• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am thinking of getting into training but....

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
I am so damn green at taking any kind of training I don't know where to start and to be perfectly honest I am nervous about it. I know I would most likely be the newest person there holding up a class lol.

What should I start with as far as finding a class and to train?
Should I just do pistol courses for a while then move up to rifle or does it not matter?
Only gun training I have is going to an indoor range and shooting my pistols and AR15 with around a max distance around 35yds +/-.

I plan in a few weeks to buy a LWRC M6A2 5.56 in 16" barrel (or 14.7 if I can) and a SABR 20" in .308 to use for my rifle needs.

I have three pistols to use for training which are Sig P229 .40, M&P .40, and Glock 19 9MM.

So I think I will be ok with firearms just need to figure out what to do for training because I don't know where to start.

Suggestions on what to do to get started as in what classes to look for and such?

Thanks
Larry

Re: I am thinking of getting into training but....

Two more words: Rifles Only. It is the only place that I have trained (where I went when I was a noob), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of great information. I have shot the SHC there 3 times, and Jacob and crew (Frank who owns SH also teaches there) are awesome - as well as the facility is great FWIW. I hope to get down there for some training this year - or at least the "Sniper's Hide Bash".

I cant really suggest where to train although I have heard nothing but great things about RO, IMOP you should definatly get formal training because you are so green. I wish I thought of it before I picked up all my bad habits. Its much easier to learn with a blank slate then trying to get your brain to forget all the wrong shit you have picked up along the way.

You are in a great position, take advantage of it

The first step I would take is join the online training.
The second would be buy a camcorder and record your shooting sessions modeled after the online training.
The third is take home the recording and your targets and evaluate.

The forth is look at the savings over the expense of Thunder Ranch.

The fifth is this above fails is call Jacob. Schedule a visit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two more words: Rifles Only. It is the only place that I have trained (where I went when I was a noob), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of great information. I have shot the SHC there 3 times, and Jacob and crew (Frank who owns SH also teaches there) are awesome - as well as the facility is great FWIW. I hope to get down there for some training this year - or at least the "Sniper's Hide Bash". </div></div>

Ok, I have no idea who Jacob is or what SHC or SH means or is??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first step I would take is join the online training.
The second would be buy a camcorder and record your shooting sessions modeled after the online training.

The fifth is this above fails is call Jacob. Schedule a visit.</div></div>

Which online training course are you talking about? I didn't know there was one. I guess the Jacob you refer to is the guy superde was talking about?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opiy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two more words: Rifles Only. It is the only place that I have trained (where I went when I was a noob), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of great information. I have shot the SHC there 3 times, and Jacob and crew (Frank who owns SH also teaches there) are awesome - as well as the facility is great FWIW. I hope to get down there for some training this year - or at least the "Sniper's Hide Bash". </div></div>

Ok, I have no idea who Jacob is or what SHC or SH means or is??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first step I would take is join the online training.

The fifth is this above fails is call Jacob. Schedule a visit.</div></div>

Which online training course are you talking about? I didn't know there was one. I guess the Jacob you refer to is the guy superde was talking about?

Thanks </div></div>

SHC = Snipers Hide Cup - it is a competition put on by Snipers Hide (Frank - the owner of this site) and Rifles Only in Kingsville, Texas every spring.

Jacob = Jacob Bynum - the owner and operator of Rifles Only. He has trained precision shooting enthusiasts (like myself) and military personel around the globe. Frank Galli (please don't lock my account Frank if I spelled it wrong LOL), the owner of this site who was a Marine Sniper teaches with Jacob at RO (Rifles Only). They also have Lindy Sisk who works there in the cooler months, who is also a wealth of information.

They are all great down to earth people who want you to learn from the experience. There are no stupid questions, they will answer them all. Just bring bug repellent, and be prepared to learn about wind.

Online Training = There is a online training section here on SH (Sniper's Hide). It is a subforum of the S-3 Firearms Training section. It costs $10 a month and gives you drills and things to work on to make you a more competent shooter. Even though i've been to RO I have still learned new things from this section.

I didn't know there was a online course on this forum. Hmm. So how does one subscribe to that?

ETA: Ok I found the subscription site.

I went ahead and signed up for the SH online training. I am sure I will learn something from it!

Yup you will.

There is stellar information there.

I would strongly suggest video taping your sessions. It seems time consuming and a p.i.t.a but combining your video and your on target results you can learn oodles from that alone.
Corrections are easy and mistakes are instantly obvious and the right corrections are known, not guessed.

