• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a cigar education!

When you start to buy, look for 5ct packages of the same cigar first. When you get your 5pk, set it inside your humidor for two weeks. Smoke one. Wait a month. Smoke another one. If it is that good, save one for 6 months then smoke it to really tell how good it is. BUT, if after the second smoke, you find it mediocre, or the same as something else that is better, set it aside. Buy a smaller sized box. These are what you offer fiends, and fiends of fiends who stop by. When you have sampled all there is to sample(remember that list way up above that RJW mentioned, and I added to? BTDT, we have done it for you ;) There hasn't been a decently high rated cigar we haven't tried from 2012, what we refer to as the 'Year of Mediocre Cigars'. There were really no noteworthy cigars to come out last year. This year, well, so far, nothing noteworthy. The La Gloria Cubana Sere R, and Serie N, were probably understated, as well as under rated from last year. Good smokes, a cut above mediocre so far, but they still need to condition a bit to really sample so the flavors really come out...do not smoke this one with high octane barrel proof. It will not stand up to barrel proof. It WILL, however, stand nicely with barreled in bond, and lower.

Thank you my man that was well spoken. What was that last sentence though? Barreled in bond?

Barreled in bond?

Pardon me. I misspoke using 'barreled' where I meant 'bottled'. It is nothing more than an inspected proof level of whiskies here in the US.

Bardstown Whiskey Society | Brands | Rittenhouse Rye Bottled-in-Bond

[h=2]Definition of BOTTLED IN BOND[/h] of whiskey : bottled unblended at 100 proof under U.S. government warehouse supervision after aging at least four years and being free of taxation until removal from the bonded warehouse

I like this for the reason it assures we poor folk of getting the perfect proof of good whiskey, however, I offer no complaint for the likes of Baker's, nor Booker's which are bottled even higher, nor for those barrel proof bottles that are so precious. The offerings of 96, 94, and 92 are also well met, but for a company to tell people it will lower proof to make prices stay nice, is just plain heresy and sacrilegious.

Sunday night; La Gloria Cubana Serie R 6x60

Construction is top notch. The wrapper is veinless, with a nice oily sheen. It feels silky smooth in hand, and hefts a nice weight. Pre light draw is slightly firm, with good notes of tobacco and cocoa. Notes of good tobacco were present throughout. Highlights of coffee, cocoa, and toast were extremely consistent. Burn was consistent. This cigar is one of the most consistent throughout it's length. Is it a good cigar? No, It is a damn good cigar! Definitely above average. This brick and mortar sold $10 cigar can be found for under five a stick if you look hard, maybe close to four. Is it worth it? YES! Do you need this cigar? No. Do you WANT this cigar? Hell Yeah!

Sunday night; La Gloria Cubana Serie R 6x60

Construction is top notch. The wrapper is veinless, with a nice oily sheen. It feels silky smooth in hand, and hefts a nice weight. Pre light draw is slightly firm, with good notes of tobacco and cocoa. Notes of good tobacco were present throughout. Highlights of coffee, cocoa, and toast were extremely consistent. Burn was consistent. This cigar is one of the most consistent throughout it's length. Is it a good cigar? No, It is a damn good cigar! Definitely above average. This brick and mortar sold $10 cigar can be found for under five a stick if you look hard, maybe close to four. Is it worth it? YES! Do you need this cigar? No. Do you WANT this cigar? Hell Yeah!

I completely agree, I was given a few by a friend and have since bought a couple more of the Serie R's. They're excellent and even in the B&M store they're about $9 by me. Online they're readily available for <$6.50/stick

I had a 5 Vegas Series A Archetype(Maduro) last night. Was for me a very enjoyable cigar. Had the classic slight sweetness that Maduro's have. However I had had it in my travel humidor for 2 or 3 weeks and the wrapper had split at the foot(didnt realize this till I cut and started smoking it). I dont blame 5 Vegas, or even my cut(the cap was still intact). I think I damaged it by it being in my travel humidor rolling around for a few weeks. I smoked about half of it before the foot really fell apart and I couldnt get a good draw so I gave up. Was disappointing, but looking forward to having another one(was my first of a box). It showed that they have some promise to be really good with some age.

20130823_191748_zpsfb3442ea.jpg

Saturday night I smoked a Don Pepin Le Bijou 1922, box pressed torpedo. It was a beatiful cigar that has tempted me to smoke it every time I opened my humidor, so I finally caved. This oscuro was way more enjoyable for me than the other Don Pepin I have smoked, the Flor De La Antilles. A very full, rich smoke with that really nice oscuro sweetness. It reminded me very much of a Liga Privada #9. Burned nice, but did get a little bitter at the end and I tossed it with about an inch and a half left.

