn't "right" per se, but in the grand scheme of things it's also definitely not wrong.

Moral relativism at it's finest in The Pit.

Reactions: Dot3
Awhile ago I made a thread about safety concerns at my job. I ended up leaving that job, and accepting a pretty good opportunity at a new start-up plant in my area.

The start-up is a decent opportunity for the area, great benefits, $25/hr, but the shift is pretty rough being 7pm-7am on a 2-2-3 rotating schedule. I think I knew the shift wasn’t for me, as I’d never see my fiancé, but I accepted it anyways as a ‘way-out’ of my previous job of 4 years.

I had one week of training at the new place (I was as hired as a machine technician) and I caught the coof.. so this whole week I have been off, and looking for opportunities better suited for my lifestyle (dayshift).

My old employer contacted me, and wants to bring me in for a meeting this Monday the 14th. I also have an interview at a local construction supplier, for an inventory controller position on Tuesday.

Seriously stuck on which direction to turn. I’m scheduled to return to my new place of employment Monday, but I can’t if I’m meeting my old employer. Tuesday I have an interview at the construction supplier, so I’d have to miss work or leave early, and that is not going to look good being I’m still in training and I’m a week behind because of Covid quarantine. So I’m desperately looking for an opinion of which way to go.

WWYD?
Look at each of the opportunities you have in the big picture, promotion potential, experience, etc. Think critically about them. Will eating shit on graveyard a few nights a week, for a year or two give you more potential in the next 2-5 years? Will going to the other jobs do the same or better/worse?

Your fiance can deal with not seeing you as often as long as the big picture things are working in her favor (aka net positive relationship status).

* uphill both ways in the snow story intensifies *
I did weekend graves 6pm-630am 3 days one week 4 days the next for a year, then days for 6 months, then Graves, etc... for 10 years).. it sucke donkey balls, but in the big picture opened new opportunities and now I'm doing what I wanted to do 10-12 years ago LOL.

As I recall, you were at wits end with your former job. Valid health concerns out the wazoo and a company that couldn’t care less. Now you’re thinking of returning because despite more pay, good benefits and the absence of fiberglass in your lungs, your new job has crappy hours.

Good grief.

As many have already said, it’s more than do-able. Like you and so, so many others, I worked similar shifts for years. So did all the other people on my shift, and in the U.S, and around the world.

It won’t matter what shift you’re on if you spend a good part of it coughing up blood and taking time away getting treatments for serious work-related illnesses.

Lack of sleep and an adjusted social life or, fiberglass in your lungs, eyes, where ever else and the possible resulting long term diseases.

Sounds like an easy choice to me.

Give your situation to the Lord cobber.
You have a fiance & staring down the barrel of a long life of work & commitment.
I'm 53 & I know what you're going through. Many years of 12 hour shifts, 7 days/week trying to get ahead.
It'll bury you if you don't get a handle on it.
The Lord is the only way. Make no mistake.

Stay at the new job and ask when days would be available, tough it out but keep feelers out for another job with a better shift. No way I'd go back to the old job, they missed their chance to keep you the first time.

I just did some 7pm-7am for the first time in my life, easy work but that shift sucks if you have always been on days.

Not advice...I've been contacted by previous employers asking me to return. Nope! Once I leave I'm gone (with one exception). The exception was a job I left when I moved away for a year. When the owner heard I was back he offered me my old position.

OP, I’d just mooch off the girlfriend and try to get a side business going.

So , the smartest man I've know to date . Degrees in Engineering and Business and by all accounts wealthy and successful .
At a time in life that I was struggling horribly and spoke to " I've never prayed so much in my life ". He told me that there is an important component of prayer that few employ or even know how to do .
"Listen ". After you pray just listen . It'll pop up in your thoughts . It may be a difficult choice . It may not be what you ideally want and if you really listen and weigh it at a real answer you'll know it's right .
We've become arrogant and self righteous . Even if you choose to believe it's your own intellect and inner voice the answer will be in there .
And as previously stated , sometimes the truly hard stuff is the right way .

