• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think 284win is the real deal.

slapdud

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
Atlanta, Ga
I built this rifle after doing much research. I wanted to shoot the highest BC bullet at competitive speeds allowed at my range (limit 300winmag). So I built a 284win on a stiller TAC300 action,29" Brux MTU contour barrel chambered for the berger 180 hybrid in a B&C medalist stock. With the barrel at 200 rounds she is moving the 180's at 2930fps with superb accuracy. I want to thank Doyle Anglin at dixie gun works for putting together this impressive rifle. Pictures are 600, 400, and 300 yd targets. I am looking forward to stretching her out to 1000yds when the hard rock season starts again.
600.jpg

500.jpg

300.jpg

boltgun.jpg

Re: I think 284win is the real deal.

Is that about a half minute at 600? not much to compare it to for size. Those groups look awesome either way!

2930fps?

Powder and charge?

That is <span style="font-weight: bold">cruising</span>!

I think you'll find that everyone here that has a .284 absolutely loves them. I know I do mine!!

I have a 25" 284 benchmark barrel on my Savage that I have been itching to try, I am guessing you are using RL-17 to get that velocity?

56 gr of 4831sc in lapua brass is doing the trick. I want to do some load development using RL 17 though. If I can get the same accuracy with it except pushing them at 3000fps (the speed limit at hard rock) I think it will be golden.

That is some serious, serious speed with a 180. Reckon you've got a fast barrel. Congrats!

Yeah I was surprised too when we ran them across the chrono. I was expecting to be about 2850.

That's a great speed. I'm getting 2750fps out of a 28" Shilen with 53gr of 4831sc and the 180's.

yep, the 284 is a great caliber, good bullet variety, great speed and outstanding long range accuracy, I am surprised it is not more popular.

Doyle built my 284 shehane also he is a great gunsmith ! Put dont tell everbody our secret ......grin ! I won the smallest group at gun site hills the other week with a 2.3 in group at 600 ! Also was shooting load development and stacked 4 shots all in the same hole at 300 with mine ! Great shooting and one hell of a nice rifle ! Take care let's go shooting .... Isaac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain zeke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doyle built my 284 shehane also he is a great gunsmith ! Put dont tell everbody our secret ......grin ! I won the smallest group at gun site hills the other week with a 2.3 in group at 600 ! Also was shooting load development and stacked 4 shots all in the same hole at 300 with mine ! Great shooting and one hell of a nice rifle ! Take care let's go shooting .... Isaac </div></div>

What load are you using with your shehane?

Just thought I could get more velocity out of the shehane but I'm not running mine hard ! I'm just cruising along and stacking up

Looking back, I should have ordered a Shehane reamer instead of the standard 284 reamer that I did...

...why not?

From my load testing I did not notice an extreme difference in accuracy from speeds 2800 to 2930. I tested loads out to 800 yds and with the 284 it seems like all you to do is feed it powder and copper and it will shoot well.

So long as we're shooting the shit about 284s...

I had a hard-on the size of texas to build one. I built mine on an FN SPR action, and I'm magazine limited to 2.965" or so COAL, but I load the 175smk to 2.950". It shoots well, and goes about 2835fps or so.

Anyway, my partner finally rebarreled his rifle from 308 to 260. I TRIED to convince him to put together a 7mm of some flavor, but he didn't want to. He just wanted to do something solid and proven.

Anyway, we had the chance to do some 400-1500 shooting in some 5-10mph non steady wind a could weeks ago at TVP and it was fun to see how the two cartridges compared, running them side by side. He's running the hornady 140bthp @ ~2850fps from a 26" Bartlein.

Unfortunately, my "killer" 284 setup wasn't really *that* much better. Honestly, he hung right there with me to about 1000 yards. I was needing a tenth or two less wind at 1000, but it wasn't anything crazy. My 284 is about 1/2mrad flatter than his 260 to 1000.