20130823_202554_zps30e818a2.jpg

Sunday, I found myself "in Canada" again, and smoked a Romeo Y Julieta Churchill (Cuban.) I've found that all of the Cubans I have smoked have had a distinct "acidic" undertone that is unique to them, to the point that in a blind test I'm 90+% positive that I could pick one out in a blind taste test. This particular smoke was enjoyable, it had nice cedar tones with some citrus, and some coffee and nut undertones. The burn was razor sharp, but the smoke volume wasn't as much as I prefer. I'd buy it again... but not at "Canada tax price" of $40. I paired it with Balvenie 15 year Single Barrel, which was a fantastic choice.

Later on on Sunday, I smoked a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. Tons of smoke volume, just not as rich as I remember, but perhaps I'm getting a bit jaded? It almost reminded me of a "steamy" mouthfeel, where there was a ton of smoke but the flavor didn't quite add up. As the smoke progressed, the flavor built, and overall it was a great cigar. Next time, I'll try a punch cut to concentrate the smoke a bit more and slow down the draw.

No cigars Monday or Tuesday, but I had today off and sat by the firepit with my English Bulldogs (Oscar, Molly, and Lucy) and enjoyed a Fuente Fuente Opus X, XXX Belicoso (Power Ranger.) Packed hard as a rock, this was a nice smooth cigar that build in strength and body steadily, with a PERFECT razor sharp burn. Overall, the flavor profile isn't as good to me as a Padron Maduro, or a Cuban, but I do enjoy this cigar as a nice change of pace, and am looking forward to smoking some with some age on them. Anyone who knows these know that they are a powerhouse, this little guy hit me quite a bit harder than any of the recent full bodied smokes I've had.

Ok so today's plans again got messed up. I cancelled on going to the mountains and stayed at home. Me and the girlfriend were day drinking since I have the next 2 days off. Long story short we went to dinner then had this awesome idea to go smoke cigars since my buddy never smoked one. I forget which one he ended up with since I was pretty intoxicated from earlier. I chose the same Padron 1926 anniversary cigar that I have at home since I wasn't able to go home and bring it with me. Local cigar shop sells it for around $34 I think when I paid about $13 online, lucky for me my buddy paid for me and my girlfriends cigars:)

I enjoyed the heck out of this cigar, I think it might have been pretty high in nicotine because I passed out with about a 1/3 left for 30 minutes! The Padron held the ash easily for the first 1/3 of the cigar and it burned nice and even, no relighting was necessary which was great. I cant wait to smoke this cigar again in the next week or so after a great steak dinner and little alcohol:) I have a Davidoff Millenia and a Kristoff Ligero left that I think will get smoked in the next few days.

I became clear that I have WAY more "special occasion" cigars than special occasions to smoke them, so when we had our best month ever at the dealership I manage, I decided that it was the perfect excuse to smoke a Padron 1926 80 Years Maduro that I have a box of, and hadn't smoked one yet. Opening the box, I am greeted with a really nice barnyard aroma. To be frank, it smelled like horse shit (and my wife agreed.) It has been said, the best compliment you can give to a cigar maker is that the smell of the box of cigars is "like shit." This one certainly was, in a good way, if you can imagine.

What an AMAZING smoke! Here is a pic with the pairing of choice, a bottle of Mount Gay Extra Old rum:

I clipped a small chocolate chip from the head, and found a perfect, medium firm draw with nice earthy flavors. I slowly toasted the small, perfecto head with my ST Dupont Ligne 2. Right off the bat I am getting a TON of red pepper, very spicy, with a leathery finish that lasted until the next draw. As the pepper died down the first flavor I noted was that of toast, a really enjoyable flavor.

Progressing in, it is immediately apparent that this cigar is every bit as strong as I had heard. After a light lunch, I am feeling the nicotine 1" in.

As the first third progresses into the second third, the am getting a really rich mocha/dark chocolate flavor that is really rich.

The ash is holding on very long, showing off the skill of the roller who skillfully put this cigar together. The flavors get very rich around the halfway point, and I am getting a really nice nutty flavor of hazelnuts or macadamia nuts. There is a nice maduro sweetness going on. I refill my glass with a good pour of Bookers bourbon, which compliments this full bodied cigar perfectly.

Progressing into the final third, the flavors persist, and never get bitter, or nasty. With just a little bit left, I decided to clip the head a bit more as I am seeing a lot of black tar buildup. This proves to be a mistake, as it doesn't improve the flavor profile at all, only making the draw a bit too loose.

