• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I really want to build one of these...

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
I have wanted to build one of these for years... The thing holding me back is the price of barrels!

volley gun.jpg

That's $5k in barrels... even for the cheap ones!

But damn that would be fun to fire! And not hard to build!

24 barrels firing simultaneously....

Then again, cleaning it would suck.... ;-)

Well, we all have our fantasy builds! @buffalowinter and his Nock 2.0 does provide some inspiration.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. This is a Billinghurst gun and is actually hand-cranked. The earlier (C. Revolutionary War) guns were fired in a single blast by powder train from barrel to barrel.... That is much easier to consider building. But, damn... the barrel cost! ;-)

Last edited:
I was about to say. Just get some tubing not like your actually trying to hit anything.

Load it up with some bang powder and make all the smoke.

If you need barrels tapered out of DOM tubing let me know. I can set the taper attachment on the lathe and turn out a set.

Reactions: ZG47A
If you need barrels tapered out of DOM tubing let me know. I can set the taper attachment on the lathe and turn out a set.
IThere is an early one at Springfield Armory... I need to pay it a visit.

I can set up taper on my big LeBlonde... Had not thought about DOM and doing it myself. Not like an early one needs rifling...

Hummmmm.....

I was thinking Octagon barrels, but round makes sense and would be way cheaper.

Wheels are turning! ;-)

Sirhr

I have wanted to build one of these for years... The thing holding me back is the price of barrels!

View attachment 8236881

Well, we all have our fantasy builds! @buffalowinter and his Nock 2.0 does provide some inspiration.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. This is a Billinghurst gun and is actually hand-cranked. The earlier (C. Revolutionary War) guns were fired in a single blast by powder train from barrel to barrel.... That is much easier to consider building. But, damn... the barrel cost! ;-)
challenge accepted.jpg

IThere is an early one at Springfield Armory... I need to pay it a visit.

I can set up taper on my big LeBlonde... Had not thought about DOM and doing it myself. Not like an early one needs rifling...

Hummmmm.....

I was thinking Octagon barrels, but round makes sense and would be way cheaper.

Wheels are turning! ;-)

Sirhr

Yeah. I get it. My wheels are turning on my own idea and I am seriously waiting for the Ukie war to simmer down a bit so I can buy pallets of demilled Russian tank barrel sections.

They are mostly smooth bore and make excellent cannons.

Yeah. I get it. My wheels are turning on my own idea and I am seriously waiting for the Ukie war to simmer down a bit so I can buy pallets of demilled Russian tank barrel sections.

They are mostly smooth bore and make excellent cannons.
If you come across any section of ANYTHING with about a 75MM bore... I need about 36-40 inches!!!! So keep me in mind! Torch cut is fine... Need to make a sleeve!

TIA!

Sirhr

It's going to be a while. I'm currently working on a semi-auto PKM, Hamilton No.27 boys rifle with long tube scope, USMC 870 shotgun clone, updating and modifying an RPK and, gas conversion to semi-auto for both SMLE and Steyr M95,

RPK will look something like this. It will have a folding Magpul PRS stock, Picatinny rail handguard, Magpul grip, Dynacomp muzzle brake, BELOMO PO 4x17 scope, Nitre Blue Duracoat, and match trigger.

D-C-INDUSTRIES-INC-NDS-8_ak rpk.jpg

1695924469188.png

There is one of these in the Leonardo Davinci Museum in Milan, basically the same design but a little better, and you can also see Leo's plans for it and other weapons he designed circa 1500 in the weapons section of the museum. As I recall, his had more barrels, and as an added crowd-pleasing kicker, it had a full scond row of barrels which folded backwards on a hinge, and then after you detonated the first row and the enmey thought you were done so they could run up on your battery, then you flopped/folded the second row of barrels forward, and you got to do it all over again (almost simultaneously if you wanted to). Likely the second shot adversely affected morale. I'll look for pics of it on my phone.

Or do it with a modern chambering and I sure you could get a bunch here to send you their spare tomato stakes.
Not a bad idea. There have to be a few dozen .308 barrel clangning around the shops and safes of the guys in this thread :)

Why buy it when you could make it . what is it 20 barrels and some mechanism to hold the bullet in place when you fire it ? get a couple more barrels and you could try and make your very own mini gun I mean Gatling gun yes that one hook it up to a high speed motor yea yea .
1695990160165.png

now that would be worth owning ..... lol

Reactions: Oldloser
Just an idea for ya.....you know trying to help out and all....