Larry, since you are in Alabama I would recommend you look up Tiger McKee of ShootRite in that State. He is awesome and local, will get you up and running with any system. You can also go to Amazon and get his book, "The Book of Two Guns" which is a notebook/diary of his travels taking classes back in the day. It is actually written in a free hand, and is not typed.

Thunder Ranch is great, but getting a class with Clint right now would be close to impossible. Both Tiger and Jacob worked at Thunder Ranch when it was in TX and play off Clint's book, along with adding their own twists to the various drills and teaching.

For what it's worth, I found the guys at RO to be VERY professional. I didn't know shit about precision rifle and made lots of newby mistakes. It cost me some XX and Red Bull, but no one but me made me feel like an idiot.

Frank and Jacob lack any cooler-than-thou attitude and I felt very welcome from the first minute I showed up.

Without all the bravado that one might expect from a class like that, it was easy to focus on the instruction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank and Jacob lack any cooler-than-thou attitude and I felt very welcome from the first minute I showed up.</div></div>

End user statements like this are proof in the pudding.
In this arena it is hard not to find large ego. That fact these 2 gentleman carry themselves the way they do is testament to the final product.

Not without mention is the time and effort it takes to put their product into an online format. At a ridiculously reasonable fee to reach the individuals who may not be able to afford the time and expense to travel to TX. That in itself, speaks volumes.

Opiy. I would recommend taking any and every course that your time and wallet allows. If you show up and "inform people" that you "are brand new" you are going to receive instruction from everyone there in different forms. Instructors know that too, and most will go out of their way to ensure that your skills are greatly enhanced before you leave. A happy trainee often comes back and brings 3 or 4 more. Instructors too, get better with a wide variety of students whose intent is to learn and improve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opiy -

Sometimes very inexperienced and/or insecure new shooters can profit by attending individual or small classes so the performance anxiety, peer pressure, and pacing issues are eliminated. I have observed that often the slowest member of a class learns even less than he might becuase he is so worked up about keeping up. It becomes a positive feedback loop of sorts.

Perhaps discuss your existing skill set and concerns with whomever you schedule with and make sure you are taking the right class at the right time with the right peers?
</div></div>

I agree with this 100%. If you have the funds, and qualified instructors nearby, nothing beats private 1:1 instruction to get you squared away. When you take a class like Defensive Handgun I at a place like Thunder Ranch, its not an "Introduction to Handgun" class. Will you still take away something if you have basically no real experience with weapon system, well yes, but you will gain a whole lot more from a class like that after you had a day or two of solid private instruction. Plus, if you are that true "beginner" of the class (and I have been that person in the class) chances are your insecurity (we already know you have some by making this post) will subtract from your learning. Self-consciousness can make you really get all you can from a class, plus you usually feel lousy if your that individual that slows down the learning pace of the whole class. You may end up hating shooting altogether over it. This applies to all weapon systems, and being familiar with one weapon system (i.e. pistol) will not grant you an automatic pass of knowledge to other weapon systems. And since you asked the question about which system should you "work" on first, that depends what your goals are. Cover that weapon, when you have hit an intermediate level with one, move to the next.

Now I know what to ask and look for when I get ready to take a class. I can't wait to get something done now. I think I may do some pistol courses first since it seems a more likely thing I would use over the carbine plus since it is smaller so maybe won't require quite as much to get started with.

Thanks!
Larry

If you are really just starting in shooting take a look at Appleseed Project. There is a training session in Toccoa, Ga. June 13 & 14 it looks to be the closest one to you. It's $75.00 for two days prepaid or $40 per day. They teach the basics, I belive it's much like the USMC marksmanship course. I observed the instructors for a while this week end and will be attending the June session in North Carolina. Good facility and has range out to 400 yards. If you have never had training then come out and try this if you have had training come out and become an instructor and help spread you knowledge. There is also a shoot in Birmingham July 3rd & 4th probably closer to you.

That is something like a 9 hour drive from me (guesstimating).

I did find this place very local to me but no idea if they are good or not. Its called Gunport.
Gunport Website

Anyone heard of it?

Yeah NC is at least a 9 hour drive but you might look at Birmingham July 3rd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: capnjim01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are really just starting in shooting take a look at Appleseed Project. There is a training session in Toccoa, Ga. June 13 & 14 it looks to be the closest one to you. </div></div>

This was the part that messed me up when you said GA was close
smile.gif
but I will look into the one in Bham. Thanks