I end up smoking this cigar until my fingers are burning, and never once did it require a correction or relight. The draw was razor sharp all the way down, the burn remained razor sharp, and the flavors were rich and delicious all the way through. I loved this cigar!

-BM

Last edited:
Ah, I see we need some education on the parts of the cigar today:

Head: The part that is not lit, where one draws from
Foot: The part that is toasted, then lit
Cap: This covers the head, and has a nice clean line about 1/2" or so from the head. One can cut this however one sees fit, leaving at least 2/3 of it intact. At the halfway point, it can be again cut to clean up the head where it has filled with tar residues that are as you smoke, turning acidic

Wrapper: The outermost leaf of the cigar. This leaf is stretched and pulled tightly to enclose the entire package we call a cigar
Binder: This leaf provides a counter flavor note to the wrapper, and holds the cigar together. This is it's structure providing leaf
Filler: This is either sandwich layered, or rolled, depending on manufacturer. It holds several leaves that make the blend, offer the base of all the flavor notes and undertones.

Good fermented tobacco will usually as a good friend always aid,"Smells like a cow pie, Bubba!" Some, however, will hold beautiful notes of raisin, a mild sweetness, or mild spice, good aroma's that usually indicate a superior smoking experience that all around enjoy, and usually become envious of. The Camachop Triple Maduro comes to mind, as does the Essencia.

The best thing anyone can do who is new to cigars (here comes the heresy), is to take one apart, layer by layer. YES! How else will you know exactly how it is made, or what is in it, besides, this is FUN!
Hold the cigar in hand. look at the head, then the cap. Note the foot, and position of the label. Feel the oily smoothness of the wrapper in hand. Remove the label. Now gently remove the cap without cutting. If you wet it, it will usually unravel just enough to get started. Now unroll the wrapper, and smell it. Note it's scent, then hold it up and light it on fire. Smell the burning smoke, noting it's highlights.
Now unroll the binder leaf. Repeat what you did with the wrapper leaf, noting the highlights of it's scent in the smoke.
Now you can look closely at the filler. You can see if it is layered like a folded sandwich(Cuban style), or if it is rolled from end to end. Unroll it, inspect it, smell it. Roll it back up and light the end, smelling the smoke and noting it's highlights.
This small exercise will give you many small lessons in one.
It will show you how a cigar is constructed to it's core
It will show you how it is blended
It will open your eyes, nose, and mouth to new highlights that you can now pick up easier when you smoke a cigar

I just finished a Davidoff Millennium and did not enjoy it. I thought the cigar was plain boring! I will not be buying another especially at the $21 price point. Last night I smoked a Padron 1926 and I thought it was absolutely fantastic! I will be buying more of them in the future and hope to buy a box once the time is right. Has anyone else smoked a Davidoff Millenium and disliked it? Maybe it needed to sit in a humidor for a few months?

I became clear that I have WAY more "special occasion" cigars than special occasions to smoke them, so when we had our best month ever at the dealership I manage, I decided that it was the perfect excuse to smoke a Padron 1926 80 Years Maduro that I have a box of, and hadn't smoked one yet. Opening the box, I am greeted with a really nice barnyard aroma. To be frank, it smelled like horse shit (and my wife agreed.) It has been said, the best compliment you can give to a cigar maker is that the smell of the box of cigars is "like shit." This one certainly was, in a good way, if you can imagine.

I clipped a small chocolate chip from the head, and found a perfect, medium firm draw with nice earthy flavors. I slowly toasted the small, perfecto head with my ST Dupont Ligne 2. Right off the bat I am getting a TON of red pepper, very spicy, with a leathery finish that lasted until the next draw. As the pepper died down the first flavor I noted was that of toast, a really enjoyable flavor.

Progressing in, it is immediately apparent that this cigar is every bit as strong as I had heard. After a light lunch, I am feeling the nicotine 1" in.

As the first third progresses into the second third, the am getting a really rich mocha/dark chocolate flavor that is really rich.

The ash is holding on very long, showing off the skill of the roller who skillfully put this cigar together. The flavors get very rich around the halfway point, and I am getting a really nice nutty flavor of hazelnuts or macadamia nuts. There is a nice maduro sweetness going on. I refill my glass with a good pour of Bookers bourbon, which compliments this full bodied cigar perfectly.

Progressing into the final third, the flavors persist, and never get bitter, or nasty. With just a little bit left, I decided to clip the head a bit more as I am seeing a lot of black tar buildup. This proves to be a mistake, as it doesn't improve the flavor profile at all, only making the draw a bit too loose.

