• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I "modernized" my lever gun...

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Ok...I admit...I think the new rage of making a lever gun "tacti-cool" is..well...cool.

I had an old Marlin 336 in 30-30 that was literally collecting rust. I have not shot it in over 30 years.

Then my friend Chad of Chisel Machining started making stocks for the Marlin and Henry rifles so that sealed the deal.

Now there are many shops turning out really nice lever builds.
But I really did not want put $1500+ plus a 4-6 month wait into a rig that was just going to be for fun.

So I gathered parts and contacted my good friend Mike at The Cartridge Family to do the gunsmithing.

He shortened the barrel to 14 1/2" and then pined, welded, and blended the brake to make 16.2" barrel length.
Slicked up the action. Instalked a Ranger Point trigger and big loop lever.

The Cerakote was also done locally in Magpul OD green.

Topped it with a Leupold VX6 I had laying around.

Here is how it turned out.

Attachments

• 20220411_085715.jpg
    20220411_085715.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 822
  • 20221017_150011.jpg
    20221017_150011.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 827
  • 20221017_150135.jpg
    20221017_150135.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 996
  • 20221017_150018.jpg
    20221017_150018.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 735
  • 20221017_150047.jpg
    20221017_150047.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 751
  • 20221017_150156.jpg
    20221017_150156.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 756
Heck yeah, that turned out nice.

I’ve got a posse of Marlins , all pretty much stock except for WWG trigger/ejector upgrades. Now you got me thinkin’….

Reactions: BgBmBoo
Heck yeah, that turned out nice.

I’ve got a posse of Marlins , all pretty much stock except for WWG trigger/ejector upgrades. Now you got me thinkin’….
With my eyes, open sights just don't work.
So I figured let's go all out in this build if I'm going to make it an optics only rig.

Hoping to get to the range with it this week to sight it in.

Reactions: lash
Are the stock and hg drop in? Or is fitting required?

What is the out of pocket to do this if you don’t mind me asking. I have a 94 in 444 marlin that would stomp shit even more then it already stomps shit in a configuration like that. Very cool!

What is the out of pocket to do this if you don’t mind me asking. I have a 94 in 444 marlin that would stomp shit even more then it already stomps shit in a configuration like that. Very cool!
Not sure of the total. Was given the friend discount.

If you go to the websites I mentioned in my original post, you can see the prices.

The Machining and finishing will probably be the largest cost depending on who you use.

Check out MadPig customs. They build some really cool rigs.

Nah. Rip the bandaid off and go SBR…
He’d have to start all over to do it right. Cut the barrel, cut the tube mag, have the mag dovetail or screw stud redid. Then off to refinish again. Oh and cut the HG to fit the custom length barrel. But yes, SBR at current length would be ok I guess

All that and no it illuminator or can ? Gtfo and gbpse

I haven't been a fan of modernized lever guns, but I really like this one.

That’s really cool. Not a fan of the buttstock, but overall pretty damn cool. I think a lever gun chambered in 45 colt set up like this would be good.

Its unique but I prefer wood and steel. I did however mount a light and rmr on my Winchester 92 😁
Maybe a wood butt stock and matching MLOK grip panels for the rail
IMG_5871.jpg

Ok I can't hold out much longer, I have to have one of these beauties. I won't do a skeletonized buttstock, that ain't my thing but definitely modernize the rest. The only question is...what model and caliber? One of the new Ruger Marlins maybe? .357 mag to match my pistol?

Ok I can't hold out much longer, I have to have one of these beauties. I won't do a skeletonized buttstock, that ain't my thing but definitely modernize the rest. The only question is...what model and caliber? One of the new Ruger Marlins maybe? .357 mag to match my pistol?
As far as I know, Ruger is not making anything currently in any other chambering, only 45-70. But Henry makes them in pistol calibers.

They are a lot of fun. I get it….some folks on here think antique firearms are the thing for me. Me…not so much. I grew up on Louis L’Amour, Zane Gray, John Wayne, Etc., but those old guns do nothing for me.

But that is the cool thing about firearms. There is something for everyone.

A nice steel and wood gun aint for a bump in the night.

Thats for a suppressed shorty, red dot, IR laser, and nods.

Jeez.

Was able to get to the range today and sight in the rig.

I was going to be happy with 1 1/2" - 2" groups.

So groups like this made my day...especially with my old eyes and only a 6X scope.

Off of a bench with bipod and rear bag at 100 yards with Hornady Leverevolution ammo. 5 shots.

The brake makes this thing recoil like a .223.

Attachments

• 20221025_103037.jpg
    20221025_103037.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 87
That is just so sad. It makes me want to cry. It is like when those idiots in mostly sandy parts of the world blow up priceless ancient sites over their religion! This is just as bad it is like someone took John Moses Browning and then brainwashed him with woke intersectional ideology until this design leaked out of his rotting corpse! That thing is as ugly as a Jackson Pollock painting. It is like forcing Michelangelo to make McDonalds Happy Meal Toys! Truly scary!
If I recall, didnt TROY come out with a pump action AR a couple years ago?

Sorry for your buddy Chad, but those stocks are kind of ghey. Removing functionality is not "cool", it's just kind of silly.

A lever gun like what yours started as should be light, handy, and versatile, but you guys took away the ability to shoot it left handed, and probably made it heavier too. An adjustable PRS-style stock (attempted) on a lever gun, really?

I'm no fudd, and love a shortened and suppressed lever gun, but that stock is about as dumb as a big wing on a Geo Metro, and for the same reason - it's copying tech from an application where it makes sense and use it in a way that doesn't. In both cases it makes the original product worse, and looks stupid too.

Heck at this point you might as well attach an Atlas bipod and a rear monopod too.