At 1200 yards, I was able to score hits on a 12"x12" plate a bit more consistently than he was, but it wasn't drastic. Neither of us were consistent past 1300 yards, but I was the only one of the two of us to connect past 1300.

The key difference I was seeing between our chamberings, was my splash. When I missed, we saw it. Period. When he missed at ranges past ~900 or so, we had to watch carefully, and even missed a few. Past maybe 1100ish, we missed a LOT of his splashes...meanwhile, even my misses at 1500 were all seen easily.

This all got me to thinking. Mind you, I really like the 284 chambering, because it gets solid, respectable velocity out of the high BC 7mm bullets, without being "overbore" and suffering from particularly poor barrel life like the magnum 7s. However, for typical "tactical match" useage (our main game), the 260 is (gulp) perhaps a better choice. Less recoil, less blast, easier to shoot fast, and totally adequate for tactical useage out to 1000 yards (and we know the 1000 yard tactical shot is a rarity). Plus, it is a lot easier to get/use 10 round magazines with the 260, and again, it's a proven, solid performer. There is a reason it has become so popular.

Don't misunderstand, I LOVE 7s, and I don't regret mine, just sharing some thoughts/experiences.

Turbo - Your build and experience with the .284 really inspired me to want to build one with the blank i have sitting here...then i found a local smith with the Shehane reamer so i thought it was a no brainer.

Then this damn 7mmCM & GPC (same thing?)raised their ugly heads, so now i'm trying to find all the info i can on the CM & GPC mainly because i am using a short action to build this 7mm something and with the reamer for the GPC available from PTG it's getting more confusing by the day haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo - Your build and experience with the .284 really inspired me to want to build one with the blank i have sitting here...then i found a local smith with the Shehane reamer so i thought it was a no brainer.

Then this damn 7mmCM & GPC (same thing?)raised their ugly heads, so now i'm trying to find all the info i can on the CM & GPC mainly because i am using a short action to build this 7mm something and with the reamer for the GPC available from PTG it's getting more confusing by the day haha. </div></div>

Like I mentioned above - looking back, I should have done the Shehane instead. What is there to lose? A little resale value in your brass???

If you go 7CM/GPC, be sure to spec a reamer with suitable neck diameter. I can help with that, as I've necked up a few 6.5CM cases and seated 7mm bullets in them.

What's itching on my brain now is a 7SLR. I'm not sure I can resist the urge, even if just to play with something new.

What sort of ranges do you have to shoot at? If it's for the square range out to 1000, I wouldn't sweat the details. Just pick the one that will get you squeezing the trigger the soonest. If you have UKD stuff out past 1000, I'd say the Shehane is indeed a no-brainer.

Yeah, i'm thinking cool heads should prevail and i'll end up getting him to push the Shehane reamer in. I already have a shit ton of 284 brass sitting here. Does anyone know of a cheaper option to get a FLS Shehane die rather than buy it off Bill? I thought i could get a 284 die modded but my smith said most are hardened and near impossible to ream.

Maybe i'll just neck size for now???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone know of a cheaper option to get a FLS Shehane die rather than buy it off Bill? I thought i could get a 284 die modded but my smith said most are hardened and near impossible to ream.

Maybe i'll just neck size for now??? </div></div>

Almost anywhere has to be cheaper than Bill. I paid ~$400 for my 3 die set from him.

http://www.whiddengunworks.net/sizerdie.html

I believe Jim Carstensen has made them.
Another place to check is Spencer Tool & Grind
I'm sure there's more.

-Rick

I had a 6.5X284 wilson seating die opened up with the chamber reamer no issue. I also had a FL bushing die made. I sold the sizeing reamer I had made afer the die was made. Bob Green in PA took care of the dies for me.

Cheers Switchbarrel and yea, i heard the Wilson ones were reamable.

PTG sells 7/8-14 die "blanks" for cheap...like $25 or something. They have a small thru-hole in them. Just chuck 'em up, indicate, pre-bore, and ream.

Cheers Turbo, seriously, i should've just asked here instead of combing the internet haha.