Good luck .
If you want to talk PM me .
Doesn't have to be Religion or anything but throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks . Your parameters .

I've always loved the back shifts. Dayshifts in any industrial environment are miserable around here. Too many cubicle dwellers come out to roam on dayshift. All they are interested in is justifying their positions while making your job harder just so their jobs are easier.

Everywhere I've worked always had better production numbers by the backshifts. In contrast, the employee parking lot on backshift only has about 1/4-1/3 of the vehicles parked in it vs dayshift. Where do you think the waste is?
Absolute truth. I don't relish working nights but there's less eyeballs around for sure.

The MILF ratio of any workplace is an important stat. Why? Every divorce started with a fiancee- they're like cigarettes at a 12 step meeting.

For fucks sake.
Over the last 365 days, I have worked mostly night shift. 16:30-04:30. The longest run was 74 shifts in a row. I just got home from 52 night shifts in a row.
I don't prefer to work nights but I don't mind them either. In the summer, it's cooler at night. It seems there is less wind at night during the winter. There are less "visitors" and generally more work gets done. Of course, the money I make is incredible. No matter, I have to work a few more years.
Sack up.

You can do it if you want to. Shit, I had a gig on 2nd shift (3:30PM to 2:00AM M-Th). Kicker was that it was a 50 mile commute AND I was in school for machining from 9AM - 1:00 PM M-F. Math says I got home at 3:00AM, got up at 7:00AM, departed at 8:00 AM to do class work and labs until one, eat a sammich, and pass out on the couch in the student center until three (I was know as "That guy who snores") and get my ass to work. It was a rough 2 years (and I did it again in my 30s but the shifts were reversed) for sure but the dividends I have reaped were worth it. Love my current gig (16 years and if things go well I will finish my carreer with them in 12 to 18), benifits are great, and the boss hands out big bonuses to his higher ups (and treats everyone well). Stick with it! Or not... I see a job application with to many short term jobs and bouncing around and I see someone I am NOT hiring! No dedication meeans no workie for me! That shit will haunt you I promise!

You can do it if you want to. Shit, I had a gig on 2nd shift (3:30PM to 2:00AM M-Th). Kicker was that it was a 50 mile commute AND I was in school for machining from 9AM - 1:00 PM M-F. Math says I got home at 3:00AM, got up at 7:00AM, departed at 8:00 AM to do class work and labs until one, eat a sammich, and pass out on the couch in the student center until three (I was know as "That guy who snores") and get my ass to work. It was a rough 2 years for sure but the dividends I have reaped were worth it. Love my current gig (16 years and if things go well I will finish my carreer with them in 12 to 18), benifits are great, and the boss hands out big bonuses to his higher ups (and treats everyone well). Stick with it! Or not... I see a job application with to many short term jobs and bouncing around and I see someone I am NOT hiring ! No dedication meeans no workie for me! That shit will haunt you I promise!
My current gig is a 40 mile commute. I don’t even bother listing short term jobs on resumes, not that I have any. I’ll give it an honest go, if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.

One thing that pisses me off is the fact I’ve been off w/Covid, while on training. I missed a full week of training and they are sticking me right on my crew on night shift. I don’t think that’s good management. Whatever, hey… I get paid to show up whether I know what I’m doing or I don’t.

I don’t see much value in throwing new employees to the wolves, but what do I know?

I enjoyed night shift when I was in the middle east, as long as the day shift guys weren't jerking off when I was trying to sleep in the room I shared with 6 dudes. I was the only nightshift guy in the room....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Darayavaus

Hell I’m an engineer and loved when I was on second shift. No management after 4ish pm, keep the plant running, fix the problems and keep production happy. Some of the nicest years of my career. Now I’m on first again and deal with management drama and day shift b.s.