I end up smoking this cigar until my fingers are burning, and never once did it require a correction or relight. The draw was razor sharp all the way down, the burn remained razor sharp, and the flavors were rich and delicious all the way through. I loved this cigar!

-BM

Padron '26 is hands-down my favorite smoke. I like the Padron '64's too...as well as Punch & Arturo Fuente's. But I have found nothing yet I'd rather smoke than a '26. Awesome cigar.

Take a cruise to Roatan, Honduras. Get off the ship, walk to the head of the pier, find the old guy rolling on a makeshift table, hand his daughter $10 US, take the 5 pack of cigars from her and enjoy the best smoke of your life.
I DON'T ALWAYS SMOKE CIGARS, BUT WHEN I DO...........:cool:

20130613_142723_zpsf81f1c65.jpg

Went shopping today...

Nice...I have been smoking Padrons lately namely the 1926 line. I have one left in my Xikar travel humidor which I am going to smoke either Friday or Saturday after work. Then Sunday I will go back to Hi Times Wine Cellar and purchase a few more. They seem to have EVERYTHING! Hi Times has got to be the best adult store in the world! Ill pick up a few Padrons that I already have in mind plus maybe a Gurka and a few others. I could smoke a Padron every night if I could afford it.

No updates in a while, but I have been smoking some fantastic Cubans, the Monte Cristo #2, the Cohiba Robusto, and the SUBLIME BHK 52! North of the border where it is legal, of course.

Tonight I'm at home on a particularly warm September day smoking a Padron Family Reserve 45 Years Maduro, paired with a Macallan Cask Strength, and the flavor is amazing. Rich, sweet, nutty flavors, a truly superb cigar! Like a 64 Anniversary, only turned to 11. Tons of rich, oily smoke, and fantastic construction. One of the best cigars I've had.

In other notes, I'm converting my finished basement to a wife approved smoking lounge. My bar is stocked with fine bourbon, scotch, and rum, and a Rabbit Air MinusA2 controls the smoke. Leather furniture is on order, a 70 inch TV is coming, and I hired a contractor to install an exhaust fan. All to insure comfortable smoking to warm a cold Maine winter.

-Bob

Edit to add- wow, this was a strong cigar! It kicked my ass, I wasn't expecting it.

Last edited:
Update- the in-house cigar lounge is almost done. The Rabbit Air MinusA2 in conjunction with twin 440 CFM exhaust fans handles the smoke, and the comfort of the room has been upgraded with leather furniture, a new pub table, a granite bar top, and a liquor selection that would make most top end restaurants jealous. A bar quality keg cooler will be in later this week, and from there, it's only decorations to complete the room.

Me and my friends have been enjoying cigars in comfort of a warm room while watching the Patriots on a 70" TV, meanwhile I consider myself quite fortunate that my wife is all on board and doesn't mind cigars at all, now that the HVAC has been upgraded to handle it.

Yep, it is quite an improvement, and that TV is large. Did I hear keg cooler in route! What is going to be on tap??? Phantom Punch or Stowaway perhaps? I may need to make a trip up. And yes you are quite fortunate, she does seem to be a good one just make sure you let her know that you think so. I would say buy her gifts, such as high end precision rifles and fine optics...

Yep, it is quite an improvement, and that TV is large. Did I hear keg cooler in route! What is going to be on tap??? Phantom Punch or Stowaway perhaps? I may need to make a trip up. And yes you are quite fortunate, she does seem to be a good one just make sure you let her know that you think so. I would say buy her gifts, such as high end precision rifles and fine optics...

Yes she needs another gun soon! As far as what's on tap- I'll have to decide, but I DID buy a Stowaway tap handle... In any case I should have room for 3-4 different beers.

Hi Bob, I'm new to this forum and I see that you are using a Rabbit Air MinusA2. I have a heated porch that is completely enclosed with no ventilation. I'm looking to add ventilation so I can begin to enjoy some cigars during the winter months here in New York. Someone recommended to forego the ventilation and just purchase 1 or 2 Rabbit Air units. My concern is if I have two or three guests smoking churchill cigars, we'll need goggles after about 10 minutes.

Do you think that in your situation if you just relied on the MinusA2 without the exhaust could a non-smoker join you for a scotch without being a annoyed? What are your thoughts?

~John

No updates in a while, but I have been smoking some fantastic Cubans, the Monte Cristo #2, the Cohiba Robusto, and the SUBLIME BHK 52! North of the border where it is legal, of course.

Tonight I'm at home on a particularly warm September day smoking a Padron Family Reserve 45 Years Maduro, paired with a Macallan Cask Strength, and the flavor is amazing. Rich, sweet, nutty flavors, a truly superb cigar! Like a 64 Anniversary, only turned to 11. Tons of rich, oily smoke, and fantastic construction. One of the best cigars I've had.

In other notes, I'm converting my finished basement to a wife approved smoking lounge. My bar is stocked with fine bourbon, scotch, and rum, and a Rabbit Air MinusA2 controls the smoke. Leather furniture is on order, a 70 inch TV is coming, and I hired a contractor to install an exhaust fan. All to insure comfortable smoking to warm a cold Maine winter.

-Bob

Edit to add- wow, this was a strong cigar! It kicked my ass, I wasn't expecting it.

Hi Bob, I'm new to this forum and I see that you are using a Rabbit Air MinusA2. I have a heated porch that is completely enclosed with no ventilation. I'm looking to add ventilation so I can begin to enjoy some cigars during the winter months here in New York. Someone recommended to forego the ventilation and just purchase 1 or 2 Rabbit Air units. My concern is if I have two or three guests smoking churchill cigars, we'll need goggles after about 10 minutes.

Do you think that in your situation if you just relied on the MinusA2 without the exhaust could a non-smoker join you for a scotch without being a annoyed? What are your thoughts?

~John
I think so. The MinusA2 did a great job of keeping the air nice. My wife and my smoking buddies wife are both non smokers, and they were more than able to comfortably hang out at watch the football game while two cigars were going. The big difference the exhaust fans made was how fast the room was back to "normal," meaning how long it took before it smelled like no cigar had ever been smoked in the room. With the exhaust and the MinusA2, the next day it is 100% back to normal, where the Rabbit Air took a couple days. My room is pretty large though- about 900 square feet. If your room is smaller, you'll probably be 100% good to go.

You could always do like I did- start with the MinusA2, and if it wasn't enough, add exhaust.

Best of luck and good smoking-

-Bob

Thanks Bob. I think I will do just that and order a MinusA2 to start. I have about 700sq ft to cover. It sounds like however, you ended up adding the exhaust even after the MinusA2. Is this simply to get rid of the oder quicker?

My wife is cool if it takes a couple of days for the residual cigar smell to dissipate. My porch is rarely used in the winter. My main focus is making sure that non-smokers aren't breathing in huge amounts of smoke and the room is comfortable for them while a couple of us enjoy a cigar. I'm struggling with the idea that the air is not circulating out of the room but instead gets transformed to clean air at a rapid rate. Sounds a little to Star Trek for me.

I think so. The MinusA2 did a great job of keeping the air nice. My wife and my smoking buddies wife are both non smokers, and they were more than able to comfortably hang out at watch the football game while two cigars were going. The big difference the exhaust fans made was how fast the room was back to "normal," meaning how long it took before it smelled like no cigar had ever been smoked in the room. With the exhaust and the MinusA2, the next day it is 100% back to normal, where the Rabbit Air took a couple days. My room is pretty large though- about 900 square feet. If your room is smaller, you'll probably be 100% good to go.

You could always do like I did- start with the MinusA2, and if it wasn't enough, add exhaust.

Best of luck and good smoking-

-Bob

Thanks Bob. I think I will do just that and order a MinusA2 to start. I have about 700sq ft to cover. It sounds like however, you ended up adding the exhaust even after the MinusA2. Is this simply to get rid of the oder quicker?

My wife is cool if it takes a couple of days for the residual cigar smell to dissipate. My porch is rarely used in the winter. My main focus is making sure that non-smokers aren't breathing in huge amounts of smoke and the room is comfortable for them while a couple of us enjoy a cigar. I'm struggling with the idea that the air is not circulating out of the room but instead gets transformed to clean air at a rapid rate. Sounds a little to Star Trek for me.
Exactly. It seems like the exhaust fans make the difference in residual odor, but both do a good job cleaning the air.

I like this thread, nothing like a good cigar, premium beverages, friends and a good meal. A group of us here in Louisiana, get together the 3rd Thursday of the month to sample the offerings of the cigar world, single malts and have a good meal. Padron 1926 is one of my favorites, like others have posted. A decent source of information is Cigar Aficionado ( Cigar Insider | Cigar Aficionado )

~John

Your NY enclosed porch will work well with a single unit as long as you have enough incoming vented air from the house. Pull the air from the house and exhaust it through the unit making sure inbound air and unit are separated so airflow pulls smoke out through the exhaust unit easily