• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I can't find a good ghillie suit. Help please.

CalebFuller78

Private
Minuteman
I've been looking for a ghillie suit for awhile now. I'd like one like the Marines and Army use.
aza5edu9.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get them. I've check local surplus stores and none of them have any. I want the kind that is only the back. I'm not an actual sniper but I will use it predator hunting so it will be in the weather and such. I'm newer to snipers hide so if this is in the wrong category I'm sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You haven't found one because you aren't supposed to be able to FIND one. You're supposed to MAKE one. :smile:

With all my operational expertise .... I say make one. For the record, I have no experience. I did watch a show about becoming an Army sniper and they all made their own as part of school. Also have read the same somewhere in a book I believe. I am in the process of doing a little work to a jacket/hat for turkey season. I am using an old waterproof camo jacket so I can do the hood in case of really crappy weather. Also check out Oniell Ops vids. They use a good looking minimal set-up and seems to get a lot of yotes.
Post pics either way.

They make them. If you want something premade check out the tactical concealment cobra and viper hoods. They work very well and are very high quality.

You don't need a ghillie suit. You should be able to stalk properly with nothing but a veil to break-up the outline of your head.

Last edited:
Well, as others have said you don't buy one.....you make it. Yes, technicaly you can go to Cabela's or another sporting goods store and pay hundreds of dollars for some commercial ghillioe suit, or you can spend about $50 and make one that will blow them away. (no pun intended) I still have the ones I made in the Corps. and everytime I walk by one in Cabela's and Gander Mountain I chuckle to myself.

A ghillie suit for turkey hunting is WAY overkill, and EXTREMELY dangerous. I did it for a couple seasons but soon realized the error. Firstly, you stand a much higher chance of being shot by some bozo out there snap shooting at what they think is an animal. Secondly, any movement you make will be magnified by your larger silhouette. When that turkey comes in from the side you don't expect it to, which happens most of the time, you will have to hope it walks past so you can reset and call it back, because if you try to turn wearing that bulk the turkey will be long gone. MUCH better on all counts for turkey hunting to just look like a branch. Get a regular fitting bark camouflage outfit with gloves and veil and you'll be better off. Hell, before all this designer camo came out hunters were hunting turkeys in brown shirts and jeans and using natural concealment. The up side of bark camo is you can sit in FRONT of a tree trunk in plain view of any other hunters.

I'm not an actual sniper but I will use it predator hunting so it will be in the weather and such. I'm newer to snipers hide so if this is in the wrong category I'm sorry.

@ M40-A1: Do you classify Turkey's as PREDATOR's!? :D

For real PREDATOR hunting, smear mud all over your body, it masks your thermal image. Then blend in with your terrain and AMBUSH when that One Ugly SomBatch gets close.

Predator-Mud-400x218.jpg

--

Seriously though, those links above are nice, but, I made my own by the DIY method. You can put additional padding in the jacket or abrasion panels on it for crawling. Then attach Netting to the jacket. Then attach your burlap or whatever you use to the netting.

For Coyotes this would be good, but, I have found a DECOY & CALLS works SO MUCH better, then just drape netting over yourself or shoot out of a blind.

But its your hunt, do it how YOU WANT!

Enjoy!

Will

Hammock netting attached to flight suit if you want a one piece , old bdu's if you want a two piece. Put some extra materials on the high wear areas . Different colored burlap pulled apart then tied to the netting. Not hard just a shitload of manhours ! LITTLE WORD OF CAUTION. If you plan on hunting predators with it in the summer time (especially in the southeast ) I hope you take a shitload of water with you or you will fall out from heatstroke !!

Last edited:
If you're predator/coyote hunting, the suit won't save you from being spotted when you move unless you are seriously going to lay on the ground and do a very slow, low crawl to your next stand. If you are seen, you are seen; it doesn't matter if you're in a big, bulky, walking fire hazard suit.

Find and learn how to read your local topographical map. Use the terrain, map out your ingress/egress routes working backwards from areas with great fields of fire. When moving in, and while at your stand remember; Sight, Sound, Silhouette, Scent, Sheen.

Utilize the terrain and it will be 100 times more useful than lugging around a suit.

@ M40-A1: Do you classify Turkey's as PREDATOR's!? :D

Wow, I really missed the mark on that one! :) My post was actually in response to powdahound76 in post #5. But, to be honest, I was confused and thought I was addressing the op. Thanks!