I’ve been with my fiancé for 10 years. It’s not like I’m letting a bar room pickup give her input on where/what shift I work.
After all your bullshit machinations over your "job(s)", now your "fiance of 10 years" is "a bar room pickup ?

Get the fuck out of here, you're jerking everyone off and wasting our time.

Either that, or this is just a great big prank and I'm the dumbest kid in the third grade class. But, I lean heavily in the direction of you thinking it's funny to jerk people around. You're not really this fucked up in real life........are you ? :rolleyes:

My current gig is a 40 mile commute. I don’t even bother listing short term jobs on resumes, not that I have any. I’ll give it an honest go, if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.

One thing that pisses me off is the fact I’ve been off w/Covid, while on training. I missed a full week of training and they are sticking me right on my crew on night shift. I don’t think that’s good management. Whatever, hey… I get paid to show up whether I know what I’m doing or I don’t.

I don’t see much value in throwing new employees to the wolves, but what do I know?
You sound like a shitty employee and a whiner to me.

Reactions: abn31c
I'm old and am enjoying a pretty cushy life these days, but I wasn't born into it and have endured some bad situations to have shelter and food. You do what you need to to have a roof and eat, and it's multiplied if you have a family to take care of.

1. Do the job you signed up for, and work the shifts assigned if the money and working environment are acceptable. Looking for and finding a better situation is fine but try to do it with as much class as possible.

2. Save some of your earnings and build up a cash reserve of what I call "fuck you" money, so you can walk away from intolerable situations in the future. It takes a while to achieve, but once you have it the power dynamics are significantly changed.

3 The current labor market is a seller's market. You have the power to negotiate a mutually acceptable interview or meeting time without being an asshole. Citing job responsibilities is a point hard to argue with.

Reactions: Dot3

So then, take it upon yourself to learn what they were unable to teach you.

It's not really that difficult. It's just time consuming.

Your employer is responsible for enough training to get you working.
Further training is your responsibility.

If you're not willing to pick up your own training, you'll never succeed.

Reactions: XP1K
After all your bullshit machinations over your "job(s)", now your "fiance of 10 years" is "a bar room pickup ?

Get the fuck out of here, you're jerking everyone off and wasting our time.

Either that, or this is just a great big prank and I'm the dumbest kid in the third grade class. But, I lean heavily in the direction of you thinking it's funny to jerk people around. You're not really this fucked up in real life........are you ? :rolleyes:

Wait!!
Is this the toilet paper guy?

You sound like more of a liability than an asset, just be thankful someone hired you.

Reactions: Threadcutter308

I find I do some of my best learning when I'm pushed into something I'm not familiar with. As one of my coworkers is always saying, you gotta want it.

Awhile ago I made a thread about safety concerns at my job. I ended up leaving that job, and accepting a pretty good opportunity at a new start-up plant in my area.

The start-up is a decent opportunity for the area, great benefits, $25/hr, but the shift is pretty rough being 7pm-7am on a 2-2-3 rotating schedule. I think I knew the shift wasn’t for me, as I’d never see my fiancé, but I accepted it anyways as a ‘way-out’ of my previous job of 4 years.

I had one week of training at the new place (I was as hired as a machine technician) and I caught the coof.. so this whole week I have been off, and looking for opportunities better suited for my lifestyle (dayshift).

My old employer contacted me, and wants to bring me in for a meeting this Monday the 14th. I also have an interview at a local construction supplier, for an inventory controller position on Tuesday.

Seriously stuck on which direction to turn. I’m scheduled to return to my new place of employment Monday, but I can’t if I’m meeting my old employer. Tuesday I have an interview at the construction supplier, so I’d have to miss work or leave early, and that is not going to look good being I’m still in training and I’m a week behind because of Covid quarantine. So I’m desperately looking for an opinion of which way to go.

WWYD?

Whichever has the best hours and benefits. So probably the construction supply job. Just don't fuck it up.