• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing i made this stock ! feedback plz

Re: i made this stock ! feedback plz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has turned out well and looks good. Using ply wood is not as easy to work as a normal piece of timber . For a first attempt I wood use thin planks of a straight grained timber and place them so that the grain is all in the same direction. </div></div>
What would you tell the guy at the lumber yard so he gives you the right stuff?

Great job on the stock! If anyone is going to try a similar job, I suggest using marine ply, a three piece laminate, or a single piece of lumber. Marine ply has substantially fewer voids in the wood and would be quite a bit more durable. Keeping it sealed up 100% is also vital in high humidity areas.

No kidding, that is plywood!

Looks great, congrats on a job well done. I am with many of the others that looks beyond my patience level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has turned out well and looks good. Using ply wood is not as easy to work as a normal piece of timber . For a first attempt I wood use thin planks of a straight grained timber and place them so that the grain is all in the same direction . This would produce a lamination that will plane and cut by hand better than plywood.
To check which way the plank will plane easy , just test plane each edge and assemble accordingly . </div></div>

I had a similar thought of using something like 1/2" boards and laminate them together in a way the you could take advantage of the direction of the grain around the wrist area. Maybe run a full length board, then break the next layer up into 3 sections where the fore and butt end grain are parallel with a diagonal peice seperating them, the diagonal peice would be where the wrist section would be. Make it 5 layers thick, 2 of them including the diagonal peices and the other 3 layers being solid peices. I just think that having some grain running diagonal as well as horizontal through the wrist section of the stock would make it much stronger, as that area would be the weak link in a stock. Plywood is stronger than lumber because it takes advantage of alternating grain.

Very good job for someone who isn't a woodworker.
I am a custom cabinetmaker and woodworker and have often thought of doing this out of Bamboo. I would have to laminate all of the material though because the sheet goods coming from Asia often delaminate after a few months of finishing. We sent a high end job to Hawaii and by the time it got there, all the doors had delammed.
Fortunately, the customer was a lawyer and went after the manufacturer hard. We got paid to build the doors twice.

Oh man idk it was alot of work and im working on getting more pics i was busy shooting this thing all weekend i love the way it feels when i shoulder it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatis cdx plywood?</div></div>

I believe "cdx" is exterior grade plywood, basically low grade wood with exterior grade glue holding it together. Don't know if that means it's treated or not, but that may be what he's getting at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has turned out well and looks good. Using ply wood is not as easy to work as a normal piece of timber . For a first attempt I wood use thin planks of a straight grained timber and place them so that the grain is all in the same direction. </div></div>
What would you tell the guy at the lumber yard so he gives you the right stuff? </div></div>
Well the timbers used in teh USA are different to what we use here.
Walnut would be good but too expensive and hard to work by hand I doubt that your local will have it.
Beech , birch, mahogony and myrtle are good.
Coachwood is very easy to carve and shape and plane . Not very attractive though but is an easy timber for a first attempt by hand .
Some kind of Maple would be ok in a pinch . The main thing is that all planks be fairly straight grained pieces no knots or large waves in the grain .
The lamination will make it more rigid than a normal solid piece of timber anyway.