I have a smock style throw over for certain situations that I got from Liberty Tree Tactical: Liberty Tree Tactical In fact the item in the link is the one he made for me. I didn't have the time to make my own and for LE work it gets more use in training then actual deployment. In fact as Graham point out 99% of the time the veil does the job. The Gadsden is great because it is NOT a full suit and just a throw over with a hood. It is light, portable and minimal. I never liked the big bussy looking after market suits and prefer a minimal amount of garnish with lots of area to veg as I need. Here is a field shot, no natural veg.

Sully

Attachments

• 20121220_105737.jpg
    20121220_105737.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
The United States Army | Fort Benning

Sorry, can't help it. A lot of us put some serious blood, sweat & tears into just getting a slot to that school, among others. So it just feels weird sometimes when someone out of the blue just wants to know how to make a ghillie suit ;)

Last edited:
[MENTION=12158]Dogtown[/MENTION] I'm not a sniper I don't claim to be one, I'd like to become one, but I'm not. I mean no disrespect to anyone who put in the time and practice to earn the title. Tell the truth I'd like to use it to practice my stalking. I'm fine in the woods and swamp but out in the grass, where it's harder, more stressful I'm useless.

Making a ghillie suit is not rocket science. Once you discover how simple they are you'll wonder what all the secrecy was about. Just sew canvas strips of appropriate color to an earthy or camouflage colored outfit, or tie them to netting attached to the outfit. Fray the strands from the strips as desired, cut to lengths as desired, spray paint as needed, glue reinforcement to the front as wanted, make a way to insert or tie natural vegetation to it if you want. The veil can be attached, or separate on a cover. There's no right way or wrong way. You can always modify later as you see fit, and as your environment changes.

I added the winky face because I didn't want you to take my comments too seriously like I was coming down on you, but just to help you understand why some of us may respond with a bit of snark.

[MENTION=12158]Dogtown[/MENTION] I figured I might as well clear the air in case anyone was thinking "what a punk thinks he can just buy a ghillie without earning the right to even know how to make one"

what i do is follow these few simple steps

- do not take a dump for 3 days, on the 4th day drop a duce in the toilet, do not flush, leave there and continue to next step
- lay out a blanket size piece of plastic on the floor
- lay out a heaping pile of pine needles next to the plastic
- dump out the contents of 48 bottles of gorrilla glue onto the plastic
- remove all clothes becoming wonderfully nekkid
- roll around for 3 minutes in the glue
- roll onto the pile of needles and roll around for an additional 5 minutes
- descent yourself by now returning to the lingering stink pickle in the toilet and smearing it on yerself trying to cover every inch of your newly forming ghillie
- create a predator attracting aroma buy having your dog piss on you
- head out and enjoy destroying all predators in your wake

what i do is follow these few simple steps

- do not take a dump for 3 days, on the 4th day drop a duce in the toilet, do not flush, leave there and continue to next step
- lay out a blanket size piece of plastic on the floor
- lay out a heaping pile of pine needles next to the plastic
- dump out the contents of 48 bottles of gorrilla glue onto the plastic
- remove all clothes becoming wonderfully nekkid
- roll around for 3 minutes in the glue
- roll onto the pile of needles and roll around for an additional 5 minutes
- descent yourself by now returning to the lingering stink pickle in the toilet and smearing it on yerself trying to cover every inch of your newly forming ghillie
- create a predator attracting aroma buy having your dog piss on you
- head out and enjoy destroying all predators in your wake

Wow, the demented things that spring forth from VJJ are awe inspiring.

Make one your self, they are fun to make, just remember to use shoegoo, and natural veg is always better than jute, knowing when to stop adding shit to it, is the hardest part.

M40-A1
Thanks for the advice. Fortunately less turkey hunters around CO than other parts. For clarification, I wasnt planning on going full ghillie like, just something to break up the outline and to attach a bit of vegetation if needed (similar to the Oneill Ops guys that I mentioned) depending on park size. I will be hiking in a good ways just to avoid those bozos who shoot at movement prior to target ID, Most of them dont like to walk to far from the truck or quad from my experiences around here. This is my first go at turkey here in CO and on public land,so the good safety advice is appreciated.
Sorry for derail, back to topic

I'm not tacticool, I'm experienced. That is nothing more than a mock-up of the classic netting used for vehicles and whatnot. It doesn't work. Ever.

More importantly, I'd like to know what I need to eat to create this mega turd, with which I will later adorn myself.... is there anything special I need to be eating ( peanuts and stuff might get stuck in my ears when I'm rubbing it all over...)
And will it work for getting fat girls after I finished hunting?