Just an idea for ya.....you know trying to help out and all....

I now own that cannon.... Bought it from them c. 2015.

So I know it will work!

Sirhr

Uh, for barrels, DOM tubing is far better than welded tubing.
Yes, at 3 times the price ($19 a tube). For smoothbore BP it's no problem and I'm thinking of maybe using .22 barrel liners to make it rimfire.

Last edited:
Barrels have arrived. Thinking 12 ga...big boom with low pressure. Might go to half scale and make two. Full size is truly a crew served, horse drawn weapon. Half scale would be manageable and cost savings on carriage wheels would be substantial. 1 trigger pull equals 1 box of shells.
DSCF0219.JPG

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0221.JPG

Last edited:
Went in a different direction. Proof of Concept completed and successfully fired, see the video. Decided to go with 12 gauge black powder cartridges. The proof of concept model has 4 barrels, the full size gun will have about 18, depending on scale. Black powder firing train initiated by a spring fired musket cap. The carriage will have 24" wooden cannon wheels.

Brass 12 gauge cartridges, mounted on a loading strip.
DSCF0235.JPG
View attachment 8246741

The breech, and powder train trough. The full size gun will have a spring fired musket cap to ignite the train.
DSCF0237.JPG

DSCF0241.JPG

Last edited:
You ought to have known better than that, haha.

Always cut 6 inches off the end of the fuse to avoid moisture contamination issues.

Remember?

Although when priming, P for plenty was followed.

Reactions: camocorvette
Long time since I had to cut fuze safety and crimp a detonator to the fuze BUT six (6) inches might be a tad short for the first length off the roll. Too late at night here, to drag out my old SME supplied information.

Before I was eligible to volunteer for Special Forces, I was an Engineer Officer for 7 years. I was a Mech Combat Engineer Platoon Leader, 16th En Bn (C) in 1AD. Later I was Company Commander of B Co, 20th En Bn (C) DS to the 101st Airborne. I've literally blown up tons of stuff. I cut the fuze. I timed it. When I lit the fuze in the video, it was windy. The outer fuze covering caught fire but failed to ignite the powder train inside and simply burned out.

Me with my dog Zeus near the FRG/DDR border. 16EnBn(C)/1AD
zeus 2.jpg

This thing will fire 25 shots each go. I was trying to figure out a cheap way to make cartridges. Not only are 12 gauge brass cases ridiculously expensive, but you can't even find them. I did manage to buy a box off Gunbroker for a not totally insane price but that was all I could find. Did find a source in Australia but it take 4 months for an export license. The solution: I scored a bunch of processed GI .50 cal brass at around .30 per case. Cut off the top and a 16 gauge shot wad fits perfectly. Also ordered some .50 cal sabots for solid bullets.

DSCF0264.JPG

DSCF0263.JPG

DSCF0265.JPG

1697765351967.png

Last edited:
Can't you make them from 50bmg cases the same way they made them for the 12 gauge from hell rounds? Fire form, remove rebated rim, thread back of case, put on rim.

Track of the wolf does seem to have some 12g brass in stock....$8/ea but its an option should the .50 not work out for some reason.

Thanks, I saw that...it's insane. I 50 processed USGI .50 cal brass will work fine. I have 16 ga brass that I think will work and I have 25 12 ga brass that I know will work.
1697947047291.jpeg

View attachment 8236881

Cheers,

Sirhr

Though most are more familiar with the single barrel, cannon like, punt guns used for waterfowl market hunting there were many multi-barrel guns on sneak boats used for same purpose. I always wondered how many of them blew up.

1697984860660.png

Making the cartridge strip. Soldering 16 ga brass cases to a steel bar.

solder paste on the base of the case
DSCF0268.JPG

Case inserted into barrel to assure correct positioning. It's not easy getting 18 cartridges to slide into 18 barrels using old manufacturing methods.
DSCF0269.JPG

Heat the base of the bar, excess solder flows out the bottom.
DSCF0270.JPG