@<a href="http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/member.php?u=12158" target="_blank">Dogtown</a> I'm not a sniper I don't claim to be one, I'd like to become one, but I'm not. I mean no disrespect to anyone who put in the time and practice to earn the title. Tell the truth I'd like to use it to practice my stalking. I'm fine in the woods and swamp but out in the grass, where it's harder, more stressful I'm useless.

This is the first in a series of videos that give a pretty good explenation on building one. you'll have to check the rest out on your own.

[video=youtube;sULe0Sc4-Gw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sULe0Sc4-Gw[/video]

I'm not tacticool, I'm experienced. That is nothing more than a mock-up of the classic netting used for vehicles and whatnot. It doesn't work. Ever.

There was another fly by night company that had the exact same plastic POS set up in more of a woodland pattern and tried to get our team to buy into them. We got one to T&E and it was absolute crap. I could detect an operator in that faster then I could detect someone just in BDU's and boonie hat. This looks identical except in Multi Cam. If its a budget thing just get a sniper net from Voodoo Tactical, for $20 it would work 10x better.

Sully

In all seriousness, just buy a tactical concealment base suit if you are serious about this:
Mamba Suit Series (ghillie suit foundation)

All you really need though is prob just a hood or jacket w hood.

It's a hell of a lot easier to buy that base than build a proper one on your own. Then again, if you're not doing a bunch of crawling and what not... using it only for hunting, it doesn't need to be nearly as complex/detailed as a sniper ghillie... nor as rugged and tough.

One thing I'll say that needs saying... nearly every ghillie I've seen offered for sale commercially has WAY too much jute on it. Get a look at suits actual snipers wear for an idea of what I'm talking about.

I agree with DP425 most commercial ghillies do have way to much jute on em. I'm going for a silent predator, not a bigfoot costume. Also those Crye Precision "ghillies", yeah they're a joke.

A ghillie suit for turkey hunting is WAY overkill, and EXTREMELY dangerous. I did it for a couple seasons but soon realized the error. Firstly, you stand a much higher chance of being shot by some bozo out there snap shooting at what they think is an animal. Secondly, any movement you make will be magnified by your larger silhouette. When that turkey comes in from the side you don't expect it to, which happens most of the time, you will have to hope it walks past so you can reset and call it back, because if you try to turn wearing that bulk the turkey will be long gone. MUCH better on all counts for turkey hunting to just look like a branch. Get a regular fitting bark camouflage outfit with gloves and veil and you'll be better off. Hell, before all this designer camo came out hunters were hunting turkeys in brown shirts and jeans and using natural concealment. The up side of bark camo is you can sit in FRONT of a tree trunk in plain view of any other hunters.

I am going to have to disagree with you. From my personal experiences I have had more success turkey hunting since I started doing so in my ghillie.

I prefer to "run and gun" as opposed to sitting still. When you are trying to cover ground quickly to get set up on a bird sometimes you end up just squatting or resting your shotgun on a tree and making a shot while standing.

As to the issue of movement, the difference is not as big a deal in my opinion. Move extremely slow and make movements with wind if possible. Pay attention to the birds head, make movements when the birds head is down or atleast looking in another direction or when strutting or gobbling.

When I have hunted sitting I have had birds walk within 15 yards of me. I don't see that happening in realtree.

And as for other hunters, for many people that is not an issue, I hunt on private land that is family owned and have never in 30 years had a incident of trespassing hunters

When I have hunted sitting I have had birds walk within 15 yards of me. I don't see that happening in realtree.

Maybe not realtree, but you should try it in a suitable pattern for the area. You'd be surprised.

I only hunt spring. I move on a gobble, set up and call him in. I use a camouflage that has been discontinued (too bad) that looks exactly like the oak tree bark where I do most of my hunting. No branches and leaves and other crap in the pattern that may or may not exactly match where I am setting up that makes me look out of place. Just plain, old oak tree bark and I look like a branch. Turkeys practically run me over some times, and I am in plain view. OTOH, I've had turkeys really eyeball my ghillie. They know it doesn't belong. A ghillie is best for prone. Any form of upright position and you look like a big blob to an animal the size of a turkey. They know. When I look like a fallen branch, they don't check me out so long before moving on with things.

To each his own, but since I went from the ghillie to the bark pattern I don't overheat and am unencumbered. In short, I'm much more comfortable.

Really suggest making one, a lot of professionals here recommending it for a reason. Also no need to go overboard on the burlap, just enough to be effective and a majority of netting space for tying on local vegetation. I saw one made by an ex-mil sheriff and he could vanish with that thing.

If you are actually stalking, unless you're on a wide open plain with nothing to snag on then a ghillie suit may be more of a hindrance than help. IMHO. Just break up your outline with something you can slide through brush in.

L

Last edited: